What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you get the Aldi nut bar recently? - I thought they had stopped doing them - I tried to get them about a month ago and couldn't they said they thought they had stopped doing them

I’ve had them in the last couple of weeks, maybe it was old stock though I hope not.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.4 FBG 6.1. Give grandson his due, despite being upset over the death of the guinea, he still got stuck into his home schooling.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. The beef wrap things stuffed with sliced peppers and onions and the spicy sauce. Had it with one of these Iceland creamy broccoli & cauliflower souffle thingies. Another of Lidl's Active vanilla lollies - gee I am addicted!
I was supposed to be at physio but the amount of snow dumped overnight made that impossible. Managed to dig the car out to get grandson at 11am!

Wednesday bed 5.8 FBG 6.1 - had to clear the car again as more of the white stuff was dumped overnight.

L. Nothing
D. Hubby had an evening appointment for his covid jab at the newly opened vaccination drive through so, on return from that, we each had a large plate of his pasta fagoli (without the pasta) that he'd been making industrial quantities of in the afternoon. Yet another Lidl high protein vanilla lolly.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black coffee all morning.
Lunch was leftover lamb stew. Took all the carrots out and just ate the swede out of the veg. About 50g new Dr Almond seedy black bread ( <0.5 g cabs) with butter.
Dinner was gorgeous fresh cod fillet with lemon butter and broccoli followed by DGF blondie.
How was the black bread?

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and 1/2 a packet of coconut bites.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, three small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like these for a bacon butties.
https://seriouslylowcarb.com/ the rolls are a good size, quite expensive though and others here have had delivery issues - not with the company itself, seems to be an issue with some of the Royal Mail sorting offices. I’ve always received them very quickly.
Celery is good with cheese if you want a crunch. DietDoctor.com have a few recipes for crackers if you fancy trying your hand - their recipes are never complicated.
Your shopping list looks great, check the carb content of the sausages though, some are packed with cereal fillers.
You've reminded me. Thanks, I'm on my last SLC loaf so just got an order submitted. Unlike @Mrs T 123 we have no delivery issue with SLC thankfully.

Reactions: DJC3 and Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've reminded me. Thanks, I'm on my last SLC loaf so just got an order submitted. Unlike @Mrs T 123 we have no delivery issue with SLC thankfully.
Yeah just my luck eh, changed from Royal Mail to DPD and now they are a nightmare - got another e-mail from them today saying my "parcel has been delayed due to an unexpected issue" - I ordered Tuesday night for next day delivery which was supposed to be Thursday - what can I say there is certainly variety in the excuses which would be funny if I wasn't so annoyed with them and meantime the bread will be almost a week old by the time/if I receive it - I wonder what the use by date is on it ... not that it will probably be much good to me and well the plans I had for it has gone oot the window ...

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 7.7 FBG 6.8.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing.
D. Icelands wild shrimp with tomato and chilli with my usual additions tomato, mushroom, cauliflower rice and Thai red curry. You've guessed it, a Lidl active vanilla lolly. Will need to go get more.

Friday bed 6.7 FBG 6.6. Grandson was very down this morning but he did talk to me about his feelings and, as suspected, he's still sad about his guinea. I bought him a new "Guinea" home which cheered him up and I've let him pick some toys on line. We are going on Sunday to get the new additions but he still doesn't know. He has been really good this week. I even got him through a few pages of long multiplication today!

L. Nothing
D. Morrisons sea base with lemon oil fried in butter with wilted spinach and asparagus. A Lidl active vanilla lolly. Yes, I'm getting boring but I can help myself.

I took a load of the pasta fagoli up to brother's. Niece is really doing well with him. He did have a laugh though when I told him about grandson's comprehension work on Perseus & Medusa - 3 sentences about Medusa. The expected snakes for hair and she can turn you to stone. Number 3? She sleeps on a bed of bones and snores even louder than my Dad. How did he decide that? If you look like Medusa you HAVE to be louder than my Dad!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah just my luck eh, changed from Royal Mail to DPD and now they are a nightmare - got another e-mail from them today saying my "parcel has been delayed due to an unexpected issue" - I ordered Tuesday night for next day delivery which was supposed to be Thursday - what can I say there is certainly variety in the excuses which would be funny if I wasn't so annoyed with them and meantime the bread will be almost a week old by the time/if I receive it - I wonder what the use by date is on it ... not that it will probably be much good to me and well the plans I had for it has gone oot the window ...
I still don't get it when we are just opposite site of Edinburgh. We had a DPD delivery one day late this week but that was down to the snow. Thankfully nothing perishable.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still don't get it when we are just opposite site of Edinburgh. We had a DPD delivery one day late this week but that was down to the snow. Thankfully nothing perishable.
To add insult to injury - there was a DPD van/driver in the street today delivering but not for me!

Reactions: maglil55

Onlinecaroline

Unintentional OMAD+ today as was we hired a carpet cleaner and got stuck in with that.

Snack while cooking dinner - 65g Matthesons smoked sausage.

Dinner - Chicken wings with franks buffalo sauce and blue cheese Mayo and 2 h/m smashed patty burgers with chorizo butter, cheese and a sprinkling of onion and gherkins.

2 pieces of Lindt Mint with a cuppa. It’s higher than the Green and Blacks but luckily it’s almost gone. In the mood for all the sweet treats tonight so might make some peanut butter cookies which would still keep me under 20g.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How was the black bread?

It’s pretty good - the seeds are an excellent addition. I keep meaning to get some smoked salmon and cream cheese to make an open sandwich, but I’ve nearly finished the loaf now!
IMG_1613249584.425350.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thursday bed 7.7 FBG 6.8.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing.
D. Icelands wild shrimp with tomato and chilli with my usual additions tomato, mushroom, cauliflower rice and Thai red curry. You've guessed it, a Lidl active vanilla lolly. Will need to go get more.

Friday bed 6.7 FBG 6.6. Grandson was very down this morning but he did talk to me about his feelings and, as suspected, he's still sad about his guinea. I bought him a new "Guinea" home which cheered him up and I've let him pick some toys on line. We are going on Sunday to get the new additions but he still doesn't know. He has been really good this week. I even got him through a few pages of long multiplication today!

L. Nothing
D. Morrisons sea base with lemon oil fried in butter with wilted spinach and asparagus. A Lidl active vanilla lolly. Yes, I'm getting boring but I can help myself.

I took a load of the pasta fagoli up to brother's. Niece is really doing well with him. He did have a laugh though when I told him about grandson's comprehension work on Perseus & Medusa - 3 sentences about Medusa. The expected snakes for hair and she can turn you to stone. Number 3? She sleeps on a bed of bones and snores even louder than my Dad. How did he decide that? If you look like Medusa you HAVE to be louder than my Dad!

I don’t think I dare go near Lidl now - I don’t think I’ve heard you be so enthusiastic about any sweet treats before, they sound seriously addictive!
I’m really glad to hear about the Medusa story making your brother laugh, what a tonic for everyone that must have been.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well nothing today as yet bar coffee although on my walk I nearly picked up a scotch egg but decided not to before I check with you good people on how bad the coating is on things like scotch eggs and KFC? Have added Halloumi fries to my shopping list along with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil to try that wonderful suggestion above. Re Celeriac I searched click and collect and all there was was this large looking turnip type thing. Would someone if they have time at some stage possibly be able to message me on how you make mash, chips, roasts with what looks like a space hopper?! Rather daunting!! Going to have a kebab ordered tonight, shish, chicken with a touch of doner but will avoid the garlic mayo!

You sound like someone who isn’t keen on cooking, you might like this if you like fried chicken:
https://lodough.co/products/lo-dough-southern-style-coating
You can just buy a pack of chicken portions/legs/thighs and coat with this crumb mix then put in the oven. It’s pretty good. I’ve used it on fish too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t think I dare go near Lidl now - I don’t think I’ve heard you be so enthusiastic about any sweet treats before, they sound seriously addictive!
I’m really glad to hear about the Medusa story making your brother laugh, what a tonic for everyone that must have been.
These Active Ice Lollies from Lidl are REALLY, good. I'm less keen on the chocolate ones. They're nice but the vanilla ones are great. It's the same with my new Iceland find - these broccoli & cauliflower creamy things. Love them. At the moment I'm looking for fast tasty things obviously with everything going on.
It was quite a breakthrough with grandson last week as he really seems to be getting over his anxiety so that was one less worry. Also he's eating again. His other funny was I worked with him on a Minecraft newspaper article after studying the Great Fire of London and he was "reporting" how Thomas Farriner the baker and his family escaped but the maid did not. He decided to give the maid a name but his reporting was "The maid, Martha, was burnt to a crisp because she was a wuss." That caused some hilarity too!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: 2 pieces of lc soda bread, one with pate, one with Wensleydale. 3 slices pickles and a spoon of coleslaw. Too much ff greek. When I checked the label it was proper Greek, not greek style and the ingredients are 75% yoghurt and 25% cream - no wonder I've been enjoying it so.

