What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 congratulations on the Chelsea Tractor incident and big hugs for the cold.

@DJC3 and @Chook - can’t remember the last dinner party I went to. Definitely think they’re a thing of the past.

A hungry day today and a day when I gave in to the chocolate craving that’s been going on for days - remained under 20g carbs.

Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling. Then began the chocolate episodes. Found the attached in Whole Foods - 3.1g carbs per 35g bar. A little on the bitter side but therefore difficult to over consume. 30g almonds too.

Dinner was Arbroath kippers from M&S. Delicious as ever. Post dinner visit to new independent supermarket yielded a 30g bar of Montezumas very dark (73%) chocolate. Too sweet, but worth a shot just to see. These small bars are a very good idea.

Also stocked up on lamb today - whole shoulder (cut into 6 portions) and whole neck (cut into 2) on Ramadan special offer at a butcher near the office.

Editing to add the attachment.

View attachment 33230 View attachment 33231

We used to have a fisherman's cottage in Arbroath, so used to pop a few doors along to pick up our Smokies.

Such happy childhood memories. We spent the summers in jellies or wellies because we were constantly clambering over rocks and exploring rock pools.

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Evening all.

@maglil55 congratulations on the Chelsea Tractor incident and big hugs for the cold.

@DJC3 and @Chook - can’t remember the last dinner party I went to. Definitely think they’re a thing of the past.

A hungry day today and a day when I gave in to the chocolate craving that’s been going on for days - remained under 20g carbs.

Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling. Then began the chocolate episodes. Found the attached in Whole Foods - 3.1g carbs per 35g bar. A little on the bitter side but therefore difficult to over consume. 30g almonds too.

Dinner was Arbroath kippers from M&S. Delicious as ever. Post dinner visit to new independent supermarket yielded a 30g bar of Montezumas very dark (73%) chocolate. Too sweet, but worth a shot just to see. These small bars are a very good idea.

Also stocked up on lamb today - whole shoulder (cut into 6 portions) and whole neck (cut into 2) on Ramadan special offer at a butcher near the office.

Editing to add the attachment.

View attachment 33230 View attachment 33231

Is 100% cacao edible? I would have thought it quite bitter.

Reactions: gennepher

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 100% cacao edible? I would have thought it quite bitter.

Definitely edible, but yes, bitter - especially when you first try it. Montezumas have a 100% bar with orange oil and cocoa nibs. No sugar and only 8g carb / 100g. The orange and cocoa nibs take the edge off the bitterness - a bit too much in my case as the whole bar often disappears. You can get it in Sainsbury’s.

D

Deleted member 308541

That’s loads of protein Tipetoo. I was just starting to twig that protein can push up the bg. Since I’m trying to see what makes my bg go up when I thought I’d had a very healthy meal, I’d be interested to know - does that make your bg go up?
Goes up a bit after dinner but within the limits, lunch depends on what I eat or drink, breakfast goes down below my fasting bgl most days.

I go for a hba1c blood test next week at the pathology shop, and I hope to extend my low thirty's flat line on the graph and spike up the banana speed bump in my sig.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.4 FBG 6.4. Still full of the cold. Quiet school run mainly because rain was coming down in a torrent so kids were straight in to gym hall or dining hall. Let me get back to lie down again.
B. TAG with ADOC and another slice of that wonderful bread toasted with lurpack.
L. Nothing apart from water and paracetamol.
D. After school collection then boys home - leftover stroganoff from Sunday with veggie chips.
Remains of halo top and last few raspberries and 25g Montezuma black forest chocolate.
Now I just want another hot shower and bed.

Reactions: Viv19

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Chinese style cold chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken Balti and cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Curried beef and veggies.
Breakfast: Four egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

We just had our coldest morning here today, the temp went down to 5.3° C, "winter" is not due to start till Friday on the first of June. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NE1 was DD breakfast sandwich
NE2 1/2 a dressed crab with a flaxseed bun. A ‘bit’ of Montezuma’s orange &cocoa nib choc
NE3 IP roast chicken, cauli cheese and buttered cabbage. Bit of Yarg cheese and 1/2 glass red later on.

