What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Having insomnia again of late finally dozed of about 3 in the morning but woke up at 11am.

Brunch was seeded bread with mix of chopped tomatoes cheese and ham grilled. My last lot of bread. And black coffee.

Got a headache this afternoon and not feeling 100% nausea and have some stomach pain my UC is playing up since yesterday.

Afternoon tea I blitzed coffee that was frozen with some fresh cream.

Dinner made some tabbelah and had it with leftover rib eye steak from Thursday nights dinner. And a gin and tonic to help cool down from this heat.

I'm now planning to go back to being consistent with LCHF/PALEO/KETO WOE have one more week to tapping of prednisone down to 5mg tomorrow so hopefully can get back to this WOE .

Found this peacock feather outside my front yard now that's one long feather I've heard some say peacock feathers bring good luck so fingers cross it gives me luck.

My hydrangeas from my garden I saved these from my garden the rest have burnt from the heat it reached 42 degrees Celsius were I live today. Very hot day not very good for the fires here in NSW and Victoria. Tried a few arrangements but think I like the first arrangement. View attachment 37623View attachment 37624View attachment 37625View attachment 37626View attachment 37627

Lovely hydrangeas. I don't have green fingers and although I love flowers, can't grow anything either in or out doors. Decided to go for a wild garden with lots of shrubs and that works for me. Wildlife are quite keen as well. Trouble is, so are our neighbour's sheep. Good to see something beautiful and optimistic from Australia today with all the horrific news we see on our ~TV screens. Hope you stay well and get over this episode of UC soon.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 04/01/2020
Breakfast: 40g traditional rolled oats, 28g of vanilla WPI protein powder, 160g full fat greek yoghurt (I learnt today to mix in the protein powder after the oats have been cooked in water, much better consistency)

Lunch: 150g hot smoked salmon, 120g baby spinach and rocket, 122g raw red tomato, mustard. (The salmon needed using before the use by date, usually would have just had a small can of tuna)

Snack: two of my coffees had 5ml each of whole milk in them, so that was nice.

Dinner: as a treat, 194g raw weight, fat trimmed, porterhouse steak with 250g mung bean sprouts, 250g zucchini noodles and 50g sauerkraut. (mixed Italian seasoning through the vegetables and that was lovely, tad more calories then I usually consume but salmon needed using, and I had to use a small single serve container of yoghurt, will be reducing the amount back to 100g. Still struggling with oral thrush and tablets are wreaking havoc with my guts, getting by with peppermint teas and well as ginger and lemon teas).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 04/01/2020
Breakfast: 40g traditional rolled oats, 28g of vanilla WPI protein powder, 160g full fat greek yoghurt (I learnt today to mix in the protein powder after the oats have been cooked in water, much better consistency)

Lunch: 150g hot smoked salmon, 120g baby spinach and rocket, 122g raw red tomato, mustard. (The salmon needed using before the use by date, usually would have just had a small can of tuna)

Snack: two of my coffees had 5ml each of whole milk in them, so that was nice.

Dinner: as a treat, 194g raw weight, fat trimmed, porterhouse steak with 250g mung bean sprouts, 250g zucchini noodles and 50g sauerkraut. (mixed Italian seasoning through the vegetables and that was lovely, tad more calories then I usually consume but salmon needed using, and I had to use a small single serve container of yoghurt, will be reducing the amount back to 100g. Still struggling with oral thrush and tablets are wreaking havoc with my guts, getting by with peppermint teas and well as ginger and lemon teas).
Are your BGs OK? I find I'm bothered by thrush if they go high. I also found increasing the number of times I brushed my teeth daily and using a mouthwash each time helped. Thankfully, I haven't had oral thrush too often but the itch when you get it on the skin drives you nuts.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Creamy scrambled eggs (2 of the remaining 5 in the bowl) at about 10.30 today and some tea and then needed to have something before going out (a friend came out from town to give me a lift) so hunted in the cupboard to see what was there. Came up with a tin of sardines in tomato sauce - not ideal, but shouldn't be too bad for my BG.

This evening I'll have the second burrito, so pretty well all animal/fish products today. Carbs pretty low but I'm not so sure about calories.

