What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An oddly busy day yesterday.

12.30pm a portion of cheesy mince (think cottage pie with cheese instead of potato on top) 175g mince and about 50g cheese. Approx.
6pm a few salami crisps with a dab of egg mayo
8pm pork ribs. YUM!

Today we are thinking of eating out, with family. Should be interesting.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

12.30pm a portion of cheesy mince (think cottage pie with cheese instead of potato on top) 175g mince and about 50g cheese.
Sounds good. I think I might try it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Didn’t get to post yesterday. Out in the sun all day yesterday.

Woke up a bit hungry so had a rare breakfast of the corned beef eggy thing before setting out on what turned out to be a marathon walk and a totally amazing day. Started by walking to the Blackheath entrance to Greenwich Park. This involves a very long and steep hill: this time last year I had to stop to catch my breath several times. Yesterday straight up breathing normally.

Wandered down into Greenwich and then meandered along the river to Tower Bridge where I was meeting some others for a photo safari. The Thames walk was much longer than anticipated - clocked up over 36,000 steps - and I discovered some amazing places, some not that far from my place. Great photo ops and a wonderful way to spend the day.

“Dinner” was actually Linner. Had planned Nando’s but branch I identified was closed so ended up in Cote Brassiere. Went for half a chargrilled chicken with garlic butter and a green salad in place of the frites. Was presented with the dessert menu and after a long internal debate experimented with the dark chocolate mousse. Bit too sweet but only a 1.1 mmol rise so not too bad.

Small bag of almonds (25g) in pub later.
Your day out sounds amazing @Goonergal and great that you can see your fitness transformation I saw your body transformation photos this morning they came up on my phone when I was scrolling - all I can say is wow you look amazing - hard to believe it’s same person side by side like that I must do one. Well done you you really are a superstar

Reactions: DJC3

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

12.30pm a portion of cheesy mince (think cottage pie with cheese instead of potato on top) 175g mince and about 50g cheese. Approx.
6pm a few salami crisps with a dab of egg mayo
8pm pork ribs. YUM!

Today we are thinking of eating out, with family. Should be interesting.

Would love the cheesy mice recipe...sounds Delish!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. Facebook kindly reminded my wife it is 2 years today that we eventually discovered a cake I felt tasted like cake. I have posted the recipe but thought I would share images

Attachments

• chockycake1_0109.JPG
    chockycake1_0109.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 222

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
F710D694-4569-43D5-806F-C12B2FAEB040.jpeg https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
Latest adaptation to lemon drizzle see original recipe above.
This time I made in 2 smaller tins - cooked for 45 mins - mixed a few spoons of inulin into lemon juice poured some on top back in for 5mins then took out of oven and added another generous amount added back in at 130 fan for 15 mins. Makes it stickier and browner on top.
Kept the successful earlier adaptations:
@maglil55 s egg separation method whisking egg whites and folding in at end makes it very light.
Adding a few drops of stevia to sweeten it up a bit more and balance the lemon a bit

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26444 https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
This time I made in 2 smaller tins - cooked for 45 mins - mixed a few spoons of inulin into lemon juice poured some on top back in for 5mins then took out of oven and added another generous amount added back in at 130 fan for 15 mins. Makes it stickier and browner on top.
Kept the successful earlier adaptations:
@maglil55 s egg separation method whisking egg whites and folding in at end makes it very light.
Adding a few drops of stevia to sweeten it up a bit more and balance the lemon a bit

Looks like its got a proper lemon drizzle crispy topping too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m still clearing/ cleaning and decluttering and have realised that with my new way of eating, there are 2 things on my kitchen counter, taking up space, which I’ll never use again.....my spaghetti jar and my banana tree thing ( for hanging a bunch of bananas).

