What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Thanks for all the hugs. Seems my cold/flu is getting a bit better. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A wiener sausage. Half a DD keto roll with butter.

Lunch: Some homemade soup with calf tail, merguez, green onion, celery, tomato, Brussels sprouts, Hokkaido pumpkin, carrots, and a small amount of white beans.

Snack: Four squares of 85% chocolate.

Early dinner: about 60g of Explore Cuisine mung bean-edamame fettuccine with pesto Genovese and butter-seared scallops. Greek yoghurt with 40g of wild blueberries (smaller and with 6g per 100g lower carb than regular blueberries).

Edited to add the chocolate, which I accidentally left out.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've withheld 2 meds and feeling more myself. Not to be advised but I couldnt cope with the problems it looks like they were causing. Maybe tomorrow will prove me wrong but I had to do something. Very hugely congested too so virus still hanging around. So skipped cheese today.
IBS very common with diabetics I've found out.
Not gluten free but may consider it if things don't improve.
Very soon I'll be drinking liquids after op so I'll see what is really going on.

Hi @ickihun,

Interesting. I actually didn't know that diabetics are more likely to suffer from IBS. When going low carb and making my own bread, I incidentally also went gluten-free. It definitely has helped with inflamation. My psioriasis is almost gone.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

B: 1/2 a toasted Lidl protein roll with almond butter

Spent day in London watching a matinee, the start of my birthday celebrations (not til Easter Monday, but good to start practicing) lunch and dinner and a few drinks out

L: olives, tuna salad, glass of Pinot Grigio

2G&Ts with ‘naturally light’ Fever Tree tonic. Turns out this is not that light in carbs: 6g each bottle. When will I learn to check first??

D: steak with rocket and parmesan salad and extra olive oil. 2 glasses malbec

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

B: 1/2 a toasted Lidl protein roll with almond butter

Spent day in London watching a matinee, the start of my birthday celebrations (not til Easter Monday, but good to start practicing) lunch and dinner and a few drinks out

L: olives, tuna salad, glass of Pinot Grigio

2G&Ts with ‘naturally light’ Fever Tree tonic. Turns out this is not that light in carbs: 6g each bottle. When will I learn to check first??

D: steak with rocket and parmesan salad and extra olive oil. 2 glasses malbec
You know how to celebrate - I moved on to soda water with gin as you can taste the gin better and no danger of the carb risk when you ask for slimline and get regular! I also find tonic too sweet now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know how to celebrate - I moved on to soda water with gin as you can taste the gin better and no danger of the carb risk when you ask for slimline and get regular! I also find tonic too sweet now.

Another great tip, thanks Shelley, wouldn’t have thought of soda water.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (carefully measured 2 tsp) washed down with a white coffee (still using almond milk to save calories and carbs)
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and sugar free maple syrup, followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartley’s 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner: meal at local pub, chicken skewers, stir fried veg. and a side salad. 3 x squares of Green and Blacks ginger dark chocolate when I got home.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- coffee w/cream x2, 2 egg cheese mushroom ham omelette, slice of toasted LC bread
L- LC roll with ham, piece of LC avocado lime cheesecake
D- pork chops w/ mustard sauce, broccoli, garlic parm smashed potatoes for hubby, 2 glasses red wine

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.6 FBG 6.7 so getting better. Back to swimming with No 1 grandson.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. The cheesy corned beef thingy.
D. Yay - got out for a change. A new Argentinian Steakhouse has opened walking distance from home. It's excellent. Started with grilled aubergine with tomatoes and mozzarella with pesto. Followed with rib eye with mushroom sauce and garlicky wilted spinach and salad. A couple of wee sauvion blanc and a liqueur coffee. A nice change after all my recent stress.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun,

Interesting. I actually didn't know that diabetics are more likely to suffer from IBS. When going low carb and making my own bread, I incidentally also went gluten-free. It definitely has helped with inflamation. My psioriasis is almost gone.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon.
Read yesterday that sitagliptin/gliptins being researched for IBD and similiar causation or making it worse too.
Fibromyalgia sufferers prone to IBS also.
More is coming out everyday.

