What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday and today breakfasts as per usual HiLo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch yesterday was two chunks one each of Shropshire Blue (current obsession) and mature cheddar, a slice of ham and a spoon of coleslaw. Supper was Tandoori King Prawns (4) and cauli bhajee.
Today had scrambled eggs for lunch.
Roast chicken later with celeriac and broccoli.
@Goonergal hope you get better soon. @DJC3 great idea about the Nespresso machine by your bed, what a lovely view to wake up to.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Onlinecaroline agree with Brunneria your chicken sounds delicious. Will give it a go.

TMAD today. Lunch was mince (loving the Lidl 25% mince - so tasty and so cheap!) fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese. Could live on that meal. Always hits the spot.

Dinner was 2 chicken thighs wrapped in streaky bacon and air fried.

4B95DB4B-3F01-4CD7-9E32-88E931906228.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD today, but a very long drawn out meal. Hard to test before and after when we were still at the table after 2 hrs.
Roast chicken, cauli cheese ( decided to test out my cream reaction by having a little bit of sauce) buttered cabbage, buttery, peppery mashed swede and, joy of joys a teaspoon of ordinary stuffing. Few glasses of wine and cheese and biscuits to follow ( actually microwave flaxseed crackers)
@Onlinecaroline your chicken dinner sounds lovely, that will be in my menu soon I think.
@annabell1 that coffee foam ( they call it crema makes it seem such a luxurious drink, I loved it.
@PenguinMum I love Shropshire blue too. ( I love most cheese really)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 6.3 FBG 6.6 - Only 1/2 a day home schooling but got a bit more done on our Great Fire of London project.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. Had some prawns needing eaten. Salad of prawns, Marie Rose sauce, lettuce, few santini tomatoes, spoonful of the Polish veggie salad and about a 1/4 avocado by the time I trimmed it. One of the Lidl Active ice cream lollies - chocolate one on the lucky dip in my freezer!

Saturday - cold but no snow thankfully. Bed 6.2 FBG 5.7.
B. TAG and eventually SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Out for shopping via brother's to drop a cafetiere in (they'd broken their's and I have quite a few). Decided to stay awhile as he wasn't tired. Got back from shopping so late Hubby phoned to see where I was!
D. Cold meats - slice each haslet, roast beef, ox tongue, 1/2 slice turkey, veggie chips and a spoonful of that Polish veggie salad. Another Lidl lolly - vanilla this time.

Reactions: annabell1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and 1/2 pack of coconut bites.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and 2 x marmite cheese portions and sweet drop red peppers.
Dinner: chicken stuff with pork and apple, one tiny roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
7D4E5FFE-60A1-4F4C-9A64-76116D2E0F24.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An 11:30 start (snow cancelled planned walk) of porridge made witha tablespoon each of coconut flour and milled linseed heated with almond milk, but the sweetened one as asda delivered wrong. Tasted OK and was only about 10g carbs, but did cause some interesting tummy sounds! An lc hot choclate made with the same almond milk

D:=roast pork with spoon of stuffing and one Yorkshire, leeks and cabbage, carrots and swede, broccoli, gravy.
Shared plates with 3 lone neighbours... was interesting delivering in snow and ice.
A new lc pudding.. add 200g boiling water to sugar free jelly. While it cools a bit whip 250g double cream and 250g ff greek together until just holding shape, then whisk in jelly. Pour into 8 ramekins (or one large dish). I also threw in about 6 frozen blackcurrants per portion (it was a blackcurrant jelly). Put in fridge to set.
Became a very tasty mousse. Could dress it up with more cream and fruit. Abiut 2.2 g per portion.
Think it will become a regular as can change flavour of jelly and additions.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD today, but a very long drawn out meal. Hard to test before and after when we were still at the table after 2 hrs.
Roast chicken, cauli cheese ( decided to test out my cream reaction by having a little bit of sauce) buttered cabbage, buttery, peppery mashed swede and, joy of joys a teaspoon of ordinary stuffing. Few glasses of wine and cheese and biscuits to follow ( actually microwave flaxseed crackers)
@Onlinecaroline your chicken dinner sounds lovely, that will be in my menu soon I think.
@annabell1 that coffee foam ( they call it crema makes it seem such a luxurious drink, I loved it.
@PenguinMum I love Shropshire blue too. ( I love most cheese really)
microwave flaxseed crackers - please share the recipe - I have lots of flaxseed to use up

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 i make mousse this way too fave is sf lemon and lime mix sachet mixed with a half pint of boiling water mixed and put to cool then two lemons zested and juiced add zest and juice to jelly. I then whip double cream about a quarter of a pint and then add to cooled jelly and lemon mix and pour into individual ramekins. I also do one with raspberries and cream with raspberry sf jelly!
OMAD today beef brisket with oven baked veg including broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes and pepper with glass of red wine. Pudding DGF salted caramel cake with yoghurt. After decaff coffee and lc hm choc truffle.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - warm chia porridge with added flaxseeds, cinnamon, berries on top and on top of it all half of a small benecol cup raspberry flavour which really gave it a good taste thanks to @Rachox - I had just assumed these were high in sugar and off limits for me