D:: was planning lc pizza but still quite full from lunch and a mid afternoon baking session so just some cheese crisps, 3 olives, 1 brownie and cream

Max68

Firstly thank you all for your suggestions. So many to try and that will keep me going.
@maglil55 thank you for the advice re mayo. Had that on a mixed kebab with salad last night rather than my usual garlic sauce, which I suspect isn't that great! Had half the pitta and threw the rest away so baby steps on that one! @DJC3 - I don't mind cooking but as a bloke who lives on his own I'm not that confident. In my homemade recipe book which my dear mum advise on years ago I have mince and tatties, which will be renamed mince and mushrooms, chicken jambalaya which will have to take a back seat because of the rice and pork en croute, my favourite which I might save for birthday and Christmas! That chicken coating link is brilliant thank you as I haven't seen any anywhere for ages.

Note to self today don't do my usual walking route on a Sunday as far too many people doing the same route! The good news is I weighed myself and am down from 12 and a half stone to 12 and a quarter stone in just over a week so getting back to the walking must be helping. Breakfast - Just a coffee with sweetener and a tad of semi skimmed. Lunch was three hard boiled eggs with same coffee. Dinner will be Taste the Difference Rump Pave Steak With Butter, and will have two Portobello mushrooms with that along with salad. Will try pouring some heated up cambazola on the mushrooms.

Update - The steak will have to wait after looking at a few of the use by dates! The downside of using click and collect! So drumsticks are in the oven for a chicken drumstick, drury lane ham and brie rocket, watercress and spinach salad and a can of coke zero with the salad dressing suggested to me minus the lemon juice which slipped out of my hand whilst unpacking and has given the kitchen tiles a wonderful aroma of lemon! :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly thank you all for your suggestions. So many to try and that will keep me going.
@maglil55 thank you for the advice re mayo. Had that on a mixed kebab with salad last night rather than my usual garlic sauce, which I suspect isn't that great! Had half the pitta and threw the rest away so baby steps on that one! @DJC3 - I don't mind cooking but as a bloke who lives on his own I'm not that confident. In my homemade recipe book which my dear mum advise on years ago I have mince and tatties, which will be renamed mince and mushrooms, chicken jambalaya which will have to take a back seat because of the rice and pork en croute, my favourite which I might save for birthday and Christmas! That chicken coating link is brilliant thank you as I haven't seen any anywhere for ages.

Note to self today don't do my usual walking route on a Sunday as far too many people doing the same route! The good news is I weighed myself and am down from 12 and a half stone to 12 and a quarter stone in just over a week so getting back to the walking must be helping. Breakfast - Just a coffee with sweetener and a tad of semi skimmed. Lunch was three hard boiled eggs with same coffee. Dinner will be Taste the Difference Rump Pave Steak With Butter, and will have two Portobello mushrooms with that along with salad. Will try pouring some heated up cambazola on the mushrooms.

Update - The steak will have to wait after looking at a few of the use by dates! The downside of using click and collect! So drumsticks are in the oven for a chicken drumstick, drury lane ham and brie salad with the salad dressing suggested to me minus the lemon juice which slipped out of my hand whilst unpacking and has given the kitchen tiles a wonderful aroma of lemon! :banghead:
I know you said something about not getting along with cauliflower rice but have you tried it as fried rice? I keep the individual bags of cauliflower rice in the freezer if I can't be bothered making/bagging it (it's another of my Iceland favourites). It's simple to make. Chop up some spring onion and soften in a mix of butter/olive oil in a wok. Add frozen peas and cauliflower rice. Mix and I usual put a lid on for a few minutes. Failing that keep stirring! When the "rice" has just the right amount of "bite" still in it add Tamari Soy (you get it in supermarkets and it's gluten free), mix then stir through a beaten egg.
You may have seen me mention Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower "thingy"? That's a straight to oven job. 25 mins and it comes out a bit like a veggie souffle. Links below.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-4-cauliflower-rice-steam-bags-600g/80220.html

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland...15.html#q=broccoli&originalQuery=Broc&start=1

Reactions: DJC3 and Max68

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you said something about not getting along with cauliflower rice but have you tried it as fried rice? I keep the individual bags of cauliflower rice in the freezer if I can't be bothered making/bagging it (it's another of my Iceland favourites). It's simple to make. Chop up some spring onion and soften in a mix of butter/olive oil in a wok. Add frozen peas and cauliflower rice. Mix and I usual put a lid on for a few minutes. Failing that keep stirring! When the "rice" has just the right amount of "bite" still in it add Tamari Soy (you get it in supermarkets and it's gluten free), mix then stir through a beaten egg.
You may have seen me mention Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower "thingy"? That's a straight to oven job. 25 mins and it comes out a bit like a veggie souffle. Links below.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-4-cauliflower-rice-steam-bags-600g/80220.html

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland...15.html#q=broccoli&originalQuery=Broc&start=1
Tamari Soy

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-....ds&preservedReferrer=https://www.google.com/