The term “new normal “
My results , fasting was pretty high : (
4719F488-B47A-4701-ABD2-C6FF6C88974D.jpeg

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had a blood test because I have been experiencing a fairly substantial hair loss over the last several months - I suspect it was triggered by the 3 months to March this year, immediately after diagnosis, when I was eating very little and certainly not enjoying a balanced diet due to the persistent nausea and appetite loss brought on by 4x metformin a day. But I was strictly LCHF. Anyway, my first post-diagnosis blood test showed that my HBA1C had decreased from 87 to 35, so I halved the dose of metformin and immediately felt much better.

Since then, I have been eating a really good mix of LCHF foods and am de facto keto, although I don’t count my macros. But the hair loss continued. I think it may have stopped over the last couple of months, but I don’t see any new growth. Hence - blood test in case I am missing something nutritionally, and it turns out they did another HBA1C as well.

I didn’t have the scheduled HBA1C in June due to covid, but I halved my metformin dose again at that point to just one a day, and have been taking none at all since the beginning of Sept (which I guess won’t be much reflected in the HBA1C).

Anyway the great news is that my HBA1C is still low at 34! I am very pleased since there has been a whole new raft of potentially-troublesome summer foods to incorporate into my diet which has required a new round of testing, but it seems like I have made the right choices.

The other tests are mostly normal too although I do have some elevated white cell counts, but I suspect that these are due to the pneumonia jab I had the week before, which triggered a fairly major immune response. But I will talk to the doc about that next week. So all looking good, I think. :cat:

So hopefully the hair loss is in the process of sorting itself out and I should see some new hair action fairly soon. Fingers crossed!

Aremjay

I started a LCHF diet eight weeks ago. I have lost 2 stone and my blood glucose readings for the last three weeks have registered between 9 and 3.5, average of 6 over the three weeks. I stopped Lantus and Novorapid as my glucose readings were on the low side. I have today stopped Metformin to gauge the effect on my readings. They have been 6.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 5.8 so very stable. My last A1C was 47 five weeks ago so I imagine it will have fallen in the “normal range”.

Why aren’t all type 1 diabetics told that a LCHF diet can halt diabetes?

I have been trying to diet while taking insulin and Metformin. I’m 69 years old with MS and was diagnosed diabetic twelve years ago. I wish I’d been told earlier. In fact when I went over to insulin I was told I must ensure that I have carbs every meal to prevent hypos.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I was diagnosed on 8 August, my HbA1c when first tested was 78 mmol/mol and my cholesterol was high 6.1 mmol/l.
I was initially put on Metformin, after 6 days I felt so sick to be almost unable to eat so stopped the meds and managed with low carb diet alone.
I was ill in September and into October for 4 weeks with Covid. I'm fine now but still have low energy levels. Covid caused my blood glucose levels to be a little higher than normal (e.g. at my most ill, when not eating, I tested 5.6 on my blood glucose monitor when I'd have predicted 3.2).
I have had my HbA1c repeated and beaten my 20 point reduction target. In fact the nurse said I had done remarkably well (yay). I tested at 51 mmol/ml, however cholesterol was raised at 6.6 mmol/l.
My weight has reduced a lot, I'm guessing at my heaviest (in August) I was 11 stone 12. I am now 2 stone lighter. I am 5 foot 8 tall so my bmi is moving around the green zone.
I don't intend to lose weight now. I just want to regain fitness after covid.
I have met so many lovely, supportive people on this forum. There's a wealth of information here and importantly lots of kindness and help when you need it.
I still have work to do to manage my health but am feeling confident about what has been achieved and optimistic for the future.
A big thanks to all who have shown kindness and support.

Reactions: OB87 and Oldvatr

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started a LCHF diet eight weeks ago. I have lost 2 stone and my blood glucose readings for the last three weeks have registered between 9 and 3.5, average of 6 over the three weeks. I stopped Lantus and Novorapid as my glucose readings were on the low side. I have today stopped Metformin to gauge the effect on my readings. They have been 6.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 5.8 so very stable. My last A1C was 47 five weeks ago so I imagine it will have fallen in the “normal range”.

Why aren’t all type 1 diabetics told that a LCHF diet can halt diabetes?

I have been trying to diet while taking insulin and Metformin. I’m 69 years old with MS and was diagnosed diabetic twelve years ago. I wish I’d been told earlier. In fact when I went over to insulin I was told I must ensure that I have carbs every meal to prevent hypos.

Huge well done, @Aremjay . That's a great post.

Only one thing I would say is that for those living with Type 1, LCHF can make their management easier, and for some it improves their HbA1cs, and could even be argues it could reduce the potential for complications, however, it won't, unfortunately cure or halt their diabetes. Sadly, T1 is a lifelong condition.

For those of us living with Type 2, it can be quite miraculous in terms of how we do, how we live and any medications we might take.

And like everything in life, there are exceptions to every "rule"!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed on 8 August, my HbA1c when first tested was 78 mmol/mol and my cholesterol was high 6.1 mmol/l.
I was initially put on Metformin, after 6 days I felt so sick to be almost unable to eat so stopped the meds and managed with low carb diet alone.
I was ill in September and into October for 4 weeks with Covid. I'm fine now but still have low energy levels. Covid caused my blood glucose levels to be a little higher than normal (e.g. at my most ill, when not eating, I tested 5.6 on my blood glucose monitor when I'd have predicted 3.2).
I have had my HbA1c repeated and beaten my 20 point reduction target. In fact the nurse said I had done remarkably well (yay). I tested at 51 mmol/ml, however cholesterol was raised at 6.6 mmol/l.
My weight has reduced a lot, I'm guessing at my heaviest (in August) I was 11 stone 12. I am now 2 stone lighter. I am 5 foot 8 tall so my bmi is moving around the green zone.
I don't intend to lose weight now. I just want to regain fitness after covid.
I have met so many lovely, supportive people on this forum. There's a wealth of information here and importantly lots of kindness and help when you need it.
I still have work to do to manage my health but am feeling confident about what has been achieved and optimistic for the future.
A big thanks to all who have shown kindness and support.

Great stuff @Bex72 can’t have been easy with Covid going on too.

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Great stuff @Bex72 can’t have been easy with Covid going on too.
Thanks Goonergal, all things considered I am pretty pleased. Covid was an unwelcome additional challenge. Stress levels have been high too. I'll be tested again in January and hopefully be safely in the range where the nurse doesn't talk about meds. Take care B x

Beating-My-Betes

Would this be the area on the forum to set up a daily journal? I realise it would be more of a success-in-the-making/journalling type of affair, but i don't see anywhere more appropriate to document my journay.

Any thoughts/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would this be the area on the forum to set up a daily journal? I realise it would be more of a success-in-the-making/journalling type of affair, but i don't see anywhere more appropriate to document my journay.

Any thoughts/

If you want to do a journal, it's probably best in the Blogs section. It can be found here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blogs/

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

If you want to do a journal, it's probably best in the Blogs section. It can be found here:

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I did originally think about that. However, I wanted to be able to keep all entries within the same thread rather than having to start a new blog every day. Easier for referencing to keep continuity.

Oh well...

Thanks, again.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I did originally think about that. However, I wanted to be able to keep all entries within the same thread rather than having to start a new blog every day. Easier for referencing to keep continuity.

Oh well...

Thanks, again.
You don't start a new blog every day, you just add to it.

Beating-My-Betes

You don't start a new blog every day, you just add to it.

Thanks!

Perhaps I have it confused, but when I look at others' blogs they seem to be shown distinct events for every entry. What I wanted was to be able to update the first post of the journal with daily numbers etc., while expanding on the details throughout the thread. In blog form, it'd mean that I'd have to go back to edit all previous blogs to reflect this 'headline' changes, right? But also, distinct entries don't allow continuity of conversation as easily with other members, assuming others take an interest ;)

Are you able to point me to a blog that has been running as one single entry, having been updated, revised etc., over a longer period of time?

Many thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!

Perhaps I have it confused, but when I look at others' blogs they seem to be shown distinct events for every entry. What I wanted was to be able to update the first post of the journal with daily numbers etc., while expanding on the details throughout the thread. In blog form, it'd mean that I'd have to go back to edit all previous blogs to reflect this 'headline' changes, right? But also, distinct entries don't allow continuity of conversation as easily with other members, assuming others take an interest ;)

Are you able to point me to a blog that has been running as one single entry, having been updated, revised etc., over a longer period of time?

Many thanks.

Chosen for no other reason than it is at the top of the list. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/vic-hill.75260/

Beating-My-Betes

Chosen for no other reason than it is at the top of the list. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/vic-hill.75260/

Thanks! I definitely see it working if used as infrequently as the given example, and especially when each blog post deals with it's own different, self-contained topic. But it'd become really unwieldy very quickly if one were to try to follow somebody journalling 365 days a year.

My idea was to journal daily stats, as well as post photos of meals etc. Every day would be exactly the same. In thread format, it'd be possible to scroll through many days worth, on a quick scroll of each page (Comments from other members, notwithstanding). In blog format, that'd involve entering into each daily blog entry, then leaving, clicking on another. And as I said, there would be no continuity of comments, between blogs.

Ultimately, if this is something that nobody is interested in, or that 'the management' would refuse to implement, then all's good. However, if there is a possibility then this is my feature-request.

Cheers!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I definitely see it working if used as infrequently as the given example, and especially when each blog post deals with it's own different, self-contained topic. But it'd become really unwieldy very quickly if one were to try to follow somebody journalling 365 days a year.

My idea was to journal daily stats, as well as post photos of meals etc. Every day would be exactly the same. In thread format, it'd be possible to scroll through many days worth, on a quick scroll of each page (Comments from other members, notwithstanding). In blog format, that'd involve entering into each daily blog entry, then leaving, clicking on another. And as I said, there would be no continuity of comments, between blogs.

Ultimately, if this is something that nobody is interested in, or that 'the management' would refuse to implement, then all's good. However, if there is a possibility then this is my feature-request.

Cheers!
Followers can follow the blog, in which case, it appears chronologically, as you suggest you would like it to.. If you were to make entries daily, your entry title could easily just be the date

Beating-My-Betes

Followers can follow the blog, in which case, it appears chronologically, as you suggest you would like it to.. If you were to make entries daily, your entry title could easily just be the date

I get it. It's just really not the same thing. I do appreciate you sticking with me, and offering suggestions. However, I think I'll probably just forget about it, for now.

Thanks, again :D

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's wonderful news! Be very proud of what you have achieved.