What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Winnie-the-Pooh

Had a low BG day :

FPG = 90 ( that is 5.5) after a little bit of walk and water

Breakfast : a quarter of a cheese and spinach wrap , one sausage, one spoon of beans . Black coffee .

Lunch : a tiny piece of chicken and some green leaves , 1-2 small mushrooms , plus half a cup of dark hot chocolate as dessert.

BG went to 58 ( that is 3.2) afternoon so had a quarter of a glass orange juice and one tiny tiny square of chocolate . Still low (70 = 3.8) but enough to keep me alive till dinner

Winnie-the-Pooh

Have to agree. As you know I go away with a crowd every year and, as you say, it involves some homework, but studying the menus online saves loads of time. Italian restaurants are pretty straightforward. There's 2 whole sections you can ignore straight away - pasta & pizza - but Italian is a lot more than that. Antipasto - meats/cheese or the fishy variety or the veggie version. Squid doesn't have to be in batter - tell them in advance you have an issue with flour. It's just as delicious pan fried in garlic butter. Aubergine parmigiana - another great standby as a main or a starter. Italian Carne - chicken, veal - some delicious sauces and again tell them you can't eat potato and I always get an offer to increase the veg or sub a salad. Desserts I don't think about now - a special coffee with brandy, no sugar and cream is a great substitute. Like you, I sometimes find there are more starters that appeal to me than mains. Then I just double up on the starters.
I used to think eating out would be a problem but it's not. Trick is letting the place know your dietary requirements in advance. There are so many allergies nowadays they are happy to oblige.

I like pasta , a lot

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to agree. As you know I go away with a crowd every year and, as you say, it involves some homework, but studying the menus online saves loads of time. Italian restaurants are pretty straightforward. There's 2 whole sections you can ignore straight away - pasta & pizza - but Italian is a lot more than that. Antipasto - meats/cheese or the fishy variety or the veggie version. Squid doesn't have to be in batter - tell them in advance you have an issue with flour. It's just as delicious pan fried in garlic butter. Aubergine parmigiana - another great standby as a main or a starter. Italian Carne - chicken, veal - some delicious sauces and again tell them you can't eat potato and I always get an offer to increase the veg or sub a salad. Desserts I don't think about now - a special coffee with brandy, no sugar and cream is a great substitute. Like you, I sometimes find there are more starters that appeal to me than mains. Then I just double up on the starters.
I used to think eating out would be a problem but it's not. Trick is letting the place know your dietary requirements in advance. There are so many allergies nowadays they are happy to oblige.

Aside from gluten ( although I think I am refining that a bit - more on that another time, because of its impact for about a week, i never, EVER, explain my dietary needs.

If I want a double starter, I usually just say something like, "that looks so delicious, could I have it as a main?" That usually results in puffed chests and enthusiasm. For spud, or bread, etc., I just ignore them on the plate.

In my world, my T2 and other dietary are my issue, not for anyone else to be party to.

That's just me, and it keeps my life simple.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like pasta , a lot

If you are strongly wedded to pasta, then try it and see what it does on your Libre.

For me, there was no dramatic rise (probably due to the fattier Carbonnara (or such like) sauce, however ybloods rose a bit, but stayed elevated for many hours. As pasta was never a great thing for me anyway, I just gave it up.

In my world, there arroyo many other great foods to eat, without pasta, but as I say; try it and see.

If you are no longer using the Libre or suchlike, then I suggest you test for several hours afterwards. Pasta is well know for deferred and/or multiple packs in blood numbers.

Winnie-the-Pooh

If you are strongly wedded to pasta, then try it and see what it does on your Libre.

For me, there was no dramatic rise (probably due to the fattier Carbonnara (or such like) sauce, however ybloods rose a bit, but stayed elevated for many hours. As pasta was never a great thing for me anyway, I just gave it up.

In my world, there arroyo many other great foods to eat, without pasta, but as I say; try it and see.

If you are no longer using the Libre or suchlike, then I suggest you test for several hours afterwards. Pasta is well know for deferred and/or multiple packs in blood numbers.

I have a Dexcom G6. Even boring edamame pasta caused a spike , sadly .

