Not open for further replies.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If we are to be denied access to the larger animals as food, there are other options - guinea pigs have proven to be a good option
They're quite tasty, nice fatty meat, but a lot of work with all the small bones.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Cool. All I did was ask!!

Now I know. Thanks.

Reactions: jpscloud

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find things a little ironic these days. There are frequent and widespread attempts by humans to rebalance the natural order of things . When certain predators and prey get out of balance , species are introduced/ removed/ supported etc. Wildlife proponents decline to get involved in watching even the saddest events when one animal catches another to eat it. Do I feel bad when I see this? Sure do. Do I feel bad if I think too much about the once upon a time animal that is on my plate or in my belly. Yep sometimes and I deliberately choose not to think too hard as a result.

But do you know what? I am an animal. An omnivorous animal. I am designed to eat the meat and produce of other animals the same as all the others. I require nutrients from sources that plants alone do not provide. Does any other species feel guilt for those requirements? I doubt it very much.

If anyone wishes to eat a plant diet and supplement their nutritional needs go for it. Entirely their choice.

But why should I be forced legally to eat foods that do not meet my nutritional needs and may well make my medical status worse or even create illness.

Why should I be forced to eat non natural sources of food and supplement with chemical? Why must I share the same views?

We protect peoples rights with regards to sex, gender, sexuality, religion, disability. In regards to diet choices to avoid all meat, animal products, certain types of meat, certain ways of processing meat (some based on religion but not all). We support avoiding gluten, nuts, lactose etc for those whose bodies medically do not tolerate it. How about my right to not eat carbs because my body doesn’t tolerate them? There are huge world wide protests about messing around with GM crops but messing around with GM meat seems up for grabs.

None of these activists advocating legislation seeking worldwide veganism seems to respect the choice I make to eat the way my body is designed for in the natural order of the animal world of which I am part.

Perhaps we need a new religion to protect us whose only required adherence is to value the eating of natural unprocessed foods, including those sourced from animals, that meet nutritional requirements of a human provided it is sourced in a humane manner avoiding unnecessary suffering. Somewhat akin to that of indigenous peoples who give thanks to the animal they catch and eat and utilise wisely.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you all for the comments and private messages of support and information provided that can help. If you have any further ideas which you feel would help, please post. Specifically amongst my myriad of downloaded videos, I remember one which referenced more realistic studies that showed no ill effects when red meat was increased - do you anything similar; I know Mark Hyman makes reference to a study of healthy user biased persons who did well on either a Vegan or Vegetarian diet, and that there was no difference in all cause mortality for the equivalent meat eaters - this is the sort of stuff.

If you know UK Facebook or other social media groups that do LCHF - Carnivore this would be helpful also, anything you feel is evidentiary.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for the comments and private messages of support and information provided that can help. If you have any further ideas which you feel would help, please post. Specifically amongst my myriad of downloaded videos, I remember one which referenced more realistic studies that showed no ill effects when red meat was increased - do you anything similar; I know Mark Hyman makes reference to a study of healthy user biased persons who did well on either a Vegan or Vegetarian diet, and that there was no difference in all cause mortality for the equivalent meat eaters - this is the sort of stuff.

If you know UK Facebook or other social media groups that do LCHF - Carnivore this would be helpful also, anything you feel is evidentiary.
Wow there’s loads of low carb/keto Facebook groups. Admittedly probably fewer UK based but certainly with UK members

M

Member496333

Sorry. That rant was a bit long. :wideyed:

No it wasn’t, and every word was bang on the money. Humans are not separate from nature. Everything eats something. Even plants eat each other and dead animals. It’s the order of the natural world in which we live. Attempting to remove oneself from the circle of life is the ultimate human hubris. I respect the animals that die so that I may may live, but nature doesn’t afford me the luxury of feeling guilty. Every animal designed to eat the bodies of other animals kills without mercy. Nature doesn’t care for intellect and moral scruples.