Inbetweeners - cheese, nuts & a highlights hot chocolate with a little double cream on top (to heat me up - it was bitter cold and snowing today)

Dinner - warm chargrilled chicken & avocado salad. For afters - my lc gooey mess made with melted peanut butter & 90% lindtt done in the microwave with some double cream - yum

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG....who, what, where, when. I need this, want it, must have.
This was from Warlingham on the South London/Surrey border, but most fishmongers will do one, or even a supermarket with a fish counter. Just watch the prices.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 i make mousse this way too fave is sf lemon and lime mix sachet mixed with a half pint of boiling water mixed and put to cool then two lemons zested and juiced add zest and juice to jelly. I then whip double cream about a quarter of a pint and then add to cooled jelly and lemon mix and pour into individual ramekins. I also do one with raspberries and cream with raspberry sf jelly!
OMAD today beef brisket with oven baked veg including broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes and pepper with glass of red wine. Pudding DGF salted caramel cake with yoghurt. After decaff coffee and lc hm choc truffle.
Tell more more ... lemon & lime mixed sachet that would be a different flavour for me - who makes it? could I get it in Morisons or Tescos?

Onlinecaroline

@Brunneria @Goonergal @DJC3 - the chicken is great. Very quick and easy, and if you sear the Serrano ham before the oven it almost takes like a chicken Kiev!

Managed my first 20 hour fast today. Thought I might do OMAD but the hunger got the better of me about 5pm. So had 100g of Matheisons smoked sausage, 3 slices of chorizo and a dollop of Boursin.

Takeaway tonight - garlic butter chicken tikka, chicken chaat wings and a few spoonfuls of saag paneer. Going to count 10g because it was mainly all meat, no sauce and a quarter of a pattaks poppadum.

2 squares Lindt Mint Intense and a cuppa.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tell more more ... lemon & lime mixed sachet that would be a different flavour for me - who makes it? could I get it in Morisons or Tescos?
It’s Hartley like all the others lovely range of flavours in sugar free -raspberry, strawberry,black currant and lemon and lime. Should be able to get from large supermarket I get mine on my online Waitrose currently but sure I bought in past from other supermarkets.
It’s about £1 for a twin pack from supermarket however I .did check and they do on amazon in multipacks it’s a bit more about 1.50 a twin pack. Btw sometimes I just do the jelly plain or add in some lemon or lime zest and juice - just count juice as part of total liquids -or some frozen berries in it, depending which flavour I use. you can then set in big bowl and then serve a spoonful or so with cream or yoghurt. It tastes lovely both ways!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria @Goonergal @DJC3 - the chicken is great. Very quick and easy, and if you sear the Serrano ham before the oven it almost takes like a chicken Kiev!

Managed my first 20 hour fast today. Thought I might do OMAD but the hunger got the better of me about 5pm. So had 100g of Matheisons smoked sausage, 3 slices of chorizo and a dollop of Boursin.

Takeaway tonight - garlic butter chicken tikka, chicken chaat wings and a few spoonfuls of saag paneer. Going to count 10g because it was mainly all meat, no sauce and a quarter of a pattaks poppadum.

I find it easier to do OMAD if eat main meal between 5 and 6. I prefer to eat main meal early but it’s not possible or practical for everyone.
Edit to add you are doing really well @Onlinecaroline well done on your 20hours

Last edited:

Onlinecaroline

I find it easier to do OMAD if eat main meal between 5 and 6. I prefer to eat main meal early but it’s not possible or practical for everyone.
I’ll definitely do that next time, thanks! Husband wanted to hang off tonight as it’s the super bowl and he didn’t want the temptation of snacking while it’s on.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When I do OMAD I usually do it as a late lunch/early dinner - usually around 2-3pm - I usually find that is the latest time I can wait to break my fast ... and then just try not to think about food the rest of the night and go to bed a bit earlier than I usually would

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Gone a bit quiet in here!

On the OMAD theme, I find it much easier on days I'm out walking as I don’t seem to get hungry while I’m active. I always aim to eat my last meal no later than 6pm and earlier than that if possible. For OMAD around 3.30 or 4 is ideal. As I’m up anywhere between 4 and 5am, even days where I succumb to breakfast at around 9 or 10am it feels quite late!

Anyway, back to the topic. TMAD again today. Lunch was my favourite mince fried with onions, eggs and cheese. Can’t have too much of that!

Quick dinner as I was out at an appointment at the end of the afternoon, so no time to cook. Cold lamb leftover from the weekend with a couple of small pickled onions.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD today again
Pork loin wrapped in prosciutto and fried in butter with salads and a glass of soda water with dash of bitters
Pudding sf raspberry jelly with a teaspoon of cream followed by Black decaff coffee and one hm lc truffle.