What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Been reading this thread, but then keep getting distracted before I get round to post. :)

So the last few days have been
Fri: prawns in brinjal cream for lunch, and burglars for evening meal
Sat: scram egg and bacon in cafe with half a GF bagel with not enough butter! forgot about lunch. Then my homemade chick ham and leek pie filling for a late night snack. Basically cooked chunks of chicken and leek in my big wide pan, added cream cheese (for the sauce), stirred, left to cool, then added cooked ham chunks. and dished up individually for reheating as and when. Mr B gets his with cauli cheese or mash, I get mine uncarbed.

Out with friend in afternoon for mutt walk, she said 'have you lost weight?' and I said 'No way! I think I have gained!' not yet got on scales though, because I know it will be BAD news. Too much chocolate. :(

Sun: breakfast omelette, last of defrosted stew from 2 weeks ago, last of defrosted cheesy mince from 2 weeks ago.

Oh, and am about to make myself a low carb HC hot choc for breakfast, so it looks like the choc fest isn't over yet. ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea, coffee and almond milk cocoa until 18.00 - busy but not enamoured of much else anyhow. Mackerel and avocado salad followed by CCB for today's meal - I did pick at some goose skin and left over cauliflower cheese whilst getting the ingredients. Last (hopefully ever) chemo session today, holiday on Saturday then some serious research and work on making this WOE Ian friendly and effective. May have more cocoa before bed as a wild celebration.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was about to make my meal for today when a friend arrived - having already had her lunch. She was welcome, but by the time she left - about an hour later - I didn't feel like cooking. So I just had sliced up cold sausages from yesterday with some green salad. A little mayonnaise pulled it together. Just tea both before and after the meal (and while my friend was here). Actually very sore after doing a little bit of work around the house so I took some co-codamol - and fairly promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours. Bit of a wasted day really.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two meals today. Breakfast was 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and grated cheese.

Dinner was slow cooked bone in beef shin and oxtail. Yum. The resulting gravy was delicious and the remains safely stowed for the next slow cooked meal. Followed up with a lc hot chocolate made with lactofree whole milk.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two meals today. Breakfast was 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and grated cheese.

Dinner was slow cooked bone in beef shin and oxtail. Yum. The resulting gravy was delicious and the remains safely stowed for the next slow cooked meal. Followed up with a lc hot chocolate made with lactofree whole milk.
Do you just melt LC choc in the milk or use something else?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you just melt LC choc in the milk or use something else?

I found this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hasslacher+chocolate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari in TK Maxx and as it’s 100% chocolate, decided to give it a whirl. I melt 2 squares in a mug in the microwave and then add a small amount of either cream or milk to make a paste, then heat some milk in a pan and add. The milk adds enough sweetness without the need for a sweetener. Any lc chocolate would do the same. This combination makes for something more milky than richly chocolate, so just adjust the ratios according to taste.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hasslacher+chocolate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari in TK Maxx and as it’s 100% chocolate, decided to give it a whirl. I melt 2 squares in a mug in the microwave and then add a small amount of either cream or milk to make a paste, then heat some milk in a pan and add. The milk adds enough sweetness without the need for a sweetener. Any lc chocolate would do the same. This combination makes for something more milky than richly chocolate, so just adjust the ratios according to taste.
Thanks. Think I'll stick with cocoa powder (Aldi or Lidl) and almond milk in the velveter then microwave for a little warmer in winter but that all sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over duck with leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino and a Raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: broccoli and cauliflower cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
6A5FD0C4-5C3B-4520-9736-88CD0B1DA770.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An unintended OMAD for me.
Crusted cheese omelette for brunch 11:00ish
Went to cinema for 5:45 showing so too early for dinner beforehand and too late now we’re back. Just tea now.
@ianpspurs I hope the chemo went as well as could be expected and fingers crossed it will be the last one. The holiday is very timely.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From yesterday 11/11/19
Breakfast: Usual homemade low carb porridge with 100g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 100g ham, 208g iceberg lettuce, 25g tasty cheese, with pepper and franks red hot sauce
Dinner: omlette with mushrooms and cold cauliflower that I precooked.
It was a busy day at the library so dinner was quick and easy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth and a small cup hot choc
L: Wensleydale
D: ham, chicken and leek homemade pie filling :D

greek yog with cream

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Ham and salad sandwiches.
Dinner: Goat roast, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water and lots of it.

State of Fire Emergency Declared in Queensland.

https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/Pages/State-of-Fire-Emergency-Declared.aspx

A pix of a fire to the south of Bundy.

images

Edit: No need for hugs for me, hug the "fireys" as they risk life and limb as volunteers for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@ianpspurs -- Keeping my fingers crossed that you have got it licked after this last set of chemo.
@Tipetoo -- How close are these fires to you? They look pretty fierce.
@DCUKMod -- Great idea with using the container with plastic lid. Thank for the great advice (as always). Wonder if cling wrap would work too.

Today ...

Started out pretty well.

Breakfast: Half a DD keto roll with butter and gouda. A bowl of beef vegetable soup.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: About 200g of guacamole and about 100g of skirt steak. A wiener sausage (chicken rather than pork).

Then it kind of gave in and had 48g of 85% chocolate. Surprised that it didn't impact blood sugars much. Rise from 4.5 mmol to 4.8 mmol -- probably helped along by two glasses of red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Ham and salad sandwiches.
Dinner: Goat roast, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water and lots of it.

State of Fire Emergency Declared in Queensland.

https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/Pages/State-of-Fire-Emergency-Declared.aspx

A pix of a fire to the south of Bundy.

images

Edit: No need for hugs for me, hug the "fireys" as they risk life and limb as volunteers for the most part.

My goodness! Those fires are terrifying. I didn’t realise most of the ‘fireys’ are volunteers either. I’ll be keeping a close eye on the news and thinking about you - and them.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@ianpspurs -- Keeping my fingers crossed that you have got it licked after this last set of chemo.
@DCUKMod -- Great idea with using the container with plastic lid. Thank for the great advice (as always). Wonder if cling wrap would work too.

Today ...

Started out pretty well.

Breakfast: Half a DD keto roll with butter and gouda. A bowl of beef vegetable soup.

Dinner: About 200g of guacamole and about 100g of skirt steak. A wiener sausage (chicken rather than pork).

Then it kind of gave in and had 48g of 85% chocolate. Surprised that it didn't impact blood sugars much. Rise from 4.5 mmol to 4.8 mmol -- probably helped along by two glasses of red wine.
Thanks @ziggy_w. The actual chemo was no big problem (I never opened my eyes to see what was going on) probably less unpleasant than eating Montezumas or similar time wise. The TV in the treatment room drove me mad - one week was some Strictly Come Dancing which really, really spoiled my day.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Today ...

Started out pretty well.

Ziggy - Cling wrap works beautifully. The only downside is if you want to give your bag of food a shake, mid cook, or as I sometimes do, turn it around, or upside down (I use vacc sealed bags), it gets a bit messy with the condensation. It does work very well, and indeed, that's how I started experimenting with "water baths" and "lids".

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday was usual breakfast of one slice LivLife toast, butter, tea. Really miss HiLo which I can no longer get within 20 miles.
Lunch was large bowl of h/m leek and brocolli soup.
Supper was med marinated pork chop and tenderstem brocolli. Later had too many walnuts.
Today breakfast and lunch will be the same.
Supper will either be 3 egg omelette or roasted aubergine,red onion and tomato.

I have discovered that I dont like cauliflower mashed which has surprised me.
Love it in all other guises. For mash you cant beat buttery celeriac in my world.