What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all
5.2 for me bgs and 1.3ketones
I’m delighted as out all evening at friends cheese and wine do - stuck to two red wines but did nibble for England all evening various cheeses and low carb crispbreads (made and taken by me)
Have a good day everyone I’ve got some work to do ready for a meeting next week so grey skies a bonus for me if stuck indoors.

Good morning all
5.2 for me bgs and 1.3ketones
I’m delighted as out all evening at friends cheese and wine do - stuck to two red wines but did nibble for England all evening various cheeses and low carb crispbreads (made and taken by me)
Have a good day everyone I’ve got some work to do ready for a meeting next week so grey skies a bonus for me if stuck indoors.
Just read your signature you have done amazing !

Reactions: Cumberland

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...I didn't just fall off the wagon last night...I fell under the bus too...disgraced myself by eating chips & baked beans with my gorgeous Cumberland sausages...followed by jelly (low sugar) & ice cream...bizarrely I woke to a 5.9 (phew)...to assuage my guilt & get back on the righteous path...a Nature Valley Protein [email protected] carbs for breakfast:rolleyes:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.8 at 09.45. I was also awake at 6am but decided to lie on because it was Saturday and cold! Yesterday all I ate was
Breakfast: Flaxseed roll and butter, Tea.
Lunch: cheddar (small amount) lettuce, tomato and cucumber all on 9inch plate.
No snacks
Supper: 1 pan fried seabass fillet, tenderstem broccoli. 2 squares 85% chocand handful walnuts. Half bottle dry rose wine. (Tested before bed 5.3).
I just cant think any of that is excessive but if I try missing meals (IF) I get lightheaded.
Anyone got ideas? Maybe Like @ianpspurs the meter isnt my friend
Anyway have a good Saturday everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.8 at 09.45. I was also awake at 6am but decided to lie on because it was Saturday and cold! Yesterday all I ate was
No snacks
Supper: 1 pan fried seabass fillet, tenderstem broccoli. 2 squares 85% chocand handful walnuts. Half bottle dry rose wine. (Tested before bed 5.3).
I just cant think any of that is excessive but if I try missing meals (IF) I get lightheaded.
@PenguinMum My heart would go out to you were it not for the fact that I am a heartless sociopath on Saturdays.:angelic:
I agree that food list doesn't seem like a wild carb orgy. I have observed that alcohol can give a bounce next day at times but people find it can also lower fbg, Presumably, you know how all this averages out and how your body performs best. A one off, high or low is a one off. I have no bromides but what can't be cured must be endured meter or no:arghh:

Reactions: Canvaspic

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No snacks
Hi @PenguinMum it could be that woman Dawn Phenomenon:rolleyes: with you testing a little later:)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone :)

4.7 today

Looking a bit grey this morning but dry currently at least, hope it stays fine, family visitors from Tasmania are touring Scotland at the moment and are intending to visit mum today :) (at 93 I believe she's the family elder ).

home late yesterday and so ate later than usual then was tired so I didn't go for a walk, woke very early, went back to bed then slept in this morning,

I definitely think that I feel more myself if I have a walk every day, even a short one. I'm going out just now for a bit of a walk before I make myself presentable to be on view to the visitors ;)

Enjoy your weekend :)

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. 5.2 this morn. Rain here, home gym for me today.
@ianpspurs, I agree with the sentiment re whats normal or appropriate behavior in means vs ends. In the moment, its impossible to know what is right path. Time may reveal some truths. I do think that if the nhs and other health bodies strived for hba1c in the mid 30s, ultimately it would save money in the long run.
Off my high horse. Its Dads 80th today. Family flying in for the bash. Hope everyone is well.have a great weekend.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who owned a teasmade, I've just read an article on them.

A 6.0 for me this morning.

Well folks September is a really nice month especially when you have a koffy in hand with still reasonable temperatures outside. Enjoy.
Have a good day folks, I shall be dodging the slings and arrows of married life.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs and @Terrytiddy for the love and support. I am going to have some wine tonight with my stonking curry (road tested my no 2 son last night who said too much cardamon, wait till he’s cooking every day!). Then no tipple for rest of week and off to Kent the next week. The only comfort from my high 6 today is I checked meter less than 2 hrs after supper at my bedtime so 5.3 was a good no. We eat at 8pm and thats just how it is here.
That DawnP is definitely off my Christmas list! Thanks guys.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
ny of that is excessive but if I try missing meals (IF) I get lightheaded.
Anyway have a good Saturday everyone.[/QUOTE]
Everyone is different right? Well for me its taken around 2 years, maybe more of modifying what I eat and how much activity and sleep / rest I get ...I'm now mainly sub six as a fasting number and haven't seen a seven in more than a year at any time of day , even after meals. ...... so I'm developing a mindset which says that in some bodies , and mine seems to be one of them, its a long term thing. .....ps I do spend time every day researching the health aspects of diet / nutrition... Now I'm fairly confident I'm heading in the right direction but I'm sure what I dont know exceeds what I know.... Hope that makes sense Best thoughts....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone is different right? Well for me its taken around 2 years, maybe more of modifying what I eat and how much activity and sleep / rest I get ...I'm now mainly sub six as a fasting number and haven't seen a seven in more than a year at any time of day , even after meals. ...... so I'm developing a mindset which says that in some bodies , and mine seems to be one of them, its a long term thing. .....ps I do spend time every day researching the health aspects of diet / nutrition... Now I'm fairly confident I'm heading in the right direction but I'm sure what I dont know exceeds what I know.... Hope that makes sense Best thoughts....
That really made me think of this
Donald Rumsfeld. There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.
No offence but it really hits the spot with what I feel about all this:angelic:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ny of that is excessive but if I try missing meals (IF) I get lightheaded.
Everyone is different right? Well for me its taken around 2 years, maybe more of modifying what I eat and how much activity and sleep / rest I get ...I'm now mainly sub six as a fasting number and haven't seen a seven in more than a year at any time of day , even after meals. ...... so I'm developing a mindset which says that in some bodies , and mine seems to be one of them, its a long term thing. .....ps I do spend time every day researching the health aspects of diet / nutrition... Now I'm fairly confident I'm heading in the right direction but I'm sure what I dont know exceeds what I know.... Hope that makes sense Best thoughts....[/QUOTE]
Thanks for sharing Orson. I think I am peeved because I had started to see consistently good FBG a couple of months ago but I think I am just being unreasonable or unrealistic. The one thing we all agree on is the unpredictability of Diabetes and like you say individuality. Oh well onwards and hopefully downwards! Have a great day.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs and @Terrytiddy for the love and support. I am going to have some wine tonight with my stonking curry (road tested my no 2 son last night who said too much cardamon, wait till he’s cooking every day!). Then no tipple for rest of week and off to Kent the next week. The only comfort from my high 6 today is I checked meter less than 2 hrs after supper at my bedtime so 5.3 was a good no. We eat at 8pm and thats just how it is here.
That DawnP is definitely off my Christmas list! Thanks guys.
Hi @PenguinMum enjoy your wine and curry tonight think if had a too cardomonny taste I’d balance it out with a pinch of extra cumin. I’m not keen though on too much cardamom which is good as my youngest sons partner made these amazing little cardamom sweet biscuits for OHs birthday party and they sat winking at me for several days!
I know your health situation is a bit more complex than most and think you’re doing absolutely brilliantly. The fact that you are keeping your 2 hour post food readings low is wonderful. Fbgs are a strange beast and best not used to judge your progress the key is those post meal numbers in terms of effects on your body. My mum at 87 is a diabetic and has managed to maintain her hbaca1 in the 40s with Metformin and the fact that she eats very little albeit highish carb. She has never tested her bloods and her DN always congratulates her on her excellent control etc however she has now very limited kidney function it’s just deteriorated over the years. I believe she’s probably been having high post meal readings which are known to carry a risk of complications. Since she started changing her small meals a bit more to fats and protein rather thAn filling up on high carbs her kidney deterioration seems to have stopped where it is. Coincidence? Or evidence that post meal peaks seem to be key to prevention of complications? Sorry I’ve chatted on - once I get going! But seriously you’re doing great girl keep up and at them.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That really made me think of this
Donald Rumsfeld. There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.
No offence but it really hits the spot with what I feel about all this:angelic:
Wise words. Not at all like the current WH encumbent who seems to think his primary job is to be an entertainer. What a time of drought for inspirational leaders everywhere.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wise words. Not at all like the current WH encumbent who seems to think his primary job is to be an entertainer. What a time of drought for inspirational leaders everywhere.
Ah, but Rummy did also seem keen on bombing places back to the stone age just as much as Curtis LeMay. Plenty of contracts for rebuilding afterwards - allegedly:arghh: To bring it back on track slightly, diagnosis is often the shock and awe some of us need to get on our trotters and deal with this mad riddle.

Last edited: