What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hello all,

Hugs, @PenguinMum -- What an awful thing to happen, I would be quite angry at the supermarket to let employees come in sick these days. Keeping my fingers crossed that your's will be a mild case.
@MrsA2 -- Sorry about the breathlessness on the crosstrainer -- it definitely does sound like a chest infection or something similar.
@Bex72 -- Glad to see you posting more regularly now, hope this means you're feeling much better.
@zauberflote and @maglil55 -- I agree, I thought the tomato sorbet sounded good too, but probably add much less sweetener than suggested in the recipe. Do any of you know by the way what tomato juice extract is? This is needed according to the recipe. Btw, there is also a recipe for parmesan icecream.
@ianpspurs -- The comment was just based on my own experience (and what I've seen some members post here). When I get hungry, often my blood sugar goes up instead of down. I also wouldn't find it very surprising if hunger caused stress, which on the one hand would lead to the release of glucose from the liver and on the other hand the release of cortisol, which again would lead to increased insulin resistance ... but might be wrong about this too. Anyway, I have no scientific source for this.

Thanks ziggy_w, you are completely correct. I went through the bad stage and now feel well enough to resume some activities. I guess some people bounce back from this and otgers take a while to recover, I expect I will fall in between. Nevertheless m the relief to be past the wirst is enormous. Thanks for your kind words. x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Atkins crackers and Marmite for breakfast.

Spent some time today figuring out how to use up close-to or past best-by-date from the fridge and cupboard. I found a tin of green beans which must be very old, stuck in the back of a cupboard and that started me off. I don't actually like green beans but some time ago (years?) I thought I ought to give them a try. Then I found that the cottage cheese was past it's sell by date, but still looked OK. Then I checked the veg and found an aubergine that needed saving. So I took out some of the chorizo that I bought the other day and chopped it into small chunks to render the fat out. Then fried some onion in the fat. Grilled the aubergine slices and layered the whole lot up with the addition of a tin of tomatoes. Not sure how it will taste, but that (or some of it) is tonight's dinner. If it's OK the rest will do for breakfast tomorrow.

Neil and I are both picking up again, although both still a bit groggy and sleepy. Not sure what that was/is. Although I actually enjoyed inventing my left-over dish, I don't really feel like eating it. Neil has found an idea to puff up macaroni and make kind of cheesey crisps with it, using Parmesan. Not sure how his Lactofree cheese will work in it. Worth a try to give him something a bit different.

DIL's grandmother was 105 last Friday. She doesn't need anything really and chocolates and flowers she would have been showered with, so No 2 son made a wooden tea tray, Em was allowed to fix metal handles to it. DIL burned and painted a pattern and message on it. Braidie varnished it. I imagine she'll have been very happy with that.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

Hugs, @PenguinMum -- What an awful thing to happen, I would be quite angry at the supermarket to let employees come in sick these days. Keeping my fingers crossed that your's will be a mild case.
@MrsA2 -- Sorry about the breathlessness on the crosstrainer -- it definitely does sound like a chest infection or something similar.
@Bex72 -- Glad to see you posting more regularly now, hope this means you're feeling much better.
@zauberflote and @maglil55 -- I agree, I thought the tomato sorbet sounded good too, but probably add much less sweetener than suggested in the recipe. Do any of you know by the way what tomato juice extract is? This is needed according to the recipe. Btw, there is also a recipe for parmesan icecream.
@ianpspurs -- The comment was just based on my own experience (and what I've seen some members post here). When I get hungry, often my blood sugar goes up instead of down. I also wouldn't find it very surprising if hunger caused stress, which on the one hand would lead to the release of glucose from the liver and on the other hand the release of cortisol, which again would lead to increased insulin resistance ... but might be wrong about this too. Anyway, I have no scientific source for this.

Not sure if it is called tomato juice extract but I have seen a kind of extract made from ripe tomatoes - the tomatoes were grated into a mush and then left to drip through muslin over a bowl in the fridge. The resulting juice was almost clear and tasted very strongly of tomato. It was used to flavour a drink with fizzy water or it could have been used with prosecco or somesuch.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if it is called tomato juice extract but I have seen a kind of extract made from ripe tomatoes - the tomatoes were grated into a mush and then left to drip through muslin over a bowl in the fridge. The resulting juice was almost clear and tasted very strongly of tomato. It was used to flavour a drink with fizzy water or it could have been used with prosecco or somesuch.
My cousin made this once, to make the strangest tomato soup :)
You tasted tomatoes but the soup was clear!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
To all-- I give up on the photo. Today the forum very definitively dislikes both my photo collection and my phone's camera. Arrggh. It was a fall-inspired pic of the thicker flax crisp slab, with acorns
@Annb if it's any consolation, I don't have permission to open the photo either....and what a wonderful present for a grand old lady!

