What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hug for UTI @luceeloo and high fbg @JohnEGreen. Sub-optimal 5.1 on Swipey (not the level per se, just a 5.1 on Swipey is worrying). Is 160 gms protein too much, certainly <22 gms carbs. I'm more confused about how to manage T2 via diet after 6 years than I was at the start. All I know is high fat ain't for me. @DJC3 good fbg - I have Manbag but PJs?:arghh:

IMHO and according to how my metabolism works ,160 grams of protein is TOO MUCH .

Reactions: ert

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

4.9 for me today.

@luceeloo -- Welcome back and hugs for the UTI.
@ianpspurs -- My impression that reaction to protein and how much is too much is highly individual. For me, it seems to be somewhere over 100g per day.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning after day 1 of a VLCD mind you it may only last 1 day! Doc has suggested I try the Newcastle diet again to see if a different way of eating reduces my cholesterol. I am not holding out much hope, I think the opposite will happen, but I will reluctantly give it a go. Cholesterol is very dynamic so changes in my diet are likely to be reflected in a few days, I will test and see. To be honest, I am just using the diet as an excuse to defer the dreaded lipidology appointment, which was due sometime this month and which I have, on my GPs recommendations put back to June.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 at 6AM and 6.7 just now at 9AM with an overnight average of 5.7. Nothing unusual or alarming after the eating day and it should come down during the course of fasting today.

IMHO and according to how my metabolism works ,160 grams of protein is TOO MUCH .

My protein intake yesterday was somewhere between 70gms to 80gms. I have to keep it high on the days I do eat to strike the balance and I think that is the reason for slightly elevated reading on the following day but I agree 160gms is a lot.

Have a great day everyone.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

4.9 for me today.

@luceeloo -- Welcome back and hugs for the UTI.
@ianpspurs -- My impression that reaction to protein and how much is too much is highly individual. For me, it seems to be somewhere over 100g per day.
Re protein: I'm guessing size impacts this. I'm about 183 cms and weigh 74-75 kgs - maybe 1-2 kgs too much. I'd rather fail to manage T2 eating lean protein than fat personally. We all make judgement calls on diet.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

Tannith

BANNED
FBG 4.87 average this week. Slightly less good than last week. Weight down 2.7 lbs though. Probably water loss of some sort. I normally take 10 days to lose 1lb. Still think OGT is a better guide to B cell function than FBG, but I'm running out of pure glucose powder. AlsoI prefer not to do it too much as it contains no nutrients but just 300 empty calories. On a 1000 cal per day diet I try to eat only nutrient dense food.

Reactions: karen8967

Tannith

BANNED
Re protein: I'm guessing size impacts this. I'm about 183 cms and weigh 74-75 kgs - maybe 1-2 kgs too much. I'd rather fail to manage T2 eating lean protein than fat personally. We all make judgement calls on diet.
https://www.calculator.net/protein-calculator.html this is supposed to tell you how much protein you need. I'm not sure if only lean mass affects protein needs, rather than fat mass. I shall have to google that sometime.

Reactions: ert