What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Clams with king prawns in garlicky white wine sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, onion, double cream, rosemary, butter and parmesan cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with toasted pine nuts.
Garlic chestnut mushrooms.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with crab, brown shrimps, lettuce, apple peel, celery and baby plum tomatoes with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with parsley and toasted almonds.
Water to swallow tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice.

2023-12-18 19.10.26.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today was fish fillet a lá bordelaise (Aldi), and whatever veggies were still in my kitchen mixed with cream cheese. A small leek, a small onion and some bell pepper, not bad at all!
That was yesterday, so today I obviously had the other half of my fish fillet a lá bordelaise.
The veggies in cream cheese weren't enough for a full portion, so I added a lot of raw onion, some cream cheese, the leftovers of last weeks mayo based sauces which still smelled and tasted good, a can of tuna, and an egg, and put the mixture in a large halved bell pepper to bake.

One half of bell pepper was more than enough so I have the other half left for tomorrow. Sometimes this using up leftovers seems a neverending story. I also have enough of the mixture left to fill yet a second bell pepper, I am really bad at gauging portions when cooking...

1702930969673.png

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all. @DJC3 I often wondered about the Pork crunch, now ordered some - on your head be it. A day that food forgot today as JKP and MIL aren't feeling great and we know we'll eat well next week.
Tea and peanut butter - spoon. Kg tub, rummage - simples
CWC, 2 Advent calendar cheese portions (double Gioucester) buttered h/m Keto Panettone release 1
MS KC roll, 2 XL f/r eggs, 2 baby plum tomatoes
Cold lamb shoulder, cabbage, Idahoan Buttery instant mash (ingredients not great, taste and effect fine) KC Christmas pudding - water, multi vit, biotin and D3 and K2.

View attachment 65003
Hug for your two ladies. Hope they are feeling better soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @DJC3 I often wondered about the Pork crunch, now ordered some - on your head be it. A day that food forgot today as JKP and MIL aren't feeling great and we know we'll eat well next week.
Tea and peanut butter - spoon. Kg tub, rummage - simples
CWC, 2 Advent calendar cheese portions (double Gioucester) buttered h/m Keto Panettone release 1
MS KC roll, 2 XL f/r eggs, 2 baby plum tomatoes
Cold lamb shoulder, cabbage, Idahoan Buttery instant mash (ingredients not great, taste and effect fine) KC Christmas pudding - water, multi vit, biotin and D3 and K2.

View attachment 65003

Hope you like the pork crunch.
Please tell me about instant mash - I vaguely remember some chat in here about it a while ago. I’ve never had it, is it just dried potato and do you think that turns it into resistant starch? Or is it the addition of lots of butter that stops BG spike do you think?
Hope the poorly family members feel better soon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you like the pork crunch.
Please tell me about instant mash - I vaguely remember some chat in here about it a while ago. I’ve never had it, is it just dried potato and do you think that turns it into resistant starch? Or is it the addition of lots of butter that stops BG spike do you think?
Hope the poorly family members feel better soon.
Regarding the instant mash I think it is a mix of factors. Possibly I am able to metabolise a small amount efficiently now. Also one can weigh out a set amount of flakes/powder rather than having say one potato. Thirdly, the butter must help - I would never normally put butter in mashed potatoes. I think like most things the effect is highly individual. Thanks for the good wishes for the gels.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Break fast - 30g salted almonds. 2cups almond milk coffee.
Snack - 25gram flax seed bread.Almond milk coffee.
Lunch - cauli rice, brocoli-spinach soup, beans curry, egg white curry. Almond milk coffee
Snack - Almond milk coffee
Dinner- chia seeds, salad, beans curry, spinach-brocoli soup, 50grams peanuts. Almond milk coffee
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-19 at 7.47.44 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-12-19 at 7.46.58 PM.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-Black coffee then about 50g h/m yoghurt.
L- I’m trying to eat more oily fish but finding it hard. I saw this recipe for sardine fish cakes on a carnivore group so thought I’d try it. A definite keeper and the house didn’t stink afterwards either. 1 tin sardines mashed with an egg and quite a lot of grated cheese ( maybe 2 cups). Put dollops into a frying pan and hey presto! Served with kimchi.
IMG_1703010823.659511.jpg

D- Airfried chicken thighs, coleslaw (made with red&white cabbage plus chopped gherkin in h/m mayo). Avocado and a cherry tom.
Finished with KC mincemeat traybake crumble. Very nice but I think I prefer the DGF Crimbo Crumble.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the instant mash I think it is a mix of factors. Possibly I am able to metabolise a small amount efficiently now. Also one can weigh out a set amount of flakes/powder rather than having say one potato. Thirdly, the butter must help - I would never normally put butter in mashed potatoes. I think like most things the effect is highly individual. Thanks for the good wishes for the gels.

Thanks for the info. I might pluck up courage to try one of these days.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: ff greek and 2 small sqs milk chocolate hubby had left within sight! Couldn't resist as still in stressful, sad situation. At least it was only 2.

L: a Mexican samosa and a few roasted pepper strip. Omg, not huge but not just a spike up and down quck but a big bump up to 12 for over 3 hours.

