1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Soup turned out delicious and very filling, and the hangover has vanished!
    It didn't look very appetising but this was easily solved by cutting some parsley over my bowl and adding piping hot* walnuts from the oven :)

Recipe here, if you want to try: https://www.copymethat.com/r/VTEvYAg/celeriacparsley-rootblue-cheese-soup/

[​IMG]

*) Literally piping hot! I googled the phrase to make sure I used it right, and found out it comes from the sizzling sound of hot food. The walnutes definitely piped when I added them to the hot soup! :happy:
    "In Scotland, ceremonial dishes of food are often brought to the table to the accompaniment of bagpipes, that is, they are 'piped in'. This could easily be imagined to be the origin of 'piping hot'. It isn't though. Nor does the phrase derive from food being 'piped aboard' ships. The derivation of this little phrase is the sizzling, whistling sound made by steam escaping from very hot food, which is similar to the sound of high-pitched musical pipes."

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was working today so ate three small meals to keep me incentivised!
    Breakfast two slices of bacon and fried egg on one slice of hm lc toast
    Lunch one slice of my hm lc toast with pate followed by one DGF millionaires shortbread with coffee
    Dinner hm chicken curry with two gin and sodas followed by DGF salted caramel blondie with cream.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. OzBlossom

OzBlossom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What is the caramel syrup that you like? I bought one - "The Coffee Professor" brand. It's ok for my tastebuds but not fabulous so I'm still searching for options.

Now onto food!

Lunch (another big day working): Protein meal shake + cashew milk instead of water + psyllium, 3 x keto-friendly coffees
    Dinner: I missed the memo that it should have been crispy chinese duck :) so instead I had cream of mushroom soup, smoked salmon, green leaf and radish salad, 3 pieces SF dark choc, stevia hot chocolate

Trying out cashew milk at the moment, though not tried it in tea yet. Actually I've been missing my pots of tea since I used to like my tea with lots of milk, so will have to do a comparison of cashew versus almond milk.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
    L: tuna and mayo with a new find, a jar of Polish green tomato salad. 8g carbs per 100 but only had about 30g. Thought it would be very sharp vinegar but was mild and very tasty. Will buy more but they are 800g jars
    Made some cheese and seed crackers. Very tasty. Will post recipe soon, just need to tweak it a bit first
    D: part of a steak that was tough and chewy, so shared it with the cats.
    Dessert of 1 sq 70% chopped with 1 brazil nut and a tablespoon of cream.

Evening bits, glass of red wine and some almond stuffed olives

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Duck and lamb

3FF757FF-B2B3-4599-BCE1-C6F7FF276D9A.jpeg F516D553-2C8B-43A9-A5BC-49941AF78B9B.jpeg 8D1B9F4D-FCBE-4BDC-B2CF-D0E9E48AD6CE.jpeg 1F950AB4-FDCA-46E8-81BB-114F910D4810.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. lucas1986

lucas1986 · Member

Yep I like the peanut and fudge one. It's good if you keep an eye on your CGM though before you start downing boxes of them because you might react differently to me - personally my glucose barely moves when I eat one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lucas1986

lucas1986 · Member

Today I been going crazy on halloumi. YUM

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. Choosehappy

Choosehappy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I tried a fattbar that I bought from Amazon recently they are 1-2 carbs per bar and laiden with healthy fats and barely any sugar (around 1.2 natural sugars depending on flavour some 0-no added keto friendly) also they do not have any viscous laxative ingredients and come in some really nice flavours. Very happy girlie

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to adore Mon Cherie - dark chocolate, cherry & cherry brandy. You're correct., it should be doable.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. notepadplusplus

notepadplusplus Other · Well-Known Member

Lunch: 2 Asda "extra special" pork sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms fried in butter
    Dinner is going to be: 2 salmon fillets and some green beans

Never bought premium supermarket brand stuff before, but I figured I rarely eat sausages/processed meat so why not buy ones that are lower in carbohydrates and fillers. Incredibly meaty and less "soft" compared to the cheaper stuff. Well worth the cost, £4 for 12 sausages.

Edit: Does contain some dextrose, but you can't win it all can you ;)

• Like Like x 9
  11. Choosehappy

Choosehappy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I also highly recommend Heck Sausages - Chicken Italia, I get mine from Tesco/Asda now and again for a lower fat/salt sausage option and we love them! Really tasty with some scrambled egg :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. maglil55

Miles behind again. Wednesday bed 7.2 FBG 7.4 Thursday bed 6.2 FBG 6.8. Can I just say I am so happy I have never, ever liked nut butters judging from the number who could eat it with a spoon. Probably down to my belief nothing should be done to nuts - just shell and eat as they are.
    Wednesday
    B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue
    And whipped cheese
    L. Nothing
    D. Knocked together a cauliflower rice risotto with spring onion, mixed wild mushrooms, parmesan and a dash of cream. 2 squares of 85%.

Thursday
    B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
    L. Nothing
    D. Boys were here and I'd made a lamb casserole in the IP with loads of veggies. Had it with cauli mash & fresh peas. Later bit of DGF bakewell with raspberries and a dash of cream.

Edited to include Wednesday.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #41852 maglil55, Nov 15, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  13. maglil55

Can't object to nutmeg (although Granny might have ).

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Breakfast smoked salmon scrambled egg and avocado.
    Lunch/ dinner was DD keto lasagna and salad with a couple of glasses of red wine.
    I made the pasta sheets yesterday and left them to cool on the kitchen counter, there were 4 in all. A couple of hours later there were 3. Our dog Dennis is a thieving scavenger but can’t reach the counter top. Daughter’s Great Dane Melody can easily reach the counter surface but is supremely uninterested in food. Hmm! We suspected Dennis might have cajoled Melody into pulling the food down into the floor for him. By this morning it was very obvious in the most revolting way that Dennis had definitely eaten it. Happily this didn’t put us off and we enjoyed the meal.
    @Choosehappy I also like Heck sausages and Waitrose 1 Cumberland.
    @maglil55 I envy your indifference to nut butters.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening all.

@DJC3 loving the doggy capers in the kitchen.
    @Choosehappy I’m another. Waitrose 1 Cumberland sausage fan. 0.8g carb per 2 sausages and very tasty.

Ate an enormous lunch today. Starter - well it turned out to be the starter, began as the entire meal - of 2 small pork belly strips cut into pieces, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried. Was still hungry so air fried some lamb ribs which had been rubbed with lemon pepper.

Have since had some extra thick double cream with 20g Lindt 90%. Thinking about something small for dinner but not sure what.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Today’s food: B= 1.5 Ls TWAM with inulin and sweetener; Dockey: Dr A’s chocky, wocky woo then SF caramel AM latte ; L= I ordered a Costa CWC and SF caramel - taste didn’t match but Libre not overly bothered ; EM - 6.30 ish: Roast pork, roast toms and mushies, mashed swede (black pepper and butter) + normal gravy. Glass "free" Cypriot red. I was cold and this was sold to me as warm food "because all that salad makes you cold". I'm suing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #41856 ianpspurs, Nov 15, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  17. maglil55

The Lidl 95% is more like 100% elsewhere. Very strong and bitter. Try Lindt 90% - it's very different.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all another three small meals day:
    Breakfast one chipolata one rasher bacon and egg with slice of LC hm bread toasted
    Lunch one piece of lc toast with pate followed by DGF millionaires shortbread
    Dinner slow cooked beef brisket with roast swede and cauliflower cheese and glass of red wine followed by DGF salted caramel brownie with extra thick cream.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. maglil55

Supermarkets do a lot of gluten free sausages that tend to be very low in carbs. I'm lucky, I have a butcher that does quite a selection of GF sausages. As someone else mentioned, Heck are pretty good and the Farmer's Daughter? Is another.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. maglil55

Here's a new sacrilege. Ever considered turnip dauphinoise?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook