What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That belly pork looks wonderful. It's ages since we've had belly...........
I asked Neil to look for belly pork when he went shopping but the only joints of pork he could see were loin. He bought some, but it won't be the same. Should try to do something with that tomorrow.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Never go to Christmas Island then when the red crabs are migrating, they will turn up every in your home including the toilet.

https://www.christmas.net.au/experiences/red-crab-migration/

Perish the thought! Closest I came to such an idea was on my honeymoon in Guernsey in 1964. We drove to the beach one evening but stepped out of the car onto a carpet of woodlice! I got back into the car pretty rapidly, shuddering. I really don't like insects or other alien creatures with more than 4 legs. "Don't like" = phobic! That includes cooking and eating them.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I thought I'd prepare for going out by eating a little cheese and 3 seedy crackers so I wouldn't pick at the buffet...
2 chicken wings in some sticky spicy sauce, half a scotch egg, a glass of wine and 1 soda water later , I came home with the munchies and scoffed some ice cream.:bigtears::banghead::facepalm:

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, small portion of baked beans for breakfast.
Cold chicken legs, lemon cordial / osmolax mix for smoko.
Lamb forequarter chops, green veggies, mushroom gravy for lunch.
Cheese on low carb toast, small portion of lemon sorbet for supper at six.

KI blue cheese and crackers watching the final couple of episodes of Mentalist on Prime Video.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the only food I can think of where your plate is fuller after eating than before!
@Antje77, some shellfish might almost qualify, especially lobster and mussels cooked in their shells. Also snails. (Not that any of these are on my menu.)

RosemaryJackson

Hello everybody. Like Coby, I was a bit hesitant of joining in. You all seem to be a group of friends who know each other well and I didn't want to intrude. My name is Rosemary, I am 83 and was diagnosed in 2009. I didn't believe I was diabetic and ignored it. I didn't realise that an A1c of 88 was bad. Now I have seen the light! I have been reading your comments for quite a while and got a good few ideas on what was best for me. So thank you all for that. So today I have had 2 Bratwurst sausages and a fried egg. Lunch will be the remains of the chicken and veg soup I made yesterday and tea will be 2 Ryvitas with soft cheese and slices of strawberries on top.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never go to Christmas Island then when the red crabs are migrating, they will turn up every in your home including the toilet.

https://www.christmas.net.au/experiences/red-crab-migration/
Better than a Huntsman lurking under the toilet seat! We went to a fabulous seafood place in WoyWoy. All very fresh fish & shellfish. Very rustic, all seated on benches on the deck where the pelicans massed to be fed at certain times. Their toilet was also rustic! Yes, I know Huntsmen are not dangerous but boy do they give you a scare!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 Just had a look at Week 2 of the DD New me reset. I'll need one or two amendments/swaps. I loath blue cheese. I've tried it a few times but nothing can convince me to like it. I don't like the look of the fish casserole and, turkey/apple burgers? I know I'd like them but not for breakfast!

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My name is Rosemary, I am 83
@RosemaryJackson, a warm welcome! I am almost 80 so I have sisterly feelings for you! Your efforts are really impressive and I do hope you continue to get equally impressive results. Some people would say that you / we are too old to change our ways, especially dietary ones, but we know better!
Do keep posting, here or elsewhere on the Forum.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody. Like Coby, I was a bit hesitant of joining in. You all seem to be a group of friends who know each other well and I didn't want to intrude.
There's more than enough room here for everyone, please keep posting!

I bought my piece of pork belly with skin yesterday so today I'll try @Goonergal 's recipe. :)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2399#post-2478246

My piece is thinner than hers so I hope it works out well. It's currently sitting on a plate in my fridge to have the skin as dry as possible, very excited!
They sold me a 750 gram piece, which I cut in half, so the other half is in the freezer.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @RosemaryJackson

@Riva_Roxaban those red crabs are pretty cute. Love some of the pictures. I’d love to visit during that time.

