What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', (no breadcrumbs) garlic, vegetable stock and rosemary.
Vegetarian gravy
Steamed purple sprouting broccoli smothered with butter.
Carrots cut on the diagonal, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with mussels and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, fennel fronds and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..
Water to wash down tablets.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothin' yet. Dinner will be preceded by the usual small but exquisite portion of mixed nuts, followed by the vaguely Mediterranean thingy of chunks of leftover lamb from yesterday, brewed slowly with sliced aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, leeks, olives, chives, rosemary, sage, garlic, olive oil, a vegetable stock cube and a couple of slices of lemon. All but the olives and herbs pre-prepped and frozen. For those who worry that not being able to cook results in boring or limited meals - this is one of many dishes I do that take a few minutes to organise, and cooks itself. One pot.

If I get hungry beforehand, there is some Greek yoghurt to fill the gap, but I probably won't need it.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Teifi
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom roast.
Celery sticks, baby plum tomatoes, lettuce cups for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts and brazils.
Water to drink.

Mid-afternoon: black filter coffee

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with rocket, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions, Halkidiki olives and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with pecan halves.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- DD keto breakfast sandwich ( 2 ‘over easy’ fried eggs as the bread with a slice of cheese and ham in between.
L- cold chicken thighs and salad.
D- went to a party for the 40th birthday of the farmer we buy our pasture fed beef from. They spit roasted a whole cow, it was superb. Served with lots of lovely fresh salads ( their whole family now follows a low carb diet)
IMG_1716591762.110032.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out til late yesterday at a type 2 friend’s house so here’s yesterdays food.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: salmon, cherry tomatoes and Boursin cheese oven baked with courgette.

2024-05-24 18.48.40.jpeg

YvonneEB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
B. Chai yoghurt pear and raspberries
L. Ryvitas with sardines in tom sauce and cucumber and cherry toms. Im only had one appt with diabetic nurse and asked to diet and reduce waist measurement. Ive list 5kilos. Back to see nurse in two weeks.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Porchetta and cucumber
Smoked salmon, cheese and avocado and a small slice of Porchetta

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: prawn cocktail on a LC roll with coleslaw.

2024-05-25 19.28.47.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Chai yoghurt pear and raspberries
L. Ryvitas with sardines in tom sauce and cucumber and cherry toms. Im only had one appt with diabetic nurse and asked to diet and reduce waist measurement. Ive list 5kilos. Back to see nurse in two weeks.
Hello @YvonneEB. Welcome to our forum and this thread for diabetic foodies. We're pleased you could join us.
So you've lost some weight already. Well done you!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and oregano, baked with aubergines and red bell peppers, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Kalamata olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.

RosemaryJackson

Yesterday's food; 3 lc sausages with a little tomato sauce; ham with salad and pickled onions plus 2 crackerbreads. Also had some straberries with yoghurt. Hope you've all had a good day. Today (sunday) I have some meaty spare ribsfor lunch with cauli and broccoli and a tin of red salmon for tea with some salad. :)

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's meal was a sirloin steak, with mushrooms, mushy peas and a fried egg. I didn't really feel like steak, but it expired today, so didn't want to waste it. I broke the yolk in my fried egg, and my peas weren't very mushy. The mushrooms were lovely, though.

PXL_20240526_114019717.PORTRAIT.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Mixed berries with plenty of cream!
Roast pork and tomato
Doesn't look too much but went a bit over.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's meal was a sirloin steak, with mushrooms, mushy peas and a fried egg. I didn't really feel like steak, but it expired today, so didn't want to waste it. I broke the yolk in my fried egg, and my peas weren't very mushy. The mushrooms were lovely, though.

View attachment 67866
Did the yolk break in the pan or on your plate @IanBish? If the former, as looks likely from your photo, this may be a sign that your egg was not as fresh, as you'd expect.

It can also happen when the shell is papery thin. If on cracking open, you don't get a clean break, tiny pieces of jagged shell can find their way into the pan unseen and puncture the yolk membrane.

Last edited:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did the yolk break in the pan or on your plate @IanBish? If the former, as looks likely from your photo, this may be a sign that your egg was not as fresh, as you'd expect.

It can also happen when the shell is papery thin. If on cracking open, you don't get a clean break, tiny pieces of jagged shell can find their way into the pan unseen and puncture the yolk membrane..
It looked fine when I cracked it. It's weird, when I make omelettes I can crack three eggs and they all stay intact. But when I try to fry one...

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with fennel fronds and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a knob of butter.
Baked calabrese, leeks, onions, garlic and sweet red peppers.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, lettuce, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with pecan halves.

Reactions: Antje77