What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Cold belly pork slices with a spicy dip.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water.

Had a big Netflix binge of watching the first season of Monty Python's Flying Circus with the grandsons, they thoroughly enjoyed the non politically correct show. :D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
17-11-19
Breakfast CWC, double portion of nut granola.
Tea
Lunch toasted pain kapnor, avocado and tomato, slice of cheese cup of tea.
Outside working all afternoon.
Came in and had tea and walnuts.
Neither of us wanted to cook. Both worked hard today . The chicken was still half frozen, so we has bacon, egg and mushrooms with a couple of frozen rösti potatoes and some leftover cauliflower cheese from yesterday. Little bit too much wine.
Chunk of cheese.tea
Bedtime tea

Edited but to bit.

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 17/11/19
Breakfast: usual low carb porridge and 100g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 200g lettuce, 100g ham, 29g tasty cheese, hot sauce, mustard
Dinner: 157g cooked pork loin steaks, 1 large egg, 270g cauliflower, 170g green beans

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Broccoli in a cheese sauce for lunch (after 4 cups of tea between 7am and lunch at 12.30, by which time my BG had risen from 5.0 FBG to 10.5!) I was intending to make meatballs for lunch with beef mince taken out of the freezer last night but it was below freezing in the kitchen last night and the mince didn't thaw (temperature here this morning was -5C). So I just made a cream/cheese sauce to go on the broccoli I was intending to have with the meatballs. Broccoli was a bit watery - I'd steamed it until just softening, but it was still soggy by the time I got the cheese sauce on it. It filled a gap, which was all I expected anyway.

Even if the beef thaws in time, I shan't bother with meatballs later on today - just scrambled eggs will do again. I quite enjoy scrambled eggs - especially with the last of the coconut sauce served with it, as yesterday. But I don't have any of that left today so I'll just have to have it plain (and very creamy).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, am asking you all to put your Thinking Caps on for me, my friends.

Picture the scene:
Late night in the B pack den. Mr and Mrs B and 3 dogs all sharing one enormous SuperKing.
Mr B has gone to bed at 9pm, because he has to get up at 4am for his early shift. Waking him is a BAD IDEA.
Mrs B and the mutts have gone to bed at 10.30pm.
All is settled.
Mrs B is about to stop reading her kindle book.
When suddenly, there is an unexpected hunger attack, caused by absentmindedly eating her evening meal at 6pm instead of 7pm.

Disaster!

Options are various, but do NOT include trying to go to sleep on an empty stomach, since historically that leads to stressful angst and lying awake with growing irritation, with a knock on effect of a sleep deprived next day.

Last night this scenario led to me nipping downstairs and snaffling the goatsmilk yog that I had not eaten the evening before.
But that slammed all chance of sleep for at least an hour, especially due to the cold kitchen floor tiles on my bare feet and the bright fridge light.
Then when I got back upstairs I woke the dogs all woke each other up thinking they were entitled to a midnight snack too, and trampled all over the bed and Mr B :nailbiting:trying to find out where I had hidden the yog...

So, my question is: Can any of you think of something that I can keep unrefridgerated, on the bedside table, that won't rustle when I open it, that won't interest dogs, and which won't mean I have to trek downstairs to fetch it? Something filling. Odourless. Silent. With a long shelf life.

The only thing I can think of is cardboard! lol

The obvious solution is not to go to bed hungry, but sometimes, maybe once a month, life just conspires against me. Especially on weekends, when my routine is skewed.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Picture the scene:
Late night in the B pack den. Mr and Mrs B and 3 dogs all sharing one enormous SuperKing.
Mr B has gone to bed at 9pm, because he has to get up at 4am for his early shift. Waking him is a BAD IDEA.
All is settled.
When suddenly, there is an unexpected hunger attack, caused by absentmindedly eating her evening meal at 6pm instead of 7pm.

Disaster!

Options are various, but do NOT include trying to go to sleep on an empty stomach, since historically that leads to stressful angst and lying awake with growing irritation, with a knock on effect of a sleep deprived next day.

