What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
L. M and S nutty, whole food salad
Snack. Quinoa scone with butter and black tea (cafe)
D. Green peppercorn tofu stirfry with green beans and sugar snap peas, rhubarb Greek yoghurt, roasted nuts, diet tonic
B. Boiled egg, HiLo toast with butter and vegemite.

How not to eat - for me anyway. I was out on Friday evening at a venue chosen by the guest of honour. Meal ended up being gin and (full sugar) tonic, whitebait, battered cod and a very small piece of birthday cake. I felt rough for the next 12 hours but it was a good remainder of what can happen when I take my eye off the ball and let other people buy drinks etc. A salutary lesson!

I felt very ill once after drinking 2 x full sugar tonic while out. Ever since then I've insisted on seeing the bottle it's poured from and quite frequently I've had to point out that instead of slimline they've used full sugar. I'm sure It sounds like we are being picky so I do try go explain why diabetics shouldn't drink full sugar drinks but mostly just get a blank look back.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Not so sunny today but still a nice day for a spot of gardening and garden planning for the summer.

Today....

Sunday Brunch: Egg, bacon, high % meat chipolatas, mushrooms, and a couple of tablespoons of baked beans

Snack: The last bit of the cranberry Wensleydale

Dinner: Prawn Korma (made with coconut milk) and cauliflower rice

Pudding: Blackberries and Turkish yoghurt

Drinks: black decaff coffee, milk with lactose free milk and my usual 2litres of still spring water and probably a glass of red wine

I'm quite looking forward to my fast (starting after breakfast tomorrow) but I'm also feeling quite nervous. The only time I've gone without food for this long was when I had the norovirus bug a few Christmases ago but that definitely wasn't through choice.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so sunny today but still a nice day for a spot of gardening and garden planning for the summer.

Today....

Sunday Brunch: Egg, bacon, high % meat chipolatas, mushrooms, and a couple of tablespoons of baked beans

Drinks: black decaff coffee, milk with lactose free milk and my usual 2litres of still spring water and probably a glass of red wine

I'm quite looking forward to my fast (starting after breakfast tomorrow) but I'm also feeling quite nervous. The only time I've gone without food for this long was when I had the norovirus bug a few Christmases ago but that definitely wasn't through choice.
Hugs for your pre fast nerves hope it goes well

Reactions: zauberflote

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook and @Dr Snoddy all the pubs round here serve Fevertree tonic and their lighter version contains about 6g carbs. When I spoke to the landlord of our local lamenting not being able to have a G&T and explained why he said he keeps a small supply of (Britvic) cal/carb free for some of his “old boys” who are diabetic. So now me and the old boys are sorted.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Today....

Good luck with the fast

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - not posting any food or drink. Would be shameful to as I can’t pretend I’ve been good :bag: and my weekend is still in full swing but, will be straight back to the low carb in the morning and will fit a good fast in this week - need to re-lose some of the weight I’ve inevitably gained and re-set my BG readings which in fairness haven’t been above a 7.5 (at 1hr after food) and I’ve tested a lot because of the heavy weekend, but need to re-set to where I ideally like to be.
Hope you get let home soon @Rachox
Like many others I can’t wait to make @jjraak chocolate yumminess

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I was nervous with my first fasts too.
Too many hypos with HAnger in my background.
But being in ketosis makes the experience soooo much better/different from ‘normal’ hunger.

Good news about the sofa @Goonergal. Bet you are loving it!

Don’t think I posted yesterday...?
B: herb baked eggs with cream, parmesan, rosemary, parsley and thyme.
L: not needed
D: a huge slice of LC cheesecake (basically cream cheese with lemon and a minimum of sweetener).

The cheesecake was totally left field and acted as a kind of giant fat bomb. :hilarious:
Delicious and animal product, but I don’t think that eggs and cream cheese all day do much for my carnivore street cred! Haha!

So today:
B: none.
L: none.
Still riding the Fat Bomb Wave
D: will be lamb mince korma.

I am braced for my Thriva fasting insulin test result some time tomorrow. Every expectation of bad news, and high insulin resistance, even on carnivore, and have spent the weekend contemplating my reactions.
Have a horrible suspicion that the time may have come.
My DOOM may be upon me.
:(
I may have to start... urgh... i can hardly type it... shudder... exercising.
Vile thought.
Not talking about my lovely daily doggy trundles, with fresh air, sun, sniffs and rambles, with nature photos and chuntering with other walkers (as they worship the muttlets for cuteness and polite behaviour).

Oh no.
I am talking about that horrible concept: HIIT with kettlebells

Ewww!

