What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 days precis
27-07-19
nut granola, two hours later breakfast pot at Warwick services. company called Tossed, freshly cooked scrambled eggs, with avocado, spinach and crispy bacon at a reasonable price.
Visit to son1 lunch out at vietnamese restaurant, had Pho,with all the meaty bits, but only ate a small amount of noodles
evening cheese, olives, avocado and wine, tiny piece of seeded bread

28-07-19 , my own nut granola, then travelling
lunch on the ferry, very late, roast lamb and ratatouille
dinner: buffet starter: prawns, pate, smoked salmon, stuffed egg, tiny peppers stuffed with cheese, salad, langoustines, plateful of delights really. shared a bottle of method traditional
main: duck with calvados and apple cream sauce, came with a mini apple tart, three servings of mash and pea shoots, disappointing lack of vegetables, although the duck was delicious and i ate the mini tart.
dessert, had a smogasbord from the buffet, tiny portion, probably desertspoonful of chocolate delice... brain gone dead, and several others, two pieces of cheese. Unsurprisingly slept most of the drive home. Arrived about midnight, tea and fall into bed.

yesterday 29-07-19
nut granola, two egg ommelete, duck eggs, delicious.
lunch pate and baguette, few cherry toms from the garden whch has survived remarkably well, half a pear.
dinner, hake, 2 new potatoes from garden, frozen french beans and peas. sauvignon blanc There is questionmark over the efficiency of the fridge/freezer, we may need to replace it :arghh:. Already had to ditch the dishwasher, has been in storage too long. Rust and mould taken hold.

Need to make another batch of nut granola.
Clean the ( new to us) enormous range cooker ready for him to install. ASAP
MrSlim is hoping to get KITCHEN SINK installed today or tomorrow. :watching: After weeks of fetching water from the stable -which is only 50 yards, but still unlit and inconvenient. Will be a significant improvement in living conditions.

Time to get him up
Kitchen coming together will clearly be a major improvement in life so pleased for you both. Have to admire Mr Slim for both his hard work and skills.

Reactions: SlimLizzy and Viv19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
airfryer chick wing update (cos its my new toy, and I am fascinated)

165 deg for 20 mins produces the perfect result for medium wings.
The cooking instructions on the wing pack says 180 deg for 30-35 mins.

So that is a very significant difference, isn't it?

They were delicious, which is the important thing, and definitely better than chook wings by other cooking methods I have tried.

Now I need to work on the various spice options... :wacky:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just putting some chicken wings in the airfryer.

- well, it is important to work out the times and temps, isn't it?
So I guess I just have to eat brekkie today... haha!

Going to cook 3, see how they turn out, then cook another 3 at the tweaked temps.

Was looking online yesterday, and it seems that every brand of airfryer cooks at its own temperature, and then within the brand, each airfryer may have its own idiosyncrasies.

Somebody once said to me just to treat the air fryer a bit like a little oven. it'll cook anything you would do in the oven, only usually a bit faster and if you're looking for a bit of crispness, it'll usually oblige.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
airfryer chick wing update (cos its my new toy, and I am fascinated)

165 deg for 20 mins produces the perfect result for medium wings.
The cooking instructions on the wing pack says 180 deg for 30-35 mins.

So that is a very significant difference, isn't it?

They were delicious, which is the important thing, and definitely better than chook wings by other cooking methods I have tried.

Now I need to work on the various spice options... :wacky:

I never, ever had wings before the A/F. I bought some after someone on here (@Resurgam , I think) mentioned how good they were.

Game changer.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food eaten today (and the same yesterday but forgot to post)
Woke up later today
Black coffee x2
Eggs and minced beef
cwc

Went out this morning to buy more apples and cream so next bit is
A sort of desert made by me
Mince the apple and add cream, blend and get thick, look in cupboard and find bits... add cinnamon and cacao powder (never used it before) and coffee. Dish up and add blitzed seeds, other mixed seeds, and chia seeds. There was a tiny bit of cream left so poured that on top.
Delicious.

That was eaten in a 4 hour window.

Black coffee, tea and water

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was scrambled eggs and tea.

Lunch - experimental try out of black pudding. I am apparently anaemic and will be taking an iron supplement, but I don't do well with it (had to have it before) so to avoid problems and having to have iron infused at the hospital, I want to push up the iron content of my food. As No 1 son suggested, black pudding is a good source of iron, so since he was taking me to the butcher's this morning, I bought some of Charles Macleod's Stornoway Black Pudding to try. Had it for lunch to see what it does for my blood sugar. (It has some oatmeal in it, so I'm dubious.) A bit peppery but quite tasty. Normally would have it as part of a meal with maybe bacon and egg or with seafood but for the experiment I had it on its own. So far I'm up from 6.5 to 8.7.

