What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Arrived in London - sat nav unaware of ‘no right turn’ signs which caused us a few problems and both Paul and I had a headache by the time we found a way to the hotel.
Another near calamity was that Costa at Taunton Deane services was shut - always our first stop. Luckily I had bought a flask of coffee with me so we managed.
The feeling in my stomach is anxiety I know, so I don’t know why I keep mistaking it for hunger and eating - way too much today but I’ve decided to chill out a bit for the next day or 2 and stop giving myself a hard time. I won’t eat anything high carb - just doesn’t enter my head now, but constant grazing wouldn’t be good if it carried on.
Morning - a few(!) spoonfuls almond butter before setting off (to try to ease the butterflies)
Lunch egg Mayo in DD keto roll ( eaten in Mway services car park so as not to make the car pong), a bag of chorizo crisps and an Aldi nut bar somewhere along the route too.
Dinner - decided on room service as both of us too tired to feel like wandering out for a takeaway. Surprisingly good, ribeye steak with a fried egg and roast med veg. Glass of red.
Maybe another glass as a nightcap later.

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc sandwiches on smoked back bacon and a little 50% less sugar & salt ketchup. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Salmon fillet with sweet chilli and large side salad. Sweet - h/m gooey peanut butter thingy (becoming a habit I need to get out of but it is sooo good). Mug of earl grey tea.

I have also had a cadbury's hot chocolate highlights today to heat me up after I had came in from my walk. Also nibbled on mixed nuts - once I open the packet ...

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Arrived in London - sat nav unaware of ‘no right turn’ signs which caused us a few problems and both Paul and I had a headache by the time we found a way to the hotel.
Another near calamity was that Costa at Taunton Deane services was shut - always our first stop. Luckily I had bought a flask of coffee with me so we managed.
The feeling in my stomach is anxiety I know, so I don’t know why I keep mistaking it for hunger and eating - way too much today but I’ve decided to chill out a bit for the next day or 2 and stop giving myself a hard time. I won’t eat anything high carb - just doesn’t enter my head now, but constant grazing wouldn’t be good if it carried on.
Morning - a few(!) spoonfuls almond butter before setting off (to try to ease the butterflies)
Lunch egg Mayo in DD keto roll ( eaten in Mway services car park so as not to make the car pong), a bag of chorizo crisps and an Aldi nut bar somewhere along the route too.
Dinner - decided on room service as both of us too tired to feel like wandering out for a takeaway. Surprisingly good, ribeye steak with a fried egg and roast med veg. Glass of red.
Maybe another glass as a nightcap later.
Quite right chill out and be good to yourself - you deserve it! x

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 please be kind to yourself. There is no doubt that for me my stress can feel like hunger - you feel a bit empty when anxious as you say key is to eat low carb.youll get back to where you’d like to be, once these stressful few days are over meanwhile do take care. Good luck tomorrow I will be thinking of you.
I’d ordered some ketone bg test strips for my meter last week which arrived this morning I don’t test very often as are.1 pound per strip and hadn’t tested for 3 months this time I used to test once a week then moved to once a month so was relieved to measure 2.5 ketones this morning before eating. Good to know nutritional ketosis still happening but will wait at least a month before testing again.
Difficult care plan meeting this morning so unable to eat till lunchtime. Just had black coffee.
Lunch frittata made with one egg, two mushrooms and kimchi followed by coffee and 100% choc - about 20grams
Dinner Chinese spiced chicken with salad followed by hm lc raspberry pudding and spoon of extra thick cream.
Think will do 3 small meals tomorrow but two on Friday- as I’ve my hospital eye check appt on Friday first thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: spaghetti bolognese, no spaghetti for me, I had fried sliced courgette instead, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

Onlinecaroline

Lunch - 2 h/m courgette cakes with a heck chicken sausage, some chorizo, 2 poached eggs and avocado. Had a stressful morning so treated myself to something a bit more fancy than mashed eggs.

Dinner - H/m Katsu curry with bare naked rice and spoonful of kimchi.

