What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to normal here, peace and quiet resumed for a couple of days until grandchildren come to stay so a quick catch up.
Today a large breakfast to see the travellers off. I had a little plate with a small bit of everything: scrambled egg, slice of avocado, slice of fried halloumi and about 30g smoked salmon. CWC
Lunch: hoping not to be hungry, but sadly I was. 1 slice ham, 1 HB egg 1 spoonful coleslaw followed by a dollop of natural yoghurt and a 39g bar of Montezuma’s.
Handful of pecans this afternoon, wasn’t hungry so no idea why.
Dinner will be megrim sole, 2 scallops and whatever veg is in the bottom of the fridge.

Thanks for repeating all the Skinny bread stuff @ianpspurs and @maglil55 I too had lost it. I bought some oat fibre recently as I liked the look of a loaf I saw somewhere which used it. The loaf looked nice and wasn’t at all eggy but I didn’t like the texture - mind if I raid your CMT for other bread recipes to use it up Maglil55 ?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Safely back at hotel having a wee rest before going back out. Sunday was travel day and was interesting! Up at 6am so I could shower and do last bits of housework before we left. Quite a gloomy morning.
Got to the station nice and early armed with my M&S food and the last 2 boiled eggs from the egg stash in the fridge. So, bed 6.4 FBG 5.8. I'm also getting back into the 4's during the day.
B. TAG with ADOC. Left the rest until I was on the train. I was correct there was nothing I could eat - only crisps and biscuits, but the coffee was surprisingly good. That was until they declassified 1st class and then there was nothing more because you couldn't move for people sitting on the floor, packing the aisles etc. Seriously overcrowded. The few of us who had paid for 1st class were told to complain and they'll refund. Didn't alter the fact it was downright dodgy trying to get off the train with luggage, me on crutches and the route to the doors jam packed!
Anyway before all that happened I managed to have a coffee, a boiled egg, 3 chicken koftas a piece of M&S red Leicester and a very addictive M&S cornish cove with balsamic onions (the 30g portions). Eventually got into Chester around 3pm.
D. Met up with SIL & BIL and drunk way too much dry white wine. Started with two white wine spritzer
Well our room wasn't ready and we were sent off to the bar with vouchers for free drinks. Next surprise was I could eat almost everything on the menu! They even had items marked low carb-higherfat/protein. Got settled then another spritzer. BG down to 4.6 so after much debate I had nicely cooked squid (no batter on it) with garlic mayo and watercress. Then had a bunless wild boar and chorizo burger with usual salad and a gerkin, cheese, red cabbage slaw and halloumi chips. Yet more wine! Americano and yes a little pot of cream.
They also have celeriac mash on the menu but I'll save that for another night.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem - that's what it's there for.
Back to normal here, peace and quiet resumed for a couple of days until grandchildren come to stay so a quick catch up.
Today a large breakfast to see the travellers off. I had a little plate with a small bit of everything: scrambled egg, slice of avocado, slice of fried halloumi and about 30g smoked salmon. CWC
Lunch: hoping not to be hungry, but sadly I was. 1 slice ham, 1 HB egg 1 spoonful coleslaw followed by a dollop of natural yoghurt and a 39g bar of Montezuma’s.
Handful of pecans this afternoon, wasn’t hungry so no idea why.
Dinner will be megrim sole, 2 scallops and whatever veg is in the bottom of the fridge.

Thanks for repeating all the Skinny bread stuff @ianpspurs and @maglil55 I too had lost it. I bought some oat fibre recently as I liked the look of a loaf I saw somewhere which used it. The loaf looked nice and wasn’t at all eggy but I didn’t like the texture - mind if I raid your CMT for other bread recipes to use it up Maglil55 ?

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our Airfryer arrived!
(Its a half price reconditioned one from QVC. Stonking price)
No idea why it was reduced, it is in perfect condition and still had the sticky tape on the drawer, so it had never been used.

B: bone broth
L: a cunning combo of our fab butchers sausages and prawns in curried cream. DELICIOUS. Kind of curried surf and pork turf. :hilarious:
Then the air fryer arrived and I played with some garlic doughballs for Mr B. The smell of them was torture.
Then I had some chicken wings.

