What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Of the 10 there were 3 diabetics. Myself and 2 other PPG members. They had afternoon tea. I tried to pick the brains of DJ (diabetic john) next to me. How long he had been t2d (years), whether he was on meds or not (just been doubled to 2 in the morning 2 in the evening), does he eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes, (yes to all, he lives alone and goes through a sliced loaf in a week!). The salad was easy to digest, that info wasn't!!!

Interesting and takes me back to my initial diabetes awareness course; lots of repeat attenders on medication, one guzzling coke throughout, and run by two enormously overweight “professionals .”
In the book that I am currently reading, I came across this line; “Life doesn’t have the problem. You do.”
I suppose that for us, on this forum, we have embraced our own responsibility and are doing something about it. Tiny changes, over time, give results.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today, grandaughter and hubby day. And what a beautiful bright day it is. Breaky out then a park. She loves nothing more. And hubby loves a slide and swing!!!

I had a lovely afternoon tea/salad yesterday with other PPG members/doctors. I managed to speak directly to a Dr who asked me how I had lost weight and dealt with my t2d. Low carb high healthy fat. He listened!!! I was delighted. The Dr who thrust his 'don't confuse my medical degree with your Google' cup at me and hubby was sitting down the other end of the table which is just as well as I may just have poured the coffee into his lap when topping people up saying 'Google that one'!!!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across this line; “Life doesn’t have the problem. You do.”

I suppose that for us, on this forum,
WE have embraced our own responsibility and are doing something about it.

Tiny changes, over time, give results.

Nailed it.....BRAVO ..APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE.....<standing ovation of one..at the moment ;) )

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. This morning on waking I was 8.4 by the time I'd gone down for my cuppa it was 10.4!! When I went to bed it was 5.4. I am 4 days into using the Libre sensor and my levels through the day have been between 5 and 6 which is fine for me. I eat under 20g of carbs per day and don't usually eat after 8.30pm and I take my Lantus and Metformin before bed, usually about 10.30pm. I am not having night hypos either. I have increased my nightime Lantus by 2 units last night but still high this morning. I'm nervous of taking insulin in case it plummets later and I will have to eat carbs. Any advice guys. I've done some online reading and apart from eating some cheese or drinking some vinegar before bed there doesn't seem to be any info. Cheers.

Hi @jillsymes66, I am also using the Libra sensors, do you also have the app on your phone? I find it easier to read the graph and you can set targets.
One thing that I do is look at the graph to give me an indication of what went on during sleep.
Your reading in the morning is but a snapshot and your 8.4 followed by a 10.4 may indicate a rise trend. It could have been lower if you had taken a reading earlier.
For instance, at 0600 this morning my reading was 5.2, at 0900 it was up to 6.5.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting and takes me back to my initial diabetes awareness course; lots of repeat attenders on medication, one guzzling coke throughout, and run by two enormously overweight “professionals .”
In the book that I am currently reading, I came across this line; “Life doesn’t have the problem. You do.”
I suppose that fur us, on this forum, we have embraced our own responsibility and are doing something about it. Tiny changes, over time, give results.
The highlighted quote, whilst correct, is the antithesis of the zeitgeist IMHO. The "howl of rage" brigade from INCELs to other fruitcakes shows how far this forum is from prevailing currents IMHO. Also, I seem to have been very lucky never to have been offered one of these courses and to plough my own furrow as it were. Lastly, great work @Debandez and I feel your frustration. Maybe view the journey as akin to weening/learning to walk? If you go too fast/hard it won't work. Anyhow, what do I know?