Last night this scenario led to me nipping downstairs and snaffling the goatsmilk yog that I had not eaten the evening before.
But that slammed all chance of sleep for at least an hour, especially due to the cold kitchen floor tiles on my bare feet and the bright fridge light.
Then when I got back upstairs I woke the dogs all woke each other up thinking they were entitled to a midnight snack too, and trampled all over the bed and Mr B :nailbiting:trying to find out where I had hidden the yog...

So, my question is: Can any of you think of something that I can keep unrefridgerated, on the bedside table, that won't rustle when I open it, that won't interest dogs, and which won't mean I have to trek downstairs to fetch it? Something filling. Odourless. Silent. With a long shelf life.

The obvious solution is not to go to bed hungry, but sometimes, maybe once a month, life just conspires against me. Especially on weekends, when my routine is skewed.

Made me laugh but I understand your plight. How about chocolate? You could unwrap and break it up and keep in a Tupperware box. Nuts could also be kept that way, but I’m not sure you eat them?

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I found myself in the same situation last night after eating early to suit Mr PM and before bed found myself in the kitchen spooning peanut butter from the jar...just one more so I get to sleep. FBG this morning wasnt pretty. I dont think that would work in any case cos some dogs love peanut butter. A limited number of individual squares dark chocolate a good idea @DJC3.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think cardboard covers it! Can you not buy a mini fridge for the bedroom? That would increase the options. Is there any food that doesn’t interest dogs?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far today
Breakfast: slice of LivLife toast, butter, tea x2. Though I wasnt happy with my FBG I have to have something small or my BG continues to rise till lunch just like @Annb found. Lunch was a bowl of broccoli leek and parsley soup.
I am now getting hungry so supper around 7pm (usually 8pm but Mr apM not here) will be a thick lamb chump chop and Greek Salad. I might decide to make a GS omelette instead with feta, sliced olives and tomato, depends on how cold or hungry I am!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Picture the scene:
All is settled.

Disaster!

Can't think of anything, other than 100%chocolate, which I'm sure the dogs would scoff, given the chance. Not, I'm sure, that you would give them the chance. A Tupperware box with a tight lid would keep the scent of chocolate inside so as not to tempt the dogs.

Given the same situation, I end up with a mint of some sort. Sugar in them, of course, but can't buy sugar free chocolate here and online it is too expensive. I do have some cocoa nibs but I really don't like chewing them. I must admit, although I could do it, it just feels wrong to be getting up and eating in the middle of the night.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today’s food as follows:
B: 2 boiled eggs with Marmite Halloumi soldiers ( great idea @Rachox )
L: Egg mayo in lettuce leaf wraps then a small slice choc olive oil cake with extra thick cream.
D: IP ‘roast’ chicken with a stir fry of shredded sprouts and chorizo topped with grated Parmesan. 1 glass dry white wine. I need to go and clean my teeth quickly or that will turn into 2 or 3 glasses, it’s very easy to drink.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out in brum today shopping with what felt like the rest of the UK - it was crazy busy. Think everyone thought, like me, that a Monday in mid November would be quiet but the German Christmas market has opened, we have a major train strike in our area from this last Saturday on every Saturday right through to end of December which means difficult to go on a Saturday and there was a 20% offer off in m and s so I ended up in a queue for 20mins - don’t think I’m going in to brum again before Christmas!
Kept going with coffee and cream.
One meal at 5ish - sprouts with bacon and beef brisket followed by lc lemon cake warmed with yoghurt.
Will have some 100% choc with decaf coffee later.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday: B= Tea with almond milk, reading, 1 hr weights with personal trainer; lemon tea, scrambled egg, mushrooms, feta and 2 slices tomato, bowl of salad - leaves, cherry toms, pickled cucumber, chia seeds, olive oil; L= americano and lemon tea in Pathos old town; hot choc mid afternoon watching sun set over the sea (no low carb choc but almond milk); Eve: Leaf salad with octopus, haloumi and okra salads plus lamb kleftico and chicken souvla followed by a little cheese, some walnut and hazelnuts - approx 1 oz between the 2, literally 2 sips of red wine. Once again the chef talked me through the meats - also talked a few other guest with different needs through the menu.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday: B= Tea with almond milk, reading, 1 hr weights with personal trainer; lemon tea, scrambled egg, mushrooms, feta and 2 slices tomato, bowl of salad - leaves, cherry toms, pickled cucumber, chia seeds, olive oil; L= americano and lemon tea in Pathos old town; hot choc mid afternoon watching sun set over the sea (no low carb choc but almond milk); Eve: Leaf salad with octopus, haloumi and okra salads plus lamb kleftico and chicken souvla followed by a little cheese, some walnut and hazelnuts - approx 1 oz between the 2, literally 2 sips of red wine. Once again the chef talked me through the meats - also talked a few other guest with different needs through the menu.

