What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 at 5am. By 6am it was 6.2.s
We are off to Blickling Hall to see the bluebells. Am so looking forward to it as we missed them last year because of lockdown. It looks like we are lucky with the weather as no rain forecast this morning.

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.8

I said a short while ago that the darn blackbirds have been taking my thatch off my thatched swing. The current female blackbird has made 4 nests from it this year. When I checked it is unrepairable.
The thatch I need to repair it would come from Germany. And costs too much.

So easier and cheaper solution is needed...

Various options...all too expensive.

Then thought of army camouflage netting. I have given up on a thatch repairer as such. So a tarpaulin, out of the garage, looks awful, but is now waterproof again.

Got a green army camouflage. But I knew I wouldn't like the colour. However, it was one piece with strengthened edges and ties etc. And I ordered a woodland camouflage as well, but they only came in smaller pieces.

The green camouflage I attached a few days ago. I knew I wouldn't like the green (but I could have got used to it). I tried the small piece of woodland coloured camouflage.

That was a definite yes for looks.

So ordered two more woodland ones, and they are easy to attach to the the green one.but it has been raining since.

However, the birds do not like the camouflage on the swing. They are all of them totally incapable of landing on it. The heffalump wood pigeon has made many abortive attempts to land, but fell on the ground. Then he/she ruffled their feathers and tried again and again...next time he fell in my bushes, and I ended up going out because he had difficulty extracting himself...but he got out himself in the end. Female blackbird is very very cross with me. She has done many flypasts to try and figure out how to land. And left many white 'messages' on the green army camouflage. Finally she came up to my window and gave me the death stare...

Here is my digital painting of the situation...

View attachment 49439
Fabulous illustration of the new slippery slope. Lots of snazzy waterproof material on sites like Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/waterproof_fabric

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with that and accords with our shared preference for example of lamb shoulder v leg (and ribeye steak?). Do you prefer pork shoulder to leg/loin as well? Where's today's walk on @Krystyna23040 explores East Anglia? Don't forget the sausage roll for my hero;)
Definitely won't forget the sausage roll for Mr K. We are off to Blickling Hall shortly to see the bluebells and of course get the sausage roll at the Muddy Boots cafe. I have made up an interesting concoction of whey and chia seed protein and vanilla and inulin.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a damp and dreary looking start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of spiced chicken with some green stuff and some of those zero noodles clocked in at 5.2 this am.

“More paint” was the cry so I expect a trip to the paint emporium this morning to gaze in wonder at the colour wall. Handles - no not handles for forks or even four candles - door handles - one fitted and six awaiting to door fitting bloke (whenever that is - must ask the project manager).
Not much art today - four little doodles, each just over an inch high - playing with ideas for some landscapes. Have a smashing day, time for some koffy.

upload_2021-5-16_8-33-46.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely won't forget the sausage roll for Mr K. We are off to Blickling Hall shortly to see the bluebells and of course get the sausage roll at the Muddy Boots cafe. I have made up an interesting concoction of whey and chia seed protein and vanilla and inulin.
Concoction sounds good. Do you have that dry or as a shake?

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Went for a walk from home earlier this am despite the duchess saying its going to rain.
I felt more like a walk so I didn't want to miss the occasion.
Unfortunately when I got half a mile from home the heavens opened, as it does in Cumbria and I got soaked to the skin. It was a torrent coming down the sides of the road on the hill past my house when I got back.
You would have thought I would know better at my age!!

Anyone seeing me would have said, "Look at that silly old man!"
D.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Went for a walk from home earlier this am despite the duchess saying its going to rain.
Unfortunately when I got half a mile from home the heavens opened, as it does in Cumbria and I got soaked to the skin. It was a torrent coming down the sides of the road on the hill past my house when I got back.

D.