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi @jillsymes66, I am also using the Libra sensors, do you also have the app on your phone? I find it easier to read the graph and you can set targets.
One thing that I do is look at the graph to give me an indication of what went on during sleep.
Your reading in the morning is but a snapshot and your 8.4 followed by a 10.4 may indicate a rise trend. It could have been lower if you had taken a reading earlier.
For instance, at 0600 this morning my reading was 5.2, at 0900 it was up to 6.5.
Yes I have got the app. The Libre reader shows my bm was rising from about 2:30am with a sharp jump on rising at 7am. Don't know where I'm going wrong. I shall try the cheese n vinegar thing tonight to see if it helps. It's on it's way down now after a couple of units but that's still several hours of highs which I don't like.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could see the cakes from outside! They were that big!
The hypocrisy of some of our health care professionals astounds me Debandez...I've just read a report by the Eat-Lancet Commission who recommend slashing our red meat & diary intake...a steak once a month...a slice of bacon every four days...just three eggs a fortnight... it ended with this damming conclusion' the plan is so strict that two out of three commission members introducing the diet at a briefing in London yesterday said they were not currently sticking to it...one member (the editor in chief) freely admitted "I’m close, but I have two eggs for breakfast every morning, so I’m already having too many eggs.”.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have got the app. The Libre reader shows my bm was rising from about 2:30am with a sharp jump on rising at 7am. Don't know where I'm going wrong. I shall try the cheese n vinegar thing tonight to see if it helps. It's on it's way down now after a couple of units but that's still several hours of highs which I don't like.
Mayb a little cheese or a couple on nuts first thing to try and settle things. Some people I think have full fat jogurt with chia first thing.
Maybe others could help.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

I hope no one minds, but i feel i am among friends..
friends who share my fears, my desire, and who perhaps know a few more things about me perhaps,
then even those close to me do..

I've been 'off ' since tuesday.
moods just been 'odd'..if that makes sense..

As you may or may not know, i had my latest HBA1c check up on monday.
Oh, what a disaster....nothing seemed to go right...:sorry:

Anyway after two days of feeling like this, i ended up calling NHS Direct..
lovely lady answered, asked a few symptoms,
"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes
and a few personal details age, weight etc

She then ran through a few things that MAY be causing it, and then we hit the HBA1c tests on THAT monday.:bigtears:

She asked what i'd been eating, so i slowly told her, as she hummed, and ahhed, at each mention of my food week.
in the end i felt SO awful, i just broke down and rold her straight..I'M following the LCHF diet....agghh :woot::***:

i was stammering, felt myself going redder, and redder, i even started getting a little choked at the shame of it all

Bless her, she gave me a moment to compose myself..( very friendly if i'm honest.)

She then ran through the problems..my HBA1c was OFF the charts..she had rarely seen anything like it.

I know people have a negative attitude about the phone-lines, but she WAS a godsend.

She patiently explained in words a layman such as myself could easily understand.
"The clinics made a mistake, book another appointment asap" was here main gist.
(gone on line already, booked in for next tuesday, 11am )

She not only stayed on the line, she then told me a few things to do in the meantime to get my scores back to normal
for a person such as myself and at my age & bmi...:rolleyes:

I've not long hung up, So once i just stopping my legs from trembling so much, i'm off to tesco's to get some....

'White bread, jam, margarine, family packet of cornflakes, a bunch of bananas and 2 large pineapples for the fruit, low fat milk and yoghurts.
and then i'm off to find a greggs,
apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries/cakes highly recommended...( GP's eat them by the bucketload, according to @Debandez )

Oh i almost forgot the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:

(yep, i was shocked as well..dangerously low ...apparently..
but eating the correct way,
i'll soon get that back into the high 50's low 60's again.;) )

Take care all.
love you all, so HUG the ones YOU love.. TODAY.:happy:

(go on, i KNOW you read it..Now go DO IT ..XXX )

Last edited:
Reactions: philchap1

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Mayb a little cheese or a couple on nuts first thing to try and settle things. Some people I think have full fat jogurt with chia first thing.
Maybe others could help.
Thanks dunelm. I'll keep some nuts to have first thing. I'm back to work from tmro getting up a hr or so earlier so I'll see if that makes a difference. Cheers

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The hypocrisy of some of our health care professionals astounds me Debandez...I've just read a report by the Eat-Lancet Commission who recommend slashing our red meat & diary intake...a steak once a month...a slice of bacon every four days...just three eggs a fortnight... it ended with this damming conclusion' the plan is so strict that two out of three commission members introducing the diet at a briefing in London yesterday said they were not currently sticking to it...one member (the editor in chief) freely admitted "I’m close, but I have two eggs for breakfast every morning, so I’m already having too many eggs.”.
I only saw this on the news this morning so have looked a bid deeper.
There is an easy read summary here; https://eatforum.org/lancet-commission/everyone/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

friends who share my fears, my desire, and who perhaps know a few more things about me perhaps,