The airfryer is seriously HOT. Next time i will reduce both the cooking time and the temperature.
Tescos order arriving tomorrow, and i intend to have a good play. More wings, tandoori lamb, kebabs, chips for Him, halloumi chips for moi... i am going to try and use it continuously until i am comfortable with using it without effort. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I think that’s the trick with all new gadgets - use frequently until comfortable - have fun. Mine is a Lidl one and I really like it but only if it’s just me &Mr C , any more and it’s just not big enough to cook in a single batch. Even 4 lamb chops only just fit.
@maglil55 your hotel sounds wonderful. What is it called? Perhaps we should consider it for the next DCUK meet up?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day sunshine. Whatever a 4 hr eating window means I think I had one - all the gear and no idea me. Lots of tea for B I like it best. NE1 around 3.15 was an egg salad with h/m mayo. NE2 was mackerel (in EVO) salad - much bigger and in my beloved vinaigrette with heap plenty chia seeds. Did have 3 monster cherries. 1 water bottle of electrolyte tablet and 1 free latte - well for the cost of 2 x leaves and edible flowers salad. Yes, it was functional - don't think my car cares what the diesel tastes like but it won't run on unleaded. @maglil55 enjoy your time away and @DJC3 chance to chill out after family weekend.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our Airfryer arrived!
(Its a half price reconditioned one from QVC. Stonking price)
No idea why it was reduced, it is in perfect condition and still had the sticky tape on the drawer, so it had never been used.

B: bone broth
L: a cunning combo of our fab butchers sausages and prawns in curried cream. DELICIOUS. Kind of curried surf and pork turf. :hilarious:
Then the air fryer arrived and I played with some garlic doughballs for Mr B. The smell of them was torture.
Then I had some chicken wings.

The airfryer is seriously HOT. Next time i will reduce both the cooking time and the temperature.
Tescos order arriving tomorrow, and i intend to have a good play. More wings, tandoori lamb, kebabs, chips for Him, halloumi chips for moi... i am going to try and use it continuously until i am comfortable with using it without effort. :D

I saved this a while ago for those times when I want to wing it, but want a bit of a helper on the conversion: https://www.airfryercalculator.com/

There are similar calcultors around. I also liked the charts on here: https://www.airfryerrecipes.com/air-fryer-time-temperature-conversion-calculator/

It's a shame they tend to originate in the US, so if you find a good UK/European one, could you let me know?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold sweet chilli chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Viv19

Today I had this without the cauliflower rice. I am yet to try cauliflower rice, but it doesn't sound very nice...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sindhi-style-lamb-curry-with-cauliflower-rice

I had plenty of veg with it instead.

Does anyone know where I can buy cauliflower rice to try

It actually tastes quite good. You can easily make it yourself- just grate some cauli, then toss it in butter with some salt and pepper. Cook it a short while- 5-10 minutes. The good thing about it is that it takes up sauces really well and bulks out the meal. So a curry sauce goes well with it, as does other meals with gravy or sauce.
You can season it according to your own taste. It’s quite adaptable.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so i got peckish, and the halloumi was calling me.

Just had a small portion of fish and chips.
- that was leftover baked salmon and halloumi fries (which were tossed in smoked paprika oil before air frying.

Delighted with the whole mini meal.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Viv19

