What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today:

Breakfast: Low carb chipolatas, bacon, eggs, spoon of baked beans - BS @ 2 hours PP down by 1.2 from waking!

Lunch: None

Dinner: Lidl protein roll, Marks & Sparks houmous, large green salad

Snack: Either 3-4 dates OR a bag of Sun Bites popcorn - must remember NOT to have both.

I've got a health welfare meeting at work tomorrow - should be interesting as my GP has just sent them a report on my health (which they paid for) telling them it was their fault / negligence that I can't work. I'm feeling very nervous about it and am doing my best to avoid comfort eating. :rolleyes:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with Greek yoghurt

45 minutes swimming

L. Melted Camambert with 1/2 slice ham

D. Will be chicken leg with carrots, onions, sugar snaps and spinach. 6 strawberries with yoghurt
Snack pomegranate pot

@Chook , stay strong. I will be thinking of you. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Reactions: geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday

Brunch - bacon and egg
Dinner - chicken baked in a cheese and bacon sauce with mushrooms, red pepper, leeks and peas, served with cauliflower and green beans on the side, yoghurt and berries for pud.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Boiled Egg , Slice of Parma Ham and 3 Slices of Salami (well it had arrived from Italy and was really tasty)
L. Slice Tesco's Fire Smoked Turkey , Slice Ayrshire Ham , salad and slice Lerdhammer Light. Black Tea & 2 Lotus Coffee Biscuits
D. M&S Pork Chop with Apple Butter and salad
Yesterday's leftover berries and a dollop of cream

(@Chook will be thinking of you as I've been there done it and still have the T Shirt. ( I was seriously injured in an accident on Company Business and went through a year of torture trying not to be dismissed on the grounds of no longer being capable of doing my job. This was after 37 years service. I fought them and won but I was lucky as I worked as a pensions analyst so I knew the rules a lot better than anyone I was against. Leaves a bad taste though. Be prepared and don't rush into any answers and you always have the option to terminate the meeting if it gets too much. Do you have someone with you?)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: None
L: Leftover fish pie (celeriac topped)
D: Chicken and chick pea curry
S: some nuts and a square of Lidl 95% choc

BG running a bit higher today

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(@Chook will be thinking of you as I've been there done it and still have the T Shirt. ( I was seriously injured in an accident on Company Business and went through a year of torture trying not to be dismissed on the grounds of no longer being capable of doing my job. This was after 37 years service. I fought them and won but I was lucky as I worked as a pensions analyst so I knew the rules a lot better than anyone I was against. Leaves a bad taste though. Be prepared and don't rush into any answers and you always have the option to terminate the meeting if it gets too much. Do you have someone with you?)

Nope - no one going with me because its not a disciplinary matter - just yet another 'friendly chat' to find out if there's any way they can help me return to work (how can it be friendly when it's recorded on video?) There is no chance at all of me returning to work doing the job I used to do and we all know that, I think they are just ticking boxes now in case I take them to a tribunal or sue them. TBH there are times like right now when I just wish they'd get on with it and get rid of me but they are very aware that they were at fault and they know I have copies of my witnesses' statements.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
B: Bulletproof coffee

L: braised beef, salad

D: roasted chicken thighs with lemon and garlic, roasted fennel and courgette, small portion of cheese & barley risotto.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope - no one going with me because its not a disciplinary matter - just yet another 'friendly chat' to find out if there's any way they can help me return to work (how can it be friendly when it's recorded on video?) There is no chance at all of me returning to work doing the job I used to do and we all know that, I think they are just ticking boxes now in case I take them to a tribunal or sue them. TBH there are times like right now when I just wish they'd get on with it and get rid of me but they are very aware that they were at fault and they know I have copies of my witnesses' statements.
Mine wasn't disciplinary either. Same boat as you. At first they were just "reviews" to see how I was doing and the likelihood of returning to some kind of work but when it became clear I was never going to be able to work again that was when I twigged we were heading towards dismissal on capability grounds (which I knew they could do but I was not about to let them). As a long service employee I was going to be an expensive redundancy or early retirement so the capability route was the cheap option for them. I will never forget in the throes of many medicals and assessments being told by the OH doctor that she couldn't recommend retirement as I would be fit to do a job that didn't exist! That was the point I had enough and told them what was going to happen and why - and it did but it was ghastly getting to that stage. Make sure you ask for a copy of the DVD- and best of luck.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine wasn't disciplinary either. Same boat as you. At first they were just "reviews" to see how I was doing and the likelihood of returning to some kind of work but when it became clear I was never going to be able to work again that was when I twigged we were heading towards dismissal on capability grounds (which I knew they could do but I was not about to let them). As a long service employee I was going to be an expensive redundancy or early retirement so the capability route was the cheap option for them. I will never forget in the throes of many medicals and assessments being told by the OH doctor that she couldn't recommend retirement as I would be fit to do a job that didn't exist! That was the point I had enough and told them what was going to happen and why - and it did but it was ghastly getting to that stage. Make sure you ask for a copy of the DVD- and best of luck.
And you are correct they do have a process to follow if they don't want to find themselves open to a claim for discrimination on disability grounds.

Dan1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of junk at my little girls 4th birthday party
Don't fill that great now

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
morning meal tuna salad
coffee, grapes and almonds at lunch time
evening meal two beef burgers, a small amount of fried onion and mushrooms with 500mg of Metformin.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And you are correct they do have a process to follow if they don't want to find themselves open to a claim for discrimination on disability grounds.
After the meeting today I'm sure that it is just a process - very boring. Nothing new came out of it except would I consider some sort of telephone diagnosis thing - I said I've got no problem with that although I wonder just how valuable it will be for someone to do a diagnosis over the phone when my GP has already given his opinion. They talked about moving me in to a role that I could cope with physically - then told me that no such vacancy currently exists. Then, finally, we - or rather, they - started going back over the accident that caused all this in the first place. I suggested they looked at the tape of the first meeting and read my statement and the minutes of the first Welfare Meeting. Basically I had a two hour round trip for a 30 min meeting.

