What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a gorillas in the mist beginning here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of roasted breast of lamb coaxed onto a plate with mint sauce and scant veg came in at 5.0 this am

Not a lot in the calendar for today - that’s very unusual. Vaccines booked at one of those vaccine-warehouse places. I have also been called to help out with a mass vaccination at our GP surgery on Saturday so if I get called to have my jab there, then I will cancel the one at vaccine-warehouse.

@Muddy Cyclist - great bit of book binding and interesting that the binder, like a stonemason, has left a mark.
@gennepher - teasing out the teasels in the moonlight - very effective.

A fish for today - yes, I know it’s not Friday and all. Enjoy your day everyone, it’s a late koffy for me.

View attachment 47758
And a very content and thoughtful little fish indeed.

Reactions: jjraak

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Remission is fine Ian, but claiming being cured is decidedly risky.
D.
It's my understanding that the best any of us with T2D can hope for is remission, and it takes continual work to keep it that way.

Diabetes is a very individual, chronic illness which affects each one of us either very differently or with subtle nuances Vs each other.

My DSN said she's the safety net and will provide as much support as she can. But the condition requires day to day monitoring and tweaking - as such we're the metabolistic alchemist in charge of our own individual fates...and that's quite the responsibility.

I'd like to be drug free in 4-5 months, but I'll do what it takes to get the BG down where it should be...

This thread on this forum - fab
A cool bunch of cats for sure

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be very obvious to you all that I'm not happy with LC just now. Maybe I need to establish some realistic expectations. I know the official >42 A1c guidelines (feels too high for me) but what is the consensus on here? Also, I've never considered saying I'm in remission - where do folks feel that starts?
On my last HbA1c test back in Feb 2020 I was 42 and very disappointed with the result with all the effort I had put in. I also don't say I am in remission just Pre Diabetic. My Health Centre Centre though are happy with these numbers and my weight loss and life style so now refuse HbA1c and regular checks on feet, eyes and such as they say I am managing diabetes well, see my signature for history of my journey. I don't agree with my Health Centres decision.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies to my question @dunelm @alf_Josiah @RFSMarch AKA Rozzington Bear @lindisfel and @BRSBRI. - so far. I haven't had a test or review since December 2019 so I'm not clear where I am officially as of now. Six years worth of tests qualify me as non D/in R. I see that as LC just doing what it says on the tin. I'm grateful for being one of the fortunate ones who arrived there within 3 months, almost 6 years ago. Despite that, I have never been convinced I know the baseline "rules" concerning these labels. DNs always seemed way too vague and gushing about things. I'm concerned about the long term impact on my overall health of this focus on BG levels.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
This afternoon, after my first drive in the new Stinger (it's so much faster than the old girl that went to a new home yesterday), I had a bowl of chicken and vegetable soup, Serrano ham and a wee bit of brie and raspberries. Two hours later I was down at 5.3mmol - although I think my heart rate is still through the roof as I'm not used to rear wheel drive yet! This is not a winter friendly motor..

Tonight it's roast chicken, Mediterranean vegetables with a starter of peppered mackerel and salad. Arthur gets chicken too, don't be concerned

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The day got gobbled up. :)

So today's art is a quick watercolour sketch on the manicured landscape ideas, forest is being harvested and thinned on the West of Cannock Chase opening up views to the Clee hills in Shropshire. Sunset seen a few evenings ago.

A4 40 mins......
IMG_4548.JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On my last HbA1c test back in Feb 2020 I was 42 and very disappointed with the result with all the effort I had put in. I also don't say I am in remission just Pre Diabetic. My Health Centre Centre though are happy with these numbers and my weight loss and life style so now refuse HbA1c and regular checks on feet, eyes and such as they say I am managing diabetes well, see my signature for history of my journey. I don't agree with my Health Centres decision.
Interesting and deeply worrying that your Health Centre refuse those checks. FWIW I had a retinal scan just before lockdown 1. I've never seen a GP or DN here - now over a year. No invitation to have tests but they will happily provide me with any amount of metformin. I only need to ask according to a phone call to tell me the shielding letter I had last year was totally ridiculous. The reasons given for ripping up the letter were my weight and 2 clear bladder scans - A1c irrelevant according to Dr. If I ever have a review it should be fascinating.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
The day got gobbled up. :)

So today's art is a quick watercolour sketch on the manicured landscape ideas, forest is being harvested and thinned on the West of Cannock Chase opening up views to the Clee hills in Shropshire. Sunset seen a few evenings ago.

A4 40 mins......
View attachment 47769
You've buckets of talent Mr MC...a canvas maestro. Anything I do artistically is like a faecal Jackson Pollock for beginners

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Interesting and deeply worrying that your Health Centre refuse those checks. FWIW I had a retinal scan just before lockdown 1. I've never seen a GP or DN here - now over a year. No invitation to have tests but they will happily provide me with any amount of metformin - I only need to ask according to a phone call.
Yes, I agree there. I am on monthly calls, quarterly tests and a full battery of other tests along with podiatry and eyes.

Is it because I'm a newly diagnosed T2D? I don't know, but they're very proactive.

Out of the 8000 patients on their register, assuming the same average in the general population of those with diabetes, that's nearly 500 patients potentially in that one practice - quite the undertaking to provide such care and attention I'd say...but I'm grateful, nevertheless...

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not surprising gennepher in the current climate really...I have some days when I feel more positive then others...the working from home online shopping I rarely go out...vaccination next week if my INR levels are in good range so everything is contingent on so many uncontrollable factors...considering we're still relatively sane we're doing okay.
Probably we are doing very well @HarryBeau

But we have whatever emotions and feelings that come at certain stages of any journey/condition/life events/this Covid thing/uncertainty about government guidelines etc etc
And sometimes I get cross! I wish I still had China crockery to smash sometimes...that was very satisfying...all my plates are now plastic...

I feel like I have wasted today...went a bit off beam...tomorrow is going to be a more productive day....

I hope everything is just right for you to get your jab x

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
That's me away to scoff supper, speak to some Californians on a conference call and take Arthur on an evening (cold evening brrr) walk.

And a wee thought on my Scottishness...:)
adfa1766f0c671ca78e863ddfa3be411.jpg

lindisfel

Expert
There's some evidence that taking Metformin can improve outcomes and give a better life expectancy, from what I have read.
So being totally med free doesn't always give the best result, even if some gurus are pleased.

Strange about Metformin Ian, I had reason to believe the protocol suggests it is only to be given if the patient was 48 hba1c or >48

D.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's some evidence that taking Metformin can improve outcomes and give a better life expectancy, from what I have read.
So being totally med free doesn't always give the best result, even if some gurus are pleased.

Strange about Metformin Ian, I had reason to believe the protocol suggests it is only to be given if the patient was 48 hba1c or >48

D.
Interesting indeed about Metformin. I seem to remember reading that it may be preventative and protective of cancers - prostate? but no mention of dosage. Both previous Practice and this one were/are happy enough to prescribe at 36 HbA1c. This practice is far more careful around naproxen.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies to my question @dunelm @alf_Josiah @RFSMarch AKA Rozzington Bear @lindisfel and @BRSBRI. - so far. I haven't had a test or review since December 2019 so I'm not clear where I am officially as of now. Six years worth of tests qualify me as non D/in R. I see that as LC just doing what it says on the tin. I'm grateful for being one of the fortunate ones who arrived there within 3 months, almost 6 years ago. Despite that, I have never been convinced I know the baseline "rules" concerning these labels. DNs always seemed way too vague and gushing about things. I'm concerned about the long term impact on my overall health of this focus on BG levels.

So maybe you are asking a different question ... I came down from way on high to good management, and burned out trying to maintain that on the circuit. Maybe the ... 'tedium' of the LC wonder wheel is doing the same? Dunno... but if you class yourself in remission now, but are disgruntled with LC it sounds to me that you are maybe having a bit of burnout?

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recovered...a question many ask.

I say no.
Could you go back to eating what you did for a decade or so ... nope

But would you be DX'D as T2D, if your HBA1c was 40 or below. No.

So remission. Mmh
Probably

Like Cancer in remission, not discernible, but perhaps worth continuing what ever changes / non invasive therapies you've been doing

As for THE numbers.

Personally we are all so different, even in this small segment of the forum, that nailing down a suitable score for each of us, would be taxing.

A younger me might see a lifetime of LCHF as worthwhile.
An older me might think, meh...ain't killed me yet.

This me...?
Settles for doing as much as possible, without destroying my sanity, with a forensic examination of every item of food & morning, pre & post prandial.

Others as said take other routes, are they wrong, no.
Their just not me, at this moment in my life,
And nor am I them.

I likened the management of this disease in my head, as a Journey,
Working out the most feasible route to where I want to be.

Sometimes that roads hard, occasionally easy,
But day by day we journey onwards.

So I say try to be happy with what you do,
or find an alternative,

None of this is issue free.

Seems a sensible answer.

Last edited: