What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say, in the excitement of it all is we have this happening today:

http://www.foodwithmae.com/recipe-view/maes-slow-roasted-pork-lechon/

We did it before and it is so fabulous that we made up a couple of batched of the "stuffing/aromatics" and vac sealed and frozen them, as that bit of prep, whilst very worth it, can take a while, and making several batches only takes a tiny bit more time than a single batch.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@LaoDan -- Food looks absolutely delicious. Is this all lamb Chinese style? Or only the first dish?

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinted espresso with cream and erythritol. A chunk of cheese.

Lunch: Four quail breasts. Baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Another quail breast, a tiny bit of cauli mash and zucchini and bellpepper in tomato cream sauce. A DD keto roll with butter. Red wine.

Found a recipe for cauliflower tabouleh, which looks delicious -- and not too high carb, if you leave out the raisins. Will probably try it today.

I’ll be interested in your cauli tabouleh recipe when you’ve tried it. I miss that sort of salad.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 the MIL issue over in an hour when we hired a plumber and will bill Homeserve. @MrsA2 @zauberflote needs a Food Fairy. I stumbled into mine in a rugby or cricket club in Surrey, all a bit hazy for some reason. She took me home and apparently, I’ve been married to this same one for 36 years on Tuesday. Who - except Moonpig- knew?. B=Tea; 11.00 am; CWC; .; L: was toast and some left over cold veggies. EM Pork shoulder, roast veggies- basically my salad roasted sans avo - Romaine lettuce not leaves, ?keto gravy. (Takes soo long to eat ½ pig. What is the point of pork chops and sausages*?) [USER=526020]@Mrs T 123 congratulations on getting a new job. @ziggy_w I always like the sound of your food but my inner voice says It will only end in tears for me. I’m hoping to rediscover enjoyment of this WOE. I did from June 2015 to June 2018. Has anyone else had a sticky patch? *stuffing for Porchetta?[/USER]

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
So, you cook the raw lamb at the table? As on a hot stone? What is lotus root like?
The soup base is on a hot plate, once the soup is boiling, grab a slice of lamb with chopsticks and dip it for a few seconds, then eat it. Of course you can dip veggies, tofu, mushrooms etc. this is a lotus root, a bit crunchy texture

185C1400-3E6A-4431-8915-DE3855BC06CB.jpeg

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yesterday

Breakfast
BSL 5.6 mmol/l

1/2 Stone baked sourdough baguette fried egg cheese tomato pancetta plunger black coffee only ate half as got full

Then went to my sisters place for dinner to celebrate her birthday dinner was

Fried chicken ribs potato wedges toss salad and slice of sourdough garlic bread
A slice of my sisters birthday cake lamination sponge with cream and jam and slice of pear pie yep temptation got the better of me 2 x black coffee

BSLs Before bed was 10.4 mmol/l i knew it would be high as ate to much sugar and carbs

Today 25oct

decided today to go back to 30mg diamcron but still 100 of my januvia

Breakfast

BSL 5.8 mmol/l

The other half leftover from yesterday breaking 1/2 Stone baked sourdough baguette fried egg cheese tomato pancetta plunger black coffee.
BSL 4 hours 4.8mmol/l

Lunch

BSL 5.1 mmol/l 5 hours over Breakfast
Leftovers from my dinner on Friday Fried chicken thigh tomatoe cucumber lettuce salad with garlic dressing
Garlic sauce

Afternoon tea
Double choc biscuit plunger coffee

Late Dinner snack BSL 5.6
chicken chicken wing with garlic sauce and thick slice of pineapple and 4 strawberries about 8 Darrell lea dark chocolate bullets.

so I thought strange that I cut my diamcron by half ie 30mg and my BSL was better than when I take 60mg diamcron mmmmm

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The soup base is on a hot plate, once the soup is boiling, grab a slice of lamb with chopsticks and dip it for a few seconds, then eat it. Of course you can dip veggies, tofu, mushrooms etc. this is a lotus root, a bit crunchy texture

View attachment 44896

So, it's a bit like a Mongolian hot pot, isn't? I have a very good Taiwanese friend, who once invited us to this -- enjoyed it very much. Wasn't diabetic then, but now realize it would have been ideal for a ketogenic woe.

The lotus root looks very, very nice, don't think I have ever seen it before. May I ask where you got it?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Two meals today, first at around 11:00 was cheesy scrambled eggs then a handful of walnuts.
Dinner a little later than planned due to a phone all from OH asking me to come and get Dennis - they’d gone out for a walk and OH had slipped and face planted the pavement! A lovely kindly group of folk had gathered there when I arrived and an ambulance had been called. A lady who was just driving back from seeing to her horses covered him with a horse blanket to keep him warm. I was touched at the kindness and concern of these strangers. Paramedic arrived and checked him out then walked us back home to give him a proper once over. He’s fine but his nose and top lip are bloody and swollen. Could have been a lot worse. Daughter commented at one point ‘it’s a good thing you didn’t land on Dennis’ - which wasn’t received well lol! Anyway he’ll be off work for a day or 2 to make sure there’s no concussion ( he drives an HGV so can’t take chances) and the paramedic excused him washing up duties for a couple of days too. @zauberflote how I miss the dishwasher too!
We finally ate Sunday lunch - roast chicken, stuffing, cauli cheese and broccoli. Now having a DGF cake and coffee.
@ianpspurs hope all is fixed in MIL’s world. I hadn’t realised you’d actually enjoyed this woe to begin with. I haven’t been doing it 3 years so can’t compare but I have found I can’t face some of the meals I really liked at the beginning because of their richness.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Two meals today, first at around 11:00 was cheesy scrambled eggs then a handful of walnuts.
Dinner a little later than planned due to a phone all from OH asking me to come and get Dennis - they’d gone out for a walk and OH had slipped and face planted the pavement! A lovely kindly group of folk had gathered there when I arrived and an ambulance had been called. A lady who was just driving back from seeing to her horses covered him with a horse blanket to keep him warm. I was touched at the kindness and concern of these strangers. Paramedic arrived and checked him out then walked us back home to give him a proper once over. He’s fine but his nose and top lip are bloody and swollen. Could have been a lot worse. Daughter commented at one point ‘it’s a good thing you didn’t land on Dennis’ - which wasn’t received well lol! Anyway he’ll be off work for a day or 2 to make sure there’s no concussion ( he drives an HGV so can’t take chances) and the paramedic excused him washing up duties for a couple of days too. @zauberflote how I miss the dishwasher too!
We finally ate Sunday lunch - roast chicken, stuffing, cauli cheese and broccoli. Now having a DGF cake and coffee.
@ianpspurs hope all is fixed in MIL’s world. I hadn’t realised you’d actually enjoyed this woe to begin with. I haven’t been doing it 3 years so can’t compare but I have found I can’t face some of the meals I really liked at the beginning because of their richness.
Hug for Mr DJC - I did the same this summer. MIL solved and that last sentence reassures me no end. Mine seems to be linked to getting down to 73/74 kgs. How much butter goes into keto gravy recipes? - not for me thanks. The versions with heavy cream seem truly hideous to me. Pork shoulder was indeed a heated lump of fatty meat but of a superior provenance.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Sorry to hear about the OH’s mishap, @DJC3

Long drawn out OMAD+ today. Had a very early start (5.23am bus) followed by long, but enjoyable walks in Richmond Park, along the Thames Path and in Kew Gardens. Mix of rain, wind and glorious sunshine as I chalked up a hunger inducing 15 miles.

Bought an individual piece of cheddar, a peperami and a Kind bar at Cannon Street station and ate on the way home. They were followed by a small portion of pork belly slices, cut into pieces, salted, coated in chilli oil and air fried. The main course was 2 small Barnsley lamb chops. Feet firmly up now.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 @zauberflote has a very good memory! See recipe attached. I use chopped almonds/almond butter but peanuts/peanut butter would work. In fact any chopped nuts/nut butter. Do you have the app Copy Me That? A few of us have shared recipes that way and it’s great for storing recipes you come across on the web - can even go direct from a post here into the app.

View attachment 44881
@Goonergal I've added the copy me that app and am trying to copy the recipe, but ti doesn't seem to copy pictures. Does it need the url? If so can you post it? Thanks

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have no idea how it happened, but I did something very similar about this time last year. I split my eyebrow, with spectacular bleeding. Typical me - all show!

I think I might have tripped up on the cobbles I was walking over at what is now forever in our world known as Faceplant Corner.

I was also helped by passers by. A very young couple who were extremely attentive. I was mainly mortified as I searched for tissues to staunch the blood and wipe it off my jacket.

I hope you MrDJC has some decent bruising to show for his time in the wars. Mine generated much sympathy from total strangers.

And to keep with the thread topic; our Lechon at dinner was stupendous! We've both eaten too much, so are slumped on the sofa, watching golf.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I faceplanted embarassingly on only the 2nd day of a 2 month trip to NZ. Thought I'd broken my hip. Turned out that my new "Storm Rider" walking shoes had very slippery soles at the first sign of any wet or damp. Have been petrified wearing them ever since. Have only just round to buying new ones

I assume Dennis wasn't in any way to blame for Mr DJC fall?

L: remnants of last nights chilli with a slice of cheese and the remnants of olives on the side.
D: lamb from the slow cooker (been in worcestheire sauce and soy sauce and a little water with carrots and a leek) served with broccoli and cabbage.
Ff greek with dc and 2 squares 100%

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stayed over at Mum’s so no coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast :wideyed:
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with cookie dough carb killa bar.
Lunch: chicken drum sticks and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and LC granola.
Dinner: chilli con carne and cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and raspberries.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for all the good wishes @DJC3 @Goonergal @ziggy_w @zauberflote @maglil55 @ianpspurs - I do really miss my old job as I did love it but in life the things we can't change we just have to accept and get on with it as best we can and make the most of it.

