What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and eryhritol. A piece of cheese.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter, camembert and smoked duck breast.

Dinner: A smallish serving of skirt steak (leftover), some cauli mash, some zucchini and bellpepper in tomato cream sauce. Half an avocado. Dry red wine. Later at night another piece of cheese.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs I can't remember the deal with dark chocolate and your preferences, but all the Lindt I've ever seen has actual sugar in it.
@Annb that is some celeriac I could probably like! I bought some a couple of years ago (not a staple here) but as I recall, little ever happened to it because my fingers cringed at the difficulty of cutting! But that looks enough like fried potatoes that I think it's worth another try.
Thursday
Bfast everlasting avocado, pecans, scrambled eggs (kitchen with remiss on the pre-emptive boiling again), 1.5 sq Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk.
That took forever to eat as I sat out on the patio in the sunshine catching up on paper mail. Warm enough that the chocolate lost its rock-hard-ness. Nice!
Lunch was an anger meal of the remains of the blue cheese. Had to do with careless men not wearing masks and spraying aerosols right through my open windows.
Supper featured a tin of sardines, the cats again enjoying the drained-off water in their supper "skooshies", cherry tomatoes, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy. Olives.
Today is baby-watching day, and wouldn't you know I woke up for good an hour and a half before the alarm. Here is what bfast will be-- I made the same "breakfast ingredients bread" only left out the chopped pecans and didn't slice and re-bake it. As of Thursday morning it was soft and moist, with a fairly fine crumb. I'll see how it tastes in an hour or so.

IMG_1603446760.996874.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w I may well try the advent calendar early as I like the idea of their pralines over Christmas if the erith isn't ghastly - I know at least 2 days in Dec I won't eat any. @zauberflote hug for early waking and hope breakfast was jolly dee- looks functional.This is my preferred LC chocolate - I learned over 5 years most dark is not for me most days but fair play to those who enjoy it. B=Tea; 11.00 am CWC; L: 2 Skinny B toast, dinky piece cheddar and 2 slices Brunswick ham - meh. Big mug of tea - very functional; EM:Salmon and avocado salad - functional+. Dogs will have last of venison when recovered more from their severe privation (I winced)! 2 sons have made sure no wasted meat so all good.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
This morning had to get ready for a med appointment with my GP as was running late didn't have time for breakfast so only took my januvia. but my BSL 6.4 at 10.30am

After my appointment with my GP went to the shops as had to do some shopping. Tested my BSL it was 6.8 took my diamicron and had two sushi rolls

Finished shops and got home had a coffee and a Chocolate chip biscuit

BSL 6.0 before dinner

Dinner fried chicken thigh salad garlic sauce and chips and 2 gin and tonics not the best of meals
And some bread.... over did the carbs today

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today I collected pears from the tree of the lovely old chap I did a few errands for during lockdown. He had too many and offered me some and I thought it would seem ungrateful to refuse. I sliced 40g of one of them very thinly and topped with St Agur it was delicious, I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed it. That was dessert after a lunch of leftover chicken ‘casserole’ from yesterday.
Dinner was 2x Waitrose 1 Free range Cumberland sausages with cauliflower mash and sautéed mushrooms.
@zauberflote hugs for the frustration of early waking and annoying careless men. Your breakfast ‘bread’ looks great.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L : flat chaffle (chaffle mix cooked in a frying pan because I don't have a waffle maker) with a little ham and 3 cherry tomatoes
4pm a handful of nuts
D: a disaster! Was a 3 fish roast from Lidl but as I picked it up to serve the plastic shattered all over the serving plates. The remains and the packaging are going back tomorrow. I've never seen this happen before, big shards of very brittle, hard plastic flew into the food. Very dangerous.
So we ended up with green beans and cheese!

@ianpspurs you are a naughty man. I didn't even know such chocolate treats could even exist. I am trying to forget that they do!

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L : flat chaffle (chaffle mix cooked in a frying pan because I don't have a waffle maker) with a little ham and 3 cherry tomatoes
4pm a handful of nuts
D: a disaster! Was a 3 fish roast from Lidl but as I picked it up to serve the plastic shattered all over the serving plates. The remains and the packaging are going back tomorrow. I've never seen this happen before, big shards of very brittle, hard plastic flew into the food. Very dangerous.
So we ended up with green beans and cheese!

