What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd planned to do a 24hr fast today, in fact I did a 28hr fast. Don't know whether it's my imagination, but these fasts are becoming easier, surprising how they free up time not having to prepare/cook/eat.

Been on pins all day waiting for a call from hubby saying he'd been discharged from hospital after last Friday's knee replacement. The call didn't come till gone 5pm, which was about the time I'd planned for the fast to end. I was dreading the 'journey' from the car to the hubby's chair, but he managed quite well, he was glad to sit down though.

When I had a chance I grabbed a couple slices of corned beef, then when time allowed I had a more formal meal of smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Also had coffee and cream, and a G&T.

Broke my record of having the lowest carb day at 2.6g. The scales better acknowledge my efforts in the morning, or I just might sulk.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Broke my record of having the lowest carb day at 2.6g. The scales better acknowledge my efforts in the morning, or I just might sulk.
I hope so for you too , but if it doesn't put it down to the stress, and sometimes I find the bg and weight doesn't drop until a couple of days after. We aren't robots and don't have built in clocks!

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-24 at 12.39.07 PM.jpeg

Lunch - avacado salad, cauliflower fry, left over cabbage-chia seed porridge, goose berries with mustard sauce, home made peanut butter chocolate slab...

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Yesterdays Pensioners lunch was ham and chicken with onion, peas and sweetcorn in a sauce with veg. Mushroom soup for a starterand my 2 crackers with cheese for pudding. For tea I had 2 slices Bacon Grill (too high in carbs so won't buy again) fried in butter with 2 fried eggs and some mushrooms. Plus 2 squares of 70% salted caramel chocolate.I'm beginning to find it tastes like milk choc so I'm ready for the 85% !! Also found that if I have 2 sweeteners in my coffee, it's too sweet. This is a first for me! Have a good day folks. :)

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some grilled bacon wrapped in a Staffordshire oatcake (the carb I won't/can't give up) a cup of green tea, a cup of unsweetened fresh ground coffee but with a dash of cream (and another, similar one, later this morning). My waking BG was annoyingly high (as it always is) despite the intake of all the meds I'm sure you're all familiar with. Later I'll have a salad (green, cheese, egg and something else if I can think of anything to go with it). This evening I'll be in the hands of my wife, who will, no doubt, provide me with something as low carb as possible. During the day I'll drink more tea and coffee and try and avoid the piece of dark chocolate that's looking at me right now, whispering 'eat me, EAT ME!' and I may sink a large whisky in this early evening. What a joyous diet I follow these days!.....and I still feel like Harpo Marx looks!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Streaky bacon, h/m beef sausage and 2 fried eggs. Oddly, still not feeling particularly full so am hoping a cup of tea will solve that. BG before eating was 10.6. Fairly substantial dose of insulin to cover breakfast and bring it down a bit. Only half an hour later but just checked and BG is now 10.9. Hoping it will go down soon.

2nd meal: Neil bought a pack of short dated steak so will need to have that before it's too late (how awful to have to have steak 3 days in a row!) More Brussels sprouts to use up as well and another courgette that needs to be used. Maybe find something else aroud to go with it and make a kind of veg stew as a side dish.

Just made some 90 second bread. First time I've tried it. Not impressed. Just a kind of rubbery omelette really. Bread of any description, it is not.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday (Monday) usual brekkie of slice LC toast, copious tea.
Then made a big pot of organic broccoli & leek soup for lunch and other meals and inadvertently gave myself salt poisoning which was quite scary. About 20 mins after large bowl of said soup which did taste very salty I was horribly sick, then my abdomen swelled up so badly I had to get into loose clothes, pain everywhere except limbs, nausea, didnt know what to do with myself so took two codeine and got into bed for comfort while all the time trying to keep some water down. Thinking about soup I used a dessp. of Knorr stock powder bought from Amazon a while ago (since no longer available in the supermarket) but suspect counterfeit with large quantity of salt. Had non European writing on pack. Needless to say both soup and stock are now disposed of. Took a few hours but started to feel better and no more food!
Today usual brekkie of slice LC toast and copious tea.
Lunch was Dairylea spread on two slices Dr Almond bread and tea.
Supper will be scrambled eggs and maybe a ramekin of berries.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream
Tea
Coffee with unsweetened almond milk
Cottage cheese, too much herring and tomatoes. Sent my B/S UP!
Pork Chop.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee and cream
Tea
Coffee with unsweetened almond milk
Cottage cheese, too much herring and tomatoes. Sent my B/S UP!
Pork Chop.
Fresh herring is only available here in London between July and September.
Was it a rollmop? I used to adore pickled herrings, but only have to look at one now and my blood glucose soars!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter, slices of avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Gorwydd Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Prawns in garlicky white wine sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, leeks, double cream, rosemary, butter and parmesan.
Steamed asparagus smothered with butter.
Garlic woodland mushrooms.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad using crab, brown shrimps, lettuce, baby plum tomatoes, chicory, Romano peppers, Kalamata olives and Welsh onions, dressed with an olive oil, mint, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Water to swallow tablets.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Fresh herring is only available here in London between July and September.
Was it a rollmop? I used to adore pickled herrings, but only have to look at one now and my blood glucose soars!
Again didn't have my glasses. My usual one wasn't there and just chose a different one. Obviously not the best idea. Trouble is when the writing is so small you can barely see it. I keep looking for pickled herring which is ok.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got home from hols late Sunday but busy since back so going to quickly put a summary of holiday food on and then catch up soon plus it's Bake off tonight....
Our Croatian island half board hotel holiday was wonderful weather mixed but really enjoyed and even stormy days were warm. We've needed to put on heating since our return!
Breakfasts - chef happy to cook omelette to order so had a mushroom omelette made every day with a side of bacon and lots of black coffee plus a portion of their hm kefir with chia seeds
Lunches had picnics whilst hiking using Parma ham and cheese from supermarket with water
Dinner starters such as a charcuterie board, smoked salmon and prawn skewers
PXL_20231015_162524292.jpg
PXL_20231021_163145391~2.jpg

