What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and cookies and cream phd bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Experimental soup, never made anything like it. Mainly celeriac and parsley root (which I've never had before), lots of blue stilton and some cream. Sounds healthy, filling, and perfect for a hangover to me :D
Soup turned out delicious and very filling, and the hangover has vanished!
It didn't look very appetising but this was easily solved by cutting some parsley over my bowl and adding piping hot* walnuts from the oven :)

Recipe here, if you want to try: https://www.copymethat.com/r/VTEvYAg/celeriacparsley-rootblue-cheese-soup/

celeriacparsley-rootblue-cheese-soup-20201114203756636154dvnwi.jpg

*) Literally piping hot! I googled the phrase to make sure I used it right, and found out it comes from the sizzling sound of hot food. The walnutes definitely piped when I added them to the hot soup! :happy:
"In Scotland, ceremonial dishes of food are often brought to the table to the accompaniment of bagpipes, that is, they are 'piped in'. This could easily be imagined to be the origin of 'piping hot'. It isn't though. Nor does the phrase derive from food being 'piped aboard' ships. The derivation of this little phrase is the sizzling, whistling sound made by steam escaping from very hot food, which is similar to the sound of high-pitched musical pipes."

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was working today so ate three small meals to keep me incentivised!
Breakfast two slices of bacon and fried egg on one slice of hm lc toast
Lunch one slice of my hm lc toast with pate followed by one DGF millionaires shortbread with coffee
Dinner hm chicken curry with two gin and sodas followed by DGF salted caramel blondie with cream.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B= 2+Ls+ TWAM with inulin and sweetener; Dockey: CWC with SF caramel syrup; L= Organic bone broth and acv; EM: Mackerel and avocado salad.

What is the caramel syrup that you like? I bought one - "The Coffee Professor" brand. It's ok for my tastebuds but not fabulous so I'm still searching for options.

Now onto food!

Lunch (another big day working): Protein meal shake + cashew milk instead of water + psyllium, 3 x keto-friendly coffees
Dinner: I missed the memo that it should have been crispy chinese duck :) so instead I had cream of mushroom soup, smoked salmon, green leaf and radish salad, 3 pieces SF dark choc, stevia hot chocolate

Trying out cashew milk at the moment, though not tried it in tea yet. Actually I've been missing my pots of tea since I used to like my tea with lots of milk, so will have to do a comparison of cashew versus almond milk.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
L: tuna and mayo with a new find, a jar of Polish green tomato salad. 8g carbs per 100 but only had about 30g. Thought it would be very sharp vinegar but was mild and very tasty. Will buy more but they are 800g jars
Made some cheese and seed crackers. Very tasty. Will post recipe soon, just need to tweak it a bit first
D: part of a steak that was tough and chewy, so shared it with the cats.
Dessert of 1 sq 70% chopped with 1 brazil nut and a tablespoon of cream.

Evening bits, glass of red wine and some almond stuffed olives

lucas1986

Do you mean the no added sugar nicks bars? Are they any good I have been thinking of getting them, they do like peanut and fudge?

Yep I like the peanut and fudge one. It's good if you keep an eye on your CGM though before you start downing boxes of them because you might react differently to me - personally my glucose barely moves when I eat one.

Reactions: Choosehappy

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
I tried a fattbar that I bought from Amazon recently they are 1-2 carbs per bar and laiden with healthy fats and barely any sugar (around 1.2 natural sugars depending on flavour some 0-no added keto friendly) also they do not have any viscous laxative ingredients and come in some really nice flavours. Very happy girlie

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chocolate cherry liquers can still be in your life. Infused (probably with brandy) cherries (I'd chop slightly), the enrobed (description shamelessly stolen from HC products) in your favoured dark chocolate.

I've recently done chocolate and ginger (not infused) for my OH with great success, although the 90% I chose for him was a bit too bitter for him. he'll get through it in time though
I used to adore Mon Cherie - dark chocolate, cherry & cherry brandy. You're correct., it should be doable.

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch: 2 Asda "extra special" pork sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms fried in butter
Dinner is going to be: 2 salmon fillets and some green beans

Never bought premium supermarket brand stuff before, but I figured I rarely eat sausages/processed meat so why not buy ones that are lower in carbohydrates and fillers. Incredibly meaty and less "soft" compared to the cheaper stuff. Well worth the cost, £4 for 12 sausages.