Snack - cuppa with 2 squares of Mint Green and Blacks.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been MIA again so will post last couple of days.
My breakfast remains slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch Sunday was split and toasted Lizza toastie spread with chicken liver parfait.
Evening was roast chicken with buttery celeriac mash and broccoli.
Orange gin and soda before.
yesterday lunch was a spoon of coleslaw, spoon of Waldorf salad and small chunk cheese and slice ham.
Evening was cheese & tomato omelette. Gin and soda, more “try January” than “dry”.
today lunch will be toastie and remainder of pate.
Supper will be mini meatballs with tom & chilli sauce, cauli rice, broccoli.
Currently having finger of shortbread with my coffee as a treat after good FBG.
I've developed a liking for orange gin!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
skipped breakfast, then 1 online exercise class followed by a 90 minute hilly walk took me nicely to lunchtime
Salad with half a perfect avocado (that doesn't often happen!) with hot bacon. Ff greek with seeds and 6 blueberries. 1 lc scone from freezer as was still very hungry
D: 2 bratwurst with sauerkraut, broccoli and cauliflower. 1 tablespoon double cream with 10g 100%
Resisted temptation to have a glass of wine during a zoom meeting.

Been reading a book about fasting. Am OK with what am doing now, but still not sure about doing anything more extended. Mulling it over.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday 24 January - bed 6.3 FBG 6.4.

B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with 2 scrambled eggs.
L. Nothing
D. Usual campari and soda. GF Haggis, mashed turnip with butter and cauliflower mash. Few raspberries and cream.

Monday 25 January - bed 7.1 FBG 7.3

B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. More GF haggis with remains of turnip and veggie chips. 2 squares 85%.

Best of luck tomorrow @DJC3. Will be thinking of you.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I’ve been awol for a bit, just getting bogged down with stuff but haven’t strayed from low carb.
No point in going back over the last few days food - can’t remember what it was anyway.
Today I had one of the DD keto rolls split ( see Prev post), half topped with Brie and the other half with egg mayo. A low carb custard and sf jelly to follow.
Dinner https://www.livingchirpy.com/smoked-haddock-with-creamy-tomato-pepper-sauce/ with broccoli.
2 glasses red to take my mind off trip up to London in the morning for 6 monthly scan on Thurs. hotel, car park and hospital have all confirmed Reservations/appointments.
I've added that to my CMT. Looks good.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Thanks for the tag @shelley262 yes I make this DD recipe, @ziggy_w also makes it but uses whole eggs rather than egg whites I think. It works well, the only issue I’ve ever had is with one particular brand of psyllium husk which went purple when cooked - so I had pretty pink/ purple rolls
The ready prepared mix I had a problem with was Skinny Bread - entirely my fault as I thought the little sachet of yeast in it was a desiccant to keep the dry ingredients from going off, and chucked it away. Surprise surprise the bread didn’t rise!
I use Dr Almond bread mixes sometimes too, there are quite a few varieties and all have been pretty good, but expensive.
My favourite and most often made recipe is this https://hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns/ the rolls are quite dense and nutty which I really like. The recipe calls for 1/2 tab maple syrup and to begin with I used a sugar free variety, but now I don’t put it in at all and I can’t taste the difference.
Oh interest that @ziggy_w uses the whole eggs, I would buy the egg whites from the supermarket when I could find it as didn't like wasting the yolks as no idea what to do with them apart from making mayonaise which I don't eat much

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast
Scrambled eggs on sourdough toast black coffee

2 lamb cutlets with green beans and broccolini dressed with garlicky oil dressing

Brunch
Sourdough toast with butter and all low carb natural st dalfour Four fruits jam that has 2.34g carbs per serve.

Lunch

Dinner at pub salt and pepper calamari with some salad and chips. Gin and tonic

Breaky Scrambled eggs with ham on sourdough toast black coffee

Dinner defrosted 3 chicken rissoles with tomato sauce and made some creamy home-made mash potatoes ate only 2 rissoles must say enjoyed this meal and was very filling perhaps more carbs then intended

bsl 6.4 @ 11.32am
Breakfast scrambled eggs with 5 Sorrento/cherry tomatoes black coffee

Bsl 4.8 @ 4.49pm
Snack few pistachios and cashews black coffee

Dinner not sure brought some chicken breast and chicken Maryland's bone so may grill the chicken breast and have a salad. And freeze chicken Maryland they take longer too cook because of bone and not in mood to wait that long for meal LOL... I normally buy a whole chicken and cut up myself as the skin is still on it but didn't feel like cutting up chicken tonight but it annoys me that you can't buy deboned chicken peices with skin on it any more.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hungry day yesterday...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A slice of Aldi protein bread with h/m mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Lunch: One fried duck breast with a bit of h/m sate sauce.

