1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Begal with tofu, tomato, green onion, vegan mayo, lettuce n shredded carrots n coffee
    BG pre = 5.3
    BG post = 5.3 1557076376603.jpg

2. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@gennepher hello to you on this thread. I check in here when I can. I love the idea of chocolate with coffee to start the day....so decadent! Though very interesting you cant tolerate chocolate or fruit cocktail bg wise later in the day. I am completely the opposite and have to eat very carefully until evening. We are all unique.
    Today I had my usual breakfast one slice HiLo toast butter two mugs tea.
    Late morning OH and I drove to the coast and had a four mile walk. We wrapped up well but actually it was very pleasant with no cold wind unlike yesterday. At the end we had some very excellent cod with chips for OH. It was delicious, not too big or too much batter and lovely thick flakes. Thanks to the walk my BG didnt suffer.
    I have made braised beef in red wine, toms and garlic and thyme for supper but wont be having big portions and I will freeze the rest.
    I have more deli food in fridge than I need for next few days....anyone ever put Scotch eggs in the freezer?

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Chook beef short rib is one of my favourites. And it seems to be almost always on offer at Waitrose - bought some more today.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    Thank you.
    I was fed up with doing various suggested ideas in various places. Especially from my dietician who believes 100% in the NHS eatwell plate, who by the way would have apoplectic (is that how you spell it?) fit with my current idea of eating.
    So I started with the idea I love chocolate, and that I love tinned fruit & cream (and other bits with it).
    So found best time of day to eat them.
    Then the meat and veg (but today I didn’t fancy veg at all) fitted later in the day and generally my blood glucose was good later in evening, and first thing in morning.

I shall see what happens.

Coastal walk sounds very good. Sounds like it was fresh fish in that cod and chips.

>^..^<

• Like Like x 4
  5. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

What, no seagull?:angelic:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I've got a big lump of brisket I'm going to dust with a spicy rub and then cook it @Goonergal style in the slow cooker tomorrow. Some for me (hot) and some for Mr C's packed work meal on Tuesday. Actually, looking at it, it might well actually do us both two days! I

I'm not actually doing Meaty May, just cutting back the other stuff.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Lunch: cold bbq chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
    Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar with a black coffee.
    Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.
    (No Sunday tea at the ILs this week, so no Jaffa cake! :()

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. ianpspurs

3 targets today - part 3 of one of them still to meet.
    Breakfast; TWAM. low key 3 pint jobby; Mid morning 10.00; 1 tsp almond butter, 1 tblsp cream cheese in 2 sticks celery - that combo better than either ingredient on its own; Pre lunch cocoa sans cream; Lunch about 20 gms pine nuts then h/g asparagus, mushrooms and portion of leftover crustless quiche (bacon and mushroom) cooked in saved beef dripping, h/m mayo ; Evening meal: 3 chicken? thighs marinaded in mildest Nandos lemon and herb doins, broccoli. Very hungry so ate 2 babybels and chunk of oak smoked cheddar,
    Nandos trial was part 1 - ok but would have been unhappy to have that if eating out. 3 half hour exercise episodes target 2 - 30 mins_ exercise bike to come. Target 3 was getting 80% plus of vitamin and mineral targets hit = done.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #27088 ianpspurs, May 5, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  9. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Rachox how will you manage without your weekly Jaffa cake?
    @Goonergal well donesorting your home enjoy your rest
    @gennepher welcome to the thread look forward to your menus.
    @PenguinMum fish at the seaside sounds wonderful living in midlands don’t see the sea very often!
    I played truant today and went for 10 milewalk through local forests wow the bluebells this year are stunning.
    Breakfast sausage and egg
    Lunch coffee with cream from flask as out on hike
    Dinner steak, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms with glass dry red wine followed by rhubarb with yoghurt and cream and just had decaf coffee with cream and two squares of montezumas100% absolut black chocolate.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. PenguinMum

@ianpspurs how wonderful to grow your own asparagus!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Your day in bluebell woods sounds good!

>^..^<

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. PenguinMum

Hi have eyed up the beef shortrib at Waitrose but havent tried it. I dont like pork belly but have you any suggestions how to cook it without anything other than an oven or pans. TIA.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ianpspurs

There was a bed here that my dad started but I moved things around plus was over enthusiastic with a rotavator, The new bed is just getting properly established as we are selling up will have to start again.

• Hug Hug x 3
  14. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Evening all. Still have family round and staying overnight so just a quick post for me.
    B: boiled egg with asparagus to dip.
    Late lunch: The DD pesto chicken and feta - a good meal for feeding a crowd- with buttered cabbage ( and new potatoes for those who wanted them). Cheese afterwards and red wine during. Found these crackers in Asda, 3.9 g carbs each. Good for emergency cheese and biscuit occasions when there are no lc seedy crackers around.
    IMG_7295.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
  15. shelley262

I love the short rib you could do it slow cooked in sealed casserole in low temp oven just like other casseroles but for longer time as bigger bits. Fat just melts away. I use cheap slow cooker as so easy just stick in after breakfast with stock and leave all day!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #27095 shelley262, May 5, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  16. shelley262

These wOuld be great for OH and mum who are lowering carbs but don’t want to go too low well done on finding them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. PenguinMum

Thanks so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Yes absolutely, 2 of my daughters are trying to do just that.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  19. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed fish, salad.
    Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.
    Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  20. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Short rib can easily be done in the oven. Simply add about 100mls of water to a roasting tin, add the short rib, cover tin with foil and cook on a low temperature (gas 3) for about 2.5 to 3 hours. The meat juices do me for gravy - not a big one for sauces, but sure the sauce that @Chook mentioned for her short rib yesterday would work just as well using a pan.

This method works for short rib weighing half a kilo to 600g ish (pre cooked weight), so adjust if cooking more or less.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook