What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy the break from work - unlikely to be down time in your case but hopefully battery recharging - quite a maladroit phrase but hopefully you get the meaning.

Thanks. Really looking forward to the break. Totally shattered after the past few weeks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox @shelley262 I’m thinking of trying the herby crackers - there is always cheese and biscuits on offer on Christmas Day so would be nice to have some crackers rather than just eating cheese.

Don’t have psyllium husk, which I note you used in place of some of the ground almonds @shelley262 would you just go with the full amount of ground almonds or would using some ground flaxseed instead of psyllium husk work?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox @shelley262 I’m thinking of trying the herby crackers - there is always cheese and biscuits on offer on Christmas Day so would be nice to have some crackers rather than just eating cheese.

Don’t have psyllium husk, which I note you used in place of some of the ground almonds @shelley262 would you just go with the full amount of ground almonds or would using some ground flaxseed instead of psyllium husk work?
I just followed this recipe:
https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/
No psyllium required

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi I use ph because I like it - especially to roll out the crackers but you could do without it as the original recipe does - or you could add some ground flaxseed To roll out. Think someone said they added some seeds for decoration. Think they cope well with a bit of experimentation! I use PH for cakes and scones too but only small amounts as feel it gives a less dense and lighter texture than just ground almonds! Hope you like them they are a fave in our house.
@DJC3 did you stick to original recipe or adapt?

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I use ph because I like it - especially to roll out the crackers but you could do without it as the original recipe does - or you could add some ground flaxseed To roll out. Think someone said they added some seeds for decoration. Think they cope well with a bit of experimentation! I use PH for cakes and scones too but only small amounts as feel it gives a less dense and lighter texture than just ground almonds! Hope you like them they are a fave in our house.

Thanks.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind my Lidl bargain cheeseboard, yesterday, includes a small Camember, I have a feeling I'll be trying this. I love baked Camember - particularly with loads of garlic, and sometimes with chilli.

Nom, nom, nom.

https://www.feistytapas.com/2016/12...HGC4EDMiT5OLgLh7gflzdSdERxp_2KmBM-ro7aolaOyHw

I had a yearning for baked Camembert as well today, bought 2 for £5 in the Coop each in its own ceramic dish. I would never have thought of doing it in the IP though, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Brunneria

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch veggie soup
Dinner salmon, mushroom sauce and halloumi fries with glass of dry white wine coffee and advent calendar choc scheduled for later!
Got my list done eventually today - and managed to get mum out for a bit of an airing too - but another longish list for tomorrow! I’m running out of freezer space ! May be over preparing for a few days!

I’m with you there - I am definitely overpreparing and have pretty much run out of freezer space. I still feel I have so much to do, but really, can there really be that much to do? ( panics - yes!!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I followed your adaption and used ph, but not quite half and half like you did ( just because I ran out of ph). They needed quite a lot more water as you said and a longer cooking time but they are lovely and crisp. I’m thinking the next batch might be cayenne and cumin seeds.

Reactions: Pipp and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal hope you can relax for a bit now and recharge.
@maglil55 dreams are so odd - fancy you having Ant&Dec decorating! Hope you feel better soon

B: DD breakfast sandwich. Coffee&cream
L: chicken&mushroon soup made with stock from Monday’s chicken. Cheesecake brownie afterwards.

Put chicken korma in IP for dinner, thank goodness for keep warm function: daughter arrived after work as we’d arranged to go to Truro Christmas market ( I’d completely forgotten). Had fun sampling various offerings. Chocolate, and salted caramels for her and mostly gins for me. Then it started tipping it down so we dashed into Hotel Chocolat to avoid getting completely drenched. Bought a 65% Supermilk chocolate advent calendar 1/2 price! And the lovely chap in there let me sample their cocoa gin, which is delicious so I bought a bottle.
Didnt get back until nearly 10pm, very hungry but korma was waiting happily. We’d also broken into the advent calendar on the way home and had 2 each to make a start in catching up!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Haven't posted yesterday, so a bit of catching up to do.

@maglil55 -- Hugs. Hope you get over the cold soon.
@Emma_369 and @Pipp -- Wonderful that you are feeling better.
@Goonergal -- It's been a tough time for you. Good that you get to relax a bit now.
@DJC3 -- Those coconut squares look to die for. Definitely something I have to explore.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a Wiener sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese, two baked chicken thighs marinated in soy sauce, cinnamon and garlic.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: One square of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: Two large chunks of manchego cheese, one Wiener sausage, two baked chicken thighs. Two glasses of red wine and four squares 88% chocolate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with cheese, one baked chicken thigh.

Dinner: One piece of freshly baked low carb flatbread, one half stuffed with avocado, Northsea shrimp and mayonnaise, the other half with goat cream cheese and smoked salmon. One glass of red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Haven't posted yesterday, so a bit of catching up to do.

