What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How does he squeeze out the water? This sounds very good!
They did it with grated potato on Masterchef last night. Let it sit for a few minutes then put it in a muslin cloth, twisted the top and squeezed. I was astonished at the amount of liquid that came out of raw potato (they did salt it as well but I don't see that making a difference with cauliflower).

PS I'm miles behind again!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mega catch up. I'm still working through well over 100 posts so apologies if I miss anything. Firstly, thanks for the birthday wishes whether they were early (not belated), on the day or belated (belated). @Goonergal, the instrument of torture works well and I hope to get more time to use it a little bit more than I have. @Annb - I hope your extraction is no longer causing you issues. I am amazed at your prune/plum consumption! @Mrs T 123 - Did you receive your SLC replacement rolls? The answer may be in the many posts I still have to read. As I think I said already, I can't fathom out how I get mine in 24 hrs when you are just the opposite side of Edinburgh to me. My DGF order is a different matter as it seems to love residing in Peterborough for a few days! DGF did get it moving from there on Sunday though so I didn't have to bin the replacement.
Wednesday 25 Nov - my birthday and peppered with the worrying news about my brother (no more news at the moment)
Bed 8.2 FBG 8.1 - pretty much all over the place.
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with egg mayo
L. Nothing
D. Believe it or not I just made an aubergine parmigiana. Couple of squares of 85%. So no alcohol either.
Thursday 26 November. Bed 7.8 FBG 8.7. Stress I guess.
B. TAG and a SLC cheese and ham toastie with Ham & edam slices.
L. Nothing
D. Boys were here are normal for dinner and I didn't much feel like eating. Had another SLC sandwich though with egg mayo this time.
Friday 27 November - bed 8 FBG a bit better at 7.7
B. TAG and yet another SLC toastie with ham & cheese.
L. Nothing
D. I had prawns needing used so had a salad of prawns, smoked salmon, lettuce, avocado, mini mozzarella and tomato.
Saturday 28 November - bed 7.7 FBG 7.1. A pretty stable day as far as BGs are concerned.
B. TAG and yet another SLC cheese and ham toastie with tomato as well this time.
L. Nothing out on the usual shopping run with son.
D. Stuck to cold cuts - slice each of ox tongue, chicken breast, leg of pork, haslet and mortadella. Lettuce, tomato, avocado, waldorf and coleslaw. Much later 2 squares 85%.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - I'm with you on the Star Anise. Like you I loath the stuff. Still not at the end of the posts but you're still on prunes? Are your BGs coping with them. @shelley262 - that Welsh place looks interesting and the bread wonderful. Has anyone bought the seeded bloomer yet? The SLC bread suits me currently as I am enjoying sandwiches & toasties again and it is perfect bread for that. I've also screenshot your adapted bread recipe to look at later. Will probably CMT it. @ziggy_w nice to see you back again. @zauberflote - since you're in the USA you'll be able to get the THM brands (Trim Healthy Mamas). I have a pretendy THM baking blend on my CMT that I experimented with but, since I've never tasted the real McCoy I don't know how close it is. It does taste good though.
Sunday 29 November - bed 7.3 FBG 6.9. Much more stable.
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing.
D. Usual campari and soda but no Prosecco. Morrisons had run out of the smaller bottles I usually buy. An unusual dinner. Hubby fancied mussels & chips so I had sole cooked in butter & lemon with some mussels alongside. Actually quite enjoyed it. 4 squares 90%.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popping in to say @DJC3 can I borrow Paul to go meat shopping for me? :D:hilarious: Is the lamb recipe with anchovies in your CMT?

