What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, I remember Chalky, he was the undoubted star.
This eatery is just a beachfront fish cafe, it’s more casual than his flagship Padstow restaurant but still serves excellent quality food.
Chalky was quite a character. A bit like Sykes, another wonderful character of a dog. I loved watching Sykes in his role as Harvey in one of the ads (although his fame was cemented in Midsomer Murders).

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Just one large(ish) meal today,

Tuna patties (tin of tuna mixed with egg, cheddar and mozzarella, formed into patties and fried) - not very keen on those, won't make them again! I think I'm not into fish any more, which is odd, I used to love it.
Small bowl of braised steak in marrow bone broth
Greek yogurt and sour cream for pudding.

Weight loss has stalled for a couple of days, fair enough, I would have been a bit worried if it carried on at the rate it was!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday April 2 bed 7.9 FBG 6.1. I still haven't rid myself of this cold, but I have to carry on. The smallest effort is knocking us both for six.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast one with egg mayo, one with cheese and onion. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. 2 beef olives with carrot, onion, and sprouts. Scoop of Halo Top with raspberries.

Wednesday 3 April bed 8.1 FBG 7.8. BGs are still all over the place. They drop fairly rapidly, but I'm not bothering much as it is this bug that is the root of the problem.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free.

L. 3 of these individual cheese portions.

D. 3 cold, cooked chicken drumsticks. Scoop of Halo Top. I just can't be bothered.

Thursday 4 April bed 7.4 FBG 7.1 I had to force myself out today to buy food. Weather is still atrocious.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo again. Benecol dairy free.

L. Nothing

D. Forced myself to make a stir fry with the Argentinian wild shrimp. I just cooked it all in one wok. Shrimp, pak choi, peppers, mushrooms, peas, spring onion, chicken stock, and SRSLY sweet chilli, oh, and soy. Halo Top with raspberries.
It doesn't take long to cook, thankfully.
20240404_185353.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs smothered with butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of goat's milk Gouda.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Wild Alaskan salmon fillets baked with heading broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, rocket, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, cucumber, Halkidiki olives and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pistachio nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 cheeses with 2 slices hm lc soda bread
L: hm coleslaw and 2 slices ham. A cc chocolate pot with greek yoghurt.
Tried blind taste testing 2 yoghurts. 1 was my usual lidls creamy greek style the second was their high protein low fat greek style. Neither hubby nor I could tastes any difference at all, however the first is nearly half the price the second per 100g. (Today I got the high protein one free on a coupon).
D: steak with 2 portobello mushrooms and buttered leeks with cabbage.

Later at pub, 1 glass red wine, 1 mint tea

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Well, yesterday was a huge disappointment. With the wind gusting, the rain and the cold, we were frozen! We did manage to see some animals but they were wiser than us, most of them kept out of the awful weather! Foodwise, it was also disappointing so I won't bother you with the details.Today I will be more careful. I'm having lunch out but have air fried chicken drumsticks for tea. I must get back to the lc way. Have a good day all, enjoy the sunshine. :happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was scrambled eggs (in butter) with a tables spoon of edamame beans mixed through. Wasn't very filling so I shall definitely be having something else later. I have a steak in the fridge which will do very nicely.

BG is still in the 4 - 5's. BP has dropped to a more reasonable level. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: Oops! Libre ran out so I checked with a fingerprick and it was 2.9 and I didn't feel a thing. Rapid action needed but I couldn't get to any of my emergency supplies so had to have a KitKat biscuit (Em's stock). It was all I could reach. Headache developing now. The builders didn't tell me they were turning the water off. Luckily I had my full bottle of water.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all! @Annb, thank goodness you caught that hypo!

Well, I am a proud cloud today... I've been to the supermarket a few times lately without buying anything off plan, and using online shopping a lot so I'm not tempted in the store. But today was different - today the temptation was of the really strong variety. Those round cob loaves that smell so good, the pack of salad potatoes - but I picked them up and put them back. And checked out with my chicken thighs and a red onion (I'm planning to use a tiny bit of finely chopped onion for flavouring).

I did it, I overcame the strong temptation for the first time. If you don't count a rather embarrassingly long time loitering at the bread counter inhaling deeply!

Today:
small glass of kefir - grains are awake!
Pork crackling
2 crispy skin chicken thighs
greek yogurt with sour cream

I am planning some beef mince for tea but don't feel hungry at the moment, so will see.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The salmon was fine - baked with lime juice, double cream and butter and I actually managed to poach the eggs properly this time using a tip from the late, lamented Dave Myers. He said, if you put the egg, still in its shell, into the simmering water for 30 seconds, then break the egg into a cup or somesuch and proceed to dropping it into the simmering water as usual, the egg holds together much better while poaching. It works.

It will not, however, be enough for the day, I'm pretty hungry so when I can get to the fridge, I'll have some ham.

Not my weigh-in day so I don't know what's happening with it, but I do know that my clothes are a bit looser, particularly over my huge stomach. That's just in a few days.
I'd forgotten that tip. I'll do it next time (together with the dash of vinegar). I'll miss the Hairy Bikers. I have most of their books. That was quite a memorial ride out by the 3000 Bikers to Scarborough.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Antje, and thanks Shelley, for your concern. I haven't checked BP again yet, but will do shortly. I do have an issue with high BP and take Diltiazem to help with it but in the past it has been even higher (I was younger then, of course). My brother told me that at that level, I should be dead! Not that it would be that high afterwards, of course. If it doesn't drop, I will contact the surgery in the morning.
I hope your BP has stabilised now. The only time I had BP that high was my accident. The consultant did say getting hit twice by a 40t articulated lorry tends to do that! You don't say??

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back home after an amazing - despite non stop rain - day in Brum
Small kefir Early before leaving home
On arrival in Brum an excellent small cortada
Early lunch at Thai Rosas - excellent I went for two starters both kebabs one chicken one pork liquid is an amazing ginger tea served with it.
PXL_20240410_115145849-2.jpg

Then went to matinee performance by CBSO very uplifting and enjoyable. After went to Dishoom again went for kebab option this time lamb with salad and a delicious raita plus glass of Sicilian organic grillo wine.
PXL_20240410_162003045.MP.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: liver in onion gravy with cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

2024-04-10 19.19.50.jpeg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Well, yesterday was a huge disappointment. With the wind gusting, the rain and the cold, we were frozen! We did manage to see some animals but they were wiser than us, most of them kept out of the awful weather! Foodwise, it was also disappointing so I won't bother you with the details.Today I will be more careful. I'm having lunch out but have air fried chicken drumsticks for tea. I must get back to the lc way. Have a good day all, enjoy the sunshine. :happy:
How disappointing! @RosemaryJackson. A return visit is called for and, hope against hope, in fine weather.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: fat free greek style yoghurt with seeds.
Walk to garden centre (40 minutes) bought present for someone, walked back. (30 mins) Quite proud as would have been easy to take the car, this way I only bought what was needed as knew I had to carry it, and getting steps in too.

Bit of gardening.

L: ham and coleslaw in lettuce wrap. 50g cheese and 3 seed crackers

Mid afternoon 2 sqs hm lc rhubarb cake

D: hubby cooked (he's learning). Omelette with peppers and tomato and cheese (far too many peppers for both my bg and my taste, and far too little cheese and he cooked it in huge pan so it was very flat). Next time will be better.
Fat free greek with a few walnuts and 1 sq 85% chocolate

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all! @Annb, thank goodness you caught that hypo!

Well, I am a proud cloud today... I've been to the supermarket a few times lately without buying anything off plan, and using online shopping a lot so I'm not tempted in the store. But today was different - today the temptation was of the really strong variety. Those round cob loaves that smell so good, the pack of salad potatoes - but I picked them up and put them back. And checked out with my chicken thighs and a red onion (I'm planning to use a tiny bit of finely chopped onion for flavouring).

I did it, I overcame the strong temptation for the first time. If you don't count a rather embarrassingly long time loitering at the bread counter inhaling deeply!
Congratulations @jpscloud on resisting temptation.

Call me a cynic, but I suspect our local Waitrose store re-heated selected loaves of bread to generate a tempting aroma and create the impression it was freshly baked on the premises. The firm has since quietly dropped the practice.

I do believe food scents have a powerful effect on our gastric juices.

Once again, well done you!