Mains served with grilled med vegs such as
Sea bass
Pork fillet
Chicken breast
Fillet steak
Lamb ....

PXL_20231015_164134850.MP.jpg
PXL_20231020_163829437.jpg
PXL_20231021_164510276~2.jpg
PXL_20231018_164628802.jpg

Puddings I was generally too full but they did offer cheese and yoghurt. Had yoghurt two nights but mainly just had coffee.
Wonderful holiday and great that able to stick to low carb with very high quality meals on offer. OH had lots of the more carby options on offer like pasta pizza and proper puds but is complaining now about weight gain!
Today back to more fermented foods
Breakfast two boiled eggs and one keto roll plus kefir
Lunch cheese and kimchi plus an Apple peel
Dinner steak with mushrooms, onion and a few roasted tomatoes and glass of red wine plus just had two squares of 90% chocolate with decaffeinated coffee

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with milled seeds and 1/3 small pear
Dance class one
L: some leftover frittata with 1 and a half small avocados dressed with lemon flavour olive oil
Dance class 2
D: beefburgers with cheese and 1 slice gherkin, served with swede chips and caulifower and courgette . Pud was 2 small bits of brie and Wensleydale.
1 brandy to drink

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday (Monday) usual brekkie of slice LC toast, copious tea.
Then made a big pot of organic broccoli & leek soup for lunch and other meals and inadvertently gave myself salt poisoning which was quite scary. About 20 mins after large bowl of said soup which did taste very salty I was horribly sick, then my abdomen swelled up so badly I had to get into loose clothes, pain everywhere except limbs, nausea, didnt know what to do with myself so took two codeine and got into bed for comfort while all the time trying to keep some water down. Thinking about soup I used a dessp. of Knorr stock powder bought from Amazon a while ago (since no longer available in the supermarket) but suspect counterfeit with large quantity of salt. Had non European writing on pack. Needless to say both soup and stock are now disposed of. Took a few hours but started to feel better and no more food!
Today usual brekkie of slice LC toast and copious tea.
Lunch was Dairylea spread on two slices Dr Almond bread and tea.
Supper will be scrambled eggs and maybe a ramekin of berries.

That’s a scary reaction, I’m so glad you’re ok now. I’ll definitely look at the origins of commonly used food stuff bought on line in future.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad your hubby is home now and safe&sound @JenniferM55 ,well done on the fast.
@Antje77 your shepherds/cottage pie looks pretty perfect to me. I always find it’s even better the day after too.
Good to see you back @shelley262 your holiday food looks amazing.
My food today:
Out for breakfast, a bacon and cheese omelette again with a lot of coffee.
Day of activities, kayaking and swimming.
Dinner- starter of chicken wings obligingly cooked with just S&P rather than the menu choice of bbq or sweet chilli marinade. Then bunless cheeseburger with salad and coleslaw. 2small glasses red wine and a square of Lindt 90% later.
IMG_3558.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: salmon fillet with peppercorn sauce, broccoli and carrots.
I saw the surgeon who operated on my foot in May. Some metal work has snapped, (goodness knows how?) so the bone hasn’t healed properly. He is going to have to operate again in the next three weeks or so. I’m already worrying about the hospital food :wideyed:

2023-10-24 19.28.14.jpeg