Dinner: Another slice of Aldi protein bread with brie and bresaola. 24g of 88% chocolate. Dry red wine.

@DJC3 -- Thinking of you today.
@shelley262 -- So sorry about the flooding. Hope things normalize soon.
@annabell1 -- Not using any eggs in the bread recipe, I found it's not needed even though the recipe calls for it. However, when making mayonnaise, I feel a bit wasteful throwing out the egg whites. So in the past, I've sometimes made some macaroons with the leftover eggwhites or some amarettini if I had some extra time on my hands.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-for-savoy-cabbage-and-fennel-sausage-lasagne

My husband spotted this recipe and we've had it for dinner the last two evenings. We both really enjoyed it. Savoy cabbage makes a great pasta substitute. The flavours were more combined the second day. Next time I will make more to freeze (I'll crumble the sausage into smaller bits too).

Yesterday I had:

B: Yoghurt, berries and toasted seeds
L: Cheese omelette
D: savoy cabbage and fennel sausage lasagne (recipe link above).
Snacks and drinks: red wine, pork scratchings.

Have a good day all.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch - 2 h/m courgette cakes with a heck chicken sausage, some chorizo, 2 poached eggs and avocado. Had a stressful morning so treated myself to something a bit more fancy than mashed eggs.

Dinner - H/m Katsu curry with bare naked rice and spoonful of kimchi.

Snack - cuppa with 2 squares of Mint Green and Blacks.
Nothing wrong with mashed eggs and butter. As I keep calling it - nursery food! Pleasant memories mashed in a cup with butter and a touch of salt.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.1 FBG was also 6.1. Still running around in circles.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC with ox tongue and edam done in my Lakeland toastie maker. OK I know it's a bit odd but it tasted fine.
L. Nothing
D. Eating through the freezer again so I removed another Iceland wild shrimp with tomato and chilli and added cauliflower rice, mushrooms, tomatoes, frozen peas and some red curry. 2 squares 85%.

@DJC3 - Hope all went well today. I can sympathise with the road challenge. I remember well being stuck on the inner ring in Leeds being able to see where I wanted to get to but unable to get off that flaming road to do it! @ziggy_w - loved the wine dinner. Brought back a memory from my working days when a friend & I ended up in the same hotel on business. A couple of drinks turned into a liquid dinner. When we saw our bills the next day we decided to pay a fair whack of it. An itemised alcoholic bill does not look good on expenses! @shelley262 - how are the flood defences holding up?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh interest that @ziggy_w uses the whole eggs, I would buy the egg whites from the supermarket when I could find it as didn't like wasting the yolks as no idea what to do with them apart from making mayonaise which I don't eat much
Low carb creme brulee. It uses 6 egg yolks.
thehealingspoon.com/instant-pot-keto-creme-brulee/

Reactions: annabell1

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 Bewdleys flood defences collapsed on east side and flooded 30 properties dreadful for them but river has dropped again now - just smelly mud left behind! Also seems to take about a year to get flooded properties dried out and repaired. Some had just moved back or were about to after sorting things after the floods caused by barriers failing last time a year ago. I’m just relieved we live up the hill very sad for those involved. As flood barriers failed for second time in a year an investigation is underway.
@DJC3 have been thinking of you today.
Today’s food
Busy and not hungry so black coffee until lunchtime
Lunch two boiled eggs and one slice of hm lc thickly buttered bread
Mid pm 20g of 100% chocolate
Dinner two lamb chops,stuffed mushrooms, salad and raita with glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine followed by lemon and lime SF jelly with spoon of extra thick cream.
Need to be off early in am for my annual eye screening at local hospital which was due early last year but got cancelled due to CV. Keen to go as last one picked up some minor problems didn’t need treatment but they wanted to monitor it crossing fingers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken with bacon, cheese and leak with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.