What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I didn't know about it until @Chook told me some time ago and I've had the little jug of cream a few times now.

@Brunneria told me about it (thank you @Brunneria ). :happy: If you have the REALLY big cup (the one with two handles and saucer) you can choose to have two little jugs of cream with it if you want -but you have to request it as they don't offer it. I have it in place of lunch if we are out and about. Yum, yum!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 3 x cheese thins with paté, cucumber and cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: scrambled eggs with cheese on HiLo toast with Marmite followed by CCB and cream.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod that must have been quite a blow, I’m sorry he didn’t like your delectables
@ianpspurs I really appreciate your sense of humor!!! There is this thing I’d call “kitchen gadget envy”. It’s probably good that my elder son and 2 of my s-i-l’s do the bulk of the family entertaining!
OTOH I just decided last night to make my own yogurt for a while. Guess what makes yogurt in larger batches? One of the IPs!! So I guess I’m going to be a trend follower soon, quite unlike me.
Y’all be careful out there with your flame throwers!!!!

You can also make clotted cream in the IP, although I haven't as yet. (I think you guys call it scalded cream.) I have also made very good, thick yoghurt in my dehydrator's chamber.

The IPis a clever thing. You have far more models available to you in US than we have in the UK. You even have the baby 3ltrr version, which I would like to run alongside my 6ltr

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Son preferred the stacking trays as he could add more trays. He also added the fruit insert. Surprisingly quiet.

When I say mine is a chamber, I have several metal shelves, but can hang "stuff" in it too, should I wish, and I can stack kilners too, when making, say, yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Toaster - obvious reasons.

Electronic spiralizer - used a lot at first but now gathering dust.

Oh yes, spiralizer! I bought a manual one, didn’t work at all so chucked it straight out, what a complete waste!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: Happy Eggs have started doing a GF scrambled egg and bacon breakfast pot.
We got one as a trial and shared it. A bit small and a bit salty, and no one ever puts enough butter in their eggs nowadays ;) but it made Mr B’s eyes light up as a 4am breakfast option.

L: a pot of mint tea and a couple of chicken livers in half a portion of oomi noodles.

Note to self: next time you reheat chick livers in microwave, do so in a container with a lid that won’t blow off when they explode.

D: DietDoc chicken in feta cream pesto and olives.
And a couple of Hotel Choc Xmas chocs.

Too much food!!! Am stuffed. Hope I can sleep tonight... :D:hungry::wacky::D

Oh no! Exploding chicken livers, what a mess. I hate it when that happens.

I love that DD chicken, pesto, feta olives thing.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 thank you! This looks scrumptious!! When I was the Thanksgiving hostess regularly, I’d make and freeze quarts of stock from the turkey carcass. Wish I had that resource now!
Unused gadgets: microwave pressure cooker old manual pressure cooker- can’t get a gasket for it. Very vintage waffle iron, but as I suspect the flax bread batter eould make good pancakes/waffles, that may get used! Living in the South as we do, a toaster oven is a necessity. We just bought our third in 39 years; not bad for the previous cheapo models.
Potato ricer, hubby’s family heirloom. 40-odd years ago, my grandmother gave me her little Wearever egg poacher. I don’t think I kept the insert, but the little pot keeps itself busy!
Falling asleep again! Good morning everyone!

Last edited:

Ponchu

IMG_1546600442.148964.jpg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

With respect to kitchen gadgets, I am always tempted to buy more. Oh, all the wonderful things I would make with these gadgets -- but then I remember my small kitchen. I have a huge espresso machine, which takes up about half of the available counter space, but wouldn't really want to live without it. It really makes a good start to the day. (Apart from this I own a coffee bean grinder, a toaster, a mixer, a blender a very basic ice cream maker (where you have to put the bowl in the freezer) and a now very much neglected juicer.)

Yesterday's menu ...

Breakfast: Two decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs with okra and cheese. A slice of the egg liqueur cake (almost all eaten except for about two more slices.)

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and fried mushrooms. A glass of red wine.

Late nigh snack: Some manchego cheese and half a Wiener sausage.

Hope y'all have a wonderful start into the weekend.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Yesterday’s menu:
Bfast half avocado, boiled egg, 10 almonds, 3 cherry tomatoes lookin’ so juicy on that frig shelf I couldn’t resist, decaf/soy/cream
Lunch 3 tall celery, 10 more cherry tomatoes, whole tin sardines (a mistake), and maybe a piece of my bread with butter - can’t remember. Was over-stuffed all afternoon
Supper piece of my bread broken up in soy milk, shades of childhood delights!
Bedtime snack couple tbsp skyr with cream.
IMG_7237.jpg

I am finding this batch of bread quite addicting! 3.2 carbs/ one-sixteenth piece from 8x8 cake pan.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Ham, olives, last of cheese stuffed peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber. Last crumbly bits of brownie ( bit hard) with raspberries and strawberries and my new find Jude's flat white coffee ice cream. 13.4g carbs per 100g (I had 50g and it was delicious)
Dinner: Beef stroganoff , carrots, green beans and sprouts (weird combination I know, but I love the little green bullets)! 50ml glass of ruby port!! First time tried this as it's supposed to be sweeter than red wine which I'm not keen on. 6 carbs!
Snacks: Montezumas Orange and Geranium chocolate, nuts.
Just deciding which bread mix to get from Dr Almond, any recommendations? Not bothered about replicating a white loaf, prefer the darker, seedier ones!