"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes

She then ran through a few things that MAY be causing it, and then we hit the HBA1c tests on THAT monday.:bigtears:

She asked what i'd been eating, so i slowly told her, as she hummed, and ahhed, at each mention of my food week.
in the end i felt SO awful, i just broke down and rold her straight..I'M following the LCHF diet....agghh :woot::***:

i was stammering, felt myself going redder, and redder, i even started getting a little choked at the shame of it all

Bless her, she gave me a moment to compose myself..( very friendly if i'm honest.)

She then ran through the problems..my HBA1c was OFF the charts..she had rarely seen anything like it.

I know people have a negative attitude about the phone-lines, but she WAS a godsend.

She patiently explained in words a layman such as myself could easily understand.

She not only stayed on the line, she then told me a few things to do in the meantime to get my scores back to normal

I've not long hung up, So once i just stopping my legs from trembling so much, i'm off to tesco's to get some....

'White bread, jam, margarine, family packet of cornflakes, a bunch of bananas and 2 large pineapples for the fruit, low fat milk and yoghurts.
and then i'm off to find a greggs, apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries highly recommended.

Oh the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:
(yep, i was shocked as well..dangerously low ...apparently..but eating the correct way,

Take care all.

Great result, well done and all the changes and hard work have paid off. (just the problem of football team you support now) :angelic:

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The highlighted quote, whilst correct, is the antithesis of the zeitgeist IMHO. The "howl of rage" brigade from INCELs to other fruitcakes shows how far this forum is from prevailing currents IMHO. Also, I seem to have been very lucky never to have been offered one of these courses and to plough my own furrow as it were. Lastly, great work @Debandez and I feel your frustration. Maybe view the journey as akin to weening/learning to walk? If you go too fast/hard it won't work. Anyhow, what do I know?
Interesting that you mentioned the involuntary celibates. Unfortunately, in the west at least, society has brought up a couple of decades of offspring on a song called ”you are wonderful, deserving and can have anything that you want.” Unforunately they then fly the roost, depart from the Pinochio fun fair and life belts them over the head like a sledge hammer. Not really the thread for this I guess but hey ho.

Reactions: geefull

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
”you are wonderful, deserving and can have anything that you want.” Unforunately they then fly the roost, depart from the Pinochio fun fair and life belts them over the head like a sledge hammer.

@dunelm ..YOU are on FIRE, today :D....Chuckling away here, many thanks..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
(star for post..and 1 manually inputted 'Agree' )

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Morning. This morning on waking I was 8.4 by the time I'd gone down for my cuppa it was 10.4!! When I went to bed it was 5.4. I am 4 days into using the Libre sensor and my levels through the day have been between 5 and 6 which is fine for me. I eat under 20g of carbs per day and don't usually eat after 8.30pm and I take my Lantus and Metformin before bed, usually about 10.30pm. I am not having night hypos either. I have increased my nightime Lantus by 2 units last night but still high this morning. I'm nervous of taking insulin in case it plummets later and I will have to eat carbs. Any advice guys. I've done some online reading and apart from eating some cheese or drinking some vinegar before bed there doesn't seem to be any info. Cheers.
Were you instructed by a Doctor to have your metformin before bed, if not you may want to ask if this should be taken with your main meal. You could try bringing your last meal digestive processes closer to a time that will not compete with approaching sleep hormones e.g. circa 17.00.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes

and then i'm off to find a greggs,
apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries/cakes highly recommended...( GP's eat them by the bucketload, according to @Debandez )

Oh i almost forgot the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:

(yep, i was shocked as well..dangerously low ...apparently..
but eating the correct way,

Take care all.

Stellar result, @jjraak, and very impressive. Really well-deserved. Your hard work paid off.

and btw... very funny post.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm ..YOU arer on FIRE, today :D....Chuckling away here, many thanks..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
(star for post..and 1 manually inputted 'Agree' )
Thanks, and thank you for the link in your signature, Great speech, I have bookmarked it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau