What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w - it's not that simple to replace it. The car is leased. They are prepared to let me end the lease but I'd have to go back to square one and start a brand new lease. I'd end up out of pocket because I put cash into the new car to get the features that benefit me with my disability. With a new lease I'd have to pay for these changes all over again. I would eventually get a pro rata refund but I'd still end up out of pocket as I've barely had the car the last 5 months but it would still come off the refund. I'm hoping it's fixed this time. Took it on the dual carriageway today and it sounds right this time - it didn't before.
Anyway, I'm way behind again.
Saturday 28 September
Bed 7.7 FBG 7.2.

B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing - out shopping, hubby at football.
D. Went for the easy option - slice each ox tongue, bit chicken, roast beef, pork luncheon meat. Lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, coleslaw.
Raspberries, DGF brownie and cream.

Sunday 29 September

Bed 7.7 FBG 7.

B. Fried egg, slice back bacon and 2 pork, tomato and mozzarella sausages. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing.
D. Cooked a half leg of lamb in the IP with veggies and gravy. It was like butter - yummy. Had it with spinach and cauliflower mash.
Raspberries, strawberries and cream. Usual campari and soda.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w - it's not that simple to replace it. The car is leased. They are prepared to let me end the lease but I'd have to go back to square one and start a brand new lease. I'd end up out of pocket because I put cash into the new car to get the features that benefit me with my disability. With a new lease I'd have to pay for these changes all over again. I would eventually get a pro rata refund but I'd still end up out of pocket as I've barely had the car the last 5 months but it would still come off the refund. I'm hoping it's fixed this time. Took it on the dual carriageway today and it sounds right this time - it didn't before.
Anyway, I'm way behind again.
Saturday 28 September
Bed 7.7 FBG 7.2.

B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing - out shopping, hubby at football.
D. Went for the easy option - slice each ox tongue, bit chicken, roast beef, pork luncheon meat. Lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, coleslaw.
Raspberries, DGF brownie and cream.

Sunday 29 September

Bed 7.7 FBG 7.

B. Fried egg, slice back bacon and 2 pork, tomato and mozzarella sausages. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing.
D. Cooked a half leg of lamb in the IP with veggies and gravy. It was like butter - yummy. Had it with spinach and cauliflower mash.
Raspberries, strawberries and cream. Usual campari and soda.
Hug for car problems not the food.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up to Monday now Bed 7 FBG 7.7. Still have a niggling sore throat and a stuffy nose but it doesn't seem to be morphing into anything.
@Annb - I agree with @ianpspurs and @DJC3, hang in there. We're all different and it takes time to find a path that works. I'd forgotten about the mashed eggs with butter. They came up a while ago as they reminded me of my childhood. @DJC3 - Hope you are OK (still reading the posts) but sorry, I did have a smile at Dennis's licks).

B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing - was at Aqua.
D. Rack of ribs with a chimichurri rub, coleslaw and a little salad.
2 bits G&B mint chocolate.

Really liking the hire car they gave me. Toyota CHR hybrid. Fuel economy is amazing! And I won £139 on the lottery! Fear not, I have new disasters coming.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
12g per small bag. Very tasty.

The almond butter comes out much more easily than the pip and nut variety, but I needed to add some salt.
Optimum nutrition do really good protein nuts. The dark chocolate truffle and the cinnamon ones are lovely. I got them in Tesco but I'm struggling to find them now other than in boxes of 12. I did track them down on Ebay at a not bad price but the expiry date was this month.
If anyone spots them let me know please.

Where did you get the chicken crackling?

Reactions: Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was a bit earlier than usual - about 10.30, because I was very hungry and, anyway, I thought my cleaner lady would be coming so I should get food out of the way. Turns out she's not coming until tomorrow afternoon. Decision now - take all the stuff off the bed, or sleep in the kitchen chair again. Probably I'll sleep in my own bed and take some time to put it all back on the bed in the morning before I go out (Podiatry appointment to check my circulation).

Anyway, I had 2 thin slices of black pudding with the remaining smoked mackerel in cream. The 2 went well together and I enjoyed it. The cream took the edge off the peppery-ness of the black pudding. Not too many carbs or too many calories, I think. Didn't stop me feeling hungry though but I'll have to wait until later on today for anything else.

Later it will be a pork spare rib and some roasted, spiced cauliflower.

I daresay my BG will be up by this evening but eating far too little isn't a great idea.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Waking at 4.30 is not fun anymore - side effect of Tamsulosin along with dizziness/low blood pressure. Tea until I had a CCB at 2.00 pm. Evening was celeriac lasagne - mandolin may be used more times this year - mozzarella slices instead of a sauce with avocado, cucumber, pea shoot and flowers side salad. Celeriac lasagne is a keeper for taste as is addition of small amounts of bovril. Not feeling any love for cold, dark, stupid number of layers again.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 congrats on your lottery win - very cheering, and for the nice new hire car.
@ianpspurs tell me more about your celeriac lasagne - did you cook the celeriac strips first? It’s a really nice idea to use mozzarella instead of the faff of making sauce.

Today I had scrambled eggs and spinach for brunch. CWC also.
Went to a funeral and didn’t intend to eat anything at the afterwards do but the food looked good. Polished off a pot of olives first, then 2 chicken wings then a really dainty looking cone - like a mini ice cream waffle cone filled with cream cheese, smoked salmon and walnuts. It was very small but probably shouldn’t have had it. 4x gin&sodas ( funerals always make me want a few drinks)
D: couple of handfuls almonds and Brazil nuts when I got home then more freezer clearings - chicken curry. Sf jelly&cream then Montezuma’s absolute black
Too much food probably, funerals make me feel unsettled.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 congrats on your lottery win - very cheering, and for the nice new hire car.
@ianpspurs tell me more about your celeriac lasagne - did you cook the celeriac strips first? It’s a really nice idea to use mozzarella instead of the faff of making sauce.

Today I had scrambled eggs and spinach for brunch. CWC also.
Went to a funeral and didn’t intend to eat anything at the afterwards do but the food looked good. Polished off a pot of olives first, then 2 chicken wings then a really dainty looking cone - like a mini ice cream waffle cone filled with cream cheese, smoked salmon and walnuts. It was very small but probably shouldn’t have had it. 4x gin&sodas ( funerals always make me want a few drinks)
D: couple of handfuls almonds and Brazil nuts when I got home then more freezer clearings - chicken curry. Sf jelly&cream then Montezuma’s absolute black
Too much food probably, funerals make me feel unsettled.
No cooking of celeriac, just thinnest setting on mandolin. Used 1 quite small celeriac and 1 pack of 10 mozzarella slices - 25 gms each 2.1% carb - 1 portion left for another day. Big idea(s) were no acid reflux and no faff for Julie. Spent the morning looking for keto sauce - all of which I didn't want and were too faffy so I decided to try mozzarella slices. Worked for us but YMMV - named it celagne.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out with a friend at Patisserie Valerie: eggs Royale with mushrooms instead of brioche.
Mid afternoon: phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom and cheddar omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Yesterday
No B
L: more lovely Tescos chicken wings :D
D: garlic chilli buttered prawns with oomi noodles :wacky:

Today
No B
L: tuna cheese cream oomi noodle bake type thing :happy:
D: lamb burglars with aoli :woot:

And I finally got round to baking that lo dough choc brownie kit. It is cooling now. Will report back later.

Had a fab dog walk today. They scampered magnificently from start to finish, rugby tackles, Chase Me! Running donut circles, commando rolls, chest bumps, truffle hunting, wrestling and tooth clashing. A good time had by all. Even gave a rather portly 8 yr old cocker spaniel a run for her money.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No cooking of celeriac, just thinnest setting on mandolin. Used 1 quite small celeriac and 1 pack of 10 mozzarella slices - 25 gms each 2.1% carb - 1 portion left for another day. Big idea(s) were no acid reflux and no faff for Julie. Spent the morning looking for keto sauce - all of which I didn't want and were too faffy so I decided to try mozzarella slices. Worked for us but YMMV - named it celagne.

Love it, thanks

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - I do wish you well with the ongoing chemo and hope for minimal downsides for you. I was thinking about you on Tuesday (which is the latest day I'm about to post) as I finally got a Skinny Bread made and it's the best one yet.
Tuesday 1 October bed 7.1 FBG 7.3
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Having got the Skinny bread made I had what I was longing for - 2 slices still warm Skinny Bread with lurpack, lettuce, tomato and mayo. It was wonderful.
D. Got another of these Iceland wild red shrimp in chilli and tomato Filled it out with one mushroom (sliced), spinach, oomi noodles, santini tomatoes and a dash of cream (as I'd stupidly added more paprika having forgotten there was already a lot of heat in it).
Raspberries, strawberries and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other week when I happened to be outside HC in Brum waiting for it to open, I witnessed the cocoa whip making process. They mix it each morning in a bowl (plain whipping cream with cocoa and a little sugar) and then transfer it to the ice-cream-maker-like machine that produces the nice swirly effect. No freezers involved.
That's useful to know. I may end up adding the ice cream bowl to my Kenwood this year.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waking at 4.30 is not fun anymore - side effect of Tamsulosin along with dizziness/low blood pressure. Tea until I had a CCB at 2.00 pm. Evening was celeriac lasagne - mandolin may be used more times this year - mozzarella slices instead of a sauce with avocado, cucumber, pea shoot and flowers side salad. Celeriac lasagne is a keeper for taste as is addition of small amounts of bovril. Not feeling any love for cold, dark, stupid number of layers again.
Be careful @ianpspurs with the dizziness/LBP. My brother had dreadful problems with it but having gone down a few times he learned that getting upright was a slow, gradual move.