Think you spelled "sod" wrong .;)

Just saying :D

As for being out after being advised not too
(Appeal of the motorcycle the first few weeks was TOO strong to ignore.. AND before I got kitted out with "Proper" kit ..:rolleyes:)

So been there, done that, mate :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

D.
It's comin' down yal watter oot theeyer.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with that and accords with our shared preference for example of lamb shoulder v leg (and ribeye steak?). Do you prefer pork shoulder to leg/loin as well? Where's today's walk on @Krystyna23040 explores East Anglia? Don't forget the sausage roll for my hero;)
Definitely prefer pork shoulder to leg or loin. I especially don't like loin pork chops and have had to persuade Mr K not to buy them anymore.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely prefer pork shoulder to leg or loin. I especially don't like loin pork chops and have had to persuade Mr K not to buy them anymore.

I take it dry and add water once I have got coffees and Mr K 's sausage roll. I don't add a lot of water so it is thick and I eat it with a spoon.
Such discernment. No more than I expected. I hope the sausage roll met with Mr K's approval. I do so worry about the poor chap.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 today

definitely feel less limp today :D

sunday lunch at mum's with roast chicken wrapped in thick smoked bacon ;) followed by LC chocolate pudding with homemade custard. I might try making the custard with added whey protein just to see how it works out :)

We managed to get some grass cut at mum's after lunch since it hasn't rained for a couple of days so we're feeling positively angelic :D

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@gennepher - descriptive narrative art today :) sounds like a win for the waterproofing ;)
those 'white messages' are a pain though.

@Krystyna23040 - hope the bluebells were spectacular. they are lovely 'en masse' we have a few in our garden just coming out :)

@dunelm - interesting idea doing a group of small doodles and a good way of testing out ideas :)

I had no idea you could get waterproof fabric in so many designs :)

@lindisfel - my dad's friend had a saying suitable for such occasions 'Oh man, ah must've weed on a fairy!' :D

art bit -
didn't do any art yesterday, just went to bed early :sorry:

In this painting I was trying out blending some colours in the sky to see how they behaved on this paper, interestingly the blue sank into the paper more leaving my sky a bit pinkish :)

upload_2021-5-16_21-15-21.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the IPad, I discovered that if I press the .?123 key to get numbers and symbols, then press and hold zero 0, the degree key appears above it and I just slide my finger up the screen to it - why do they make these so complicated? Maybe these things were designed by Daedalus when he got bored after designing the Labyrinth.
@dunelm although that didn't work on my kindle fire your post helped me find the ½. To get the ½ I press and hold the 1 and can choose the ½, ⅓, ¼ or ⅛. Brilliant. Then I noticed a ~[< symbol in ?123 and by pressing that key I discovered the ° symbol and lots more symbols. I have only been using kindle fires for over 5 years and never discovered this. So thank you - your post was really helpful.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm although that didn't work on my kindle fire your post helped me find the ½. To get the ½ I press and hold the 1 and can choose the ½, ⅓, ¼ or ⅛. Brilliant. Then I noticed a ~[< symbol in ?123 and by pressing that key I discovered the ° symbol and lots more symbols. I have only been using kindle fires for over 5 years and never discovered this. So thank you - your post was really helpful.

And now you got me looking at my mobile.

android if that makes a difference.

while i knew some letter keys added alternatives
NEVER realised holding down the numbers offered the fractions..

in fact i then found the top row of letters actually swaps to the corresponding number.

i rarely have the numbers displayed, as an option in setting,
so switch between letter numbers which can be irritating.

in fact i have now discovered..(only been using android sine it began..:rolleyes:)
that IF you press the Comma icon ( , ) next to ?1234, you get to setting and from there can press advanced.

this option allows for preferences.
low down on page is 'Long press for symbols hint'

and all the alternative choices appear by the letter screen most people start with.

AND if you do as you & @dunelm suggest (=\< )you can get the copyright, registered trademark & a TICK.
ones i have often wanted to use in quirky posts but struggled finding.:banghead:

And in amongst that lot, a little button pressing got me to discover the • icon, IF long pressed offers up the card suits.♣♠♥♦

( How strange.
On Mobile it's in the appropriate colours.)