Edit: Does contain some dextrose, but you can't win it all can you ;)

Last edited:

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Lunch: 2 Asda "extra special" pork sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms fried in butter

Never bought premium supermarket brand stuff before, but I figured I rarely eat sausages/processed meat so why not buy ones that are lower in carbohydrates and fillers. Incredibly meaty and less "soft" compared to the cheaper stuff. Well worth the cost, £4 for 12 sausages.

Hi, I also highly recommend Heck Sausages - Chicken Italia, I get mine from Tesco/Asda now and again for a lower fat/salt sausage option and we love them! Really tasty with some scrambled egg :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Miles behind again. Wednesday bed 7.2 FBG 7.4 Thursday bed 6.2 FBG 6.8. Can I just say I am so happy I have never, ever liked nut butters judging from the number who could eat it with a spoon. Probably down to my belief nothing should be done to nuts - just shell and eat as they are.
Wednesday
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue
And whipped cheese
L. Nothing
D. Knocked together a cauliflower rice risotto with spring onion, mixed wild mushrooms, parmesan and a dash of cream. 2 squares of 85%.

Thursday
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. Boys were here and I'd made a lamb casserole in the IP with loads of veggies. Had it with cauli mash & fresh peas. Later bit of DGF bakewell with raspberries and a dash of cream.

Edited to include Wednesday.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast smoked salmon scrambled egg and avocado.
Lunch/ dinner was DD keto lasagna and salad with a couple of glasses of red wine.
I made the pasta sheets yesterday and left them to cool on the kitchen counter, there were 4 in all. A couple of hours later there were 3. Our dog Dennis is a thieving scavenger but can’t reach the counter top. Daughter’s Great Dane Melody can easily reach the counter surface but is supremely uninterested in food. Hmm! We suspected Dennis might have cajoled Melody into pulling the food down into the floor for him. By this morning it was very obvious in the most revolting way that Dennis had definitely eaten it. Happily this didn’t put us off and we enjoyed the meal.
@Choosehappy I also like Heck sausages and Waitrose 1 Cumberland.
@maglil55 I envy your indifference to nut butters.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@DJC3 loving the doggy capers in the kitchen.
@Choosehappy I’m another. Waitrose 1 Cumberland sausage fan. 0.8g carb per 2 sausages and very tasty.

Ate an enormous lunch today. Starter - well it turned out to be the starter, began as the entire meal - of 2 small pork belly strips cut into pieces, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried. Was still hungry so air fried some lamb ribs which had been rubbed with lemon pepper.

Have since had some extra thick double cream with 20g Lindt 90%. Thinking about something small for dinner but not sure what.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s food: B= 1.5 Ls TWAM with inulin and sweetener; Dockey: Dr A’s chocky, wocky woo then SF caramel AM latte ; L= I ordered a Costa CWC and SF caramel - taste didn’t match but Libre not overly bothered ; EM - 6.30 ish: Roast pork, roast toms and mushies, mashed swede (black pepper and butter) + normal gravy. Glass "free" Cypriot red. I was cold and this was sold to me as warm food "because all that salad makes you cold". I'm suing.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch: Cheese omelette (yes, again!)
Dinner: 2 oven-roasted pork belly slices (lovely bit of crackling on top) and some halloumi

I found some 95% cocoa chocolate in Lidl today. Not a huge fan, so it looks like 90% is my absolute maximum tolerance.
The Lidl 95% is more like 100% elsewhere. Very strong and bitter. Try Lindt 90% - it's very different.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another three small meals day:
Breakfast one chipolata one rasher bacon and egg with slice of LC hm bread toasted
Lunch one piece of lc toast with pate followed by DGF millionaires shortbread
Dinner slow cooked beef brisket with roast swede and cauliflower cheese and glass of red wine followed by DGF salted caramel brownie with extra thick cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Supermarkets do a lot of gluten free sausages that tend to be very low in carbs. I'm lucky, I have a butcher that does quite a selection of GF sausages. As someone else mentioned, Heck are pretty good and the Farmer's Daughter? Is another.