@maglil55 -- Hugs. Hope you get over the cold soon.
@Emma_369 and @Pipp -- Wonderful that you are feeling better.
@Goonergal -- It's been a tough time for you. Good that you get to relax a bit now.
@DJC3 -- Those coconut squares look to die for. Definitely something I have to explore.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a Wiener sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese, two baked chicken thighs marinated in soy sauce, cinnamon and garlic.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: One square of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: Two large chunks of manchego cheese, one Wiener sausage, two baked chicken thighs. Two glasses of red wine and four squares 88% chocolate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with cheese, one baked chicken thigh.

Dinner: One piece of freshly baked low carb flatbread, one half stuffed with avocado, Northsea shrimp and mayonnaise, the other half with goat cream cheese and smoked salmon. One glass of red wine.

They are good Ziggy, I thoroughly recommend - just like Bounty bars if you know them?

What recipe do you use for your low carb flatbread?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then it started tipping it down so we dashed into Hotel Chocolat to avoid getting completely drenched. Bought a 65% Supermilk chocolate advent calendar 1/2 price! And the lovely chap in there let me sample their cocoa gin, which is delicious so I bought a bottle.

What a great shop to be near when you need to dash inside! Good to know about the cocoa gin - I bought a small bottle for my Dad for Christmas. The 65% with whole hazelnuts on top is good (a little too moreish....)

Thanks Ziggy and @DJC3 Comparative lie-in today - up at just before 6 with time to relax over a cup of tea and the forum. Bliss.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a yearning for baked Camembert as well today, bought 2 for £5 in the Coop each in its own ceramic dish. I would never have thought of doing it in the IP though, thanks for the tip.

I had heard of it, but hadn't seen (or looked to be fair) for a method, and Feisty Tapas is a reliable source, for obvious (to IP users) reasons.

Apropos nothing - I see the cauldron is on offer on Amazon at the moment. Not quite so stupendous as Black Friday, but a good price. I'm still waiting for the baby one..............

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great shop to be near when you need to dash inside! Good to know about the cocoa gin - I bought a small bottle for my Dad for Christmas. The 65% with whole hazelnuts on top is good (a little too moreish....)

Thanks Ziggy and @DJC3 Comparative lie-in today - up at just before 6 with time to relax over a cup of tea and the forum. Bliss.

A happily less fraught start to the day than usual for you.
I really like the Truro HC branch, it’s quite small but the staff are so friendly. One of the staff made me laugh saying her mum comes in every day and scoffs the free samples ‘every day! It’s so embarrassing!’
Hope your dad enjoys the gin, the chap in there recommended serving with a twist of orange, which I think sounds good.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had heard of it, but hadn't seen (or looked to be fair) for a method, and Feisty Tapas is a reliable source, for obvious (to IP users) reasons.

Apropos nothing - I see the cauldron is on offer on Amazon at the moment. Not quite so stupendous as Black Friday, but a good price. I'm still waiting for the baby one..............

Quite a lot of people seemed to buy one yesterday after the Philip Schofield review I noticed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a lot of people seemed to buy one yesterday after the Philip Schofield review I noticed.

That could well be why the offer is on right now. I hadn't thought about that.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are good Ziggy, I thoroughly recommend - just like Bounty bars if you know them?

What recipe do you use for your low carb flatbread?

I will definitely try them, hmm so yummy, maybe even today. Thought about using an ice-cube tray (silicon) to make them. My plan is to melt the chocolate into the tray, coat the bottom and the sides, freeze it, fill with coconut mixture, freeze again, and then melt some chocolate on top. What do you think? Could this work?

For the flatbread, I use a modified dietdoctor keto bread recipe. Two quarter cups almond flour, 2.5 quarter cups lupin bean flour, 0.5 quarter cup chia seed flour, 1 quarter cup plus 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, 1 packet of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground coriander, some nigella seeds and some caraway seed. Mix with boiling water. Form dough balls the size of a small fist and use rolling pin to roll out. (I use linseed flour to keep the dough from sticking to the wax paper. Should be about 2-3 mm thick. Bake at 180 degrees, takes about 20 to 30 minutes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will definitely try them, hmm so yummy, maybe even today. Thought about using an ice-cube tray (silicon) to make them. My plan is to melt the chocolate into the tray, coat the bottom and the sides, freeze it, fill with coconut mixture, freeze again, and then melt some chocolate on top. What do you think? Could this work?

For the flatbread, I use a modified dietdoctor keto bread recipe. Two quarter cups almond flour, 2.5 quarter cups lupin bean flour, 0.5 quarter cup chia seed flour, 1 quarter cup plus 1 tablespoon psyllium husk, 1 packet of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground coriander, some nigella seeds and some caraway seed. Mix with boiling water. Form dough balls the size of a small fist and use rolling pin to roll out. (I use linseed flour to keep the dough from sticking to the wax paper. Should be about 2-3 mm thick. Bake at 180 degrees, takes about 20 to 30 minutes.

Yes I think that’s a great idea - I’d decided to do similar myself with the next batch - it was so messy trying to dip them.
Thanks for the flatbread recipe it sounds delicious- I’m going to have to hunt down that lupin flour, I’ve seen you use it quite often. I’ve never seen chia seed flour though, but I expect a quick Amazon search will reveal it.

Reactions: maglil55