Amazingly no cold as yet (fingers crossed) which I'm putting down to the enormous amount of salad and veg I am now eating. Used to get about three or four this time of year!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 2 x 1.5 pints mug of tea; Dockey: Morrisons coffee; Lunch: Dog walk then 2 x 1.5 pints tea by then it was 15.30 hrs Afternoon: Nothing
Evening meal 17.15: Cottage pie (celeriac, swede , butter and cheese topping); 20% mince; IP beef stock; ‘nduja; braised red cabbage (used up some of the opened wine I won’t drink), cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg; Have to honest, that was an LC meal I really enjoyed much more than traditional version
I am never going to like winter anymore than I will ever like The Beatles or Elvis. The difference is I can’t ignore winter for the rest of my life.
@Tori71 I really like the Black Bread mix (and port) and I seem to recall @DJC3 did as well but she may prove me wrong.
Edit/Update: Will have almond milk and cream cocoa later while watching football near the woodburner. Gym is just too cold tonight.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Carnivory continues but run of OMAD ended as had to pop out for a snack at work.

Afternoon snack was a peperami stick.

Dinner was what a Masterchef contestant might term a ‘deconstructed’ Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich (i.e nothing like the original and a mess on the plate). Two fried eggs made all the better by cooking in left over fat from last week’s beef short rib, 4 rashers of streaky bacon, 15g cheddar and 3 Tesco Finest chipolatas. Washed down with a spoon of extra thick double cream to up fat content.

Plenty of tea with cream during the day too.

@Ponchu that piece of meat looks good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i had my appointment with the DN today. Yet another new one - I've never seen the same one twice. Got the results of my Hba1c - 31 - and all the other results were equally confusingly good. While its lovely to have some one give praise, i would have been far more enthusiastic if I thought I deserved it. Oh well.....

Anyway, today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs, black coffee

Lunch: Black coffee

Dinner: Half of an M&S rack of lamb with a garlic and rosemary crust (reduced from £10 to £3!!!!!) with asparagus and broccoli drizzled with melted butter.

Pudding: One square of 85% and four strawberries with extra thick cream

Glass of celebratory red wine

BTW, those that are addicted to almond butter..... my local Aldi have got it on offer for £1.99.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had my appointment with the DN today. Yet another new one - I've never seen the same one twice. Got the results of my Hba1c - 31 - and all the other results were equally confusingly good. While its lovely to have some one give praise, i would have been far more enthusiastic if I thought I deserved it. Oh well.....

Anyway, today...

Dinner: Half of an M&S rack of lamb with a garlic and rosemary crust (reduced from £10 to £3!!!!!) with asparagus and broccoli drizzled with melted butter.

BTW, those that are addicted to almond butter..... my local Aldi have got it on offer for £1.99.

Great results @Chook

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Anyway, today...

Great results @Chook and you obviously so do deserve it

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been on the 24hr blood pressure monitor yesterday and today, made cooking an interesting adventure as I couldn't bend my arm very well. All good though as I have perfect results.

Yesterday: Breakfast - nothing
Lunch: chicken fajita without the tortilla, cheese and sour cream
Dinner: A delicious ribeye with mushrooms and beansprouts

Today: Breakfast - nothing
Lunch - Asda rotisserie chicken legs x4 (they were small but I wasn't too hungry)
Dinner: Homemade chicken stir fry with a green pepper, beansprouts and mushrooms. I also just discovered the wonders of Chinese 5 Spice - delicious.

Can anyone help explain why Sainsburys' beansprouts say 0.7g carbs per 100g, and Asda's say 4.0g? Both say that it is 100g stirfried. Maybe Asda assume we will use a sauce? Strangely Asda tinned beansprouts are 1.6g drained per 100g.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great results @Chook and you obviously so do deserve it

i really seriously don't deserve it. I think i read somewhere on this forum that you @ianpspurs are one of the people who gets a higher Hba1c than your BG finger prick tests suggest you should get - and mine seems to be the other way around. I fell off the keto wagon about a year ago and only started checking my BGs in November and they were seriously rubbish then. They are slowly improving now but not low enough yet for this result.