I did, however, prove a point to myself - stress really drives up my BS! Fasting was 6.1, two hours after breakfast was 6.2. Then (with nothing to eat since breakfast) at 12.45, just as I was leaving to catch the bus to the welfare meeting, I started feeling very odd and sleepy - tested again and it had shot up to 10.1 so, assuming it was wrong, I tested again - 9.8!!!! I haven't had BS that high in more than two years. I drank lots of water which brought it down a bit and then after the meeting I tested again and it was back down to 5.7 and is now 5.2.

So, meals today:

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs and Lidl protein roll buttered soldiers
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Chicken and vegetable curry and cauliflower rice
Supper: Not sure yet - probably a bit of Comte cheese and/or a small bag of Sunbites Popcorn

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After the meeting today I'm sure that it is just a process - very boring. Nothing new came out of it except would I consider some sort of telephone diagnosis thing - I said I've got no problem with that although I wonder just how valuable it will be for someone to do a diagnosis over the phone when my GP has already given his opinion. They talked about moving me in to a role that I could cope with physically - then told me that no such vacancy currently exists. Then, finally, we - or rather, they - started going back over the accident that caused all this in the first place. I suggested they looked at the tape of the first meeting and read my statement and the minutes of the first Welfare Meeting. Basically I had a two hour round trip for a 30 min meeting.

I did, however, prove a point to myself - stress really drives up my BS! Fasting was 6.1, two hours after breakfast was 6.2. Then (with nothing to eat since breakfast) at 12.45, just as I was leaving to catch the bus to the welfare meeting, I started feeling very odd and sleepy - tested again and it had shot up to 10.1 so, assuming it was wrong, I tested again - 9.8!!!! I haven't had BS that high in more than two years. I drank lots of water which brought it down a bit and then after the meeting I tested again and it was back down to 5.7 and is now 5.2.

So, meals today:

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs and Lidl protein roll buttered soldiers
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Chicken and vegetable curry and cauliflower rice
Supper: Not sure yet - probably a bit of Comte cheese and/or a small bag of Sunbites Popcorn
I found these meetings really distressing and stressful. They have to look at:-
1) Can they make reasonable adaptations that allows you to return to you original job. If "no"
2) Is there another suitable job that fits your skills and qualifications.
From there unless there is something that provides for disability or early retirement (as there was in my case) then they can dismiss you on the grounds of no longer being capable of carrying out your job. Harsh and they get away with it in a lot of cases. In my case there was no way I could return to my original job. Alternative jobs were also ruled out and that's when I was told I could not get disability/early retirement because I could work part time from home even although no such job existed! After a short battle I got a full "pension" as if I was at retirement age which cost them as I was only 54 then. It was an Industrial Accident so it was really sickening I had to fight them.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with yoghurt

L. 1/2 slice of ham and melted Camambert

40minutes swimming

D. Trout with asparagus. 7 strawberries with Greek yoghurt.

Reactions: Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: 2 egg, 3 bacon rashers and 6 chips stolen from Mr B
D: since he is out this evening, I am freed from producing a manly meaty meal ;) and went for smoked cheese and spinach soup, which is delicious, though I say so myself! :D It is also very, very green.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found these meetings really distressing and stressful. They have to look at:-
1) Can they make reasonable adaptations that allows you to return to you original job. If "no"
2) Is there another suitable job that fits your skills and qualifications.
From there unless there is something that provides for disability or early retirement (as there was in my case) then they can dismiss you on the grounds of no longer being capable of carrying out your job. Harsh and they get away with it in a lot of cases. In my case there was no way I could return to my original job. Alternative jobs were also ruled out and that's when I was told I could not get disability/early retirement because I could work part time from home even although no such job existed! After a short battle I got a full "pension" as if I was at retirement age which cost them as I was only 54 then. It was an Industrial Accident so it was really sickening I had to fight them.

Well, the answers to both 1 and 2 are of your post are 'no' for me. There is no way I can return to my original job as I have to be able to run (a lot), move quickly when things are thrown at me (a lot) and climb six flights of stairs several times each shift as I am responsible for doing meds on all units - all of which is impossible with a knee brace and walking stick - so I suppose all I can do now is wait. The HR woman was talking about our next meeting being in eight weeks so she obviously knows I won't be returning to work. :rolleyes: Weirdly I didn't feel particularly stressed before or during the meeting (just left with feeling quite uneasy afterwards) but something in me obviously was feeling stressed. I wonder why the body would automatically pump up the BS - maybe its similar to the fight or flight adrenaline rush thing. Anyway BS back down to 5.3 two hours after my dinner.
Thanks for your words of wisdom on this - they have been very much appreciated. :)

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Brunneria :)

Is your green soup from a recipe? If so could you point me in the right direction for it. I think I'm going to have to start making myself pots of soup for lunch.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. 30g M&S Cornish Cove Cheddar
L. 5 M&S chargrilled calamari, remains of Tesco tuna crunch, 6 M&S Honduran king prawns and salad with 3 walnuts.
Snack - Slice red Leicester cheese wrapped in slice of Tesco Fire smoked Turkey.
D. Chicken breast in red wine and mushrooms and a mountain of mixed green vegetables
(Grandson No 2 is with me for a while on Tuesdays so early food is always cold - especially when No 2 decided to be the Devil Child today )
@Chook - if you want to bounce anything off me feel free to pm me. I had to learn quick and I have a very good memory!