What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prepared for a day out with a hearty breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs, on thick ham, on 2 slices livlife toast.

Snacks of nut bar and half a packet of Cheesies. Hubby was allowed the other half.

Mid afternoon lc hot chocolate, but made with a shot of Baileys so not so lc after all

D: 2 sausages cooked with cabbage , onion and mushrooms, finished with a splash of cream. Hubby had his on rice.
2sqs 85% chocolate.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a H&B protein bar.
Dinner: mushroom paté on a low carb roll with coleslaw.

2024-02-02 19.06.52.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realised I had gradually fallen into the habit of having an alcoholic drink every evening.
Last I had this week was Sunday. Am going to go dry until this Sunday, just to prove I can.
If you see me creeping up towards daily again, please nudge me. It seems too easy a habit to fall into. Thank you!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all,

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter and avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Gorwydd Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover mushroom and spinach frittata.
Romano peppers, celery sticks and baby plum tomatoes with chicory boats for scooping and a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Prawns and brown shrimps.
Almonds, hazelnuts and brazils.
Water to drink.

Mid-afternoon: black filter coffee

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad made with lettuce, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions, Kalamata olives and Romano peppers, dressed with olive oil, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, topped with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Water to swallow tablets.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 27 January - bed 7.9 FBG 7.4. I'd got my shopping done yesterday, so today was devoted once again to the reorganisation. Old furniture is leaving on Tuesday, so I will have an ideal opportunity to really clean the laminate in a very big room. Watch out nooks & crannies!

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with Dairylea. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Cold cuts. Ox tongue, pork &apple, roast leg of pork, ham, German sausage minis, coleslaw, veggie salad. CC little chocolate pot.
Gin & soda - for revival purposes after moving furniture.

Sunday 28 January - bed 7.6 FBG 7.8. Swimming lesson still on. I did make time to get to recycling though.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with rare brisket and coleslaw. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing. At swimming lessons.

D. I did a rolled shoulder of lamb in the IP, with onion and chunky carrot. Also had green beans and a mini potato. Usual campari and soda.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today’s breakfast , sausage and egg on l/c bread, lunch was sardine tomato and feta on toast. winter friends are coming for dinner which is about to be shrimp saganaki followed by salmon cakes with Caesar salad and mixed veggie salad. Dessert is L/c brownies with blackberry compote and vanilla ice cream. Keto ice cream for me, I really like the salted caramel flavour as an occasional treat. The brownies are a box keto mix i haven’t tried before but I don’t have all of my baking supplies here, so cheating it is.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realised I had gradually fallen into the habit of having an alcoholic drink every evening.
Last I had this week was Sunday. Am going to go dry until this Sunday, just to prove I can.
If you see me creeping up towards daily again, please nudge me. It seems too easy a habit to fall into. Thank you!
I’ll join you on your wait but until Sunday 11th. It’s too easy when away from home and enjoying treats.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrsA2 , we'll try to keep an eye on your drinking habits!
Just make sure to thoroughly enjoy the drinks you do have, it's much more worth it if you activively choose to have a drink instead of it just being a habit.
Sorry to hear of your RTA.
I've been neglecting my diet & visits to this forum for quite a while now. However, my (night-time) neuropathy has slowly been getting worse & although the Revitive m/c works a treat, I'm spending more time on it each night. Several sleepless nights have forced me to reconsider my diet & revisit this forum. I'd forgotten what a treasure trove of useful information it is. I've been trawling through some of KennyA's posts & found them very helpful. I've just got to implement those ultra-low carb recommendations now : ).
I'm sorry to hear about your issues, but very happy with your renewed determination on keeping on top of your diabetes, keep up the good work!
winter friends are coming for dinner
What are winter friends and what happens to the friendship in summer?

Swimming pool this morning, got groceries afterwards and a plan for cooking enough for three days at least.
Found out I had a dentist appointment next tuesday and called it off, they can book me in at the end of march or so, dentists are important but a break from stressful appointments is equally important and I can use a break. :)
I did call a random physiotherapist close by to make an appointment to see if they have some ideas on relieving my back pain, appointment next friday right after swimming which will save me from having to have an extra shower. I feel very smart right now. :joyful:

Turned out that was enough for the day, especially with some emotional phone calls and text messages with a friend and a family member thrown in, but I will cook properly tomorrow!
Still, a cold meal of cucumber, bell pepper, and Chinese cabbage to dip in zaziki, and a slice of low carb bread with a lot of salami wasn't a bad meal either. :hungry:

1706919772668.png

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw high protein rolls in the bakery section last week, they were rectangular and didn't look quite as dark as I remember the old ones being but they were definitely there. Don't know what the carb count of these were. Also didn't know if it's a regular line or if its one of those post Christmas fad lines!
If you ask someone nicely, they have laminated cards with all the ingredients of the in-house baked goods, and, I believe the carb count. It was certainly available for the olde-stylee low carb rolls.

If I were asking, I think I'd seek out someone in Manager uniform (proper shirts, not polo style) and ask if you could see it. Personally, I'd not go into the diabetes thing, but say I had a lot of sensitivities to baked goods, so needed reassurance.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: cheese omelette.

2nd meal: cod baked with some butter in a fresh tomato sauce.

Trying decaf tea again today and will see what it does to my head this time. Been drinking a bit too much black coffee in the last few days. Didn't feel like drinking hot water all day so was low on fluids which is a no-no as far as the nurse is concerned. That's why I changed to coffee - a little more body than water but probably too much caffeine - not that caffeine has any noticeable effect on me but 2 litres in a day is possibly an overdose of it. So - back to tea - processed to reduce the caffeine. Processed is a bad word in my dietary vocabulary. The only thing I can think of that should be processed is words. Of course, even caffeinated tea is processed by drying, but it is minimal processing.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw high protein rolls in the bakery section last week, they were rectangular and didn't look quite as dark as I remember the old ones being but they were definitely there. Don't know what the carb count of these were. Also didn't know if it's a regular line or if its one of those post Christmas fad lines!
Courtesy of @HSSS here is the info:

High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Courtesy of @HSSS here is the info:

High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.
Wow a lot of carbs, that's so much higher than the old ones?

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Hot smoked trout, tomato
Beef not so nice today
Smoked salmon even worse! Suspect it was the sickness that wasn't helping.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely family time today
No breakfast as full meal planned at lunchtime so just small kefir with my supplements
Lunch cold ham and chicken with salads then range of cheeses
Mid pm LC chocolate cake
Dinner same as lunch with leftover bits but also had a small glass of red wine.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and sage, baked with red peppers and mushrooms, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Kalamata olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to swallow tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: cheese omelette.

2nd meal: cod baked with some butter in a fresh tomato sauce.

Trying decaf tea again today and will see what it does to my head this time. Been drinking a bit too much black coffee in the last few days. Didn't feel like drinking hot water all day so was low on fluids which is a no-no as far as the nurse is concerned. That's why I changed to coffee - a little more body than water but probably too much caffeine - not that caffeine has any noticeable effect on me but 2 litres in a day is possibly an overdose of it. So - back to tea - processed to reduce the caffeine. Processed is a bad word in my dietary vocabulary. The only thing I can think of that should be processed is words. Of course, even caffeinated tea is processed by drying, but it is minimal processing.
You could try
Hot water and a slice of lemon or orange
Hot water and a few mint leaves, or a sage leaf or pinch fresh rosemary
Hot water and a slice of fresh ginger
Hot water and a clove or 2
Or combinations of the above. All natural, no processing but taste like they add "body"

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast as off to early yoga then supermarket shopping
Had a nut bar on way back
Then ate half a "high protein pudding" at 8g carbs and a mini icecream and a chunk of cheese. Not the most sensible of lunches. I'd got too hungry!

Cleaned the inside of the car then did 2 hours weeding and turning the compost heap

4:30 2 squares hm lc rhubarb cake with cream

7pm a steak and some stir fry veg with garlic, ginger and soy sauce. The other half the protein pudding which was much improved witha splash of Baileys over....that doesn't count as drinking does it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot that my neighbours new oven is much hotter than his old one on the same setting, so my marinated pork belly pieces were slightly burnt and very shrunken, with all the fat left on the baking tray.
They still tasted good, just about, and I marinated two pork belly strips in pieces, good for four days of meat so it can only get better. :)
Mixed veggies (green beans, onion, bell pepper, and Chinese cabbage) with a spicy peanut sauce and a fried egg. :hungry:
Finally a proper meal again!

My new insulin (Lyumjev) seems to be working seriously faster than the old Fiasp. This meal does need a little insulin but not in a hurry, so I'm holding off dosing for it until I heard back from my neighbour about a spontaneous night swim.
If we go swimming I won't need the insulin, glad I didn't inject before the meal if we actually go for a short swim. :)

1706991280118.png