@ianpspurs you are a naughty man. I didn't even know such chocolate treats could even exist. I am trying to forget that they do!
Hug for #plasticgate. These are spiffing IMHO. The cinnamon stars are rather nice - their moulds work well . I don't like stollen but some do.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee.
Skipped lunch.
Coffee shop coconut cappuccino and peanut carb killa bar.
Dinner: (‘Friday night tea as no one can be bothered to cook on Friday!) cold roast chicken drumsticks, leafy salad with cherry tomatoes and pepper, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

3C5ACA25-78B8-4CD8-82A3-6B00CCD96CD9.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B : 3 egg omelette with gouda and mozzarella. Nice and stringy but so little flavour

Skipped lunch but did have a wet walk with a friend

D: roast duck (first I've ever cooked) with roasted butternut squash, some broccoli and a little kale. Tried cooking some extra duck skin in the airfryer to make crackling but it wouldn't quite crisp up. Still tasted good though but had to be eaten straightaway, not kept
Did you score the skin or prick it with a skewer? The trick to crispy duck skin is first, get it as dry as possible - pat with kitchen towel, leave uncovered in a fridge. Second, salt/season it. Third, fat needs to escape so either pierce the skin all over with a metal skewer or use a sharp knife to put little scores in it.
Sorry if someone has already answered but I'm way behind again.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick catch up Tuesday bed 6.5 FBG 6.6
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Pork chop with a spoonful of HM apple sauce and a salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato, M&S mini mozzarella, walnuts. 2 squares 85%.
Wednesday - bed 7.7 (no idea why) FBG 6.4
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with ox tongue & whipped cheese.
L. Nothing boys were here for the afternoon so kept busy feeding/amusing them indoors as it was pouring down.
D. Had prawns needing used so same salad mix as yesterday plus prawns and Marie Rose sauce. Ended up having 4 squares of Godiva.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all, hugs for the stress @Goonergal I polished off 1/2 jar almond butter last night, no stress involved just mindless snacking. Air fried poussin sounds wonderful.

Today I decided on 2 diet doctor keto meals as I don’t think I’m getting the macros right when I wing it.
Lunch: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/quick-and-easy-keto-tuna-zoodle-salad, the raw spiralized courgettes were great, and a nice change from salad leaves.
Dinner: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/kristies-chicken-philly-cheesesteak-casserole , does anyone know what I can use in future instead of Provolone cheese? I only had cheddar and it worked well but I wonder what it was meant to be like.
Cheddar works but other subs you can use are edam, Emmental is quite close. Better ones are fontina and another (not easy to find) taleggio.
Provolone has more of the texture of Emmental.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb Big congratulations on the new arrival!

@maglil55 I see you are still getting through the SLC\ how many days did it take from ordering from Amazon to arriving at your house? I must order more ... to keep up with my supply

@PenguinMum & @Bex72 I hope yous are feeling better and on the mend

@ianpspurs the calendar looks fab, - quite right to get yourself a wee treat especially when it is something you are able to eat and hopefully will add a wee bit of cheer to your festive season

Well what can I say ... since the last time I posted it has been a very mad, stressful, busy time - I have been made redundant from my office 9-5 job which I thought was all I could do, which I have done for the last 30 plus years and well I have got myself a new job in retail! doing all kinds of shifts and a bit of everything from serving on the tills to stacking the shelves which I am thoroughly enjoying it's like a free gym membership, which I am doing in work time and getting paid for it! and the best part is I have lost a few more pounds in weight which I have tried to do since start of lockdown /end of March and now the weight is falling off without even trying ... only thing is I am now back to the rat race and busy busy busy in the wonderful world of work but hey I have got a job and that's the main thing at the moment and keeping safe.

So today's food ...

brunch - greek yoghurt with flaxseed and all the berries.

dinner - Chicken with salad. 2 squares of Lindtt 90% dark chocolate with peanut butter on top. Cup of earl grey tea

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheddar works but other subs you can use are edam, Emmental is quite close. Better ones are fontina and another (not easy to find) taleggio.
Provolone has more of the texture of Emmental.

Ah great, thank you. I knew you’d come up trumps! I can get Emmental fairly easily.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb Big congratulations on the new arrival!

@maglil55 I see you are still getting through the SLC\ how many days did it take from ordering from Amazon to arriving at your house? I must order more ... to keep up with my supply

@PenguinMum & @Bex72 I hope yous are feeling better and on the mend

@ianpspurs the calendar looks fab, - quite right to get yourself a wee treat especially when it is something you are able to eat and hopefully will add a wee bit of cheer to your festive season

Well what can I say ... since the last time I posted it has been a very mad, stressful, busy time - I have been made redundant from my office 9-5 job which I thought was all I could do, which I have done for the last 30 plus years and well I have got myself a new job in retail! doing all kinds of shifts and a bit of everything from serving on the tills to stacking the shelves which I am thoroughly enjoying it's like a free gym membership, which I am doing in work time and getting paid for it! and the best part is I have lost a few more pounds in weight which I have tried to do since start of lockdown /end of March and now the weight is falling off without even trying ... only thing is I am now back to the rat race and busy busy busy in the wonderful world of work but hey I have got a job and that's the main thing at the moment and keeping safe.

So today's food ...

brunch - greek yoghurt with flaxseed and all the berries.

dinner - Chicken with salad. 2 squares of Lindtt 90% dark chocolate with peanut butter on top. Cup of earl grey tea

Good to see you again @Mrs T 123 and that’s great news about your job. It must have been devastating to lose your old one after such a long time, I love your positive attitude!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you again @Mrs T 123 and that’s great news about your job. It must have been devastating to lose your old one after such a long time, I love your positive attitude!
It wasn't just the one job I had done for all that time - but it is only office jobs I have done in the last 30 plus years. You know me I always try to turn a negative in to a positive - although sometimes it can be a challenge but is usually doable - tbh at the moment just happy to have a job as the office side of things is not happening just now with everyone having to work from home and don't know when or if it will change and this job is perfect at the moment with keeping me active.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Still trying to empty the freezer so eating way more than normal. Six weeks ago I was filling it because we were staying in France and I thought another lockdown a distinct possibility.
Today had
Breakfast 2 rashers of streaky bacon with two scrambled eggs and 2x CWC.
Lunch: MrSlim made soup from bacon with all the frozen mangetout and beans, thickened it with celeriac purée, thinking it a little light in calories and eating up everything in sight I added a mashed avocado to mine. Tea.
Cat had a trip to the vets, all sorted there, he is good to go.
Dinner, roast chicken, precooked from the freezer, also ratatouille and the last of the squash. Which roasts very well. Didn't really need the raspberries and Greek yoghurt.
My friend tells me the squash is a Citrouille. A variety of green pumpkin, looking it up it has probably got 13 mg carbs per 100g. No wonder my FBG went silly. We shall see what it is tonorrow.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote - liking the look of the breakfast bread. @ianpspurs - what is your advent calendar? I've been rushing through the posts but can't see what it is. Also what is that Dr Almond chocolate like? It looks like an Italian one you only get at Christmas. Mrs T 123 - well done on the speedy re-employment. I got my SLC 2nd supply direct from them. Amazon took ages. I booked the supply direct from SLC on the Saturday and it arrived on the Tuesday. Good thing with ordering direct is you can order any number.
Thursday - bed 5.8 FBG 6.2
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - oh the joy of an afternoon at the socially distanced Eye Pavilion. They put me in a bit of a flap saying after the field test they thought I had to go for a scan! Turns out it wasn't me and since I'm still stable I have a reprieve and don't have to return for a year.
D. These beef wrap things I make around the sliced peppers and onions and the chilli/tomato sauce. Had some veggie chips with it. Another 2 squares of Godiva.

The one nuisance from the Eye Pavilion is my illness has affected my vision and between the mask and glasses steaming up, I could not get the varifocals in the right place for the distance. They reckon I'd to better with 2 pairs - 1 near, 1 distanced. I've had the current ones less than a year.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today Friday - horrid day. Bed 7.2 FBG 6.3.
One distraught grandson today. The Mummy Guinea Pig died this morning. He nursed her through, brought the other pigs down to be with her and gave her sips of water from a dropper. He did amazingly well but he's distraught because the other pig has lost a sister and the ( now grown ) baby doesn't have a Mummy. Upsetting.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing - took Mum and the two boys to the park to get them out and distracted for a while while Dad & I headed to the shops.
D. Made a quick trip to Iceland so I ended up with the wild shrimp thing with chilli and tomato to which I added spinach, mushroom and more tomato and a cauliflower rice (Iceland also have the individual bags of cauliflower rice back in stock). 2 squares 85%.

DGF order arrived too. The "Not" carrot carrot cake does taste like carrot cake and icing + walnuts. Delicious. Choc mint brownie is a choc mint brownie. After the horrid day I had one of each.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs functional is exactly what that breakfast was. The ingredients taste much better not mixed up and baked. But-- no mess, easy to eat while driving. Your chocolate looks rich and tasty but two of the sweeteners disagree with me. Sigh. Salmon and avocado sound very fine to me. Poor Ian, but you know the dogs will get over it quickly! I really hope you didn't have to watch!
@Mrs T 123 hugs for old-job loss and congrats on positive take on new one! Took me 10 years to see the bright side.
Bfast as pictured up there somewhere, this time it was gooey because I didn't bake it the second time. Gooey and ( @maglil55 ) -->nearly flavorless. I will have to try again next week!
Lunch a deli slice of jack cheese, spoon of peanut butter
Pre-barre class skyr yogurt/olive oil
Supper very quickly eaten before going off to a covid style rehearsal where the flute player requests to play from the front porch....(neighbors loved it!) cherry tomatoes, olives, spinach no hm dressing drat that delinquent kitchen witch, flax crisps/dilute soy, a few pecans, and the less said about after rehearsal the better.
@SlimLizzy I have learned a new squash, thank you!
@maglil55 I'd forgotten Iceland was an actual store.. a week ago you said you'd have to go there for whatever, and today you went-- you had me fooled there!!! Hugs for horrid days....
Goodnight all and good morning sooner than I'd like zzzzzzzz