What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lunch at about 12.30 - very hungry so I got something labelled spicy chicken out of the freezer. When I defrosted it, it turned out to be spicy chicken with chick peas. I have absolutely no memory of making such a dish! Had it anyway, but found that the chicken was one smallish piece of meat and the rest was veg with a lot of chick peas. Spicy too. Actually quite pleasant but I left more than half of the chick peas and sauce. It was quite filling and anyway, I didn't want to overdo the carbs. Trouble is, I'm hungry again but at least my BG fell from 9.5 to 6.3 after it.

It will be bone broth tonight. I will have to reduce my insulin dose for that or it might cause too much of a drop going into the night.
Isnt it funny Ann how carbs dont fill us up for long. They seem so filling and make you sleepy but then you’re hungry again. Well done for not eating all the chickpeas and good bg.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@annabell1 hope you soon feel better

@ziggy_w making ribeye into a burger? Sacrilege :)

Early start today to get home from Brum in time for work. Breakfast on train - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, plus some M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos.

Late lunch of bacon, eggs and cheese followed by a small packet (25g) of chocolate almonds - this brand https://www.therawchocolatecompany.com/products/raw-chocolate-almonds - not sure they’re a keeper but filled a gap.

Dinner was garlic and Parmesan chicken wings. Also had an offer for 3 free wings so tried the lemon and pepper variety. Very good. Followed up by 3 x Hotel Chocolat 85% batons and a lc hot chocolate made with 100% chocolate and lactofree milk at home.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - a couple of days to catch up on
Sunday scrambled eggs brunch
Dinner slow cooked beef which was very very tender so able to eat! Served with buttered sprouts
Today
Brunch scrambled eggs
Dinner left over beef casserole with curry spices served with cauliflower rice fried with mushrooms followed by lemon and lime mousse with cream.
Gum infection is calming down but not yet properly better another day of antibiotics to go so getting there. Appetite not fully back yet.
@ziggy_w i use the pasta recipe from diet dr from their lasagne recipe
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lasagna
I use ph to roll it out - not sure how would go in pasta machine I just roll between two silicone sheets and make a smallish quantity to make it easier to work with.
@PenguinMum your church service sounds very touching I love quiet meditative places like country churches and churchyards @Goonergal @Brunneria and @Rachox envy your RR meat meal out - I’m so sad my gum infection ruled it out for me.
@Annb take care sounds like it’s quite hard work getting the insulin right.
@SlimLizzy your life sounds very hectic back in Normandy with lots of French temptations too! I’m a sucker for fizzy wine too and have missed wine this past week whilst on antibiotics @annabell1 hugs for your digestive tract problems sounds very uncomfortable hope it settles again soon
@Quinn1066 welcome to this thread - looking at your signature your hbaca1 is very impressive at 26 good to see what you eat.
@DJC3 youre amazing keeping going at different methods to work on your bgs and not getting thrown off course when they don’t behave
@ianpspurs youre doing great - must be unsettling having such a big move looming even when it’s a positive move to be closer to family.
Sorry if missed anyone out I did try to read back as much as possible!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All crosswaffled today. This will never do - or it might. Quite liked the food today even though some of it is on my - really?:eek: list. B=tea - no exercise as Nursey finds my muscles and bladder valve too effective and I only want the pleasure of what she does once. L= turkey thigh sandwich and gnawing the bone. Eve= Oxtail casserole (not meant to like that), celeriac duaphinoise and broccoli. Unfortunately, this woe has naff all to do with like so it all depends on meter in 80 mins and fbg/weight tomorrow.
Update: 5.2 @ 2 hrs so not too disastrous so far.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Cold garlic and herb chicken with leafy salad and sweet pepper followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: ‘Spag’ bog with courgetti in place of pasta followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Pickled pork and mustard sandwiches, gunna cook it that way again in the gas barbeque.
Dinner: T bone steak, veggies, mushrooms, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, lots of water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all I’m In Harrogate for a couple of days with friends. Had lunch before I left for the airport - tin of mackerel in olive oil and an avocado followed by sf jelly and cream.
Dinner quite late by the time everyone had got here, sharing platter to start which included plenty of bits I could eat, chicken wings and skewers, kofta kebabs. Swerved the flatbreads and onion rings. Main course a bunless bacon and cheeseburger. Shared a bottle of red between 4.
@ziggy_w yes, thank you the couple of days of IF seems to have done my bg levels good and numbers are dropping. Not sure if the next couple of days will help much though.
@shelley262 glad the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick for your tooth abscess.
Fire alarm went off in the middle of posting this so I hope it’s saved ok while we all evacuated.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee I'm miles behind again. Wednesday 30 October - No 1 Grandson was away with American Nani so just No 2 to take to school and it was drama day. He was straight home with everyone else after pick up do I got a but more free time as Hubby was off to football.
Bed 6 FBG 6.8
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Decided to make use of the microwave toastie thing and made a toastie with high protein bread, ham and cheese. Really enjoyed it.
D. Couldn't really be bothered with Hubby out so picked at ham, cheese, tomatoes and chicken wings.
Not a lot but enough for the day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very quick update
Bad news at dentist I’ve a large abscess on my tooth root and around the bone hence pain, throbbing etc. He won’t be able to redo the crown because of this even when it heals. So it’s antibiotics until sorted then extraction and eventually expensive Bridge work! All very daunting.
Difficult to eat so little eaten today mainly drinks may try something soft soon as need to eat with antibiotics so need to try something. Planning on resting up and letting tabs and body put me right hopefully.
You have my sympathy @shelley262. I had a back tooth with a similar issue a while back and a similar solution. Even after the extraction it took a while to settle probably down to the location. I dread the day my bridge needs to be replaced. Hope its sorting itself out as I'm still way behind.
@ziggy_w a very, very belated Happy Birthday.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@shelley262 Had something similar myself, so really feel for you. Hope the antibiotics work quickly.

04-11-19
coffee with cream
Breakfast. 2 eggs scrambled with butter, small mashed avocado and two potato rostii. (25g per 100g. Two weighed 62g) tea
coffee with cream
Lunch. rabbit pate on toast. ( Pain Kapnor approx 14g per slice) half a tomato and teaspoon of homemade apple chutmey. Tea.
few walnuts and cup of tea
Dinner: Salmon with hollandaise sauce, one small potato, carrots and french beans. Later found the cabbage from yesterday still in the microwave:( Now its back in the fridge. Greek yoghurt and raspberries. wine
bedtime tea

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DJC3 never tried roasting sprouts, but your comment reminded me how much we like them. Now on the shopping list
@Goonergal ] cakes look great, where do i get the recipe for the lemon cupcakes?
@maglil55 have been wondering about TAG with ADOC good to know what it means.

The UK health system is a joke sometimes. Can take days to see a doctor. Weeks, often months, to see a consultant and then months, sometimes years to get a minor operation. (We have previous experience of this) Some Health Authorities simply dont do minor operations until they become urgent - by then often get complications.
Am very impressed with the French health service. We went to the local surgery without an appointment. ( Neither of us is good at french on the phone) Got appointment for the next morning. When we saw the doctor he arranged for us to see a consultant that afternoon. This was NOT an emergency appointment. The consultant offered us the option of going back to UK for the required operation, but we both agreed would be quicker in France. Booked to see the anestatist (cant work out the spelling) two weeks later with operation scheduled for a week after that. OK we will have to pay, but can claim most of the cost back from NHS. Any shortfall will have been more than made up for by speed and convenience.

My french is improving. Was able to explain that my late payment of a bill was due to them sending the letter to UK, when we have a french address...delivered with a gallic shrug ofc;)

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: 32g almond meal, 30g protein powder, 9 g flax seed, 3 g coconut flour made into porridge, with 180g greek yoghurt (had to finish the container).
Lunch: 30g pistachio kernels
Snack: 130g raw tomato
Planned Dinner: 160g chicken breast, 250g cauliflower, 170g green beans, and a fried egg.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal ] cakes look great, where do i get the recipe for the lemon cupcakes

Hi. This is the recipe for the cupcakes - see attached photos. I used extra zest and some juice from the lemons in the cake batter. Got roughly 14 decent sized cup cakes from that mix. I also used a different icing, courtesy of @maglil55 the recipe for that is below. Just whipped all of those ingredients together and spread on top of cakes
  • 100 g cream cheese softened
  • 125 ml natural yoghurt unsweetened (I used double cream instead)
  • 2 tbsp lemon zest (also added a bit of lemon juice)
  • 1 tbs granulated sweetener of choice or more, to your taste

Attachments

• DAFE8515-BB9A-4379-914E-250FAA7ED21B.jpeg
    DAFE8515-BB9A-4379-914E-250FAA7ED21B.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 277
  • 3162282C-8EEB-4546-89B4-9B12D1B65BD7.jpeg
    3162282C-8EEB-4546-89B4-9B12D1B65BD7.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 264

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 never tried roasting sprouts, but your comment reminded me how much we like them. Now on the shopping list
@Goonergal ] cakes look great, where do i get the recipe for the lemon cupcakes?
)

They are really good. Even the sprout haters at home like them. Someone on a different thread mentioned doing them that way a year or so ago and I’ve never boiled them since.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was rooting around in the freezer for something to eat today - lots that I didn't fancy but then I found a pot which had lost its label, so I thought I'd better use that. It turns out to be a couple of lamb koftas in a tomato and apricot sauce. I'll have the koftas but will avoid the apricots. Maybe add a couple of grilled tomatoes to make up the bulk.

Very hungry at the moment, but I'm not going to have anything until 1.30 at the earliest. Then maybe some veg broth a bit later. BG was 4.7 last night and 4.5 this morning. Up to 7.5 an hour ago but I'm hoping to keep it low for the rest of the day. My diabetes nurse would not be happy with me - she would prefer it to be about 8 but we disagree on that. She reckons my control is "too tight". As long as I don't overdo the insulin, I should be allright. I am currently reducing the amounts to keep at a reasonable BG and hoping not to drop too low. I suppose I should try weighing myself and see if there's any further improvement there. I'm a bit wary of that though.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was rooting around in the freezer for something to eat today - lots that I didn't fancy but then I found a pot which had lost its label, so I thought I'd better use that. It turns out to be a couple of lamb koftas in a tomato and apricot sauce. I'll have the koftas but will avoid the apricots. Maybe add a couple of grilled tomatoes to make up the bulk.

Very hungry at the moment, but I'm not going to have anything until 1.30 at the earliest. Then maybe some veg broth a bit later. BG was 4.7 last night and 4.5 this morning. Up to 7.5 an hour ago but I'm hoping to keep it low for the rest of the day. My diabetes nurse would not be happy with me - she would prefer it to be about 8 but we disagree on that. She reckons my control is "too tight". As long as I don't overdo the insulin, I should be allright. I am currently reducing the amounts to keep at a reasonable BG and hoping not to drop too low. I suppose I should try weighing myself and see if there's any further improvement there. I'm a bit wary of that though.
Full of admiration for your efforts and hope you achieve the balance between bg levels and amount of insulin. Is gently does it the way forward there?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They are really good. Even the sprout haters at home like them. Someone on a different thread mentioned doing them that way a year or so ago and I’ve never boiled them since.
Can stir fry them. In butter naturally. Cut into quarters. Add garlic, ginger, and cinnamon. Black pepper to taste when cooked but still crunchy.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Full of admiration for your efforts and hope you achieve the balance between bg levels and amount of insulin. Is gently does it the way forward there?

Yes - you are right. Gently does it is certainly the way. The question is, with the sudden improvement in BG levels, just how gently will keep it at around the 4 - 5 level and not to let it drop into the 3s and 2s all unawares. I have been on 65 units of Lantus overnight and 34 units of Humilin before each meal. To my mind that's a lot of insulin. Since dropping at least one meal a day, that has cut out 34 units and on the days when I only have one meal, I can drop another 34. That's all to the good. I have now reduced to 62 Lantus and 34 for one meal and will try later today to drop to 30 for the broth. That way I might be OK during the night.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Sounds as if you're making good progress. Keeping my fingers crossed that lowering insulin will help with weight loss too.
@maglil55 -- Thanks so much for your birthday wishes. Hugs.

Tried out my new kitchen gadgets yesterday.

Sous vide stick: Mixed some sheep milk with clotted cream. Heated mixture to 90 degrees and let it cool to 40 degrees, added a yoghurt with active cultures, and let it sit in a water bath at 38 degrees. Consistency is great, but I'll probably add less fat next time.

Pasta maker: Wonderful gadget, glad I got one with motor. Unfortunately, although the dough worked in the machine, it didn't cook very well. Kind of fell apart. I then did another batch of noodles and fried them in butter and olive oil, which worked okay. Will try the DD recipe next, thanks for the link, @DJC3.

Has anyone tried the pasta flour mix by Dr. Almond? https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...les-spaghetti-rice-low-carb-keto-gluten-free/. Only 1.6g of carbs per 100g of dry mix. It's a bit pricey, but might be worth it.

Reactions: DJC3