What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch. Hubby had bacon, fried eggs, baked beans and tomatoes. I used the same ingredients to do a crispy cheese coated bacon omelette with half a tomato on the side. Skipped the beans. Was very tasty and filling.
Spent the afternoon at a yoga and relaxation event. Lovely.
Walked into roast chicken, cabbage carrots and broccoli cooked by hubby. He's not as good a cook as boy is, yet , but he tries hard.
2 squares cinnamon cake with cream and a large glass red.
Not bad for a Sunday

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 4.6 FBG 4.9. Apart from running the boys to jujitsu with Mum, I just rested, had a shower and rested again.

B. Just water.
L. Very early, 3 M&S crackers with Philly.
Later, 6 very large cherries
D. Slice each ham, roast beef turkey, mortadella, coronation chicken and ox tongue. Coleslaw, bit cheese, waldorf salad. Couldn't finish it.

Still just drinking water.

Today. Bed 6.9 FBG 6 3

Took youngest to swimming and I managed the walk to the pool and back without breaking into a cold sweat.

B. Water and 3 M&S crackers with Philly.A peach & turmeric Kefir shot.
L. After swimming lessons, 2 slices SLC toast with egg and a 1/2 pack of M&S pancetta crisps.
D. Yay! I managed my campari and soda.
Baked gammon, carrot and swede mash and cauliflower mash. 1 plum. The plum was a M&S plum - very large and very delicious.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised, a picture of the 'zuurkoolspek' as it looked when I took it from the fridge today, after cooking it in water yesterday. Of course I had a piece of it as it is while cutting some slices for the picture. :hungry:

Below a picture on how I used it in my evening meal today: a couple of slices fried together with some cubed bacon, and a slice simply reheated on my plate of zuurkoolstamppot in the microwave. Yum!

275752836_10225238067013069_5234205268936724904_n.jpg

275762520_10225238066213049_358322366918945028_n.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a picture of the 'zuurkoolspek'

Looks fab. We have something similar here which is usually in the ‘Polish’ section of the supermarket. Some are smoked and some not. Going to try one after seeing this.

In other news, whisper it quietly, the M&S food hall in Canary Wharf is very well stocked with ‘the’ crackers! Yes, I may be open to bribes. Decided to buy a box of each to experiment.

Yesterday’s food was an extended OMAD. Course one was 4 of the cheese and onion variety of the crackers with butter. Could definitely taste the cheese (in a cheese and onion crisps kind of way), but don’t think the crackers are tasty enough to warrant eating alone with butter.

The main course was 2 ribeye steaks and 4 Halloumi fries. Yum.

7D50CC6D-0219-48BE-94EA-8FD090E2D0A6.jpeg
840C75E5-ECC2-47CD-B231-45561041C625.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised, a picture of the 'zuurkoolspek' as it looked when I took it from the fridge today, after cooking it in water yesterday. Of course I had a piece of it as it is while cutting some slices for the picture. :hungry:

Below a picture on how I used it in my evening meal today: a couple of slices fried together with some cubed bacon, and a slice simply reheated on my plate of zuurkoolstamppot in the microwave. Yum!

275752836_10225238067013069_5234205268936724904_n.jpg

275762520_10225238066213049_358322366918945028_n.jpg

Even the cauliflower looks appetising in that picture, Antje.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG a bit on the high side today. All the same I had the end slice of my wholemeal loaf toasted with a banana squashed onto it for breakfast.

For 2nd meal, I will have some mushroom fricasee out of the freezer - that'll be one less thing taking up space in there. Not much of a noticeable space left where it was, but it's a start.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Change of plan. Not sure yet what I'll eat today, but it won't be more of my lovely zuurkoolspek.

I found the butter on the kitchen floor this morning, must have forgotten it on the countertop after cooking yesterday. I was very surprised not more of it had been eaten by the cats and dogs and counted myself lucky.
Until I noticed this little white and blue plate sitting innocently and squeaky clean on the countertop...

I guess after eating this much pork belly there simply wasn't any room for butter left in the bellies of my dogs and cats. :bag:

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Change of plan. Not sure yet what I'll eat today, but it won't be more of my lovely zuurkoolspek.

I found the butter on the kitchen floor this morning, must have forgotten it on the countertop after cooking yesterday. I was very surprised not more of it had been eaten by the cats and dogs and counted myself lucky.
Until I noticed this little white and blue plate sitting innocently and squeaky clean on the countertop...

I guess after eating this much pork belly there simply wasn't any room for butter left in the bellies of my dogs and cats. :bag:

That's a shame. Just as well you are pretty laid-back. Your dogs and cats must have thought it was Christmas.

Reactions: maglil55

RosemaryJackson

afternoon all. waiting for the community nurse to come and dress my hand so couldn't go to monday lunch club although it will be delivered soon. have no idea what it will be but for tonight's meal it will be bacon and eggs. I really must get a grip! Sending a hug @Antje77, wont make up for the zuurkoolspek tho!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch at 12 noon: stir-fry of thinly-sliced pork belly, mushrooms, mixed salad leaves and a very few mange-tout. A piece of Brie to follow. Dinner will be steak with brussels sprouts, cauliflower and, purple sprouting broccoli followed if I want one by a small plain Greek yoghurt.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eaten shed loads today.