To stay vaguely on topic, just downing a Teaolat with cream and a glass of iced water, having taken today’s meat supplies out of the freezer, although I then remembered there are already some chicken wings marinating in the fridge!
I stab lamb joints with cloves of garlic, rosemary and a squeeze of lemon juice.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 30 November bed 7.3 FBG 6.9. @DJC3 - I know exactly what you're going through with your BGs as mine are even worse than yours but they are stabilising again mostly although I've had some awful ones at 9's and even a 10.2. I had a combination of things going on. We got our flu jabs last Thursday and I had a reaction to it which left me a bit off. I'm stressing about my brother and my gall bladder has been acting up (I've had gall stones for years). It's settling again now thankfully. Hugs. Hope your bloods are OK. we're still virtual. There wasn't another soul in the practice when we went for our flu jabs.
Edited - forgot to add my food!
@DJC3 also meant to say that because my BGs were all over the place I got a couple of Libre sensors which was helpful as I could see when the swings were occurring. It was coming up for the change tomorrow and I always insert a day early to let it settle. May not work though. I got a bleeder! Hubby was in a flap because blood was running down my arm and was very visible through a cream jumper! I was more interested in cleaning it up and getting Tegaderm on it before the sensor fell off. Been ages since that happened.
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich of cheese and haslett.
L. They arrived so I had to have a DGF no carrot carrot cake.
D. A tandoori chicken breast with peppers, onion and a katsu curry sauce. Did a cauli egg fried rice which worked well with spring onion, peas, Tamari soy and of course, egg. Had to have another DGF no carrot.

I have 3.5 boxes of DGF in the freezer!

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Bsl 6.8 this morning took my usual meds

Breakfast made a 2 egg omelette with cheese ham and tomato and a one and half slices of sourdough rye bread 6 carbs per slice. Only ate half of omelette as got full. But my excitement for the day is I actually used a stainless steel pan to cook my omelette and found a way to make a stainless steel pan non stick and it worked so no more eggs or other foods sticking to the pan. Lol I know this may sound silly to post but I refuse to buy non stick frying pans so was pretty excited to discover this method of making a stainless steel pan non stick and it actully working..... ok I've talked about this way to much .... yes I know I seriously need a hobby lol...

Then about 4 hours later my bsl dropped to 4.3 mmol although wasn't hungry but felt weird and like I should eat something so had an apricot.

Then around 4.30pm Mowed my front yard. after I'd done that I was really hungry so heated up a fresh pizza that was intended for lunch yesterday to share with a friend who was supposed to pop over for lunch but had to cancel popping over. I Had no room to freeze it in my freezer so had that for dinner it was a small size pizza but surprisingly was really hungry and **** ate it all which is strange as been getting full quickly but tonight I was starving and just had to eat it! It was crazy! sometimes I wonder why that happens...

Thinking of everyone in England... We have been lucky here in Australia with covid19 I think part of our success of late has been that when finding new cases early here we've been able to then stop the chains of transmission.

Sending hugs to everyone in England I've Been thinking about you all with covid19 3rd wave and heard about the vaccine to be distributed.
Hopefully all goes well with plan and helps kick covid19 in the butt.... prayers sending you way.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the rest of the Brussels hash and a couple of fried eggs.
Picked at the Christmas pie when No 2 son arrived and decided to cut into it. Wrong spices for me! He thought it was fine, so he took it for lunches (he might cut it into slices and freeze some of it). I should have used ginger, not mace and nutmeg. I might make a similar mixture as a terrine in future but change the spices and maybe put in something a bit more fatty - the birds are quite dry without skin. Had a little bit of the hot water crust - it was good! Had to send it away before I took more.
Dinner will be a vegetable stew of some kind. I have half a courgette to use, some tomatoes, an aubergine, some peppers and, of course, some onions. Should manage something half decent with that. Had enough protein today already.
Still on the prunes @maglil55. Those and Dulcolax are making only a little difference. BG is not too bad considering.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha Paul calls them chooky eggs too. I asked granddaughter if she wanted me to mash the egg, she said no and did it herself with the kitchen scissors. Cutting with the blades in the cup - I was impressed, very efficient.
I have 3 pairs of kitchen scissors because I use them for about everything (raw meat - always, even sausages I want to use cut up, but also to clean string beans and even to cut pre-sliced cheese) but I'm not very good at doing the dishes in any regular way, so I need multiple kitchen scissors :D
But my excitement for the day is I actually used a stainless steel pan to cook my omelette and found a way to make a stainless steel pan non stick and it worked so no more eggs or other foods sticking to the pan. Lol I know this may sound silly to post but I refuse to buy non stick frying pans so was pretty excited to discover this method of making a stainless steel pan non stick and it actully working..... ok I've talked about this way to much ....
If you're going to talk much anyway, why not share how you did this magic? I was on the edge of my chair, waiting for the secret, and then.... Nothing!

Strange meals the last couple of days. The day before yesterday was one of those 'no I won't' days. So I didn't want to cook but also didn't want to have all the diabetes work which comes with a ready meal or take-away. (Heck, I didn't even want to go out to get take-away!) I also hadn't wanted to get up and turn on the heating for too long, so by the time I got hungry I was too cold to settle for a low carb sandwich, as I wanted warm food. Ended up with a very satisfying but ridiculous meal of a whole 'rookworst' (Dutch smoked sausage) I found in the freezer and nothing else (didn't want vitamins either).

129147504_10222354799933194_4893106153545681964_o.jpg

Yesterday I still didn't feel like cooking much, but at least I was up to doing something in the kitchen again. And I wasn't as cold as the day before, so cold food wasn't a problem :)
Ended up with a big plate of tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, balamic vinegar and salt and pepper, some tapas shrimp and three very small hasselback potatoes, both from Lidl. And of course mayonnaise to go with the potatoes, I'm Dutch after all :hilarious:

128858219_10222354809293428_4943100655617089268_o.jpg

Today will be 'real' food again: Brussels sprouts with cream cheese and bacon, and a burger fried with onions. Perhaps another of those hasselback potatoes again, not sure about that yet :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. And hugs to you @maglil55 for the erratic and really annoying BGs I sympathise. Gall stones rumbling and the stress can’t have helped.
Another day of OMAD and almost carni. Coffee and tea aplenty all day.
Mug of bone broth around lunchtime.
Dinner was some slow cooked pulled beef from the freezer. I tried to make little pies with presliced cheese as the pastry - borrowing idea from @shelley262 ‘s lasagne and @Antje77 ‘s tuna melt cases. It wasn’t brilliant, looked very messy. I saw someone on Facebook had done this and hers looked great.
That should have been sufficient food really but I felt in need of a treat and had 1 Montezuma’s peanut butter miniegg.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for @maglil55 for all the stress and attendant raised bg and @DJC3 for higher bgs lately. Still winter and everything I don't like but obviously could be worse. 5.00 am wakeup - mid range. Not quite a fast during daylight hours but I’d say good enough. B= Very much Assam TWAMIS: Dockey: CWCCS. bg fell by .7 at 2 hrs - meh : Lunch: Bone broth (from concentrate) and ACV - another .7 fall: Pre-EM (Hungry by 4.30) Thin SB crust toasted and smeared with Holy Moly: EM @ 6.20 so hungry by them: Mackerel and avocado salad; Vits: Key: ACV = Apple cider vinegar; TWAMIS: Tea with inulin, almond milk and sweeteners. I think all my acronyms are explained now

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Antje77 that Rookwurst looks like a very sensible carnivore meal to me :D
@maglil55 your capacity to catch up/keep on top of all the posts is amazing. Thanks for the update on the ‘instrument of torture’. Think I’m going to invest in one.

TMAD today. Once again at lunch time I didn’t fancy the kippers in the fridge (they’re second best Waitrose ones not the nice M&S Arbroath ones). Popped out to buy a rotisserie chicken instead. Whoever said you can’t overeat meat is wrong. Ate at least half of it.

Then couldn’t be bothered to cook so had cold chicken, Mestemacher bread and a pickled onion for dinner.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and DGF ‘not’ carrot cake, (my delivery arrived :)).
Dinner: mushroom, tomato and cheese omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Blood drawn this afternoon for my HbA1c, please don’t anyone ask me how many times I log into my Patient access over the next few days waiting to get the result :joyful:

Sugarlisa

Branflakes with handful berries and semi skimmed milk and mint herbal tea from my advent calendar for breakfast

Lunch grated carrot, cherry tomatoes,cabbage,lettuce,cucumber,pepper salad with wafer ham and wafer chicken and salad cream and sugar free dilute in a pint glass

Tea beef stir fry with wholemeal noodles and peppermint tea and water

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 that Rookwurst looks like a very sensible carnivore meal to me :D
That's exactly what I kept telling myself like a mantra: 'Plenty of very sensible and healthy diabetics who eat meals like this all the time so no need for veggies' :hilarious:.

I'm a firm believer in veggies being necessary, but my belief is not based on anything in particular. I'm pretty sure it doesn't harm me though, and besides, I like vegetables, so I have no need to question this belief re my own diet :).
I probably read too many childrens books on young shipmates in the 17th century where half the crew died from scurvy. As a 9 year old I was particularly impressed by the part where sufferers from scurvy had a rotten dead rat put on their stomachs as treatment (didn't work), especially because I loved my pet rat.
Anyway, those books worked pretty good to get me to eat my fruits and veggies at the time :D

Dinner was lovely, Brussels sprouts with cream cheese and bacon, burger, lots of onion, no potatoes, wonderful bg's.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mega catch up. I'm still working through well over 100 posts so apologies if I miss anything. Firstly, thanks for the birthday wishes whether they were early (not belated), on the day or belated (belated). @Goonergal, the instrument of torture works well and I hope to get more time to use it a little bit more than I have. @Annb - I hope your extraction is no longer causing you issues. I am amazed at your prune/plum consumption! @Mrs T 123 - Did you receive your SLC replacement rolls? The answer may be in the many posts I still have to read. As I think I said already, I can't fathom out how I get mine in 24 hrs when you are just the opposite side of Edinburgh to me. My DGF order is a different matter as it seems to love residing in Peterborough for a few days! DGF did get it moving from there on Sunday though so I didn't have to bin the replacement.
Wednesday 25 Nov - my birthday and peppered with the worrying news about my brother (no more news at the moment)
Bed 8.2 FBG 8.1 - pretty much all over the place.
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with egg mayo
L. Nothing
D. Believe it or not I just made an aubergine parmigiana. Couple of squares of 85%. So no alcohol either.
Thursday 26 November. Bed 7.8 FBG 8.7. Stress I guess.
B. TAG and a SLC cheese and ham toastie with Ham & edam slices.
L. Nothing
D. Boys were here are normal for dinner and I didn't much feel like eating. Had another SLC sandwich though with egg mayo this time.
Friday 27 November - bed 8 FBG a bit better at 7.7
B. TAG and yet another SLC toastie with ham & cheese.
L. Nothing
D. I had prawns needing used so had a salad of prawns, smoked salmon, lettuce, avocado, mini mozzarella and tomato.
Saturday 28 November - bed 7.7 FBG 7.1. A pretty stable day as far as BGs are concerned.
B. TAG and yet another SLC cheese and ham toastie with tomato as well this time.
L. Nothing out on the usual shopping run with son.
D. Stuck to cold cuts - slice each of ox tongue, chicken breast, leg of pork, haslet and mortadella. Lettuce, tomato, avocado, waldorf and coleslaw. Much later 2 squares 85%.
Yes - received the order just today (while out at work) - I would love mine to be delivered within 24 hours (they should be as the postage has been paid for it!) and then you know they are lovely and fresh - so burgers for dinner tomorrow I guess - just for a change ...and rolls on bacon, egg .... and fresh sandwiches for lunch tomorrow ....