I don't like Gluten free products but if I have to, I have too. :(
I'll stick with low carb and Gluten content awareness for now.
This thread and similiar are great at keeping me right!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
May be to do with inflammation? Think a lot of these illnesses can be grouped together. I’ve found low car bing has reduced my inflammation but I’m sure we’re all different re what works and what causes inflammation cheese and cream thankfully seem fine for me. Good luck and take care....
All blood tests always come back with low inflammation for me. Thankfully.
My underactive thyroid helps with my cholesterol maybe with less inflammation too. Too low carb gives me skin pain sensitivity and kicks off palpatations, maybe from levothyroxine.
I'm only one in family with no arthritis but only diabetic and thyroid problem.
I'd prefer diabetes as aunty had severe rheumatoid arthritis and guinpig meds caused cancer. Poor woman.
Cholesterol creeping up as not much walking for me. :(
Hence diet and insulin only options lately.
Both I can control, hense I'm here again. Ha ha
Will stick to just food info... here on in thou as some don't like too much chat.
Really enjoying your posts @shelley262.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.9 FBG 7.3 so my trip to the steakhouse didn't do much damage.
B. Slice of Bfree seeded with the tasty chicken pate from Sainsbury's. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Son wanted shopping so picked up my simple snack of M&S chargrilled squid with cracked pepper.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
D. Slow cooked duck leg with wilted spinach and celeriac chips. Might have a scoop of Halo Top with 6 raspberries.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9am coffeesubstitute and cream
2pm 2x black farmers sausages and 2 GF crackers BURDENED with DOLLOPS of home made liver pate
3pm the smallest hot chocolate that Costa do. Think they call it a babyccino or something equally silly.
7pm will be baked salmon with smoked chipotle seasoning

Too many carbs, but the 2 carefully timed dog walks and blitzing the kitchen have kept bg nice and steady.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - keto porridge - 50g mixed frozen fruit, 10g / tablespoon each of coconut flakes, almond flakes, desiccated coconut, ground almonds, ground flax seed, ground chia. With 40g coconut oil added to make it high keto.

Lunch - 150g mixed salad veg, 30g cheese, 30g macadamia nuts, 20g olives, 5g vinegar, 5g olive oil, 25g butter. Plus ‘bread’ made from 5g each of coconut flour, ground almonds and flaxseed, mixed with 5g olive oil, spread flat and microwaved until it doesn’t fall apart - delicious when grilled with the butter and cheese!

Tea - if I’m hungry then I’m going for left over meats with salad leaves, another bit of ‘bread’, lots of butter and some olive oil to dress the leaves.

Been trying these meals for almost a fortnight, and I finally seem to have found something that seems to be working and keeping the energy crashes / reactive hypos at bay (mostly). My head is much clearer, and I’m liking the variety each day. I so hope this will keep going, I’ve had so many tries and falls over the years. The energy crashes are what destroy me, I know when they are getting close because the cravings increase to an uncontrollable level, but my awareness for them is not great in the midst of busy-ness or some non-food distraction. I’m hoping that deepening the ketosis, more fat, keep a lid on protein and carbs, that the energy crashes will reduce even more.

It is fascinating reading the variety of ways of eating in this thread. So many different solutions to blood sugar problems.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Have been coughing a lot today, so my throat is really tender. Not really hungry, but know I have to eat.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Lunch: Yesterday's homemade soup. A DD keto roll with chicken liver pate. One glass of dry red wine.

Dinner: Butter-seared white asparagus with sauce Bearnaise, two scrambled eggs, one zucchini-potato fiber fritter. Greek yoghurt with erythritol and wild blueberries. Two more squares of 85% chocolate. One cup of decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus ‘bread’ made from 5g each of coconut flour, ground almonds and flaxseed, mixed with 5g olive oil, spread flat and microwaved until it doesn’t fall apart - delicious when grilled with the butter and cheese!

This ‘bread’ looks good, think I’ll try it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

As you said, it’s good to see how other people are tackling things and get some tips.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9am coffeesubstitute and cream
2pm 2x black farmers sausages and 2 GF crackers BURDENED with DOLLOPS of home made liver pate
3pm the smallest hot chocolate that Costa do. Think they call it a babyccino or something equally silly.
7pm will be baked salmon with smoked chipotle seasoning

Too many carbs, but the 2 carefully timed dog walks and blitzing the kitchen have kept bg nice and steady.
Mmmm dollops of home made liver pate...mmmm. Makes crackers or bread almost unnecessary .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Another 23/1 fasting day. Not planned, just turned out that way.

Dinner was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 2 rashers bacon and a Birds Eye burger, followed by my lazy mousse. This time tried it with 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons and 60ml extra thick double cream. Much better balance and the warmth of the freshly melted chocolate against the cold cream is delicious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh! @Goonergal the mousse sounds heavenly. Going to get some of the extra thick cream tomorrow and try it.

My day on a plate:

Brunch: Out at Chiquitos, a sausage & bacon omlette. Seemed the most carb fiendly but couldn’t find the nutrition on line. No bg spike after though so must have been ok.

Dinner: Roast beef, garlic buttery cabbage, broccoli, and a Banting courgette gratin which was so delicious I didn’t miss roast spuds at all.
Choc chia pud afterwatds.