Trying to think about ways of using offal - assuming I can get some. Haven't seen tripe for about 15 years here, kidneys are quite uncommon too. Pig's liver is usually available but not calf's. Once in a while I can get oxtail and I can always get black pudding. The local co-op did get lamb's hearts in as a trial, but they never got them back in again. Keen to try something with kidneys - can't make the dish Maglil described (can't use alcohol, even flambeed, it makes me ill - even non alcoholic grape juice does it) and can't eat mushrooms either, as I have recently discovered. But I might be able to do something like using chicken stock and cream. All depends on whether I can get kidneys when I can get to town. Just remembered I made some pate with pig's liver some weeks ago and just shoved it into the freezer. Will use that tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another lovely day with some winter sunshine but only time for short walk - but at least got out for a bit! I’ve also got my desk for work in the conservatory so really appreciate a few rays - warms it up nicely!
Breakfast two boiled eggs and half of one buttered toasted chaffle
Through day coffee some with lactofree whole milk and some with double cream
Dinner chicken curry served with chaffle as a substitute naan and glass of gin and soda. Pudding plan is sf jelly with yoghurt and cream.
Last night tonight for our Christmas decorations- I always wait until twelfth night to take them down so for me, according to the C of E calendar I gather that tomorrow is the day. Know that other calendars mark twelfth night as the 6th ie Monday. So it will be boxes from the loft and sorting tomorrow.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Nice sunny day today here too. Spent most of it shopping. Took a jumper back to M&S @DJC3 :hilarious: then spent the proceeds on a pair of Goretex trainers. Several other items bought, but found time to squeeze in lunch at Five Guys. Bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise.

Dinner was a quick and easy affair - some fried mince with a duck’s egg and corned beef, all mixed up in the pan. Yum.

Thanks for the tip about rose veal liver @maglil55 I’ll look out for that.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast coffee and cream. Tea later.
Main meal mid pm. Tragically the last of my IP brisket with buttered cabbage. Another brisket in the freezer so will be sending hubby to m&s for more beef gravy.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - you could always do Deviled Kidneys. That has no alcohol in it. Similar idea, finely chopped onion, sauce in butter until soft. Add the prepped kidneys, fry for 2 or 3 mins. Add tablespoon of tomato puree and mustard. Mix and add a little stock (about 10mls). Add some lea & perrins and season to taste. Simmer and reduce. As before add chopped parsley at the end. I used to always dust the kidneys in seasoned flour. Same with liver. Nowadays I use seasoned bamboo fibre or oat fibre which I get online. I tried to get kidneys today and couldn't. Butcher was saying it's because the slaughterhouse has been closed since 24 December. Tripe? Even I have major problems getting that. I've now tracked down an offal butcher in Edinburgh so fingers crossed I can get tripe in a week or so. I hate going into town (especially as they have work underway to extend the trams) but I'd tolerate it to get tripe.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.3. A kind of busy doing not too much day. Hubby had his eye test appointment today and needed me to drive him. So off to the Fort we went through the hell of Saturday traffic. Took longer than mine as he had to do the field test (I get it done regularly at the Eye Pavilion). Forced him to come shopping afterwards otherwise I would have been out to 6pm so had him grizzling all the way around Morrisons.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice LC bread with Dairylea and ham.
L. Nothing
D. Will be a bunless burger with cheese, coleslaw, portobello mushroom, little bit lettuce, tomato, cucumber, Helmans and Halloumi chips.
Might have a LC Baileys later.

@shelley262 - our decorations come down tomorrow too. All our lights are on for the final time for this Christmas currently. I always feel it marks the return to normal routine although that's not until Wednesday as the schools have an extra day this year.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 that flambeed kidney dish sounds very much like the one I remember ( though my auntie sadly didn’t perform the theatricals) I might give it a go if I’m feeling brave.
@Goonergal well done on taking 1 jumper back - it’s a start!
I didn’t eat until 3pm today - went roller skating with granddaughters ( I was bag lady, didn’t skate) they all had lunch there but none of it suited me.
L: Lodough wrap with cream cheese, smoked salmon and avocado, still hungry so 50g cheese and walnuts then because I was on a roll I had a DGF choc brownie with a cup of tea.
D: round at eldest daughter’s helping her get through the 20 bottles of Champagne she accidentally ordered for Christmas - we shared 1 bottle. We ate Bolognese type mince cooked in IP with roast kale.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are your BGs OK? I find I'm bothered by thrush if they go high. I also found increasing the number of times I brushed my teeth daily and using a mouthwash each time helped. Thankfully, I haven't had oral thrush too often but the itch when you get it on the skin drives you nuts.
The thrush came about when I started doing strict keto, really counting carbs and keeping them below 25g net carbs a day. My blood glucose levels would have been stable and low. But I do have dental implants and my denture has been giving me grief and has been poorly fitting for a year. Also the thrush started when I started using mouth wash again. I think I just disrupted the flora in my mouth. I have had it before on and off after I first got my implants but at the moment it's the worst case I have had to deal with. My next purchase will be a blood glucose monitor. They don't provide them for type 2 in Australia, so it's a very expensive purchase for me but for the sake of managing this outbreak and for being able to monitor what food does to me I think a purchase in the near future will be warranted.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Didn't get to post yesterday, as we went out for some wine. Very nice evening.