Baked some lc cherry muffins for the freezer for Xmas

D: mince, flavoured with paprika, served on cabbage. Small coffee ice cream

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper plus a wedge of Teifi.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Salmon fillets baked en papillote with mushrooms, spinach, black olives, lemon zest, sprigs of thyme, sage leaves and butter.
Steamed carrot batons and French beans smothered with butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, lettuce, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, Kalamata olives, mint and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 good news that the oily fish trial was a success.
Balancing carbs, eating enough cals and ingesting vits/mins is more work than pleasure. I’ve always struggled to make cooked lc food fit both my tastes and needs. Didn't try for nearly 6 winters, still not convinced it ever will. I've never eaten so few veggies which just doesn’t feel right hence why I ate fish salad so much.
Tea then assaulted the peanut butter tub
CWC, s/f syrup and Adonis 3C bar
KC MS roll, cheddar cheese and cold lamb shoulder with water
Ox cheek casserole/stew/one pot wonder: OC, Baxters French onion soup, celery, chopped toms, mushrooms, Italian herbs, zero salt stock cube, about 30 gms baby tinned potatoes found their way into my bowl, Sainsburys leeks, peas, cabbage and cavolo nero mix, vits and water. The OPW - minus pots - is pretty much my wheelhouse: taste, bowl, spoon - job done. Big bag of salad leaves could work

OCheek.jpg

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-Black coffee then about 50g h/m yoghurt.
L- I’m trying to eat more oily fish but finding it hard. I saw this recipe for sardine fish cakes on a carnivore group so thought I’d try it. A definite keeper and the house didn’t stink afterwards either. 1 tin sardines mashed with an egg and quite a lot of grated cheese ( maybe 2 cups). Put dollops into a frying pan and hey presto! Served with kimchi. View attachment 65025
D- Airfried chicken thighs, coleslaw (made with red&white cabbage plus chopped gherkin in h/m mayo). Avocado and a cherry tom.
Finished with KC mincemeat traybake crumble. Very nice but I think I prefer the DGF Crimbo Crumble.
I agree 're crumble prefer the DGF one.
're fish I find it difficult to persuade Other half to eat oily fish he just doesn't like it but has cognitive, anxiety and tremor issues that I'm supporting him with including by looking at improving his diet. so about 6 months ago I started him on Norwegian wild fish oils - four teaspoons daily in his morning kefir plus a dose of sub lingual B 12 and really have noticed a huge improvement. I'm sure it's best to eat it at source but if not lemon flavoured wild fish oils come recommended from me. I take a teaspoon too in my kefir it has a lemon oil in it so just makes kefir taste lemony.
Breakfast kefir ( with fish oils) two boiled eggs
Lunchtime a spoon of berries and yoghurt
Dinner organic pork mince in passata and a few bits of LC pasta with glass of red wine followed by DGF crimbo
Edit auto correct had changed Passata to passage sounded very odd so edited to change it back!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: chicken with pork and apple stuffing (Waitrose 3.2g carbs per portion) broccoli and cauliflower.

@DJC3 and @shelley262 I’m looking forward to my DGF crimbo crumbles too, safely stored away in the freezer for now!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw this recipe for sardine fish cakes on a carnivore group so thought I’d try it. A definite keeper and the house didn’t stink afterwards either. 1 tin sardines mashed with an egg and quite a lot of grated cheese ( maybe 2 cups). Put dollops into a frying pan and hey presto! Served with kimchi.
I tried to copy this to my CMT account to not forget, but the recipe was so simple that CMT didn't recognise it as a recipe! :hilarious:
CMT also wanted to add @Rachox chilli with cauliflower rice as the picture to go with it! :facepalm:
Nothing that couldn't be resolved with a bit of copy and pasting thought. :)

Today should have been the other half of my stuffed bell pepper with something, no idea what, likely a slice of lc bread or such.
I posted on facebook about missing my dad and my dog, who died 9 and 4 years ago today. This morning I found it hard to choose between using my dads mug and the one I associate with my dog, and felt rather smug when I decided to use both! I drink more than one mug of coffee anyway, and at 46 years old I'm perfectly allowed to decadently dirty two mugs in one day if I want to!

1703017027411.png

Two of my friends commented they miss my father's onion soup. It's about the easiest soup in the world to make and I didn't really feel like eating the bell pepper anyway.
So I had a lovely bowl of (heart)warming soup instead, with lots of melted cheese. :joyful:

1703017282976.png

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast just had a small slice of pork loin left over from yesterday's dinner.

Mug of frothed creamy cocoa at mid day

A cooked 90% pork chipolata from the fridge.

Dinner was three chicken thighs coated with almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, onion and garlic salt, red pepper flakes and powdered mustard. Made a sort of bubble and squeak from yesterday's leftover swede, celeriac and white cabbage.

Also made a sort of ganache with cream, cocoa and a little bit of sweetener.

Today's carbs are hovering around 12g.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree 're crumble prefer the DGF one.
're fish I find it difficult to persuade Other half to eat oily fish he just doesn't like it but has cognitive, anxiety and tremor issues that I'm supporting him with including by looking at improving his diet. so about 6 months ago I started him on Norwegian wild fish oils - four teaspoons daily in his morning kefir plus a dose of sub lingual B 12 and really have noticed a huge improvement. I'm sure it's best to eat it at source but if not lemon flavoured wild fish oils come recommended from me. I take a teaspoon too in my kefir it has a lemon oil in it so just makes kefir taste lemony.
Breakfast kefir ( with fish oils) two boiled eggs
Lunchtime a spoon of berries and yoghurt
Dinner organic pork mince in passata and a few bits of LC pasta with glass of red wine followed by DGF crimbo
Edit auto correct had changed Passata to passage sounded very odd so edited to change it back!

Wow! It’s incredible that the fish oils have had a noticeable effect on your OH in just 6 months. Could you share a link to the brand you use please?
I was really interested in the dementia talk in this years PHC conference ( I’m still catching up on YouTube). It’s what has made me try a bit harder to include more oily fish.