It’s not about pasta , or pizza , or croissant or cream puffs. It is about having the physical ability to eat what you like , when you like . I have always eaten very little , and very healthy and very well . But I had the freedom to eat what I liked without health consequences. Now I don’t . It’s lost .

For some ppl , food is just about getting nutritions they need a healthy and enjoyable way . For me , food is a very important and essential part of my happiness and I allow myself to be very hard to please when it comes to food and I plan to keep it that way.

So going to a restaurant and “just finding what I can eat “ won’t work for me . I need to go to a restaurant and “choose anything I want to eat, at that given time , without health consequences”. It’s as simple as that .

An analogy is about perfume . For many ppl , as long as they smell good , they are happy . For me , I need to have tens of perfumes to choose the one that matches best for my mood in that particular time . If I fancy a perfume with hints of plume , having a perfume with hints of citrus won’t do !

As diabetic patient , we are conditioned to feel apologetic for wanting what is not healthy for us . I don’t feel apologetic or pretend that I enjoy all the boring food I eat to stay healthy .

Of course , my priority is my health and I won’t jeopardize it with a bad diet . But I don’t fool myself that an important aspect of my life is lost , forever .

A chocolate truffle tastes better than a zucchini. It is what it is. Healthy ppl get the truffle , and we get the zucchini. That is a sad fact . But I like to focus on its factuality than sadness .

We have to allow ourselves to wish for things even if we cannot have them, right now . I believe it is very important to be vocal about it because medicine has to find a better to manage diabetes than diet. We have a right to live normally , eat normally and don’t count our carbs . And we have to advocate for better treatments. The least we have to expect from medicine is to put its act together and give us a normal life, rather than putting us on diet !

I love and wish what I cannot eat and hate what I can eat !! And I’m not ashamed of it and the least I can do is to say it loud . I love cream puffs. Simple

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
had another sleep in today got waken up by a phone call from my IBD nurse my recent blood test shows my CRP inflammation markers have gone back up to 50 and they want me to go on another medication biological for my UC she has given me a link to read up about the new drug and discuss further on monday my decision. so my day didn't start to well and forgot to test my BSL so feeling a bit low today.

brunch I had the other half of my pancakes with butter and yoghurt washed down with black coffee.
dinner my BSL 4.5 mmmol/L and was feeling shaky so had my left over rice roll with 1/2 cucumber and 1/2 avocado and my asian dressings but after eating this I got very sweaty so not sure if this has affect my BSL but will check in 2 hours and 4 hours to see what my BSL is.

Updating as I am still hungry so had another rice paper roll.

I was wondering is it okay to check BSL straight away after eating or is this not recommended?

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Still sort of following the DD plan, but having swapped out the goat cheese frittata a domino effect happened and I’ve had to swap a few more meals ( or end up with mince based meals for lunch and dinner on a few days running, just didn’t fancy that)
B: 2fried eggs 2 slices smoked cheese.
L: chicken salad, lettuce, avo, mayo.
Stressful day waiting for vet to ring - Dennis got hold of a packet of paracetamol last night and had to be rushed in..Finally got the all clear and bought him home around 4:30.
D: DD keto tuna casserole, another substitute but very popular in these parts.
oh dear hope Dennis is ok

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Dexcom G6. Even boring edamame pasta caused a spike , sadly .

It’s not about pasta , or pizza , or croissant or cream puffs. It is about having the physical ability to eat what you like , when you like . I have always eaten very little , and very healthy and very well . But I had the freedom to eat what I liked without health consequences. Now I don’t . It’s lost .

For some ppl , food is just about getting nutritions they need a healthy and enjoyable way . For me , food is a very important and essential part of my happiness and I allow myself to be very hard to please when it comes to food and I plan to keep it that way.

So going to a restaurant and “just finding what I can eat “ won’t work for me . I need to go to a restaurant and “choose anything I want to eat, at that given time , without health consequences”. It’s as simple as that .

An analogy is about perfume . For many ppl , as long as they smell good , they are happy . For me , I need to have tens of perfumes to choose the one that matches best for my mood in that particular time . If I fancy a perfume with hints of plume , having a perfume with hints of citrus won’t do !

As diabetic patient , we are conditioned to feel apologetic for wanting what is not healthy for us . I don’t feel apologetic or pretend that I enjoy all the boring food I eat to stay healthy .

Of course , my priority is my health and I won’t jeopardize it with a bad diet . But I don’t fool myself that an important aspect of my life is lost , forever .

A chocolate truffle tastes better than a zucchini. It is what it is. Healthy ppl get the truffle , and we get the zucchini. That is a sad fact . But I like to focus on its factuality than sadness .

We have to allow ourselves to wish for things even if we cannot have them, right now . I believe it is very important to be vocal about it because medicine has to find a better to manage diabetes than diet. We have a right to live normally , eat normally and don’t count our carbs . And we have to advocate for better treatments. The least we have to expect from medicine is to put its act together and give us a normal life, rather than putting us on diet !

I love and wish what I cannot eat and hate what I can eat !! And I’m not ashamed of it and the least I can do is to say it loud . I love cream puffs. Simple

I'm not denying you feel as you do. How could I?

My other half is a retired very successful restauranteur, an excellent cook (although he was not involved in that side of his businesses) and we are both foodies. I love my food. He loves his food. There is zero doubt both our lives have been impacted by my diagnosis, but right at the outset I was, and remain committed to not having it rule me, and not having it interfere with my life any more than it absolutely has to.

I felt so strongly about this that I told my immediate family, my OH, and hardly anyone else. I didn't want anyone's curiosity, labelling, judging or pitiful looks.

I decided, at the outset, that I had zero wish to be tethered to a pharmacy for meds. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking meds to help treat diabetes, or anything else, but as someone who, at diagnosis took nothing, I didn't want that to change. I was also leaving the country within 3 weeks of my diagnosis, to go sailing for 9 months, taking myself 4500 miles away from my doctor and our health care system, so I accepted I best grasp the thing by the throat.

My diet had never been poor. In fact, in terms of standard dietary advice, I was a poster child, but it seemed, it hadn't worked to prevent me developing T2. My family is strewn with people living, or having lived with diabetes of all sorts, so maybe I was bound for it in any case, but one thing was sure, I wasn't wasting any time worrying out the past.

When friends noticed I had modified my diet, I explained I'd had some blood tests that showed some foods weren't doing me any favours, so I was avoiding them for the time being. Were they bothered? Not particularly. Did they try to dissuade me? Yes, sometimes they would try to encourage a dessert, perhaps, but they accepted I didn't want it. I'm sure it helped that I didn't sometimes have x or y, then sometimes pass it by. That just, in my view, encourages further attempts to persuade.

Of course there have been hard days, but there's more to life than profiteroles and those days, I accept that to live well, it makes sense to avoid certain foods. My A1cs have been high 20s or low 30s since 2014. I can pass an OGTT, but I am at one with myself, as I am. It can take time, and effort to weather the tougher days.

I would urge to to find some form of acceptance in all this. Railing against your diagnosis may not, in itself, be helping your blood glucose numbers. One of my greatest factors in my variability is stress. I can see stress on a Libre sensor trace. It's clear.

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 17/01/2020
Fasting blood glucose upon waking: 3.9
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 170g non fat chobani yoghurt, 17g protein peanut butter, 66g blueberries. four coffees with 0.5 cup soy milky light split between them. One hour after two coffee's and porridge 5.7, after two hours and two more coffee's 4.3. So I can eat porridge, it gives a peak rise of 1.8 after 1 hour. I am a happy person.

Lunch: two white corn tortilla, 93 raw capsicum, 27g dill pickle, 40g spicy hummus, 100g sauerkraut, 118g tomato, mustard, hot sauce.

Dinner: 348g zuchini, 2 xl eggs fried, 4 falafel bites (17g carbs).

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

NitinHP

I hada cup of coffee with 1/5 full fat milk
A 2 egg omelette with cheese and tomatoes

I did eat about 5 or 6 nuts after waking up.

I added some salt to my meal last night, forgot to do it this morning.
Paying more attention to hydration especially during and after a coffee

Oh yeah, I also had a tablespoon of greek yoghurt and some blueberries.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Last night bed: 5.2
This morning FBG 6.9 (very slowly getting lower)

B: usual Friday 'treat' of Toby buffet breakfast (veggie choices) - far too many carbs (gently trying to persuade Mr C that this isn't the treat it used to be)
Amazingly 2 hours after: 7.4!
L: Won't be needed
D: will be Linda McCartney burger with home made coleslaw (might have two burgers depending how my BGs are at the start of cooking)
Drinks: black decaff coffee x 3 mugs, one small caffeine free diet Pepsi with meds and a couple of litres of bottled water

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had half of my frittata yesterday afternoon (the half with the least black pudding in it) and immediately felt nauseous and needed to sit down. That lasted right up until bed-time when my stomach finally gave up the fight and gave up its contents. Felt a bit better after that but had a really bad night (I could see and feel my bowel moving as if it was a baby kicking) and still feeling a bit nauseous this morning. Because of all that I didn't bake or make soup yesterday so I'm having to do it today. This is where it all gets worse - I had to trim the cakes and couldn't resist having a taste of the trimmings (had to make sure they were allright since the whole lot rose much more than I expected). My FBG was 9.9 and my BG now is 18.5! I've taken insulin to try to bring it down, but no success so far.

I might have to eat later in the day because I have to go out to the children's class this evening and can't go with nothing inside me all day. I do have some lamb shoulder which I slow cooked yesterday, but right now I just don't fancy anything except water and tea.

frittata.JPG

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hungry day today and lots of walking with sons dog. He was unsettled last night as first overnight away from home for this longish stay so need to catch up with sleep tonight - I hope - lack of sleep always makes me hungrier! Did 20k steps with him plus playing and ball chase but he’s stilllooking lively! Son and partner meanwhile are in Prague - their surprise destination revealed at airport.
Breakfast two boiled eggs and a toasted chaffle
Lunch hm veggie soup and half lc cheese scone followed by montezumas 100% choc flavoured with orange oil
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower and broccoli cheese and asparagus with glass of Pinot Grigio dry white wine then pudding hm lc raspberry pudding with yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still following the DD plan, with swaps. Today was:
B: 2 eggs, 2 slices cheddar and 2 black coffees.
L: keto deli roast beef with coleslaw. Black coffee
D: keto fish casserole with mushrooms and Dijon mustard.
Made this with cod straight off the boat this morning, it was delicious. Snack when I went to buy the fish was a slice of their new line- gravadlax. It was out on plates in the office for them to try so they offered it to me. Wonderful but sadly not available to buy yet.
Seems like an awful lot of food today but it was all fab.
I’m pleased that the black coffee experiment is going well, CWC will hopefully become an occasional treat.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato.
Lunch: Barbequed $20.00 worth of snags and fried onions out at the block celebrating the rain there yesterday.
Dinner: Grilled crumbed fish, salad.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugars, water.

hFi6cJg.jpg

Reactions: Chook and Quinn1066

NitinHP

I had two heck sausages, will make sure they are 97% or higher next time. A plate full of veg with added salt. Consisting of spinach, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.

I have also had 4 pieces of lindt 85% chocolate, more nuts than I should have and a 83 kal gin and diet tonic. I was able to read the small print on the can. I havnt been able to do that since early last summer. Not sure how to interpret that!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All :)

B: Bone broth and LC hot choc
L: none - except for 4 squares Lindt 70% Spread over about 3 hours
D: sausage and chips haha! Halloumi fries and Tescos finest GF v lc sausages.

following last w/e when I cooked sausages in the air fryer for the first time, I have decided that (despite manufacturers instructions), this is BY FAR the best way to cook them. Never looking back now... and i can fit sausages for 1 and H fries for one in the tray in one go. Win. Win. Win. :D

Mr B out at work til 11pm tonight, so having a pamper party with the mutts. Deep brushing, leave in spray conditioner for 1 and 2 (if I hypnotise them enough with the brushing, flat on their backs, they don’t notice the knicker and foot fur trimming). No 3 would like to get in on the act (attention seeking little monster), but she seems to have ticklish tummy and toes, so have stopped temporarily while she calms down...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola with black coffee.
Dinner: cold bbq chicken drumsticks, with leafy salad, two cherry tomatoes and a bag of Wildings lamb and mint crackling followed by Oppo lemon cheesecake with cream and keto coconut granola.