My eldest daughter has bagsied them so happiness all round.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26444 https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
@shelley262 that looks really good. I am getting the impression that there may be some hope for LC sweet food after all. Before this thread I had found most recipes turned out pants and felt the whole baked sweet area was probably a no go. New hope has been given. :woot:
Edit: As I type my baker is making the keto rolls and lemon drizzle cake so we shall see and taste the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 . @ziggy_w and @Goonergal (who alerted me to the bakers) and anyone I missed. My baker has produced the rolls. With butter they work for me, getting the hint of my former favourites rye and dark sourdough. Great progress so thanks. Has anyone tried to make a loaf with this mix or bigger rolls as these seem a bit dinky for me? Lemon drizzle cake nearing completion and looks like a cake so I am hopeful there. Did a pretest for rolls so I will see what the rise is.
Once again. thanks folks bread type food may be on again :woot:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 . @ziggy_w and @Goonergal (who alerted me to the bakers) and anyone I missed. My baker has produced the rolls. With butter they work for me, getting the hint of my former favourites rye and dark sourdough. Great progress so thanks. Has anyone tried to make a loaf with this mix or bigger rolls as these seem a bit dinky for me? Lemon drizzle cake nearing completion and looks like a cake so I am hopeful there. Did a pretest for rolls so I will see what the rise is.
Once again. thanks folks bread type food may be on again :woot:
Noticed on @ziggy_w s thread that she has experimented with other low carb flours and wonder how much these change texture and make a loaf possible? I fancy trying with some lupin flour thought I’d buy some to add to mix after get back from hols....

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noticed on @ziggy_w s thread that she has experimented with other low carb flours and wonder how much these change texture and make a loaf possible? I fancy trying with some lupin flour thought I’d buy some to add to mix after get back from hols....

I’ve seen mention of lupin flour, is it actually made from lupins or am I being a complete idiot?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good ideas shelley we have an all purpose mix with vital wheat gluten taken from here https://donnareish.com/low-carb-flour-mix/ we made a loaf from this alone which was ok. Thinking of trying this mix, psyllium husk and yeast so will let you know how that goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: shelley262

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. Facebook kindly reminded my wife it is 2 years today that we eventually discovered a cake I felt tasted like cake. I have posted the recipe but thought I would share images
Chocolate cake looks amazing! Where have you posted the recipe?:hungry:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chocolate cake looks amazing! Where have you posted the recipe?:hungry:
Earlier in this thread but here is the link https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/c...sour-cream-frosting-low-carb-and-gluten-free/ Our tweaks are due to my hatred of icing and frosting (surely the work of the devil?.) We make ganache with 100% chocolate, double cream and sweetner and use that for the layering. You could use it for the topping but methinks that would be exceptionally rich. We have also made a coffee and walnut version and a version with Lidl's sour cherries in Kirsch. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good ideas shelley we have an all purpose mix with vital wheat gluten taken from here https://donnareish.com/low-carb-flour-mix/ we made a loaf from this alone which was ok. Thinking of trying this mix, psyllium husk and yeast so will let you know how that goes.
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant recently and all food is served with injera which is a bit like a pancake and used to scoop up the food instead of cutlery. I looked up what it is made from and it is teff flour. Has anyone come across this before and used it in anything else?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 Lemon drizzle made using tweaks, definitely sticky on top so I like that. Image here
Screenshot 2018-05-07 at 17.00.04.png

Just testing 1 hr after rolls then trying this! At 1 hr went from 4.6 down to 4.1 with 1 roll so a miracle food :woot:
Cake looks like a cake and tastes "lemony" so a successful afternoon :woot: Thank you so much ladies this may appear at evenings, with LC vanilla custard or lots of cream as a dessert, on the very odd occasions I want a dessert.
Update: RIP Lemon drizzle cake. My wife forgot to hide it so her red setter pulled it down, ate most of it and my Lab may have cleared it up after we had a slice each - we may have consequences especially the poor old lab with those ingredients and dogs tummies:bigtears:

Last edited:
Reactions: vanillapie