What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Oops forgot the cake
77199B6D-6A35-4207-A5A1-5353410D68C4.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In before all the rugby. @zauberflote LC bread per se isn’t a problem - oopsie bread is a total no no.Tuna mayo sandwich, seared Tuna, Tuna Sashimi all very good. Tinned tuna with melted cheese on oopsie bread - nah. Most of my food choices are emotional/irrational not based on macros/analysis. B= Mucho TWAM; 11:.00 am; CWC and 40 gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate;.L Corned beef and cucumber sandwich - skinny bread, more cuc and salad leaves with ACV,; EM: Mackerel and avo salad with flaxseeds atop - the ACV in the vinaigrette is the strong emotional pull here.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Haven't posted for a couple of days -- being out and having fun (also slacked on the exercise).

Thank you so very much for your birthday wishes all, @ianpspurs, @zauberflote, @Goonergal, @Annb, @PenguinMum, @DCUKMod, @maglil55, @DJC3, @OzBlossom, and @Mrs T 123. This definitely made my day.

@DJC3 -- Kind of wondered in which way you notice the taste of psyllium husk? Tbh, I am not sure I noticed one way or another or probably don't remember what bread without the psyllium tastes like.

@DJC3. Never tried monkfruit as a sweetener. How does it taste like compared to erythritol? And what is Brussels pate -- made from Brussels sprouts?

@maglil55 -- Yes, going into partial lockdown again is definitely a drag. Just hope it helps -- so far the results of lockdowns across Europe don't seem to be great as numbers continue to rise across all countries.

@zauberflote -- Just wondered what foods are difficult for you (can't be tolerated)?

Food on Thursday ...

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. (Also received my parcel with low-carb goodies), so had half a package of chicken crisps (12g, taste is so-so, nothing to write home about, probably because they quite low fat too, but will be good to use with dips). Also hat ordered two fatt bars (salt caramel), which were fantastic. Also tried some of the mandarine orange chocolate, which was also good, but not fantastic.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Eating out. Some Breton fish soup (tasted like bouillabaise) with gruyere and sauce rouille. A small plate of spicy ground lamb/beef on hummus) and a few pomegranate seeds. Was disappointed in the main course, which was supposed to be lamb with pumkin and fennel, but mostly contained potatoes (which weren't listed on the menu) -- they were very accommodating though and let me replace this with a cheese platter. One and a half glasses of chardonnay. Enjoyed the food overall, but unfortunately this enjoyment was a little hampered because my husband hated it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LaoDan -- The cake looks absolutely to die for. Almost afraid to ask -- was it reasonably low-carb?

Yesterday's food:

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise, cheese, and smoked and sliced duck breast.

Out for some wine in the afternoon, early evening.

Upon getting home: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami, the other half with butter, cheese and cucumber. Some of my husband's döner kebab, with tzatziki and some kraut salad.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. Edited to add: About 20g of the mandarine orange chocolate (sweetened with stevia and eryhritol).

Dinner: Two chicken drumsticks baked in low-carb barbeque sauce. About 150g of baba ghanoush. About 150g of cauliflower tabouleh. Some red wine.

@DJC3 -- Thought the tabouleh was very nice. The whole recipe hat about 35g of carbs (based on cronometer), but it is a huge portion (probably ten servings, so around 3.5g of carbs per serving).

Recipe:
-- a minced onion fried in three tablespoons of olive oil until soft
-- add one head of a medium grated cauliflower to the pan,
-- spice with a bit of cinnamon, a tablespoon of garlic-ginger paste, some salt and white pepper to taste,
-- (I also added half a teaspoon of erythritol as the original recipe called for dates)
-- remove grated cauliflower/onion from heat after about 6 minutes (cauliflower should still be crunchy).
-- add about 25g each of minced flat leave parsley, coriander (cilantro) and mint.
-- also add the juice of half a lemon plus the grated zest.
-- finally add the seeds of half a pomegranate.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ziggy_w I don’t know what Brussels pate is either, but pate made from sprouts doesn’t sound very appealing.

A spread out OMAD today. Decent walk this morning followed by some retail therapy - waterproof trail shoes and some running socks from the ASICS Outlet, which just happens to be opposite the Hotel Chocolat outlet, so one or two little treats may have been bought too.

Dinner was extra thick double cream and almond butter followed by ribeye steak (two small ones) and a 35g bar of 75% supermilk chocolate which was surprisingly bitter.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to say!

Lunch: cream of mushroom soup (inspired by a DD recipe) + psyllium, green leaf salad, 2 x keto-friendly coffee
Dinner: chorizo with lettuce, radish and celery salad, stevia hot chocolate

I'm admiring so many of your menus and recipes and am having fun working out some of the acronyms on this thread:

@ianpspurs CWC, I imagine you having "Cheese With Cheese"- seems appropriate
@maglil55, I've gone back and back through the thread, trying to work out what on earth this TAG is for your breakfasts, and I'm afraid my brain can only come up with "Tea And Gin", but that seems unlikely! :)
Very unlikely! Tassimo Americano Grande - large black coffee. Sometimes consumed with a dash of cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Working hard here to get my BGs more into line after Covid and I didnt even have it bad! breakfast today my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea.
Lunch was slice ham, corned beef and spoon of coleslaw with grated cheddar.
Supper will be panfried lamb chump chop with mushrooms.
Waiting for Boris to come on so now need a gin & soda!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 5.9 FBG 5.8 and again I'm back in the 4's during the day. It was another miserable day and the wind is whipping up too. At least the kids were able to have some fun as they were allowed to go to school in their Halloween outfits and the Parents Association produced goodie bags for every child. I'm amazed at the make up jobs some Mums managed to do. How do they manage it?
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC bread made into an egg mayo sandwich. I'm still enjoying being able to have a sandwich again.
L. Another TAG late afternoon after I took the boys home.
D. Iceland's wild shrimp with chilli & tomato. Additions for today were mushrooms, spinach, santini tomatoes, cauliflower rice and red curry paste. 2 squares Godiva.

Vertigo is still proving annoying @zauberflote. It took weeks to go last time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami. Edited to add: About 20g of the mandarine orange chocolate (sweetened with stevia and eryhritol).

Dinner: Two chicken drumsticks baked in low-carb barbeque sauce. About 150g of baba ghanoush. About 150g of cauliflower tabouleh. Some red wine.

@DJC3 -- Thought the tabouleh was very nice. The whole recipe hat about 35g of carbs (based on cronometer), but it is a huge portion (probably ten servings, so around 3.5g of carbs per serving).

Recipe:
-- a minced onion fried in three tablespoons of olive oil until soft
-- add one head of a medium grated cauliflower to the pan,
-- spice with a bit of cinnamon, a tablespoon of garlic-ginger paste, some salt and white pepper to taste,
-- (I also added half a teaspoon of erythritol as the original recipe called for dates)
-- remove grated cauliflower/onion from heat after about 6 minutes (cauliflower should still be crunchy).
-- add about 25g each of minced flat leave parsley, coriander (cilantro) and mint.
-- also add the juice of half a lemon plus the grated zest.
-- finally add the seeds of half a pomegranate.
Evening all.

@ziggy_w I don’t know what Brussels pate is either, but pate made from sprouts doesn’t sound very appealing.

A spread out OMAD today. Decent walk this morning followed by some retail therapy - waterproof trail shoes and some running socks from the ASICS Outlet, which just happens to be opposite the Hotel Chocolat outlet, so one or two little treats may have been bought too.

Dinner was extra thick double cream and almond butter followed by ribeye steak (two small ones) and a 35g bar of 75% supermilk chocolate which was surprisingly bitter.

Brussels Pate is just chicken liver pate: https://tastycraze.com/recipes/r-9909-Brussels_Pâté

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I have Boris and Chris Witty in my ears, I'll report we have just had a couple of curries, with onion bhaji, at halftime of the Italy v England rugby match. I'm stuffed!

This afternoon, I infused some strawberry vodka, and tomorrow the fruit will be "enrobed" (stolen concept from Hotel Chocolat) in 85% chocolate. Tomorrow I will also infuse some gin or vodka - haven't decided on that element - with cranberries, which I have already cooked a little, with some sweetener. The resulting boozy fruit will also be enrobed in chocolate.

These are theoretically experiments, with a view to bespoke, Christmas gifts.

If all else fails, it may mean I needn't be sober during Lockdown #2!

(As I only make very small batches when trying out new flavours, I'd have to up the production rate to achieve that! :) )

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m struggling as I’m working away from home and so living in a hotel for 4-5 days a week. Today I’ve had

Breakfast: Yoghurt, almonds, blueberries

Lunch: Cauliflower and cheddar soup

Dinner: Nando’s boneless thighs, salad, broccoli and halloumi

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal Walmart has not always carried groceries, but they have always carried sporting goods. They broke into groceries maybe 25(?) years ago to try to get a total monopoly on every single item you could need. Wonder if they have a "health food" section? Ha! Clearly you were sharing your chocolate almond bars with us, at a goodly social distance so you just had to finish ours for us! Much obliged!!
@DCUKMod Masha? Your restaurant mashed potatoes must be FAR superior to ours! MrZF's mother used to use a potato ricer for no lumps. When I hosted Thanksgiving I would use his ricer, specially for her, but otherwise not one bit!

@OzBlossom about 6 weeks ago the dish of brussels sprouts with blue cheese was introduced here. I do it with portobellos on the grill. Like your pizza, sort of!
@Mrs T 123 you are right about the relative blandness of almond butter-- I think almonds have a less aggressive flavor than peanuts.
@LaoDan Happy Birthday! If that is your daughter?-- she could be my niece's sister! The hot pot looks like loads of fun.
@ianpspurs we may have a language barrier here-- your tuna mayo may be my tuna salad? Can of tuna, pepper, mustard (dijon our choice), and mayonnaise to taste. Never mind any bread, macros, or analysis. I like the tuna with cheddar melted on top!
@ziggy_w I will PM you cos I'm still confused . I am SO sorry your husband hated the restaurant food!! What a champ he was to take you anyway!
@Goonergal I swear, if you visited me at my house, a Hotel Chocolat would pop up in the tennis courts across the street!!! And a Five Guys in the adjacent swimming pool!!
@PenguinMum on my phone screen view of the forum, your word "grated" is right above "panfried". I read "petrified lamb" and am cracking up here! A good antidote to whatever Boris may be saying....
@maglil55 I was swimming all over last night-- our barometric pressure dropped fast and far three nights ago, and yesterday climbed back to where it was, and now has kept climbing half again what it dropped. What do you want to bet weather like this affects every system in your body, including endocrine?
Welcome @Chriztopher ! Sorry you are stuck in that hotel. My brother has had the same problem as a commercial pilot trying to eat LC. He's got all his airports pegged as to where the best food is, but his hotels are about three-star, and usually on the outskirts of the city so only Mickey D's or the like. Ugh.
Bfast avocado, pecans, boiled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soy
Lunch cottage cheese after spoon, bowl, and finger licking of clandestine fudz...
Supper will have (I think) roasted green beans and chicken from the HelloFresh meal I think I'm going to make if I get enough practising done, plus probably spinach/hm dressing and flax crisps/soy. Otherwise I'll come up with something from the same old same old.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to oblige! I wouldn’t mind a swimming pool popping up here :)
If it works, can both of you pop over here to have a swimming pool, a Five Guys and a hotel chocolate magically appear across the street in my remote corner of the world? There's room enough, as the potatoes are in so the field across the street is ready for all that!

Had a very nice meal, something like this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1950#post-2287914, with added grilled bell pepper and different cheeses this time, and there's enough for at least 2 more days, even though the dogs and cats ate a generous portion as well :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yog, seeds, blueberries and cream
L: cooked by well-intentioned relative "I did low carb for us all" chickpea and root veg stew with couscous followed by apple and blackberries crumble. Managed to keep bg down by having only small amount and skipping the dessert. (Yes did come away hungry)
Mid afternoon, short lived but intense migraine
D: scrambled of eggs with leftover bacon, hame , courgette and pepper with a little cheese

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and packet of coconut bites
Dinner: chicken drumsticks, coleslaw, leafy salad and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

@zauberflote the concept of firearms even being available in a supermarket is quite mind boggling/scary and all sorts of other things.
@OzBlossom I’m also a cheese with cheese person. Not today, but it goes well with itself!

Today started out well food wise but has gone a bit downhill.

Lunch was 2 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages with some bacon wrapped halloumi fries. Delicious.
Then on a mid-afternoon stroll some almond butter and Lindt 90% found their way into my bag. Made up a batch of chocolate almond squares. They are very moreish. Amazingly there are still a few left.
Dinner was salami and chorizo with a bag of pork puffs.

Editing to say @maglil55 DGF have the carrot cake back in stock!
They sold out in 10 mins! They've employed another member of staff and got a bigger oven apparently.

Reactions: DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
If it works, can both of you pop over here to have a swimming pool, a Five Guys and a hotel chocolate magically appear across the street in my remote corner of the world? There's room enough, as the potatoes are in so the field across the street is ready for all that!

Had a very nice meal, something like this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1950#post-2287914, with added grilled bell pepper and different cheeses this time, and there's enough for at least 2 more days, even though the dogs and cats ate a generous portion as well :)

I'm game so long as the pool doesn't travel on the same plane as me! Also, I have a Costco bag of bell peppers I will roast soon but maybe only one tonight.