Mind you, I would still prefer to do HIIT than fast for more than 24 hrs! Lol
Probably the lesser of two weavils.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

Today....
I hope that the fast goes well. I am still not game to give it a go.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Somewhat unexpectedly I’m 30+ hours into what will hopefully become a 48 hour fast. OMAD yesterday was at lunch rather than dinner and as wasn’t feeling hungry this afternoon decided to keep going and see what happens.

Plenty of tea with cream during an afternoon rendezvous with @DJC3 on her way home from Croydon.

@Chook good luck with your fast - sending an extra hug.

@Brunneria good luck with the fasting insulin test. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have baseline data for these things? Your eggs sound good - is there a recipe?

@Brunneria and @DJC3 thanks for the sofa thoughts - am indeed loving it. Can lie full length on this one. Definitely very snuguppable on.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
@Brunneria good luck with your results tomorrow. I’m planning to take my bloods for Thriva tests in the am. Will do cholesterol for sure and others if I can easily fill a second test tube! I take heart from you easily managing it. I can happily do one but never tried two! So am now on water fast only started after dinner and will take bloods between 7 and 8. Funnily enough I have a gym induction on Wednesday morning @Brunneria ! I’m doing cholesterol because I’ve been invited in for my 6 month cholesterol blood taking and review and that should be enough but problem is they tend to want a discussion re statins after shocking me with results whereas I’d like the time to look at them and review ratios etc before the discussion so even though I have online access they don’t press button until after appt!
Breakfast bacon and egg one of each
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil with four lc crispbreads
Dinner smoked roast beef, cauliflower cheese and braised celery followed by lc lemon and lime mousse no Sunday glass of wine as can affect the trigs on full lipids so not taking the risk! May have one tomorrow instead as usually have Monday off see how I feel.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so looking forward to Dobbies finishing their renovations. Despite the early bulbs pushing through the garden really needs a bit more colour.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice thinking,
But i always found from the multiple times with mum & dad, that friday night IS Lock Down Day.

No one ever seemed to be around to take responsibility for letting any one leave.
the amounts of times we had to bitterly wait until late on monday.

Hope i'm wrong for ya, @Rachox
Got to agree. If you don't escape on Friday you're done for. I remember once after I'd been in 8 days they actually allowed me to go out with my husband for a few hours on condition I returned in time for cocoa and didn't overdo the alcohol. It was a pleasant escape and I got out on the Monday.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still in hospital :rolleyes:
Breakfast: Greek yoghurt and strawberries.
Lunch: roast chicken (I scraped most of the gravy off in case) with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly.
Mid afternoon: caramel phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: cheese omelette with side salad followed by Greek yoghurt and two squares of 90% dark chocolate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal this is kind of a World of Warcraft recipe. Only I changed it a bit, of course. Because I am constitutionally unable to do what i am told (i.e. follow recipes).

So the recipe says, put eggs in a small oven dish with a dash of cream. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake til cooked to your taste, and add the herbs before or after cooking, as preferred.

I have a pot of chopped herbs in the freezer ready to sprinkle.

I did it as a fried egg version, cooked very, very slowly with a lid over the pan. Worked just as well as oven baking, only quicker. :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal this is kind of a World of Warcraft recipe. Only I changed it a bit, of course. Because I am constitutionally unable to do what i am told (i.e. follow recipes).

So the recipe says, put eggs in a small oven dish with a dash of cream. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake til cooked to your taste, and add the herbs before or after cooking, as preferred.

I have a pot of chopped herbs in the freezer ready to sprinkle.

I did it as a fried egg version, cooked very, very slowly with a lid over the pan. Worked just as well as oven baking, only quicker. :D

Sounds great. I may have to test my carnivore street cred tomorrow ;)

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 yes I put the toast up on CMT. It really is a provisional first draft, and I think I forgot to say I added more salt than I liked to. It needs work for me to not use the salt. But I think everybody else should put in salt!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 and @Brunneria I also have a Thriva test kit for insulin resistance among orher things - got a 50% discount with a FB add but I’ve eaten too late to take it tomorrow.
@Chook good luck with the fast I’ll be watching with interest.
@Rachox so sorry you’re stuck in for another night. At least no cheese omelete today.
Had a lovely day today, beakfast was a nice hotel fry up. 2 eggs, 2 bacon, lots of mushrooms and coffee with a pot of snaffled John Lewis cream ( asked waitress fo cream but was told The English don’t have cream in coffee!!!!)
No lunch but a lovely walk along the Thames in the sunshine with @Goonergal who thoughtfully provided cream for our tea/ coffee breaks.
Intended to carry on fasting but when I got home the girls were just going out to Nandos so I couldn’t resist and tagged along. 4 chicken thighs ( medium hot sauce) and halloumi.
Finally home and relaxing.

@zauberflote thanks for CMT bread recipe.