But that’s a wider discussion. As long as no one meddles in my food choices, I couldn’t care less what other people choose to eat. The problem, in the context of this discussion, is that groups of people are meddling in my food choices.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it wasn’t, and every word was bang on the money. Humans are not separate from nature. Everything eats something. Even plants eat each other and dead animals. It’s the order of the natural world in which we live. Attempting to remove oneself from the circle of life is the ultimate human hubris. I respect the animals that die so that I may may live, but nature doesn’t afford me the luxury of feeling guilty. Every animal designed to eat the bodies of other animals kills without mercy. Nature doesn’t care for intellect and moral scruples.

But that’s a wider discussion. As long as no one meddles in my food choices, I couldn’t care less what other people choose to eat. The problem, in the context of this discussion, is that groups of people are meddling in my food choices.
even raw liver shouldn’t be meddled with:yuck:;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not at all.
Having had my knuckles rapped over thread non adherence, I suppose we ought to have a discussion section that mentions diabetes. My experience with vegan fare has not been complimentary to my T2D condition. I am certain that prolonged exposure to it is seriously detrimental to my physical and mental health. At the very least I would be forced against my will to use insulin to treat my illness. I am certain that this diet will lead to my premature demise.

Therefore I will continue to use this forum to discuss this political agenda and share and discuss such information that I have had access to. This is not in any way a diatribe against individuals here who make a choice to follow their own path in that direction, but where there is a statement that it is healthy for me, or will cure me, or will save the planet, then I will respond forcefully to the contrary. This is based on my experiences and empirical evidence in my own life. I believe that it is also a topic that will directly impinge on all our lives and treatment if it gains creedance.

Reactions: Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I wonder if a Venus Fly Trap feels guilt at any time.

Reactions: Member496333

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow there’s loads of low carb/keto Facebook groups. Admittedly probably fewer UK based but certainly with UK members

FB “KETO UK community” has almost 43k members. “Low carb in the uk” has almost 9k. Some international groups over 1m and many in the hundreds of thousands. Really not sure where you would start

Reactions: Mbaker

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with guinea pigs and other small animals:

pound for pound you get less usable protein form them, and proportionally more fur and bones etc. Using the fur for warmth and clothing is good, but you get less protein for the amount of grasses etc consumed, thus not solving the problem.

Reactions: porl69

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with guinea pigs and other small animals:

pound for pound you get less usable protein form them, and proportionally more fur and bones etc. Using the fur for warmth and clothing is good, but you get less protein for the amount of grasses etc consumed, thus not solving the problem.
Better than insects or algae I bet, but I cannot speak from experience.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose they could bring in compulsory euthanasia for all those of retirement age. That would save the treasury a lot of money it is already reluctant to spend, would solve the housing crisis, would remove the need for social care for the elderly, and best of all, the rest of the population could then eat them.

M

Member496333

I suppose they could bring in compulsory euthanasia for all those of retirement age. That would save the treasury a lot of money it is already reluctant to spend, would solve the housing crisis, would remove the need for social care for the elderly, and best of all, the rest of the population could then eat them.

Good idea. Pulp them all up and feed them to plants, though? If we eat them we will all get bowel cancer. Red meat innit.

mr_cat

there is always duckweed:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/13/duckweed-bane-pond-owners-set-become-superfood/

There is definitely a mounting social control agenda building , I would expect at some point a much more mainstream demonisation of meat eaters, we will become 'they' just like smokers.
Bravo to Mbaker for starting the thread and doing something.

. I think we may be at the tipping point where we begin wiping out civilisation as we currently known it. .
Indeed and by more than dietary choice agendas.

Reactions: ziggy_w and zand

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am hearing a great deal about personal preference for protein sources and not a lot about responsibility to the entire global community of ALL organisms.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am hearing a great deal about personal preference for protein sources and not a lot about responsibility to the entire global community of ALL organisms.
this is a diabetes forum. People on here are discussing how they are going to be affected by any changes in law. No-one has said they do not feel responsible for any other organisms.

We are also discussing how the proposed changes in dietary law will affect the environment, pollution, the rain forest etc etc. All things which show concern for, and will affect all organisms.

I see no selfishness here, or personal preference for the sake of wanting choices or whims met. This is all very deadly serious stuff going on. The fact that we are discussing it on here at all shows we care about both our health AND the planetwide affect of these decisions.

Reactions: HSSS
Status
Not open for further replies.