Late breakfast of M&S rollitos.
Lunch on the run of 1 small bag of Serious Pig snacking cheese, a small pot of 0% Fage and 2 squares of Lindt 90%.
Dinner of slow cooked lamb shoulder followed by more Fage 0%.

011874F5-C5BE-41C7-B471-32B80462FB76.jpeg
B09AECED-0D90-42FA-B071-68CA368F86D3.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a 2 meal day. Breakfast my usual slice HiLo toast and copious tea. Then early afternoon pub roast of trio of meats with lots of veg and cauli cheese
Today brekkie the same, always is. Lunch was tiny bit of Higgidy cheddar& bacon quiche, mixed salad, few pickled onions. Tea and DGF brownie after.
Supper will be Lo Dough pizza with salami and black olives, few cherry tom halves.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum good to see you back on this thread.
@Goonergal gave you winner for your very restrained 2 squares of lindt.
@Outlier lc menu looking good
@RosemaryJackson hope you are healing well
@Antje77 santa definitely did come early last night for your pets
@Annb good to see you back after your hospital trip
@maglil55 pleased you are recovering
@Rachox good to see your one Jaffa cake is back on Sundays menu
@MrsA2 your yoga relax session sounds good I’ve just gone back to yoga and really helps with stress busting

First thing spoons of hm yoghurts with my supplements
Lunch two chicken thighs from yesterday’s roast dinner served with a couple of spoons of sauerkraut and pepper and artichoke salad followed by a few berries and hm yoghurt
Mid pm four squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner frittata with sauerkrauts and salad served with glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine followed by hm lc rhubarb crumble with spoon of yoghurt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 5 FBG 6.3. Another 'side effect' of this bug is I've lost 9 lbs in weight in a combination of the bug and limited eating. Managedvthe walk to the school and back without problems. Last night though I had to once again change my nightdress and sheets due to sweat. Surprised Hubby hasn't taken up residence in another bedroom yet. @shelley262 - thanks, despite all this I am improving.

B. Just water.
L. Early - 2 slices of SLC toast. 1 with whipped cheese, 1 with pate.
D. Leftover cauliflower mash & gammon from yesterday. Another M&S giant plum

Physio tomorrow morning which will hopefully release some of the tension in my legs

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@PenguinMum good to see you back on this thread.
@Goonergal gave you winner for your very restrained 2 squares of lindt.
@Outlier lc menu looking good
@RosemaryJackson hope you are healing well
@Antje77 santa definitely did come early last night for your pets
@Annb good to see you back after your hospital trip
@maglil55 pleased you are recovering
@Rachox good to see your one Jaffa cake is back on Sundays menu
@MrsA2 your yoga relax session sounds good I’ve just gone back to yoga and really helps with stress busting

First thing spoons of hm yoghurts with my supplements
Lunch two chicken thighs from yesterday’s roast dinner served with a couple of spoons of sauerkraut and pepper and artichoke salad followed by a few berries and hm yoghurt
Mid pm four squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner frittata with sauerkrauts and salad served with glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine followed by hm lc rhubarb crumble with spoon of yoghurt
Following on from your suggestions….I’ve watched the videos, bought supplies, read the labels, and pondered; intend making yogurt today. I’m optimistic.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from your suggestions….I’ve watched the videos, bought supplies, read the labels, and pondered; intend making yogurt today. I’m optimistic.
Enjoy the yoghurt. I can’t believe how different hm yoghurts can be both from each other depending on strains of bacteria but also differences between home made and commercial ones.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had to give myself a kick up the bum this morning. My meal plans may look low carb which they are and my blood sugars have been fine, but since Mum died I have been comfort eating, too much cream and dark chocolate and generally bigger portions. I can’t face the bathroom scales yet but my clothes are dropping heavy hints that it won’t be good news when I finally step on them! :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: meatballs in tomato and mascarpone sauce with runner beans and Brussels followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast
Exercise class followed by a peppermint tea with the other ladies
L: 2 eggs scrambled around 3 rashers of bacon. 1 avocado. Ff greek with 4 brazils
Walk/stroll round a nearby nt property. Lovely to see daffs and other flowers coming through.
D: Swede mashed with cheese, cabbage and cold roast chicken. Chocolate mug cake, shared with hubby as a reward for ignoring the coffee shop at the NT.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tori, my way of dealing with the queries around diet were to say I'd had some blood tests done, and it looked like some of the things I'd been happily eating weren't doing me any favours, so I'm avoiding them for the time being.
I think that boat has sailed @AndBreathe, unfortunately it's a case of why I don't take more meds to offset the sugar/ carbs?? I wouldn't mind if they weren't avid followers of Michael Mosleys TV programmes on diabetes :happy: .

Back on topic,

Breakfast: low carb granola, low carb toast and butter, mocha
Lunch: four seeded crackers, cream cheese, parma ham, protein bar
Dinner: Chicken curry with two low carb wraps, strawberries, blackberries and cream. 90% lindt