Getting back on topic, I’ve been up since 5.30, it’s now 13.20 and I’ve just eaten the first item of the day - 25g of Montezuma’s Fitzroy chocolate found at Kew Gardens,

Luckily there’s far more appropriate beef short ribs waiting at home in the Instant Pot.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody. Like Coby, I was a bit hesitant of joining in. You all seem to be a group of friends who know each other well and I didn't want to intrude. My name is Rosemary, I am 83 and was diagnosed in 2009. I didn't believe I was diabetic and ignored it. I didn't realise that an A1c of 88 was bad. Now I have seen the light! I have been reading your comments for quite a while and got a good few ideas on what was best for me. So thank you all for that. So today I have had 2 Bratwurst sausages and a fried egg. Lunch will be the remains of the chicken and veg soup I made yesterday and tea will be 2 Ryvitas with soft cheese and slices of strawberries on top.

Hello Rosemary. On the whole we only know each other through this forum but everyone is, as you can see, very friendly. Don't hesitate. Join in.

Compared to you and Alexandra100 I'm just a spring chicken (76) but I have been diagnosed as T2 for about 13 years by which time I was pretty far gone with various diabetic type problems (probably of 50+ years standing). Low carbing doesn't, for me, sort out my weight issues, or indeed my blood glucose issues but, along with pretty high doses of insulin, it does keep my BG within reasonable limits most of the time. Not just now, I have to say but there are other issues involved which keep BG pretty high at present. I am trying, at the moment, to keep both carbs and calories low by only having one meal a day (OMAD). This has only happened because recently I haven't had much of an appetite, although I have tried to do it in the past, without a great deal of success (too hungry). Since I am not really hungry these days, it seems like a good opportunity to try again.

This evening, I will have slow roast pork - not the cut I wanted which would have been belly pork but the only one my son could get when he did my shopping. Could possibly (sensibly) have some cabbage with it but would probably prefer it on its own. Other than that, it will be lots of cups of tea.

Do keep posting here - I'm sure we would all be happy to get to know you and to have you join our happy band of friends.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7D5EA421-70BA-4164-AA96-C7E0D0F2805C.jpeg
8F6D55C4-336B-43BA-A78F-9BDE521C9ECF.jpeg

@RosemaryJackson welcome to the thread look forward to hearing about your menus.
My food today :
Lunchtime three eggs scrambled in butter followed by yoghurt with a few raspberries
Mid pm some m and s seeded crackers with some of my hm pate
Dinner my usual Saturday night treat of chicken curry - though instead of using my usual frozen bag of cauliflower rice I used up some fresh cauliflower- chopping into small pieces, adding small amount of oil and cooking on an oven tray for 20mins. Enjoyed it more than prepared frozen cauliflower rice and not that difficult. Also had gin with soda water followed by lc blondie and cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my OMAD at 6 pm. The cabbage that I thought I had in the fridge turned out to be cauliflower so I cooked some of that together with some tomatoes. The pork was luscious - had no skin on it but a little fat. It weighed 800g raw and I had about 1/3 of it. Couldn't have eaten any more than that - I'd had the fatty bit and was feeling pretty sick. Better after a cup of tea though. 2/3 of the joint left over for cold meat and quite a lot of cauliflower to use up. Might just make some mustard pickle with that tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF chocolate brownie.
Dinner: similar to last night I enjoyed it so much! low Carb roll filled with Brie and a tiny amount of cranberry with a leafy salad, spring onions, baby toms and coleslaw followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

FBDB70C8-36C0-4490-BD75-3DD661E38473.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - 2 slices slc toasted and buttered and filled with corned beef & a little tomato. Mug of earl grey. 2 squares 90% Lindtt

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette with side salad
I've run out of SLC bread but my freezer is rather full at the moment with the DD New me reset. I buy all the food in an end up with loads in the freezer plus extra portions!