Food today.
Tea
No breakfast
Cwc nuts
Lunch, 2 slices LC bread with assorted cheese.
Yoghurt and berries.
Dinner I tried out a recipe for beef bourguignon in the IP. Very clever pot! I did all the pre frying on the cooker top, then threw it into the pot. Deglazed the frying pan with red wine too so nothing good was lost.
It’s OH birthday on Saturday (a highish round one) so some of the family are coming and I’ll put on a buffet. We’re only 12 as some of them are on holiday/at a wedding so that’s simple enough.
Anyway this evening I had some of the tryout with broccoli. Couldn’t be bothered with cauli rice, but it would have been good for the sauce.
Red wine. Tea.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food today.
Tea
No breakfast
Cwc nuts
Lunch, 2 slices LC bread with assorted cheese.
Yoghurt and berries.
Dinner I tried out a recipe for beef bourguignon in the IP. Very clever pot! I did all the pre frying on the cooker top, then threw it into the pot. Deglazed the frying pan with red wine too so nothing good was lost.
It’s OH birthday on Saturday (a highish round one) so some of the family are coming and I’ll put on a buffet. We’re only 12 as some of them are on holiday/at a wedding so that’s simple enough.
Anyway this evening I had some of the tryout with broccoli. Couldn’t be bothered with cauli rice, but it would have been good for the sauce.
Red wine. Tea.
I'm excited you're enjoying your cauldron, Viv. You're doing fabulously well, I think.

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Mud crab sandwiches (plenty of meat in them for this time of year).
Dinner: Curried chook, veggies.
Breakfast: Usual cheesey and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea with out sweetening additives, water.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Didn’t get to post yesterday.

Wanted to do an OMAD day but appetite won out. Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and some smoked salmon.

Dinner at Nando’s after a long walk in the sun post work. My usual of 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi. PLUS I discovered they’ll happily supply butter pats, so added one of those to the chicken. A new branch of Nando’s for me which has a covered outdoor seating area, so sat eating with the sun on my back and a gentle breeze. Very welcome after a difficult day.

After catching up with all your posts, I now have air fryer envy. However, my trusty slow cooker has just switched itself on for tonight’s deliciousness :)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Reakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: smallish egg mayo with little gem leaves.
Supper: Roasted aubergine, red onion, tomato with EVO and Italian dried herbs.
Coffee mid morning. Discovered new way of making water interesting. Bought Twinings cold infuse pyramid bags (watermelon, mango & blood orange) other flavours available. Also tried Tetley version (Orange & peach) but the Twinings won out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just putting some chicken wings in the airfryer.

- well, it is important to work out the times and temps, isn't it?
So I guess I just have to eat brekkie today... haha!

Going to cook 3, see how they turn out, then cook another 3 at the tweaked temps.

Was looking online yesterday, and it seems that every brand of airfryer cooks at its own temperature, and then within the brand, each airfryer may have its own idiosyncrasies.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
3 days precis
27-07-19
nut granola, two hours later breakfast pot at Warwick services. company called Tossed, freshly cooked scrambled eggs, with avocado, spinach and crispy bacon at a reasonable price.
Visit to son1 lunch out at vietnamese restaurant, had Pho,with all the meaty bits, but only ate a small amount of noodles
evening cheese, olives, avocado and wine, tiny piece of seeded bread

28-07-19 , my own nut granola, then travelling
lunch on the ferry, very late, roast lamb and ratatouille
dinner: buffet starter: prawns, pate, smoked salmon, stuffed egg, tiny peppers stuffed with cheese, salad, langoustines, plateful of delights really. shared a bottle of method traditional
main: duck with calvados and apple cream sauce, came with a mini apple tart, three servings of mash and pea shoots, disappointing lack of vegetables, although the duck was delicious and i ate the mini tart.
dessert, had a smogasbord from the buffet, tiny portion, probably desertspoonful of chocolate delice... brain gone dead, and several others, two pieces of cheese. Unsurprisingly slept most of the drive home. Arrived about midnight, tea and fall into bed.

yesterday 29-07-19
nut granola, two egg ommelete, duck eggs, delicious.
lunch pate and baguette, few cherry toms from the garden whch has survived remarkably well, half a pear.
dinner, hake, 2 new potatoes from garden, frozen french beans and peas. sauvignon blanc There is questionmark over the efficiency of the fridge/freezer, we may need to replace it :arghh:. Already had to ditch the dishwasher, has been in storage too long. Rust and mould taken hold.

Need to make another batch of nut granola.
Clean the ( new to us) enormous range cooker ready for him to install. ASAP
MrSlim is hoping to get KITCHEN SINK installed today or tomorrow. :watching: After weeks of fetching water from the stable -which is only 50 yards, but still unlit and inconvenient. Will be a significant improvement in living conditions.

Time to get him up