Dinner will be a Greek style salad with little bits of pork sausage mixed in to it. Surely the lunch will be enough iron for one day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria I think that’s the trick with all new gadgets - use frequently until comfortable - have fun. Mine is a Lidl one and I really like it but only if it’s just me &Mr C , any more and it’s just not big enough to cook in a single batch. Even 4 lamb chops only just fit.
@maglil55 your hotel sounds wonderful. What is it called? Perhaps we should consider it for the next DCUK meet up?
It's the Doubletree on Warrington Road, Chester.

Viv19

Breakfast was scrambled eggs and tea.

Lunch - experimental try out of black pudding. I am apparently anaemic and will be taking an iron supplement, but I don't do well with it (had to have it before) so to avoid problems and having to have iron infused at the hospital, I want to push up the iron content of my food. As No 1 son suggested, black pudding is a good source of iron, so since he was taking me to the butcher's this morning, I bought some of Charles Macleod's Stornoway Black Pudding to try. Had it for lunch to see what it does for my blood sugar. (It has some oatmeal in it, so I'm dubious.) A bit peppery but quite tasty. Normally would have it as part of a meal with maybe bacon and egg or with seafood but for the experiment I had it on its own. So far I'm up from 6.5 to 8.7.

Dinner will be a Greek style salad with little bits of pork sausage mixed in to it. Surely the lunch will be enough iron for one day.

Eggs are good too (among lots of other things) but they can be eaten so many different ways.

Reactions: gennepher

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed Sunday 5.6 FBG 6.6. I was shattered (and all the wine didn't help). Breakfast was excellent.
B. Cooked variety obviously. 2 GF sausages, rasher of back bacon , scrambled egg (couldn't resist the little pot of smoked salmon to go with it) and a bit GF black pudding. Pot of coffee and a little jug of cream.
L. We were in Llandudno for the day. I really wasn't hungry so just had an Americano and a bottle of water. Lovely sunny day in Llandudno and I'm doing a lot of walking. Nice to get a good look at the place. Used to be here a lot for work but never had time to explore. Also the first time I've been in holiday season.
D. Stuck to the hotel once we got back. Had a campari and soda and 2 white wine spritzer. Starter last night of grilled halloumi with grilled peppers, courgette and aubergine. Opted for the lump of beef I'd noticed the night before which was beautifully cooked in a red wine jus and your knife cut through it like butter. One disappointment - the celeriac mash had some potato in it. I've enlightened them nicely on that. I did like their idea of adding spring onion to it. They did , however, give me loads of veg instead - a mix of tender stem broccoli, green beans and spinach and another of char grilled little gem , peas and pancetta. Coffee (and they're getting the hang of this) they brought my little jug of cream.
Was out for the count and slept really well again. Up this morning, showered and fixed the new Libre sensor to activate tomorrow. Will do today's food tomorrow but after breakfast headed out to shop in Chester.
Back at hotel - just noticed sensor has fallen off. No idea where. Anyone know where in Chester or Liverpool I can buy another sensor? I do have my testing kit and strips with me as backup. New sensor wasn't due to activate until tomorrow.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
look in cupboard and find bits.

That bit of your recipe really made me laugh. Sounds like you found some delicious bits.

@Brunneria and @DCUKMod I am going to have to get an air fryer now.

Can we set up a gadget trading scheme on the thread? Willing to swap a toaster and electric spiralizer for an air fryer :D:D

Second full carnivore day - have started Animal August a couple of days early.

Lunch was the remaining charcuterie from Real Food Rocks and some vintage cheddar - Lidl have stopped stocking my favourite one so this was a new variety. A bit on the strong side for me.

Dinner was beyond delicious. Oxcheek slow cooked for 12 hours. Yum.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there a Boots or an Asda? Or Superdrug? Some branches of each will sell sensors. I believe Asda is the cheapest.
I get them from ASDA at home but nearest ASDA pharmacy to here is in Ellsmere Port and we're taking the train to Liverpool tomorrow. There is a Boots (I was in it today) and a Superdrug but I wasn't sure if Superdrug still sold them.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That bit of your recipe really made me laugh. Sounds like you found some delicious bits.

@Brunneria and @DCUKMod I am going to have to get an air fryer now.

Can we set up a gadget trading scheme on the thread? Willing to swap a toaster and electric spiralizer for an air fryer :D:D

Second full carnivore day - have started Animal August a couple of days early.

Lunch was the remaining charcuterie from Real Food Rocks and some vintage cheddar - Lidl have stopped stocking my favourite one so this was a new variety. A bit on the strong side for me.

Dinner was beyond delicious. Oxcheek slow cooked for 12 hours. Yum.

You will love it (airfryer that is)!

I did this, using the IP and airfryer. I've also frozen the "spare" slices, after step 3. Once defrosted, I put some plates in the small oven to warm, and put the strips in too (to dry). Once happy the pork had dried, I sprayed it with an oil mist, then airfried it.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Nom, nom, nom.

I've also added a spice rub as it dried, and I've also cut the strips into bite sized pieces before air frying. All worked.

Edited to add the link.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone had a good day in some way. Was able to carry out all core functions so yesterday's food fine and dandy. B= lots of tea. Ate egg and avocado salad (vinaigrette naturally) at around 2.15. Evening was chicken thigh (1.5) salad with h/m mayo. Gambled on chicken being no problem but probably won't touch red meat until after we move - functionality rocks. Big cals deficit but exhausted most LC food I want right now.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will love it (airfryer that is)!

I did this, using the IP and airfryer. I've also frozen the "spare" slices, after step 3. Once defrosted, I put some plates in the small oven to warm, and put the strips in too (to dry). Once happy the pork had dried, I sprayed it with an oil mist, then airfried it.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Nom, nom, nom.

I've also added a spice rub as it dried, and I've also cut the strips into bite sized pieces before air frying. All worked.

Edited to add the link.

Looks delicious, thanks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All
Todays food
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: at home with two friends. Bacon, chicken and avo salad (a la Caesar) with Cardimon dressing. Scoop Oppo ice cream, two for guests and some raspberries and grated 90% chocolate.
Supper: if ncessary couple scrambled eggs with butter.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed Sunday 5.6 FBG 6.6. I was shattered (and all the wine didn't help). Breakfast was excellent.
B. Cooked variety obviously. 2 GF sausages, rasher of back bacon , scrambled egg (couldn't resist the little pot of smoked salmon to go with it) and a bit GF black pudding. Pot of coffee and a little jug of cream.
L. We were in Llandudno for the day. I really wasn't hungry so just had an Americano and a bottle of water. Lovely sunny day in Llandudno and I'm doing a lot of walking. Nice to get a good look at the place. Used to be here a lot for work but never had time to explore. Also the first time I've been in holiday season.
D. Stuck to the hotel once we got back. Had a campari and soda and 2 white wine spritzer. Starter last night of grilled halloumi with grilled peppers, courgette and aubergine. Opted for the lump of beef I'd noticed the night before which was beautifully cooked in a red wine jus and your knife cut through it like butter. One disappointment - the celeriac mash had some potato in it. I've enlightened them nicely on that. I did like their idea of adding spring onion to it. They did , however, give me loads of veg instead - a mix of tender stem broccoli, green beans and spinach and another of char grilled little gem , peas and pancetta. Coffee (and they're getting the hang of this) they brought my little jug of cream.
Was out for the count and slept really well again. Up this morning, showered and fixed the new Libre sensor to activate tomorrow. Will do today's food tomorrow but after breakfast headed out to shop in Chester.
Back at hotel - just noticed sensor has fallen off. No idea where. Anyone know where in Chester or Liverpool I can buy another sensor? I do have my testing kit and strips with me as backup. New sensor wasn't due to activate until tomorrow.

Maglil - In your shoes, I'd be calling Abbott, even though you have no sensor to return to them.

What a pain!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maglil - In your shoes, I'd be calling Abbott, even though you have no sensor to return to them.

What a pain!
I'll email them. I still have the box and it wasn't activated but I have the details. Obviously it wasn't sticky enough for it to drop without me noticing. Meantime I'll try and get one in Chester tomorrow before we head off to Liverpool.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks delicious, thanks.

Bacon, sausages, wings, belly pork, gammon steak,............... and on and on.

Erm,........... A sort of salted nuts substitute? Airfried lardons. Oh yeah. Addictive.

Also very fabulour for browning/crisping the top of "stuff", like cauli cheese.

It's a whole new chapter of adventures. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal think of the chicken wings in the airfryer too!
@maglil55 the hotel looks wonderful - spa too? Heaven! I see it’s a Hilton which is good, I have a Hilton honours card. Sorry to hear about your sensor but glad you had the foresight to pack strips etc too.
Today I started with 1/2 a 90second bread, toasted and topped with fried unusual mushrooms we bought from a foodie market at the weekend.
Lunch was tuna Niçoise salad made with a tin of tuna, h/b egg, green beans and dressing from the Pioppi diet book - it’s lovely, contains anchovies and garlic. Some lc choc granola and yoghurt afterwards.
Dinner was an IP beef stew as it was so wet and grotty out today. 1 glass red and a couple of lc crackers with Yarg.
@PenguinMum I quite like those cold infuse teabags too. I struggle to drink enough water and they make it easier. I also like a slice of orange in water - 1 orange lasts all week.