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didnt get to bed until about 1 am last night and was very hungry as i laid there trying to get to sleep. Thought would have nice low fbg when I did wake but no, 5.8. Unsurprisingly I was still hungry so breakfast of ff greek with seeds, chocolate granola and blueberries.
L a very nice homemade veg soup with some Stilton crumbled in it
D corned beef crust quiche of spinach, ham and cheese with salad and guacamole.

Last week we couldn't eat any of the delivered avocados because they remained like bullets until they went bad. This week they have all come to ripeness at the same time :arghh:
Anyone have any tips on how to buy and mange avocados? They must be the thing I throw away most

A glass or 3 of wine with an online zoom catchup this evening

Oh! Also when looking in the Christmas cupboard found a whole Stollen. "Last years" I thought to myself but no, best before 12/02 2019!!! So had to try it. OK marzipan is a bit dark but tastes fine. Sadly, thought I'd find it too sweet but no it was lovely and it was really difficult to walk away from it. Boys are under strict instructions to keep it out of my sight and to demolish it within 2 days

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Virtual hugs to @maglil55 for all your stresses - do take care of yourself x

11am - 2 slices slc bread toasted with corned beef & tomato. Mug of earl grey tea. 2 squares lindtt 90% dark with peanut butter on top

7pm - chicken breast with a little piri piri sauce, brussel sprouts, broccoli & a couple of carrots with melted butter over the top. SF jelly with soya cream drizzled over the top. Mmm 3 of my son's chips from the chippie - bad but good!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@OzBlossom I remember a summer we had like that here in 1977. I was renting with friends, no AC, 100F day after day, riding my bike to my summer job in a department store. It was fine except at stop lights, and the store itself was cool. Oh to be 25 again....
@shelley262 hope the water is bearable. AndGoodFor You on freezing your cakes!
Welcome @AlisaFrost !
@maglil55 you are a better woman than I. I am reading all the posts but some of my responses were 2 days old so I deleted them lol. I just give up Thanks for the reminder about THM; I can't remember why I didn't pursue that the last time somebody mentioned it. You can eat 4 squares of Lindt 90% with no ill effects??? At the very least I would sleep terribly, and most likely my heartbeat would take strenuous exception. I am jealous.
@annabell1 no, I also refuse to buy teflon/etc pans. They start shedding after a short while and the stuff is toxic. You did not mention your how-to secret!! Please tell?
@Rachox not asking but hoping for a personal best!
@Antje77 I seem to remember the scurvy argument being used in my childhood too! My sister hates peas so much she never gave them to her kids!
@MrsA2 I'm very good choosing avocados, and generally my Kroger has at least some that are of differing ripenesses. I appear to have passed the gift on to my non-veggie-eating son, who shops for me now. I het the smaller Haas ones. I never choose one with a bumpledy skin-- it will go bad before ripening. Between us we eat 7/week. I buy 8, because one lemon is to be expected. I set them out on the buffet next to a window, and check every one pretty much every day. If they are at the stage of "softness" that I like, into the crisper they go, where they will keep for a few days. I think you can freeze mashed avocados with a little lemon juice but they won't be pretty when you thaw them. I've never tried that I can recall.
Hugs, encouragements, and cheers where I have left them out!
Bfast boiled egg, half-zweibach bread/dilute soymilk, 1 sq plus a little bit Lindt 90%
Lunch the rest of the zweiback, what pecans I hadn't eaten in the meantime, rest of soymilk. Some crispy mouthfuls of bad stuff.
Got home from the day's baby-watching ravenous and wiped out. Look! Costco mixed nuts! Too many of those as pre-supper
Supper cherry toms, spinach/hm dressing, cottage cheese, and flax crisps to come, with dilute soymilk.
Thinking of UK-ers as your vaccine rolls out.
Goodnight all, sleep well, wake rested!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I seem to remember the scurvy argument being used in my childhood too! My sister hates peas so much she never gave them to her kids!
Ah, to be fair to my parents, neither used the scurvy argument, it was just me and books!
And I still love peas! (Preferably straight from the pot with a spoon while standing in the kitchen :sorry:)