@Goonergal -- Absolutely agree with you, I've had tongue a couple of time and found it kind of tasteless and dry. Suppose it doesn't have a lot of fat. By the way the chicken skins looked absolutely delicious, might be tempted to invest in an air fryer.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A tub of chicken liver pate (120g).

Lunch: A small bowl of soup (beef dumplings and vegetable). Lamb's lettuce with homemade honey-mustard dressing (honey substitute with erythritol), feta cheese and two quail breasts.

Dinner: Two glasses of dry red wine. A bunless Big King XXL. Later another serving of chicken liver pate.

Blood sugars a bit higher again today, assume it was too much protein again or the lack of exercise yesterday (or both).

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Quinn1066 -- Keeping my fingers crossed that your thrush gets better soon. Might be worth it to get a blood glucose monitor to see if blood sugar levels contribute to it.

Today ...

Blood sugars a bit higher today, but nothing really serious.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola. A smallish bowl of soup.

Dinner: Duck breast with leftover homemade sate sauce ... and have to confess a whole bar of 85% chocolate (80g @ 13g of carbs altogether).

Carbs have crept up a bit to 30g daily (probably due to more veggies, chocolate and homemade sauces). Definitely have to start cuting down a bit on this.

mouseee

Breakfast
Yesterdays pancakes with greek yogurt and a few blueberries.

Lunch
Can't remember! I made some low carb almond butter biscuits that I have eaten more than one of, testing showed no bg rise, but I think that needs checking again. It can't be right!

Tea
The rest of the fillet steak with roasted veg.

Husband has managed 3 days of sensible eating. He has scoffed more veg than I have ever seen before!

D

Deleted member 308541

They don't provide them for type 2 in Australia, so it's a very expensive purchase for me but for the sake of managing this outbreak and for being able to monitor what food does to me I think a purchase in the near future will be warranted.
@Quinn1066 You can get a free meter from either Abbott or Accu-Chek to name just two from their Australian website, the strips are subsidised if you join the NDSS which is free.

The link for the NDSS is here, and you will need to get your GP to fill part of it in: https://www.ndss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/forms/form-ndss-registration-form.pdf

The NDSS strip form is here, this again needs your GP to fill in a bit: https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/14bee3f6-6933-45bc-8853-c7ef030586d2.pdf

Depending if you have a government concession card, the strips will cost $1.20 with the card, or $15.00 without the card. Which is a big saving over $60.00 per 100 strips.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Quinn1066 You can get a free meter from either Abbott or Accu-Chek to name just two from their Australian website, the strips are subsidised if you join the NDSS which is free.

The link for the NDSS is here, and you will need to get your GP to fill part of it in: https://www.ndss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/forms/form-ndss-registration-form.pdf

The NDSS strip form is here, this again needs your GP to fill in a bit: https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/14bee3f6-6933-45bc-8853-c7ef030586d2.pdf

Depending if you have a government concession card, the strips will cost $1.20 with the card, or $15.00 without the card. Which is a big saving over $60.00 per 100 strips.
Thank you so much for this advice, greatly appreciated.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out with friends: chicken and bacon Caesar salad and a small cappuccino.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner, Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, spring onions and cucumber, two small pancakes and a smidge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a couple of squares of orange and cacao nibs chocolate.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today , my diet was a bit unusual and I had more coffee than usual .

1 - an egg and one slice of sprouted whole wheat bread for a breakfast at 8 am ( with black coffee ).

2- another coffee later at 11 am .

3- My bf made a late lunch or early dinner at 4:30 pm ( tofu cooked with mushroom , bell pepper - a tiny dude dish of cauliflower rice - and green salad ) . I had a diabetic sugar free low carb chocolate cake for dessert ( with coffee )

4- at night , 9 pm, we had a bit of walnut, blueberry and cheese, and a few no carb diabetic tortilla chips as snack . Lots of water .

Last edited: