Weekly weigh in - Fridays

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did do a glucose tolerance test, and it reached 11.3 , the test was repeated a year later and it was basically flat, it was 6.5 after an hour and 6 after 2 hours. I have been batteling a range of infectious, and it was that more than anything else that we ended on the diagnosis of prediabates. Thats the tricky thing about diabetes, the better informed and proactive the patient the less the numbers are going to be. Dozens of people on this site have haved their numbers. I could probably muster up a hba1c of 50 if i did the opposite to what i do now. Eat loads of carbs and no excercise.
Well done on getting such good results on your glucose tolerance test afer only a year. I don't believe I've ever had one.
Oh I do agree with you. When I was diagnosed in 2005 I didn't know much about it. I was told to lose weight, and I did, and came off all my meds, but the morning after diagnosis all I dared eat was a cucumber. I was that scared. Now I've gone very low carb, and within 1-2 weeks I'd just about halved my BG, according to my own meter, and after losing only 1-2 kg, so I suspect that for me it has more to do with my carb intake than my actual weight. Still, I know that losing weight will only work to my advantage, so I soldier on.
As for exercise ... Sigh. Twice I've been known to join a gym with all good intentions, but I get so bored. I'll show up a few times, and then keep paying my monthly fees till I scold myself and tell me to be more realistic and stop paying for something I never use. I prefer walking, but not purposelesly. I know exercising is important for many reasons other than weight loss.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have been slowly approaching an Overweight BMI instead of an Obese one. Last week I was 0.4kg away. This week I have lost another 0.1kg. However I have reached Overweight this week because I had an accurate height measurement done at a Research Study yesterday and I’m one and 1/2 centimetres taller than my GP record says! :joyful:
So I am no longer Obese for the first time in around 23 years!
Started 115kg 9th May’17 (BMI 43.5)
Today 78.3kg 8th June’18 (BMI 29.6) :happy:
Total lost = 36.7kg/5 stone 11lb

Wow - what fantastic results - you have done an amazing job at getting your weight down - I will be overjoyed when I get to overweight - I had a similar BMI to your start one last year, the heaviest I have ever been. You must feel so much better for getting 5 stone off - literally a weight off your shoulders.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow - what fantastic results - you have done an amazing job at getting your weight down - I will be overjoyed when I get to overweight - I had a similar BMI to your start one last year, the heaviest I have ever been. You must feel so much better for getting 5 stone off - literally a weight off your shoulders.
Indeed a weight off my shoulders, hips, knees and feet too!
You’re well on your way too. Well done x

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on getting such good results on your glucose tolerance test afer only a year. I don't believe I've ever had one.
Oh I do agree with you. When I was diagnosed in 2005 I didn't know much about it. I was told to lose weight, and I did, and came off all my meds, but the morning after diagnosis all I dared eat was a cucumber. I was that scared. Now I've gone very low carb, and within 1-2 weeks I'd just about halved my BG, according to my own meter, and after losing only 1-2 kg, so I suspect that for me it has more to do with my carb intake than my actual weight. Still, I know that losing weight will only work to my advantage, so I soldier on.
As for exercise ... Sigh. Twice I've been known to join a gym with all good intentions, but I get so bored. I'll show up a few times, and then keep paying my monthly fees till I scold myself and tell me to be more realistic and stop paying for something I never use. I prefer walking, but not purposelesly. I know exercising is important for many reasons other than weight loss.
Any weight loss that i can attribute to excercise, i can put down to walking. Of course diet is always more important and powerful. But the long walks worked for me in a psychological way. After putting in a couple of hours walking, i didnt want to eat back the gains i had hard won through excercise. Also it does tons for your mood. Resistance excercises also good for BG and toning up, harder to stick with it though. Walking is a fairly straightforward excercise you can incorporate into your daily routine, I would miss it if i cant get a walk in at some part of the day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m coming to the conclusion that my body is happy where it is.

58.8kg this morning vs 58.7kg last Friday. Over the past couple of months have varied between the lowest point of 57.9 and a highest of 59.7. However body far percentage is down and yesterday I discovered that a pair of trousers I bought in March that only just fitted are now too big. So it seems the scales are not the best tool for me right now.

Off on holiday next Thursday so will just relax and hope to come home in the same range.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone!

A big jump up for me this week:

22/06/2018: 115.4 kilos / 254.4lb / 18st 2.4lb / BMI 37.6
A lot of salt yesterday at a BBQ, water retention (oops).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

58.8kg this morning vs 58.7kg last Friday. Over the past couple of months have varied between the lowest point of 57.9 and a highest of 59.7. However body far percentage is down and yesterday I discovered that a pair of trousers I bought in March that only just fitted are now too big. So it seems the scales are not the best tool for me right now. Maybe the Pilates amongst other things helping with the all important middle reduction?

Off on holiday next Thursday so will just relax and hope to come home in the same range.
Sounds excellent about the trousers @Goonergal well done you. It really isn’t all about the scales which are a low reading anyway overall and gives you low bmi.

I’m identical weight to last Friday too at a still low 8 stone 13 pounds /56.6 kg despite my attempts this last week to put a bit back on! The body seems to make its own mind up about what the scales say when you eat keto! I’ve relaxed my carbs more up towards 30 with more veg but checked my ketones which are still happily motoring at 2.6 despite the addition of more food and veg. I’m really happy with keto though and not planning to change as long as I can hopefully now maintain rather than lose any more.
Bet your looking forward to your holiday - anywhere exciting?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone!

A big jump up for me this week:

22/06/2018: 115.4 kilos / 254.4lb / 18st 2.4lb / BMI 37.6
A lot of salt yesterday at a BBQ, water retention (oops).
Great that you are able to see that weight loss isn’t always linear and that different things can be going on at different times. I’ve always found that when I’ve added in things that retain water - this happens but good news is the following day especially if you drink a lot of fluid it tends to redress itself. You also do need a fair amount of salt on this way of eating too.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
74.38 kgs today as opposed to 72.8 on Tuesday for official weigh in. The weigh in came at the end of a fast and today comes after relaxing my diet slightly so real number is probably somewhere in the middle. Both would be down from December official weigh in of 76 kgs so that is fine. @Goonergal in a perverse way the trouser story is excellent news showing how well what you are doing is working. @shelley262 pleased to hear changing dietary routine has had no bad effects on weight or ketones.
It does seem as if the body tries to find some kind of natural resting point. Mine seems to have retained everything I have eaten since Tuesday in an attempt to stay around 73.5 - 74kgs.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No weight loss for me this week. My mini break to Cornwall involved tasty cooked breakfasts and easy on the hoof snacks of PhD bars which have too many calories compared to my usual diet :(
Started 115kg 9th May’17
Today 78.1kg 22nd June’18
Total lost = 36.9kg/5 stone 11 1/2lb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

58.8kg this morning vs 58.7kg last Friday. Over the past couple of months have varied between the lowest point of 57.9 and a highest of 59.7. However body far percentage is down and yesterday I discovered that a pair of trousers I bought in March that only just fitted are now too big. So it seems the scales are not the best tool for me right now.

Goonergal - You are finding exactly as I did when I got very slim - that my body shape sort of lagged a bit behind the scales. One day I got up and my column shape (i.e. not too much of a waist) definitely had changed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds excellent about the trousers @Goonergal well done you. It really isn’t all about the scales which are a low reading anyway overall and gives you low bmi.

I’m identical weight to last Friday too at a still low 8 stone 13 pounds /56.6 kg despite my attempts this last week to put a bit back on! The body seems to make its own mind up about what the scales say when you eat keto! I’ve relaxed my carbs more up towards 30 with more veg but checked my ketones which are still happily motoring at 2.6 despite the addition of more food and veg. I’m really happy with keto though and not planning to change as long as I can hopefully now maintain rather than lose any more.
Bet your looking forward to your holiday - anywhere exciting?

Hi @shelley262 thanks. Hopefully you’ll find the right combinations to make sure you don’t keep losing - can’t imagine having that problem!

Very much looking forward to my holiday. Off to San Francisco, San Diego and New York. Haven’t been to the first two; New York is an obsession! Bought some new trousers to replace the others this afternoon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal - You are finding exactly as I did when I got very slim - that my body shape sort of lagged a bit behind the scales. One day I got up and my column shape (i.e. not too much of a waist) definitely had changed.

Yes, it’s very interesting. Used to read about body shape changing despite what the scales said and never believed it....

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 thanks. Hopefully you’ll find the right combinations to make sure you don’t keep losing - can’t imagine having that problem!

Very much looking forward to my holiday. Off to San Francisco, San Diego and New York. Haven’t been to the first two; New York is an obsession! Bought some new trousers to replace the others this afternoon.
Wow I’ve been to NY and SF but not San Diego very envious I’m especially fond of SF very fond memories of a family holiday there. We stayed in wonderful hotel with view of Golden Gate Bridge from our room and loved our week there so much. Loved the lot amazingly different from other places in America as is NY but much much more laid back. It was a time while our youngest was in recovery from serious illness and so a thankful and happy time.
I can’t afford to keep replacing clothes even though all my 10s are so loose - especially trousers and now really all need replacing with 8s and have got a couple of pairs but keep thinking I may put a pound or two back on! I was half a stone heavier in March/ April at what I though was my target ideal weight so got all my new size 10 clothes! It’s harder I think because of my cholesterol issues but am trying to keep my healthy Mediterranean type fats a bit higher.....