What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Went out this morning, somewhere different.
Ended up having a Latte with whole milk.
Cheese, ham and coleslaw salad.
Cottage cheese and tomato
Tea x 2

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and crevettes, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Baked halloumi and Romano peppers.
Roast cauliflower with Egyptian duqqah; almonds. hazelnuts, pistachios. sesame, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
Hummus and Kalamata olives.
Salad made with cucumber, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, thyme and baby plum tomatoes with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds amazing, would you share how you make this?

View attachment 67762
Egyptian duqqah (sometimes transliterated from arabic as dukkah) is dead easy to make and adds flavour and a crusty coating to roasted vegetables and fish, or a finishing touch to soups and salads. It's nice sprinkled on hummus. Egyptians use it with chicken too.

Ingredients
8 tablespoons hazelnuts
3 tablespoons almonds
4 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons pistachios (shelled)
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt to tast (optional)

Method
Put the hazelnuts and almonds in a dry pan. Do not add oil. Toast until the nuts turn golden brown and fragrant. Set aside while you toast the sesame seeds briefly until they take on some colour. Put toasted nuts and seeds in a mortar or a food processor together with the rest of the ingredients and grind to a coarse mixture, about the consistency of bread crumbs.

Dukkah will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks in the fridge but we seldom have any left for that long!

You can buy duqqah ready made in some supermarkets, but personally I wouldn't give those products house room, Its success depends on the freshness of the ingredients, particularly the nuts and seeds. Plus a home-made condiment enables you to vary the ingredients to suit your own particular preferences.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Went out late and brought back a small greek yogurt and fresh blueberries.
Was going to eat half today and half tomorrow.... I didn't and scoffed the lot.
Ham and 1 slice of gouda.
2 small chicken thighs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: tuna melts with cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

2024-05-21 19.30.28.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee and cream x 2
Went out late and brought back a small greek yogurt and fresh blueberries.
Was going to eat half today and half tomorrow.... I didn't and scoffed the lot.
Ham and 1 slice of gouda.
2 small chicken thighs.
We're all different @filly, but if blueberries prove problematic (they would be for me), fresh raspberries or strawberries are available now, mostly imported from Spain.

I can handle blackberries and black currants too, but it's still too early for fresh ones of course.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs smothered with butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of goat's milk Gouda.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso

L: Wild Alaskan salmon baked with calabrese broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, rocket, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, cucumber, Nocellara olives and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pistachios.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
I usually skip lunch, but day out at the coast with hubby today and he fancied a burger, I couldn’t resist and joined him, I had the burger, cheese, and salad, chucked the bun!
Dinner at Nando’s, pic to show what I had!

2024-05-22 19.39.35.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today should have been the 3rd day of beef and onion stew but I didn't feel like it. Froze part of the leftovers, left a portion in the fridge and made myself a toastie of LC bread with 'raclette cheese' (Lidl, melts quickly so much easier to not burn the bread before the cheese has melted) and Schwarzwalder Schinken (also Lidl, German dry cured ham).
Dip of mayo, a drop of water, hot sauce, and a little Branston pickle for some sweet and sour kick.

1716410837487.png

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L:Melanzane alla parmigiana using aubergine without breading or flour, passata, mozzarella, parmesan, olive oil, oregano, garlic, nutmeg and basil. Omitted breadcrumb topping from mine and finished with extra parmesan.
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a knob of butter.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Halkidiki olives and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with pecan halves.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- microwaved egg muffin ( 2 eggs, handful of cheese, slice of chopped ham, microwaved 2 min)
L- cold turkey, smoked cheese and fermented red cabbage. Choc chia pud.
D- venison haunch steak with buttered cabbage and mushrooms.
@LivingLightly thanks for posting your h/m dukkah recipe. I have a jar of it I bought from a Christmas market but yours sounds so much nicer.
IMG_1716486356.424745.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Skipped lunch.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette.

2024-05-23 19.13.59.jpeg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Corned beef and tomato
Small cottage cheese
Snack sausages
Smoked salmon. (another that never had sugar in and now does) The list of ok smoked salmon getting very short.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@LivingLightly thanks for posting your h/m dukkah recipe. I have a jar of it I bought from a Christmas market but yours sounds so much nicer. View attachment 67818
Evening @DJC3.

I confess I've never actually tried a commercial blend of duqqah, but a jar I happened to come across contained about 50 per cent dried chick peas so not diabetuc friendly and included peanuts, but no actual nuts at all. I expect there are better quality blends available.

My recipe came from well known Eqyptian cookery writer, Claudia Roden, so I'm sure it's authentic. Preparation fills your kitchen with a pleasant aroma, so it's a real pleasure and very easy to make.