What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot my BGs yesterday but still bug fighting. Anyway bed was 7.4 FBG was 6.3 and weirdly bed last night was 6.3 FBG was also 6.3 - been fairly stable.
What am I doing here right now? Well thought I might as well. As many of you know I've had a pretty dreadful year. 6 family deaths , including a brother and a sister and my one surviving brother diagnosed with cancer (thankfully treatable). But on the plus side my brother is recovering well, my SIL and her husband were over from Australia in what had to have been one of our best summers in a long time, the other family members have returned from Australia and Manchester resulting in the family Christmas lunch out on the 23 December and finally after 10 months that lawyer has settled part of my brother's estate for the girls but charged a small fortune. I'm pretty much a glass half full type of person and there have been positives this year.
This morning though, Hubby kindly woke me at 3.50am to ask "was that the phone?" No it wasn't! It was someone's car alarm about a street away. I struggled to get back to sleep again. No 1 is recovering from his bug but now his Mum & Dad have gone down with it. So we are spending Christmas in glorious isolation.
Then we got up to no heating and no hot water. Thankfully it was just low pressure in the system which was easily rectified but I feel a new boiler coming our way soon. In the midst of this
B. Slice of Morrisons high protein wholemeal with pate pate. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Some of the M&S fishy stuff I got yesterday. Slice of their layered terrine, avocado , salmon and prawn starter, another couple of prawns and lettuce.
D. Later we'll have Turkey with GF chipolato and GF stuffing, home made sugar free cranberry sauce, roasted veg (including sprouts) and gravy. I also have LC creme brulee made which I'll have with berries and brandy creme. Add in a campari and soda (no gin), prosecco and one or two LC Baileys and I'll be happy to reflect on my year.
Before you think it's all bad news it's not! Final payment on our mortgage has been made and my nephew's wife has given birth to a little girl - Lydia Joy - After this year a little Joy was most welcome.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy festive season. Thank you for all the support and looking forward to solving the problem of LC pastry next year. xxx

Maglil - Every best wish to you for today and moving into more cheerful times in 2019. It really has been quite a year for you, and you always seem to be there for those who need you when they need you, so nice to see you just get a bit of time and space for one (before terms starts agin!).

When I read last night of your new great niece, it reminded me of the day my father died. On that day, his best friend's daughter delivered their first ever grandchild, and it sort of struck me as one out-one in. Not very intellectual, or spiritual, but for me it was such a clear, and promising, reminder of the circle of life. New life, new hope and new adventures for Lydian and her family.

I'm sitting here, one lovely Manzanilla sherry in, with my OH in the kitchen, making the magic happen. My role was prepping the veg, so I really do get off lightly at times like this.

I was fortunaate enough to be able to pay off my mortgage many moons ago, and it was indeed a momentous feeling, and another of life's rites of passage.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot my BGs yesterday but still bug fighting. Anyway bed was 7.4 FBG was 6.3 and weirdly bed last night was 6.3 FBG was also 6.3 - been fairly stable.
What am I doing here right now? Well thought I might as well. As many of you know I've had a pretty dreadful year. 6 family deaths , including a brother and a sister and my one surviving brother diagnosed with cancer (thankfully treatable). But on the plus side my brother is recovering well, my SIL and her husband were over from Australia in what had to have been one of our best summers in a long time, the other family members have returned from Australia and Manchester resulting in the family Christmas lunch out on the 23 December and finally after 10 months that lawyer has settled part of my brother's estate for the girls but charged a small fortune. I'm pretty much a glass half full type of person and there have been positives this year.
This morning though, Hubby kindly woke me at 3.50am to ask "was that the phone?" No it wasn't! It was someone's car alarm about a street away. I struggled to get back to sleep again. No 1 is recovering from his bug but now his Mum & Dad have gone down with it. So we are spending Christmas in glorious isolation.
Then we got up to no heating and no hot water. Thankfully it was just low pressure in the system which was easily rectified but I feel a new boiler coming our way soon. In the midst of this
B. Slice of Morrisons high protein wholemeal with pate pate. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Some of the M&S fishy stuff I got yesterday. Slice of their layered terrine, avocado , salmon and prawn starter, another couple of prawns and lettuce.
D. Later we'll have Turkey with GF chipolato and GF stuffing, home made sugar free cranberry sauce, roasted veg (including sprouts) and gravy. I also have LC creme brulee made which I'll have with berries and brandy creme. Add in a campari and soda (no gin), prosecco and one or two LC Baileys and I'll be happy to reflect on my year.
Before you think it's all bad news it's not! Final payment on our mortgage has been made and my nephew's wife has given birth to a little girl - Lydia Joy - After this year a little Joy was most welcome.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy festive season. Thank you for all the support and looking forward to solving the problem of LC pastry next year. xxx
Some year that @maglil55 but the tone of your posts is always upbeat. Glass must be well above half full if you really believe you can solve LC pastry. Always a balance between having ambition and bowing to reality:angelic:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast and Dockey : Tea - Dilmah English Breakfast 1st, then Dilmah Orange Pekoe, then decent dog walk, more tea. then goodish weights - came into lounge to find more really awful film choices but endorphins more or less covered that
Lunch around 2.45 : Goose (loved the crisp skin); roast sprouts ; piglets in hand towels (low carb chipolatas); braised red cabbage with usual spices; roast swede; gravy; (oddly, despite having over 100 bottles of wine in the house and plenty of spirits, not a day for that) Long way from full but plenty of food.
Afternoon/Evening: Tea - Dilmah t-series-nuwara-eliya-pekoe gourmet; then will be exercise bike and water
I am no longer ever going to be properly active enough to be able to eat big Christmas meals and actually never really enjoyed the food - just the family gathering. 2 sons and 2 and a bit grandchildren here tomorrow, so more to my taste. (I really dislike the New Year's Eve/ Day hype). Hope y'all had good days and feel well nourished.

Last edited:

Kingmidas

So - today's Christmas fayre!

Breakfast: wholemeal toast and marmite, tea

Lunch:
Starter - baked camembert with celery to dip
Main - roast chicken (not a lover of Turkey at all) pigs in blankets, broccoli, peas, carrots plus *a* potato and *a* Yorkshire pud! Quite enjoyed it.
No pudding - far too full!

Dinner: still full ... but had a small bowl of mexicana cheese and pecans (my favourite snack, whatever the day!)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - chaps and mum watching a marvel film - not my cup of tea so just putting my feet up with a glass of champers in hand and contemplating loading dishwasher yet again!
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Xmas lunch turkey high percentage pork stuffing, roast veg including sprouts, celeriac mash,braised celery and a few carb treats - one small roast potatoe and gravy
Mid pm lc lemon and lime mousse
This evening some nibbles and champers - slice of ham and turkey and small spoon of coleslaw and sliver of hotel choc Yule log
Have restocked my book supplies netted 9 books - my idea of a wonderful Christmas and a good pile to make my way through, lots of hotel Chocolat goodies and loccitanne goodies so feel very spoiled!
Youngest sons partner and his dog Cooper arriving tomorrow morning so will be a bit more exercise. Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas Day evening.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: turkey, 2 x pigs in blankets, a tiny piece of stuffing, one small roast potato, veggies (cauliflower, brocolli, carrots and a token sprout :hungover:), a drizzle of gravy and a smidge of cranberry. Followed by one mini mince pie with extra thick cream.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: cold cuts, cheese, salad and pork scratchings followed by LC trifle and a piece of LC chocolate cake with cream, while everyone tucked into my son’s chocolate birthday cake.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bacon eggs mushrooms tomato for breakfast , for lunch nothing , for Christmas meal at son's we had two roast potatoes lots of meat with lots of fat on it :) brussels sprouts broccoli few carrots one yorkshire pud a pig in a blanket and gravy, then for dessert we had a small portion of homemade sponge cake and custard, then for supper we had mixed berries with double cream, went for an hours walk after that .
Haven't checked blood sugar too scared to , but back on the low carb high fat tomorrow and then will start monitoring again .#
I don't feel guilty for my indulgence today , I've had the most wonderful Christmas in years with both my boys at the table my gorgeous six year old grandson and hubby and daughter in law, it really was the most wonderful day .

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Breakfast - a chunk of 70% dark chocolate my darling husband ventured to hotel chocolat for as he knows I love chocolates for Xmas and didn’t want to let this year be any different

Lunch - well where to begin. My wonderful parents cooked for 14 of us and wow was it incredible. I had turkey, lamb, beef, gammon, 2 pigs in blankets, 1 large roast potato, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts with bacon, a Yorkshire pudding and gravy.
The potato and Yorkie gave me a nice spike to 8.8 but I’m not gonna lie, the first full family Xmas with all siblings present and the perfect day made it totally worth it and I passed on any pudding so that I didn’t make it worse. Was back down to 5.5 after 3 hrs so not a total disaster

No dinner as was making the drive to Gatwick - which on a full Xmas dinner stomach really felt effort but now excited for my holiday to begin

Sounds like everyone else has had wonderful days - love the Xmas spirit filling the forum :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had Christmas dinner cooked for us. Perfect! Roast rib of beef, turkey, 1pig in blanket, small piece of sausage meat stuffing, carrots, sprouts with bacon and chestnut, small piece of parsnip, mashed swede, gravy, sugar free tonic water.

Evening: Coffee, cheeses, ham, turkey, nuts, 2 large glasses rum with diet pepsi.

I will probably fast a bit tomorrow!

Christmas best wishes to you all.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 wow that is a knock-down-drag-out year you have had. Saying I am sorry for your losses doesn’t begin to express it. I’ve only just met you, but I agree, your posts are always upbeat. So glad you have a little Joy now, very exciting and comforting
Good Christmases abound here! Love everybody’s tales, and my goodness you people drink like fish! Lolol. No offense; I know it is quite normal, but I lost my tolerance for alcohol a good 20 years ago. A glass of wine would put me under the table!
Bfast 1/2 avocado and looked longingly at the other half, 1/2 tin no salt added sardines (cats got other half for their lunch; they were pleased!), coffee/soy/cream
Made cream/eggs quiche custard, put some grated swiss cheese in a small pyrex custard cup with about 1/2 cup custard over it, and the rest in a crust with grated cheddar. Took to lunch/presents at son’s, with crackers and a brick of Wallace and Grommit’s favorite cheese and a large veggie tray. And mixed fancy nuts no peanuts!
They’d made ham+prosciutto+cheese biscuits, ham+cheese ones, and cheese-only ones for me but I had my quiche.
So L: celery, sugar snap peas (lots), that quiche, and way too many nuts. Waiting for the bar of Lindt 78% chocolate I knew was going to show up. It finally did, and I savored a square and gave one to Mom. Felt no need for more!!!
A tiny sip of some really good virgin eggnog.
Supper not much hungry but: leftover veggie tray broc/cauli steamed in olive oil with powdered roasted garlic, YUM!, a few spoons skyr.
Then I had the munchies! I had to safely store that chocolate bar, and somehow a square levitated in bits into my mouth!
Snack a little more skyr and now off to bed! Revel on!!!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Glad everyone enjoyed their Xmas celebrations. And the meals definitely sound beyond delicious.

@maglil55 -- You really had a rough year. Wishing you all the best for what's ahead.
@zauberflote -- tbh, I am so happy that low-sugar alcohol is allowed on low-carb. I definitely drink more now than before diagnosis.
@Emma_369 -- Enjoy Vegas. Been there 3 times and it's definitely worth a visit. Lots of things to do and even if it's only looking at all the neat hotels. In my mind, it's definitely decadence incorporated.

Playing catch-up again on meals:

Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Bouillabaisse with fish and tomato-garlic-mayonnaise.

Dinner: Half a low-carb flatbread with loads of butter. A Wiener sausage. A glass of red wine.

Tuesday (X-mas day) ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three eggs scrambled with fried okra and cheddar cheese. One small avocado. Half a low-carb flatbread with butter. Also made @DJC3 's coconut bars -- What a mess, I was close to giving up, but didn't want to waste the ingredients -- definitely didn't come out looking pretty, but are very yummy. Probably spent as much time cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.

Snack: Above mentioned coconut bars.

Dinner: Turkey livers in a pastis-mustard cream sauce. Half a low-carb flatbread with goat cream cheese and smoked sockeye salmon. A Greek yoghurt. A glass of red wine.

Dinner: A Wiener sausage.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
It is official.
We both have flu.
But I can't be too cut up about it, because Mr B is recovering from his, and mine is very mild (presumably thanks to all the good nutrition I snaffle in the form of organ meats and supplements, while avoiding all the nasties like carbs, processed foods and so on. A steady bg level does wonders doesn't it?)

Also, due to the miraculous properties of Night Nurse, we have both been sleeping well. Drugs are ace. Last night I got 14 hrs of sleep! AWESOME!!! The sheets were soaked when I woke, so I reckon I slept (drugged) right through the fever stage. Though it may well return. Mr B had fever for 3-4 days, so it will be incredible if I don't get another round of it.

Anyway, have had to cancel trip to visit family. Plague carriers not welcome, you see. Besides I don't think a 5 hr drive would be a good idea.

So it will be a very restful xmas break!

Food yesterday ended up being 4 Hotel Choc truffles, spread through the day, with a goatsmilk yog around 4pm.
Mr B heroically dealt with a mini pork pie AND a bowl of soup yesterday, and has already had a slice of toast this morning - so definitely returning to the land of the living.

The one huge insurmountable problem is that the mutts have not been walked in 3 days now. Not good. Think they are nearing spontaneous combustion!!!

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ziggy_w we have so many micro breweries here in Richmond that I wish I *could* tolerate more than a few sips per evening. All those amazing flavors, and I’ll never get to them all :-(
@Brunneria oh yuk! So glad you got that long sleep - I need me some of that Night Nurse stuff! Glad Mr B is on the mend. I am hoping my flu shot protects me... chronic asthma and respiratory bugs are not a good combo.
Tomorrow we are going to a one-off screening of Peter Jackson’s WW I documentary, They Shall Not Grow Old. No movie food will go down, despite the ticketing app’s easy-sell attitude. Save that for the little local theaters who bake cookies...and still have regular midnight showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show!