@ianpspurs Big congrats to you and the Good Food Fairy - I hope yous will have many more happy years together

@DJC3 Poor Mr DJC sometimes you can get a right dull one from a fall - I remember the last fall I had was when I worked at the doctors years ago and I had finished work and wore heels at the time and managed to trip myself up in the middle of the road and the only thing I could think of was I had to get up or I would end up getting run over as it was a dark winters night and then I thought I have helped everyone all day and there's no-one here to help me. I hobbled for weeks. Do take good care of OH some tlc

@Goonergal by coincidence I remembered to buy almond butter at morisons tonight - how long does it last once opened in the fridge and any suggestions what you do with it apart from baking? I was thinking of just putting it on top of my dark chocolate? That was an early start for you this morning - I may have to do 6am starts (not many I hope). My hubby was having a chuckle at me having to work a Sunday but it was actually fine.

@zauberflote I just put a teaspoon of peanut butter on top of a square of lindtt - it feels like a treat and it is for me

Brunch - SLC roll with a bratwurst sausage (leftover from yesterday) and cup of earl grey

Dinner - on the way home from work tonight - my first week back working after 6 months of furlough/redundant I went via the chinese takeaway and had a mushroom and onion omlette and garden peas (so I wasn't too bad) and reckoned I deserved it after working hard (well may be not that hard) - hey I am good to everyone else and decided to be good to myself - a wee welcome back to work treat - well I can't go out to celebrate at the moment so next best thing I say.

Also, since being back to work I find I am less hungry and don't even think about food/snacking - I think with being a lot busier now I am not having time to think about food which is another plus as I do love my food.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- So sorry to hear about your husband's fall. It does sound pretty scary. Hope he recovers soon.
@zauberflote -- Hugs -- would you mind my asking what are the foods you can't tolerate?

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A toasted half of a DD keto roll with mayonnaise with cheese and half an avocado. Three quail's breasts (75g) and a serving of baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with chevre and turkey salami. 20g of 88% chocolate. Dry red wine.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Sorry to hear about OH having a fall.... I hope he is ok and doesn't suffer from concusion or long term issues and heals quickly.....

I remember when I was at work about 15 years ago was rushing trying to fix a clients computer and quickly was turning around and head butted my head hard on a brick wall I can't remember falling down BUt I did fall .. funnily enough all I remember was screaming oh Sh@t in front of group of people and also the Director of our department bahaha oh well....... and ended up with the biggest golf ball lump on my head concused and suffered for years with sever migranes but luckily no longer get them....

Woke up with BSL of 7.9 I know it was from the late night snacking.....

Then had a quick coffee got dressed and Went out to a coffee shop to meet up with my sister for brunch had avocado on toast 2 poached eggs bacon Cherry tomatoes and fetta cheese was dressed with a mustard seed balsamic dressing was really yummy and I'm still very full demolishing it before thought about taking a photo of it ... also first time using the scanning system to register attendance for covid-19 very simple just need to use your camera and it automatically opens up a web page to fill in details....

Not sure if I will have dinner tonight as still quite full but will see how I feel later if I do eat.... although I am currently sitting back at home watching a cooking show on TV making pizza bAhaha lol....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I've added the copy me that app and am trying to copy the recipe, but ti doesn't seem to copy pictures. Does it need the url? If so can you post it? Thanks

Ah. It won’t copy from that as it was a photo. You can search for me in CMT and follow me. Username is Goonergal!

Reactions: MrsA2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal by coincidence I remembered to buy almond butter at morisons tonight - how long does it last once opened in the fridge and any suggestions what you do with it apart from baking? I was thinking of just putting it on top of my dark chocolate? That was an early start for you this morning - I may have to do 6am starts (not many I hope). My hubby was having a chuckle at me having to work a Sunday but it was actually fine.

Ahem. I’ve never stored it in the fridge and frankly, around here it never lasts long enough to even worry about it going off. I can eat the stuff for England. Favourite method was mixing with extra thick double cream. Putting on top of dark chocolate would be good too. In the days that Lidl protein rolls were still available it was also pretty decent on those.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out to a coffee shop to meet up with my sister for brunch had avocado on toast 2 poached eggs bacon Cherry tomatoes and fetta cheese was dressed with a mustard seed balsamic dressing ...
:woot::woot::woot::woot:

B=Tea; 11.00 am; CWC;. L Chicken and cuc sandwich on skinny b. More cuc, leaves and tea; EM: Mackerel and avo salad with flaxseeds. Functional so everythig I can expect. @Mrs T 123 , who said anything about happy? Functional is enough:angelic:

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah. It won’t copy from that as it was a photo. You can search for me in CMT and follow me. Username is Goonergal!
So, I've made an account and found the button but it looks like you want to keep your recipes to yourself!
What am I doing wrong, and what do I have to do to get initiated in your secret recipe circle?

122978552_10222093514961233_1836305937186688873_o.jpg

Reactions: maglil55