What a marvellous holiday and a fantastic place. I’ve never been to a hotel that had chia seeds. That chef sounds wonderful.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold garlic and herb chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino and a salted caramel phd bar
Dinner: gammon steak and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 18/11/19
Breakfast: usual low carb porridge, 114g greek yoghurt
Snack: 25g pork crackle
Lunch: 200g iceberg lettuce, two small can of tuna
Dinner: 214g chicken breast, 270g cauliflower, 170g green beans

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Fresh caught mud crab sandwiches.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, lotsa water.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

b: bone broth and a small LC hot choc
L: oxtail
D: scram egg and 3 sausages

thank you for the suggestions @DJC3 and @Annb and @PenguinMum :D i think that chocolate in a box on the bedside table is simultaneously the best and the worst idea ever!
I would LOVE it, but eating enough choc to stave off the yawning chasm of nighttime hunger would do terrible things to my blood glucose :D and I would eat it all the first night, no hunger required. :hilarious: This obviously means that you are far better people with much higher chocolate resisting capacity than lil’ ol’ moi. :D:D:D I take my hat off to all three of you!

the peanut butter would work. And i love it. But Pup1 is a peanut butter obsessive. The other two not interested at all. Keeping a jar and a spoon in the bedroom would actually be incredibly easy though, wouldn’t it?

I've spent a while mulling it during this evening, and am considering getting a whey based protein shake. One of the low carb ones, sealed in a plastic bottle. I'm actually slightly whey intolerant, but the resulting reaction is yawning and sleepiness, which would actually be a plus, at bedtime. Not happy about the sweeteners, but in a crisis... i am stumped for any other ideas, and would be grateful for more suggestions.

baby bel would be ideal in some ways, but sitting unrefridgerated for up to a month... not so good.
I do like the mini fridge idea... wonder how noisy they are?

no chance of night hunger tonight. Am stuffed with buttery scram eggs. Delicious.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still on catchup! @shelley262- glad to see you survived the floods and I hope the weather is kinder on your next trip to York. Sad that it's for a funeral though. You're correct though, we seem to spend a lot of time at funerals. @ianpspurs - you're probably on holiday now and I hope it does you and Julie the world of good after the loss of your pooch and I hope that is it for your chemo. Come back reinvigorated.
@DJC3 - sorry you had disappointing news. I hope you are OK now? You did make me smile though at the thought of Dennis and was it Brenda the mongrel? @ziggy_w - the TV is safely on the wall and I rather like the pivotal bracket. Much easier than watching sideways! Glad you got the Dr Almond pasta. It is sometimes a pest to get it just right. I tend to add just under the amount of water then gradually add a little more if it is needed but very slowly.
So, Saturday 9 November - bed 5.3 FBG 5.6.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing out for shopping
D. Cold cuts again. One slice each of roast pork, ox tongue and haslett. 1/2 slice Belgian beer ham. Lettuce, tomato, cheese coleslaw, 1/2 avocado and a boiled egg.

Sunday 10 November - bed 5.9 FBG 5.6. Usual Sunday with boys swimming. I had to remove No 2 who had a full scale meltdown because we wouldn't let him drown himself! He was hell bent on going underwater when it wasn't his turn so he was told he would have to sit on the edge if he wouldn't stop. He didn't, he wouldn't so meltdown.
B. TAG with ADOC and a slice of LC toast with dairylea and a half slice of ham.
L. Nothing- dealing with swimming and tantrums
D. Knocked together chicken thighs & drumsticks with a creamy mustard and mushroom sauce, mini cob, spinach and a well deserved campari and soda. Raspberries and a scoop of Grahams goodness.