What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal the velvetiser really was good but fbg this morning wasn’t very good after the hot chocolate!
Black coffee as usual this morning.
Lunch:
Dinner: the last of the Turkey with all the leftover stuff in the fridge. Hurrah. Couple of glasses of a wonderful Fleurie. Perhaps one or 2 of these chocolate nut squares later.
IMG_1609183263.628749.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to avoid gout flare up as I have a bit of a cold caught from grandchildren and that plus turkey and gammon can trigger one. I’m hoping to need as little Naproxen as possible so I’m avoiding alcohol. At times staying on the straight and narrow feels like what I imagine a Dementors kiss to be like but I’m hoping it is best overall for my body. Somehow I have avoided these problems for 5 LC Christmas times. Way more childcare/contact this year so more exposure to bugs? Tea: CWCSFCS: Guacamole and poached egg on toasted SLC roll +Salmon mousse, avocado and king prawn bowl; tea: Evening meal: Experimenting with hot, sf blackcurrant squash. Tasted wonderful but maybe too strong carbwise (.1 rise at 1 hr.)

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over lamb, silver skin onions, coleslaw and a packet of Cheesies followed by chocolate mint DGF with cream.
Mid afternoon: black coffee with coconut bites.
Dinner: left over pigs in blankets, coleslaw, cherry tomatoes and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC granola.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a bad night with some stomach pains so skipped breakfast and lunch. Scales showed a 3 lb gain over 3 days eek! Hubbys reaction was "no way, thats not possible" How I wish it was that simple.

5g carbs dark choc at 3:30

Dinner was roast gammon with celeriac dauphunoise and plain sprouts. One glass red wine followed by one glass Armagnac .
10 pm Stomach feeling much better so just ate 1 dark Lindor, but no within 30 minutes pains back. Think my body is really reacting badly to sugar. Or its not used to snacking between meals. Either way its not good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used almond butter as it’s lower carb than peanut butter and didn’t add the spice either. Very easy and very moreish!
I'm not much of a fan of peanuts in my chocolate so I might have a go at trying to find another nut butter :)
Once I've found something to substitute the peanut butter I can add any type of nuts I like. Or I might just go with the peanut butter and see how it turns out, as I have all the ingredients except for vanilla extract, but I don't particularly like vanilla so I wasn't going to use that anyway.
For spices I'll start with chilli (of course) and have a think on what else to add. I might for once do what the recipe says and go with kardamom :D

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not much of a fan of peanuts in my chocolate so I might have a go at trying to find another nut butter :)
Once I've found something to substitute the peanut butter I can add any type of nuts I like. Or I might just go with the peanut butter and see how it turns out, as I have all the ingredients except for vanilla extract, but I don't particularly like vanilla so I wasn't going to use that anyway.
For spices I'll start with chilli (of course) and have a think on what else to add. I might for once do what the recipe says and go with kardamom :D

Sounds good with chilli. Hadn’t thought of that.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good with chilli. Hadn’t thought of that.
I'll start with trying to convert all those ridiculous measures like oz's and 1/4 cups to something usable :banghead:
Seriously, what's wrong with using grammes? Why do I even have kitchen scales? Cups really are ridiculous, why do I have to try to fit a square piece of hard butter in a round cup and gauge when it's a quarter full?

And don't get me started on things like "1/4 cup of grated cheese". Do I press it in the cup? Leave it as fluffy as it comes out of the grater? I mean, pressing it even just a little will make the same cup of cheese twice as heavy, and there is a big difference between using the small grater and the big grater too.

However, I'm pretty sure the chocolate will turn out delicious, even if I get the ratio's wrong! :hungry:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Congratulations to daughter and partner @DJC3. The velvetiser sounds fab.

@Bex72 great to see you back. I’m assuming that turkey crown has some diamonds in it to have even been priced at £74? Sounds like you got a bargain though.

Starting the day with a mug of Teaolat and double cream. Perfect.

Goonergal, appparently that is how much m&s charge for a turkey crown, astonishing isn't it and not a diamond in sight. We froze half ready for the NYE buffet. As we still have extended family living with us (the house move, which should have been early December, had a problem), we have a ready made NYE party. There are 8 of us. We should (fingers crossed) be 4 again at some point in January).

B: yoghurt, berries, seeds
L: turkey, salad and a homemade sausage roll
D: pepper stuffed with spicy cauliflower 'rice' (too spicy for my neice)
Snacks: square or 3 of dark chocolate, salted pecans, beef jerky.
Drinks: rooibos tea, skinny decaf flat white, rum and coke zero x 2, masala chai with sweetener.

Mice have invaded our house, we're using humane traps. Today we caught a big one and drove it to the next town en route to buy some essentials. We released the little fella close to where we saw a barn owl last week and we'll take any others to the same spot.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I am trying to avoid gout flare up as I have a bit of a cold caught from grandchildren and that plus turkey and gammon can trigger one. I’m hoping to need as little Naproxen as possible so I’m avoiding alcohol. At times staying on the straight and narrow feels like what I imagine a Dementors kiss to be like but I’m hoping it is best overall for my body. Somehow I have avoided these problems for 5 LC Christmas times. Way more childcare/contact this year so more exposure to bugs? Tea: CWCSFCS: Guacamole and poached egg on toasted SLC roll +Salmon mousse, avocado and king prawn bowl; tea: Evening meal: Experimenting with hot, sf blackcurrant squash. Tasted wonderful but maybe too strong carbwise (.1 rise at 1 hr.)

Ianpspurs, I hope you manage to hold off the gout flare up. A sober NYE may be challenging this year but hey, there will be no parties. I hope the Naproxen is gastro resist, I developed a stomach ulcer earlier in the year from taking max level high dose Naproxen (to treat complex migraine). I was tee total for several years but started drinking again during lockdown. Since my diabetes diagnosis I don't drink very much at all. Hot sf blackcurrant squash sounds lke a good mulled wine swap.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ianpspurs, I hope you manage to hold off the gout flare up. A sober NYE may be challenging this year but hey, there will be no parties. I hope the Naproxen is gastro resist, I developed a stomach ulcer earlier in the year from taking max level high dose Naproxen (to treat complex migraine). I was tee total for several years but started drinking again during lockdown. Since my diabetes diagnosis I don't drink very much at all. Hot sf blackcurrant squash sounds lke a good mulled wine swap.
@Bex72 thanks for the kind thoughts. Gout flare up seems to have been avoided for now with minimal Naproxen. I don’t take many so hopefully no ulcer but boy do they effectively halt transit . Hot blackcurrant was a winter go to pre-LC (mulled wine on my avoid list) so I will experiment with brands and strength to get the taste/spike ratio right. Enjoy NYE sober or otherwise - I've never been too bothered by that event. Wonderful to read about the couch to 5k from where COVID left you earlier.

Reactions: ziggy_w and mojo37

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll start with trying to convert all those ridiculous measures like oz's and 1/4 cups to something usable :banghead:
Seriously, what's wrong with using grammes? Why do I even have kitchen scales? Cups really are ridiculous, why do I have to try to fit a square piece of hard butter in a round cup and gauge when it's a quarter full?

And don't get me started on things like "1/4 cup of grated cheese". Do I press it in the cup? Leave it as fluffy as it comes out of the grater? I mean, pressing it even just a little will make the same cup of cheese twice as heavy, and there is a big difference between using the small grater and the big grater too.

However, I'm pretty sure the chocolate will turn out delicious, even if I get the ratio's wrong! :hungry:

Completely agree, why measure solid ingredients in cups? Makes no sense, I’ve spent ages battling with grated cheese in cups too.
I don’t think this recipe cares very much about any of it though. It’ll turn out fine whatever you feel like chucking in, I rarely weigh or measure anything accurately any more unless it’s a very carby ingredient I want to be sure about.

Reactions: maglil55

SilverK

I ate some chocolate on Christmas Day. A Yorkie bar. My favourite. Four days later I’m still trying to bring my sugars back to where they were. I usually eat low carb but my DN said that, with insulin, I should be able to eat “normally”. That doesn’t work. Besides the yorkie bar, anything with wheat sends my blood sugar twice as high as something with the same carb content but no wheat.
Why is this so confusing?!?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SilverK hugs. I think half the battle is figuring out what works for us, snd it seems to be a bit different for all of us.
Today was a clearing out the fridge and finishing leftovers day.
No breakfast except black coffee
Lunch: spinach and ham frittata and 2 of the chocolate nut squares.
Dinner: Not a DD recipe but it could easily be- leftover meat ( mostly ham ) with broccoli and red pepper in a creamy cheesy sauce with Tex Mex seasoning. Baked and topped with grated cheese.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Leftovers day here, too. Lunch was lamb shoulder and some of the carnivore stuffing warmed up and eaten with what was left of the juices/gravy from Christmas Day.
Dinner was leftover chicken wings from the last Nando’s order. Reheated in the air fryer to crisp them up.

Still plenty of leftover meat in the fridge, but not sure how appealing it’ll be beyond today.

Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I looked at the recipe but couldn't a carb total per square:)

It’ll depend on exactly which chocolate and nuts/nut butter you use and how many pieces you cut the finished product into. It’s sometime since I calculated, but using Lindt 90% which is 14.8g/carb 100g, and almonds/almond butter/Brazil nuts and cutting the resulting product into 24 pieces, it came in under 1g a square.