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast roll sounds wonderful! I’ll order rolls next time ( or when there’s freezer space)
Thanks for the book/ film recommendation. I’ve just ordered the book and will look out for it on Prime too.
We finished the movie today. Even the boys had happy tears in their eyes. Never seen them so quiet with a movie.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I woke up hungry today so had breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs on 2 slices Gouda.
Lunchtime came and went but by 3:30 I was very hungry again. The quickest thing I could have was a couple of leftover slices of gammon from the weekend joint, with cheese and coleslaw in a LoDough wrap. Didn’t really enjoy it but it filled a hole and I wasn’t hungry for dinner.
I had some chicken breasts which need cooking, so they’ve gone into the oven cut into goujons and coated in LD southern style coating I’ve just had one, the rest will do for cold lunches.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this recipe today in an old book for Tomato Ice Cream but its a savoury to be served as a starter
2 huge Or 3 large tomatoes
Juice half a lemon
Tomato ketchup to taste
125ml double cream, whipped
Salt, pepper
Blend the tomatoes then pass through a sieve
Add the remaining ingredients in order.
Freeze until firm

Anyone going to try it?

I dealt with our last tomato pickings today by doing a roast sauce of the ripe ones, and a spicy chutney of the green ones. Found a recipe for the latter that only used 1 tablespoon of sugar to a kilo of tomatoes. The result should be less than 2g carb per spoonful.
Found a 2 year old jar of h/m green tomato chilli chutney at the back of the cupboard today. Can't remember if it was the same recipe as I used today, but its very very good indeed, probably sugar laden!

I have had a clear tomato jelly thing in a posh restaurant once. Very tasty but not sure how they made it

My omad was sprouts, walnuts and cheese with scrambled egg on the side and ff greek, cream and granola. Did pick quite a bit while cooking though. Have done a corned beef crust quiche for boys tea tonight and my meal tomorrow. Getting ahead as a busy day planned.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So it was a kind of tomato consommé?
I wouldn't know, as this is the first time I've heard the word consommé :D.
But I sent my cousin a message to ask if I remembered correctly it was him who made the soup. If it was I'll ask him if he remembers how he made it, and if he does I will of course share on here.
And then it's up to you to decide if this is a consommé :)

Yesterday I had 2 low carb wraps (those wraps are too small!) with vegetarian shawarma, fried onions and bell pepper, and lettuce, raw onions, lots of garlic sauce (mayonnaise, fresh garlic, bit of water) and smokey sriracha.
Today there was enough filling and garlic sauce left for one wrap. So I borrowed a couple of carrots from the guinea pigs to make garlic carrots to go with the wrap.
As you can see, I'm too lazy to peel my carrots. Which is fine, they taste yummy all the same, despite being less pretty :)

121550483_10222010831214191_5969691757540558681_o.jpg

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Found it, I think @maglil55. A book by R J Palacio. There's a Kindle edition at £3.95 but the paperback is £6.95. I listened to an extract and it seems to be the one - not to my liking, but I'm not an 8 year old and I'm sure Em will find it hilarious.
My son loved this book. I used to read with him a lot and really miss it. He's 12 now and has lost a bit of interest. I hope that Em likes it.

Mandy20

New to this forum, and trying to lose weight with eating less generally, with less carbs, pre-diabetic HbA1c 44. I’ve been on very low carbs/calories for several days and yesterday I hit the wall and felt a very surreal empty mood, and gave in and started eating more. Breakfast today 45g porridge/yoghourt/half a pear, lunch ham sandwich and green salad, dinner homemade chicken soup with 3 new potatoes. So not really such a low carb day, but I feel more normal again. Less carbs again tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and cookies and cream phd bar.
Skipped Lunch.
Coffee shop coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemongrass stir fry followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
New to this forum, and trying to lose weight with eating less generally, with less carbs, pre-diabetic HbA1c 44. I’ve been on very low carbs/calories for several days and yesterday I hit the wall and felt a very surreal empty mood, and gave in and started eating more. Breakfast today 45g porridge/yoghourt/half a pear, lunch ham sandwich and green salad, dinner homemade chicken soup with 3 new potatoes. So not really such a low carb day, but I feel more normal again. Less carbs again tomorrow.
Hi @Mandy20 , and welcome to the thread and the forum!
Many on here have found they do quite well (and lost weight!) on low carbs but not low calorie. Feeling starved makes it difficult to choose healthier food when you give in, perhaps this would fit you better on the longer term as well!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ad

Hi Mandy20. I've been fairly low carb for some time and have been trying to keep the calories low but sometimes, especially in the colder, darker days, like now, I can't do it. Still, most of the time, keeping the carbs low but can't manage low calories as well. How many/few calories are you trying to get by on? I have found that one way of eating sabotaged the other, but I was trying to go very low calorie as well as very low carb. I hit a very solid wall as well. Probably different for me because I am on insulin and have more or less decided to go a little higher on the carbs (maybe 50g daily) meantime and accept that I have to take more insulin.

My carbs and calories were both higher than they should have been today but, as you realise, tomorrow is another day.