Reactions: maglil55

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checking in quickly before bed.

B: Lemon chia pudding with berries. Black coffee.
L: Coronation chicken, avocado, cherry toms, cucumber, salad leaves.
D: LC lasagne with courgette 'pasta'. SF jelly. Decaf CWC.

The coronation chicken got the thumbs up all round! I didn't have any curry paste, so sautéed a little onion and garlic with a tablespoon of medium curry powder and tsp of turmeric in some butter until soft. I added a little water to stop it from drying out and a tsp of tomato purée. I then mixed this into a dollop of creme fraiche (couple of tablespoons) and a few good dollops of mayo (4 tablespoon.). A good squeeze of lime and plenty chopped coriander. All this was mixed with the leftover chicken and left to mingle overnight. I didn't miss the mango chutney one bit!

D

Deleted member 308541

It's warmed up a bit since before breakfast, it's a cool 20° now, and it's gunna be breezy with a west south westerly 16 klm wind blowing at the bowls club for lunch. :D

Edit: Updated weather forecast...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, please could you help me with some of the abbreviations on this thread? I can’t work these ones out!
NE1/2/3
TAG
CMT
ADOC
TWAM
ACV
I think CWC might be coffee with cream, is that right?

Thank you

Reactions: Chook and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, please could you help me with some of the abbreviations on this thread? I can’t work these ones out!
NE1/2/3
TAG
CMT
ADOC
TWAM
ACV

Thank you
Hi @Hooty. I am not a great acronym fella but I think these are mostly the meanings
NE1/2/3 Nutritional event - (avoids traditional labels and confusion re timing)
TAG Tassimo Americano Grande - a beverage made in a device using coffee pods
CMT Copy me that - digital recipe storage and sharing app
ADOC - No idea. A drop of cream or something with decaffeinated
TWAM Tea with almond milk
ACV Apple cider vinegar
Helpful or even more confusing?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Hooty I share your pain. I read this thread every day, yet I only know a few of those.

I have read the definitions before, (and again just now, thanks to @ianpspurs) but I forget them again just as quickly.
Nowadays, I just gloss over them, rather than having to translate each entry. :)

The only one I think I ever use, is the NE, but (thanks to @DCUKMod) I always think of it as 'nosebag event'. Haha!

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Hooty. I am not a great acronym fella but I think these are mostly the meanings
NE1/2/3 Nutritional event - (avoids traditional labels and confusion re timing)
TAG Tassimo Americano Grande - a beverage made in a device using coffee pods
CMT Copy me that - digital recipe storage and sharing app
ADOC - No idea. A drop of cream or something with decaffeinated
TWAM Tea with almond milk
ACV Apple cider vinegar
Helpful or even more confusing?

Very helpful, thank you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NE1/2/3
TAG
CMT
ADOC
TWAM
ACV

Thank you
Like @Brunneria I can never remember them all :wacky: I just write in English! ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in quickly before bed.

B: Lemon chia pudding with berries. Black coffee.
L: Coronation chicken, avocado, cherry toms, cucumber, salad leaves.
D: LC lasagne with courgette 'pasta'. SF jelly. Decaf CWC.

The coronation chicken got the thumbs up all round! I didn't have any curry paste, so sautéed a little onion and garlic with a tablespoon of medium curry powder and tsp of turmeric in some butter until soft. I added a little water to stop it from drying out and a tsp of tomato purée. I then mixed this into a dollop of creme fraiche (couple of tablespoons) and a few good dollops of mayo (4 tablespoon.). A good squeeze of lime and plenty chopped coriander. All this was mixed with the leftover chicken and left to mingle overnight. I didn't miss the mango chutney one bit!

Coronation chicken sounds good - I was hoping to do similar with the leftover roast chicken from last night but ended up doing an emergency dash to my daughter’s and using it to feed 5 people so no leftovers sadly.

Reactions: Viv19 and Chook