What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning.
Took my eye off the ball at lunchtime: broccoli and cheese soup (7g) 1 slice buttered LivLife bread (4g) and a Montezuma’s mini egg (1g) I didnt think about total carbs (it was twice what I normally have per meal) until checking at 2 hrs and being horrified by the >2 mmol reading. Lesson learned ( hopefully)
Dinner was Keta salmon fillet topped with Mayo and sesame seeds and baked. Courgette ribbons and green beans with it. St Agur and 2 glasses red afterwards.
@ianpspurs Mariah Carey??? Can’t beat Slade in my book.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning.
Took my eye off the ball at lunchtime: broccoli and cheese soup (7g) 1 slice buttered LivLife bread (4g) and a Montezuma’s mini egg (1g) I didnt think about total carbs (it was twice what I normally have per meal) until checking at 2 hrs and being horrified by the >2 mmol reading. Lesson learned ( hopefully)
Dinner was Keta salmon fillet topped with Mayo and sesame seeds and baked. Courgette ribbons and green beans with it. St Agur and 2 glasses red afterwards.
@ianpspurs Mariah Carey??? Can’t beat Slade in my book.
Salmon = v good. Slade? = be'ave treacle

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lunch of air-fried pork belly strips with my friend was great!
Evening meal was the same festive meal as the last two days, one more day to go and still tasty!

I also feel like the grocery shopping champion today! :)

First I encountered a driving vegetable seller, selling his veggies in every village. I asked for something good but inexpensive for the guinea pigs so he asked what they like (nice man!). I told him they love green stuff, as they're mainly getting carrots and beets this time of year. He offered heads of salad, so I took 3, and he said they'd have enough salad to last them for a week, upon which I answered I have 13 guinea pigs. And then he threw in another two heads and charged me only 1.50 euro's! (A head of salad is currently 65 cents at Aldi)

Then I got to Lidl, and first found their bell peppers are only 75 cents for 3 (usually 1.59) so the guinea pigs and I are now the proud owners of 18 bell peppers, plus the 7 I still had at home :hilarious:
Then I found out they sell stuff going out of date today for only 25 cents! Bought 2 fancy French cheeses (down from 3 euros a piece or so), they only start to taste good after they're past the date, and a pack of 3 luxury salami's (down from over 6 euros to 25 cents), which won't go bad any time soon either. :)

I guess there will be filled bell peppers with salami and fancy cheese for dinner in the near future :hungry:
And utterly spoilt guinea pigs :D

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch of air-fried pork belly strips with my friend was great!
Evening meal was the same festive meal as the last two days, one more day to go and still tasty!

I also feel like the grocery shopping champion today! :)

First I encountered a driving vegetable seller, selling his veggies in every village. I asked for something good but inexpensive for the guinea pigs so he asked what they like (nice man!). I told him they love green stuff, as they're mainly getting carrots and beets this time of year. He offered heads of salad, so I took 3, and he said they'd have enough salad to last them for a week, upon which I answered I have 13 guinea pigs. And then he threw in another two heads and charged me only 1.50 euro's! (A head of salad is currently 65 cents at Aldi)

Then I got to Lidl, and first found their bell peppers are only 75 cents for 3 (usually 1.59) so the guinea pigs and I are now the proud owners of 18 bell peppers, plus the 7 I still had at home :hilarious:
Then I found out they sell stuff going out of date today for only 25 cents! Bought 2 fancy French cheeses (down from 3 euros a piece or so), they only start to taste good after they're past the date, and a pack of 3 luxury salami's (down from over 6 euros to 25 cents), which won't go bad any time soon either. :)

I guess there will be filled bell peppers with salami and fancy cheese for dinner in the near future :hungry:
And utterly spoilt guinea pigs :D

Agree about cheeses reaching their best after the sell by date. Why have sell by date on cheese anyway?
Lucky Guinea pigs today.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Congratulations on the job offer! Yep the aldi small bars bars are so convenient and may be too handy - I always intend to just have half but then I end up having the full bar - I have bought more of the Lindtt 90% at Morisons tonight

@shelley262 cute avatar and looking forward to hearing/seeing your new bread - I may even make it myself

I don't think I posted yesterday - I was working to 7pm and then went to check in on my mum

11.30am - Yoghurt with flaxseed & goji berries, cinammon and raspberrries with a little soya cream on top. Mug of earl grey with small aldi bar

5.30pm - prawn cocktail & salmon with a little hollandaise sauce drizzled over the top with a large salad.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree about cheeses reaching their best after the sell by date. Why have sell by date on cheese anyway?
Lucky Guinea pigs today.
So people like we can get lucky by paying less and not having to try to wait for the cheese to ripen of course! Who doesn't deserve a bit of luck every once in a while :)

Tomorrow will be (very local) Guinea Pig Day, I got home late today.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one slice of bacon,egg and lc toast
Lunch cheese on one slice of lc toast
Pre dinner a few Brazil nuts
Dinner chicken curry with two gin and sodas followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream
@Mrs T 123 hoping to make new bread in the morning will post results I’m working on pc this weekend and like to have yeast and then bread proving in the background.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’m behind again.

Yesterday and today were both TMAD days.

Lunch yesterday was 2 pork belly strips air fried. Dinner was Nando’s. A portion of their nuts, halloumi and 5 wings.

Today’s lunch was 2 fried eggs with air fried streaky bacon and Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages.
Dinner was air fried chicken wings coated in salt and chilli oil followed by a small piece of cheese from the truckle picked up in Lidl earlier.

Editing to add the pics I forgot to upload.

9E270728-7D2F-413A-98EC-5FE11576036B.jpeg
CD90BCEC-6FAB-4E9C-A176-B41BA0FFDBBC.jpeg

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mixed day for food. 4.11 wake up behind a big mistake at dockey time. B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey: Hungry by then (11.00) CWCSFCS - last 2 Advent Calendar pralines and a coconut and macadamia Fatt Bar picked up by mistake - I don’t like coconut or Macadamia but I ate that - never again L: Tea and SB beef sandwich (£1.32 for cooked beef in sandwiches all week - good old Waitrose); Waitrose deli antipasti - big favourite; EM: Oxtail and lamb shank mishmash, sauteed sprouts and bacon, cheese, swede and celeriac mash in same pan. Vits. I avoid leftovers, they are usually pants but that wasn’t all that bad. Score draw?

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the above mean Santa will be visiting us all tonight?

It's a worry, I only put the sprouts on yesterday.
Sprouts are late on around your way then - October 20th is the mean date according to latest YouGov survey. Over 75s often start steaming them in August. Advent began in the fifth century when the Bishop Perpetuus directed that it start with St. Martin's Day on 11 November So I started then.:angelic:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Today started with boot camp which gave me the excuse for the now traditional bacon butty afterwards. 3 rashers in SLC roll. Coffee
Late lunch/ snack Aldi nut bar
Dinner was supposed to be sous vide topside joint. It had been incubating for 7 hrs and I was really looking forward to see if this method made topside acceptable.
Sudden family issue put paid to that and I only had time to grab the quickest sandwich - SLC roll with cream cheese, cold salmon fillet flaked and a trickle of chilli sauce. Not brilliant tbh, but better than nothing in the circumstances.
Panic over and ate a handful of almonds plus a DGF cake &cream

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:00 am breakfast: 2 soft boiled eggs with a 90 second mug bread cut into marmite soldiers to dip in.

Dinner: h/m lamb kofta with feta cheese salsa and side salad. Some of my cauliflower cheese thingy as I though it was hungry, but it was very filling and I shouldn't have eaten as much as I did. Washing it down with a glass of malbec

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
He offered heads of salad, so I took 3, and he said they'd have enough salad to last them for a week, upon which I answered I have 13 guinea pigs. And then he threw in another two heads and charged me only 1.50 euro's! (A head of salad is currently 65 cents at Aldi)
Have been pondering this all day, knowing something was off.
It suddenly dawned on me it's heads of lettuce, not salad! You can make a salad from lettuce, but the plain thing is not a head of salad! In Dutch both lettuce and salad are called 'sla' which makes translating confusing :wacky:
Still, next time, feel free to tell me, everyone, and save me from a mental earworm like this! (Especially @zauberflote and other language lovers! :hilarious:)

Today was the 4th day of my festive meal, so not as festive anymore. Still, 3 days of eating feeling like it's your birthday on the same meal is a big win, even if you get somewhat bored by the fourth day :)
Tomorrow will be something with bell peppers, salami and fancy French cheese. Not sure what it will be yet but it sounds good already :hungry:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Missed posting a couple of days -- a bit busy with work.

@shelley262 -- I also put a bit potato fiber in my DD keto rolls, but only 1/8 of a cup, the remainder is mostly oat fiber and lupin flour, with a bit of almond flour. As for thickening sauces, I haven't tried potato fiber yet -- let us know how it goes. After having tried a lot of thickeners, I find locust bean gum/powder works best.

@DJC3 -- Congrats on your sous vide lamb -- it looks to die for. Also thanks for the commiserations re recording hours and hours of lectures (actually sometimes also feel sorry for myself).

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two tarte flambes with creme fraiche, bell pepper, red onion, turkey salami and cheddar using DD keto roll dough flattened using an icecream waffle makes on sale at Lidl.

Dinner: Scallops. Romaine lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and crushed chicken cracklings. Too much red wine.

Later: About 50g of the brisket cooked in lc barbecue sauce.

We will be going into a hard lockdown in Germany probably starting next Wednesday and this should last at least a month -- not looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been pondering this all day, knowing something was off.
It suddenly dawned on me it's heads of lettuce, not salad! You can make a salad from lettuce, but the plain thing is not a head of salad! In Dutch both lettuce and salad are called 'sla' which makes translating confusing :wacky:
Still, next time, feel free to tell me, everyone, and save me from a mental earworm like this! (Especially @zauberflote and other language lovers! :hilarious:)

Today was the 4th day of my festive meal, so not as festive anymore. Still, 3 days of eating feeling like it's your birthday on the same meal is a big win, even if you get somewhat bored by the fourth day :)
Tomorrow will be something with bell peppers, salami and fancy French cheese. Not sure what it will be yet but it sounds good already :hungry:

Does your word "sla" have any connection to the Americo/English "slaw"?