Still, maybe useful for the missing heart in the emoji choice.❤

also offers a music note ♪ )

a link for more info
https://www.howtogeek.com/210824/ho...racters-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-tablet/

DCUK, where every days a school day..:D

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 today

definitely feel less limp today :D

sunday lunch at mum's with roast chicken wrapped in thick smoked bacon ;) followed by LC chocolate pudding with homemade custard. I might try making the custard with added whey protein just to see how it works out :)

We managed to get some grass cut at mum's after lunch since it hasn't rained for a couple of days so we're feeling positively angelic :D

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@gennepher - descriptive narrative art today :) sounds like a win for the waterproofing ;)
those 'white messages' are a pain though.

@Krystyna23040 - hope the bluebells were spectacular. they are lovely 'en masse' we have a few in our garden just coming out :)

@dunelm - interesting idea doing a group of small doodles and a good way of testing out ideas :)

I had no idea you could get waterproof fabric in so many designs :)

@lindisfel - my dad's friend had a saying suitable for such occasions 'Oh man, ah must've weed on a fairy!' :D

art bit -
didn't do any art yesterday, just went to bed early :sorry:

In this painting I was trying out blending some colours in the sky to see how they behaved on this paper, interestingly the blue sank into the paper more leaving my sky a bit pinkish :)

View attachment 49448
Thank you @geefull - interesting bit of blending and with the blue sinking into the paper more - worth some experimenting and in this painting the pink in the sky makes for a painting with interest.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no, now I have just spent some time looking at every key on the IPad - some interesting symbols appear - every day a learning experience.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And now you got me looking at my mobile.

android if that makes a difference.

while i knew some letter keys added alternatives
NEVER realised holding down the numbers offered the fractions..

in fact i then found the top row of letters actually swaps to the corresponding number.

i rarely have the numbers displayed, as an option in setting,
so switch between letter numbers which can be irritating.

in fact i have now discovered..(only been using android sine it began..:rolleyes:)
that IF you press the Comma icon ( , ) next to ?1234, you get to setting and from there can press advanced.

this option allows for preferences.
low down on page is 'Long press for symbols hint'

and all the alternative choices appear by the letter screen most people start with.

AND if you do as you & @dunelm suggest (=\< )you can get the copyright, registered trademark & a TICK.
ones i have often wanted to use in quirky posts but struggled finding.:banghead:

And in amongst that lot, a little button pressing got me to discover the • icon, IF long pressed offers up the card suits.♣♠♥♦

( How strange.
On Mobile it's in the appropriate colours.)

Still, maybe useful for the missing heart in the emoji choice.❤

also offers a music note ♪ )

a link for more info
https://www.howtogeek.com/210824/ho...racters-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-tablet/

DCUK, where every days a school day..:D
Oh blast - now I have to go through the keyboard on my Samsung phone - and I can’t even see the keys or work them with my sausage fingers

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from yet another day of indecisions in the weather department
The wonder wheel of roasted cod with a sauce vierge and green beans and asparagus rocked home at 4.4 this am.

I wonder if the supermarkets will have fewer shoppers today - maybe round lunch time when everyone is trying to record selfies in pubs to post on their dead interesting farcebok walls - “I was there when the pubs opened - look at me” - in a so called Indian or Kent or South African accent.

Stage one (paint) of the Spruce Goose is now complete and the project manager informs me that stage two (carpets) is scheduled for Thursday and I am being put in charge of letting the carpet fitters in and operating the kettle - what fun. Stage three (doors) will be some time after stage two. I think she has been watching that telly programme Grand Designs. I bet she goes over budget by buying fancy door handles or crystal chandaliers.

Painting today is on a pale yellow slip of rice paper, about 3 x 2 inches. Have a marvellous Monday - I shall be experienting with the keys on my phone and slurping koffy.

upload_2021-5-17_6-57-7.jpeg