What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.2 for me
FB_IMG_1640344583983.jpg

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. Honestly, I think I could just save myself the cost of the test every morning, the number so closely maps how well/badly I slept (middling last night, middling for me number. Good night's sleep and I'm at 4.something, bad night and I'm 5.lots)

@Alexandra100 - I only let myself buy jars of almond butter very infrequently, it is just too tempting to have 'just a bit more'. Nuts, in all their guises, are a really good way for me to sabotage myself!

Reactions: karen8967

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings, peace, love and joy to you all.
I erred and strayed into mince pie and rum territory last night. Did you know I was one of Santa’s little helpers? Next time I will have the rum, Santa can have the mince pie. Though I am keeping the rum. A whopping 9.0 early this morning. I did pledge to keep testing, and reporting, so rest of the day will check a bit more, and eat sensible foods. Started day with scrambled egg, and bacon.
Oh and, in case any of you wondered, I didn’t enjoy the mince pie, far too sweet.

Christmas blessings to you all, and those you hold dear.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings, peace, love and joy to you all.
I erred and strayed into mince pie and rum territory last night. Did you know I was one of Santa’s little helpers? Next time I will have the rum, Santa can have the mince pie. Though I am keeping the rum. A whopping 9.0 early this morning. I did pledge to keep testing, and reporting, so rest of the day will check a bit more, and eat sensible foods. Started day with scrambled egg, and bacon.
Oh and, in case any of you wondered, I didn’t enjoy the mince pie, far too sweet.

Christmas blessings to you all, and those you hold dear.
When your rum expires have a chug on some of this. The taste will sleigh y'all. What kind of person ever arrives at a point where mince pies/normal chocolate etc taste too sweet (like expecting a dog to be a hippo) whilst eating abominations like almond butter? Get a *bleep*grip people. .:D

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When your rum expires have a chug on some of this. The taste will sleigh y'all. What kind of person ever arrives at a point where mince pies/normal chocolate etc taste too sweet whilst eating abominations like almond butter? Get a *bleep*grip people. In other news, a dog isn't like a hippo.:D

In the Pipp household rum never runs out. There is a steady supply of this
https://pussersrum.com/
It is in the genes.:D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Peanuts have too many carbs for my diet. I really missed peanut butter until I recently discovered almond butter, which is much lower in carbs and IMO is even more delicious. I bought the Meridian brand which contains 100% nuts, unlike some that have added palm oil etc. I then discovered that Aldi do their own version also 100% almonds but about half the (steep) price. My only problem with almond butter is, how to stop at just one tea-spoonful.
I have bought some coffee walnut butter recently lowish in carb and tastes quite nice on low carb toast with a cup of espresso,

Must add that my 4.3 this morning came as a bit of a shock after consuming a mince pie a slice of pizza with a small portion of cheesie chips some brandy a glass or two of Jack daniels fire and a bottle of porter my daughter bought for me.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bought some coffee walnut butter recently
This is very interesting to me, as I still have some unopened packets of walnuts I couldn't bear to throw away. If I could reduce them to "butter", perhaps with pestle and mortar. I would have something significantly lower carb than almond butter and perhaps miraculously as delicious. I hadn't thought of adding coffee. Caveat - I usually find flavouring essences over-priced and disgusting. But I do have wistful memories of coffee and walnut iced cake.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my 4.3 this morning came as a bit of a shock after consuming a mince pie a slice of pizza with a small portion of cheesie chips some brandy a glass or two of Jack daniels fire and a bottle of porter
This reminds me of a post I read with great interest on this site years ago. The writer, on holiday somewhere hot, had been tempted by the fruit. Getting no spikes, he ate more, and more - still with no bad results. BUT on return to the UK, suddenly his tolerance for fruit had gone. (What a disappointment, as an abstinent fruitoholic I grieved for him!) My interpretation for what it is worth, is that a long period of low carb had built up some strength in his beta cells, so that they were able to tolerate all that fruit, but not forever. In the end his credit was all used up and it was back to low carb again.

Marianne67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In the Pipp household rum never runs out. There is a steady supply of this
https://pussersrum.com/
It is in the genes.:D

Oh I like rum, was introduced to Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva by The Thinking Drinkers who my daughter works with, I need to treat myself to a small bottle! (Or get the boys to donate one )

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
8.7 - We ALL know why. Actually, I’m quite content with the outcome of yesterday’s indulgences. Roasties AND chocolates were involved, but not at the exact same time ;).

Knowing that there’s some leftover Beef rib, and horseradish, I’m setup for BxDay.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning - went to bed on 5.2 last night.

I ate more or less 'normally' yesterday and didn't test during the day, so I've no idea what my levels were doing after various Christmas foods, but I'm quite happy with how I ended the day and started today. I do weigh about a kilo more than I did yesterday, but I expect that to vanish when I've used up the glycogen stores that my liver has decided to stock up on.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas day
Larry 6.2
Contour 4.8
Had a large Christmas lunch with a roast potato, parsnip & bread sauce, really have no idea how it’s 4.8, but very pleased with it