What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 I have the no added sugar Benecol yoghurt drinks 2.9-3.2g carbs depending on flavour, I take enough tablets already!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: ham with cauliflower, broccoli and mushroon salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blackberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: coconut and lemongrass chicken stir fry following by Breyers choc ice.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with heavy cream, breakfast.
Chicken salad heavy on the mayo with a tiny bit of celery on woven bacon, dinner.
Macadamia nuts, snack

Trying really hard to have as few carbs as possible when at work, where I usually fall of the wagon.

Reactions: shelley262 and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wetherspoons breaky sitting on a sunny balcony with a coffee and 3 rashers bacon 2 fried eggs and treated myself to a sausage as my weight dropped 2lbs under where I want to be. My appetite is no where near what it was before LCHF woe. Never feel hunger. I had to make myself eat more today. Don't want to lose any more weight. Dinner was lots of veg with chicken. Preceded by 2 egg mayo (never have starters) and cracker and brie with nuts afterwards with a glass of wine. Supper (rarely have supper) an Adonis bar. Weight back up this morning by 2lbs so good result all round (5.2 FBS)

Reactions: jayney27

Geranium72

Hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather- been stuck in the office all day!
B- strawberries with double cream
Snack - 4/5 mixed nuts (hazel, almond, walnut)
L - left over lamb ragu with courgetti feta and mint (Tom kerridge low carb recipe)
Tea- steak , a small portion roast butternut squash, green veg of some kind
And definitely a gin and diet tonic and a glass of wine to celebrate the end of the working week!
Just on b vitamins I’ve started taking B12 , Folic acid and vitamin d as a blood test said I was low on them . Just a Holland and Barrett type. Will repeat bloods in mid September to see what effect low carb and supplements have. Interesting that it might help with cholesterol too - mine is in normal ranges but would like to improve my ratio

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The working week is done, thank goodness, it’s been hot in my office this week, I love the warmth and sunshine though so not really complaining, would just be nice not to have to work full time so I could enjoy it.

@DJC3 and @maglil55 the lo dough was a success, as mentioned yesterday I thought I would try it 2 ways, there isn’t a great deal of taste, if any, however the texture was ok, if I’m honest I prefer fat head pizza base but for convenience and quickness it was great, and it was a joy to open my lunch box today to find a wrap. I could make sandwiches as I have found low carb bread that I like but a wrap seems a bit more exciting somehow. I agree that the price is steep but I have just ordered 6 packs to keep for lazy days and when I fancy a change.

Good day numbers wise today too, in the 5’s all day highest 5.9 after a FBG of 5.3 this is normal for me to creep up as my day starts, lowest was 5.1 which was just before my dinner an hour ago, will update for the 2 hr reading to see if the lo dough pizza had an impact, it was minimal at lunch time, 5.4 to 5.7

B remaining 2 halloumi thingies
L lo dough wrap spread with blue cheese mayo dressing, salad leaves, peppers, gherkin slices and pork loin slices, portion of chocolate almond nuts
Snack Adonis blonde with a small bullet proof coffee when I got home
D lo dough spread with a smear of tomato purée, tuna, onion and mozzarella, sprinkling of oregano and a side of salad, drizzled with mayo

Attachments

• 7A28E87F-6D5D-4FA5-9553-8AF8D6E81A23.jpeg
    7A28E87F-6D5D-4FA5-9553-8AF8D6E81A23.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 4D912325-4A7D-4457-9AD7-AF8C51609B8C.jpeg
    4D912325-4A7D-4457-9AD7-AF8C51609B8C.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 432

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't set out to have an OMAD day but I think I have listened to my body and that is how it has ended up or will end up. Perhaps I am learning - who knows? Scales suggested I needed fluid more than food initially. I was hungry by lunchtime at 14.00 hrs so ate well. By evening I was still feeling full so just drank some more.
OMAD details
Avocado, Manchego and Buffalo rib salad with black olives, garlic cloves and slices of marinated shallot ; ACV and olive oil dressing; chia seeds and psyllium husk powder sprinkled liberally
I had lots of tea both assam for breakfast (3 pints) and lemon green along with water and Waitrose coffee with soy @ 12.30.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all looks like lovely weekend ahead and just about to go out watering in the garden. My strawberries are amazing this year I’m still picking about half a colander a day and prob about another week to go!last winter and this spring have been giving them our coffee grounds every day from my French press and wonder if it’s helped? All those antioxidants ! Hope it works the same with the filter coffee grounds! I’ve also started to add in my green tealeaves to the raised beds.
Breakfast one boiled egg and slice LC bread and coffee with inulin
Lunch mackerel with five LC seeded crispbreads followed by choc olive oil cake with a couple of teaspoons of onken biopot set yoghurt ( no fage locally but this is only 3.5 g carb per 100g so only a bit higher)
Afternoon two tea pots of green tea brewed with added fresh garden mint.
Dinner beef stir fry using 30g of bean spaghetti for noodles followed by strawberries and two desertspoons of onken yoghurt with one large glass of red wine - it was end of bottle and end of the week!
Out to big 60th Birthday BBQ tomorrow evening so I will be carb dodging! Prob report back on Sunday as likely to be a late night.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up very early to give my daughter a lift, so had a few extra hours this morning and did some cooking - DD bread rolls, DD seedy crispbread ( thanks for recommendation @shelley262 ) homemade mayo with the spare egg yolks from the rolls and finally coconut and macadamia squares.

B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee and cream

Mid morning a handful of pecan nuts and a seedy cracker almost fresh from the oven.

L: DD roll filled with homemade mayo, avocado and the leftover 1/2 chicken breast I didnt eat yesterday.
Then a small bowl of a plain soya yoghurt from M&S- only 1g carb /100ml so thought I’d give it a go. I think it’s an aquired taste I haven’t quite aquired yet but I’ll persevere a bit longer.

D: Cod with melting Gruyere, spinach and mushrooms. I found this recipe in an old Gary Rhodes cookery book, there were quite a lot of low carb dishes in it when I looked closely. I don’t think he’d intended that - they were just meant to be simple and delicious.
One of the coconut and macadamia squares for pud.

Glad the Lo dough wraps were good @jayney27 I hoped mine would arrive today but after making the rolls etc I don’t really need more bread type things. Good thing they have a long shelf life.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Up very early to give my daughter a lift, so had a few extra hours this morning and did some cooking - DD bread rolls, DD seedy crispbread ( thanks for recommendation @shelley262 ) homemade mayo with the spare egg yolks from the rolls and finally coconut and macadamia squares.

B: scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado. Coffee and cream

Mid morning a handful of pecan nuts and a seedy cracker almost fresh from the oven.

L: DD roll filled with homemade mayo, avocado and the leftover 1/2 chicken breast I didnt eat yesterday.
Then a small bowl of a plain soya yoghurt from M&S- only 1g carb /100ml so thought I’d give it a go. I think it’s an aquired taste I haven’t quite aquired yet but I’ll persevere a bit longer.

D: Cod with melting Gruyere, spinach and mushrooms. I found this recipe in an old Gary Rhodes cookery book, there were quite a lot of low carb dishes in it when I looked closely. I don’t think he’d intended that - they were just meant to be simple and delicious.
One of the coconut and macadamia squares for pud.

Glad the Lo dough wraps were good @jayney27 I hoped mine would arrive today but after making the rolls etc I don’t really need more bread type things. Good thing they have a long shelf life.
Hi @DJC3 sounds like you have had a great foody day, apart from the yoghurt. I’m tempted to make the DD rolls and the crisp breads, I do more cooking now than I did when my girls were young. :happy:

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: small portion of stir fry left from last night followed by Greek yoghurt and an Adonis bar
Late afternoon: phd bar and black coffee
Dinner: cold roast chicken salad followed by strawberries and Oppo ice cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 and @maglil55 the lo dough was a success, as mentioned yesterday I thought I would try it 2 ways, there isn’t a great deal of taste, if any, however the texture was ok, if I’m honest I prefer fat head pizza base but for convenience and quickness it was great, and it was a joy to open my lunch box today to find a wrap. I could make sandwiches as I have found low carb bread that I like but a wrap seems a bit more exciting somehow. I agree that the price is steep but I have just ordered 6 packs to keep for lazy days and when I fancy a change.

OK that's enough for me to order it too. I'm not too bothered about the lack of taste as the fillings sort that. Texture is the thing though. @jayney27 did you consider griddling the lo dough before filling it? Seems like it is a good standby for the store cupboard.
Just hunting at the moment for a keto/low carb flaky (or puff) pastry recipe if there is such a thing. I know the Fathead one as I've made the chicken pot pie a few times. It's tasty enough but it's not pastry! Anyone know one that is pastry like (savoury not sweet)?

Reactions: ianpspurs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Filter coffee provided you buy old fashioned filter paper traps the oils so less LDL raising oils - well I think so as it did make a difference.
I would certainly love to lower my LDL, but I drink a lot less coffee than you, and the only time I tried filter coffee the taste was disappointing to me. I'd be as happy with Instant! Plus the filter papers seem very expensive, and rather wasteful. Do you really achieve the taste you like? BTW I recently tried giving up real coffee altogether, but that didn't last long! My theory is that eating very low carb we deprive ourselves of variety and a lot of pleasures, even though double cream is an important compensation, so it's important to cling to the ones that are left.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would certainly love to lower my LDL, but I drink a lot less coffee than you, and the only time I tried filter coffee the taste was disappointing to me. I'd be as happy with Instant! Plus the filter papers seem very expensive, and rather wasteful. Do you really achieve the taste you like? BTW I recently tried giving up real coffee altogether, but that didn't last long! My theory is that eating very low carb we deprive ourselves of variety and a lot of pleasures, even though double cream is an important compensation, so it's important to cling to the ones that are left.
Hi yes love the filter coffee. Use a strong coffee and really think flavour is similar. I really can’t drink instant so very happy with this solution. Re filter papers they are unbleached ones I buy and currently adding to compost as hoping they are biodegradable!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
My Accucheck machine broke down 3 days ago. I used it for one year.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 days behind!
now i have to try and remember...

Wed:
Baked salmon?
Feta chicken?

Thur:
baked salmon with jerk mayo
60g honey roasted peanuts (caught out before chiro appt, and needed something to stop a long slow drift into hypo territory. the nuts did the job perfectly.
a mixed grill. not as good as the last one, but still v nice. left the tom, peas, mushroom and chips. one blob Belgium choc icecream, full sugar, but nicer than i was expecting. Libre showed max bg reading at 7.3 which I took with gratitude.

Fri:
salami crisps with cream cheese and 30g cashews
instant pot lamb tagine. delicious. used a pre-prepped spice mix, but will do it myself next time, and subbed the apricots for half the amount of prunes since they are less sweet. mr B had cauli rice instead of cous cous.
a small, intense, late night LC hot choc. thought it would keep me awake, but thankfully it didn't

Today:
10am last of the baked salmon with jerk mayo
4pm pesto feta chicken
7pm tagine (if necessary), otherwise just some goatsmilk yog

the last few days i have been trying to stick to drinking water.
problem is that Inever drink enough then.
it is a fine line, and I may hav to introduce more flavour to dink enough in this weather.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes love the filter coffee. Use a strong coffee and really think flavour is similar.
That's reassuring. I suppose I shouldn't be too influenced by one bad experience. After all, I have had disappointing coffee made in a cafetière.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re filter papers they are unbleached ones I buy and currently adding to compost as hoping they are biodegradable!
Well done! I'm sure they are compostable. After all, paper comes from wood, and even chunks of wood will rot down given long enough.

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
OK that's enough for me to order it too. I'm not too bothered about the lack of taste as the fillings sort that. Texture is the thing though. @jayney27 did you consider griddling the lo dough before filling it? Seems like it is a good standby for the store cupboard.
Just hunting at the moment for a keto/low carb flaky (or puff) pastry recipe if there is such a thing. I know the Fathead one as I've made the chicken pot pie a few times. It's tasty enough but it's not pastry! Anyone know one that is pastry like (savoury not sweet)?
@maglil55 on the packaging they do suggest you can grill or fry the dough so maybe that would add some flavour but I think if the fillings or toppings are tasty it’s not too bad, I enjoyed both my versions of it yesterday x

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon just a quick post, I am just having a pit stop, out with my partner who is looking for a new van, having a coffee, momentary lapse of concentration and ordered latte, doh, not the reason for the post though, just wanted to let those of you who enjoy Adonis bars know they have a new variety, turmeric orange brazil nut, lovely

Attachments

• D58435EB-929C-4228-87C1-5576EBBE3C76.jpeg
    D58435EB-929C-4228-87C1-5576EBBE3C76.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 391
Reactions: maglil55