1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Tori71

Tori71 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Bit of a red letter day! Can't wait to try the chips

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Thanks. Will look into that. Not sure about the no dairy bit. Adore my cream and cheese. Having polished off way too much almond butter and cream yesterday night have now banned nut butters and sweeteners until Christmas. Trying to stick to animal based only, but main aim is to stop the sweet cravings but they’re definitely psychological cravings.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
    Lunch: M&S ham and cheddar rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
    Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding with a black coffee.
    Dinner: chicken supreme with cauliflower rice and mixed veg followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Thanks for all the hugs and kind wishes. They definitely helped a lot.

A bit of a frustrating day again. Blood sugars were high even without food. They dropped when eating only to rise again about two and half hours after food.

So, I decided to put up a fight. No dinner and lots of exercise. Finally, blood sugars started moving downwards and are now sitting at 5.0. I am curious to see what happens tomorrow morning.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A small DD keto roll with mayonnaise, beef salami and gouda cheese. Two tablespoons of lupin-hummus.

Snack: Three squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Nothing plus 65 minutes on the elliptical trainer burning 850 calories.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Very early somewhat naughty breakfast in more ways than one: a stolen sneaky sliver of husband's ham & chicken pie, nicked from fridge when I went downstairs to refill my little bottle of chilled water; later, coffee with cream and truvia

No lunch

Dinner: spicy "Persian" minced lamb and fried aubergine with fresh mint, lime juice and Greek yoghurt; chocolate hazelnut muffin with a couple of teaspoons of Meridian Cocoa & Hazelnut Butter, topped with sprinkle of toasted chopped hazelnuts; turmeric tea. Later a small helping of Oppo salted caramel ice cream with Sukrin Gold syrup and roasted salted pecans

Bedtime : cocoa with almond Alpro & truvia, and a tiny windfall apple

Water - some with a little added lime juice; one piece of 85% Lindt chocolate

• Like Like x 5
  6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Hugs @ziggy_w its s frustrating when you’re doing everything right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Hope your Herculean efforts yesterday have kick started things for you. You have a great attitude Ziggy.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ziggy_w

Thanks for your thoughts and for your support, @Goonergal and @DJC3.

Last night, I did another 15 minutes of the elliptical trainer because blood sugars started rising again -- but all good. Went to bed on 4.7 and woke up to a 4.5. So doing a whole lot better, albeit woke up with a headache again -- but who cares as long as blood sugars are lower.

Could it be the fact that I didn't drink wine yesterday and the day before? Possibly, I might have overdone the wine in the last half year, which might led to a bit more fat in the liver, so will try to cut back to maybe once or twice a week.

Hope y'all have a great weekend and thanks again for being there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Take care @ziggy_w sorry to hear about your battles and your headache. Feels a bit like a lottery at times the bgs.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ziggy_w

Thank you so much for your support, @shelley262. Diabetes can sometimes feel like a lonely battle, so I am so grateful for all of you on this forum.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Its so frustrating xx Are you sure you don't have a bug lurking under the surface? My BGs seem to give me advance warning of something approaching - even something mild.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

You have to smile at some of these 'healthy' place now. I find myself thinking if I'd only known then what I know now. It's good though that we are getting more choices.
    I made a quick trip to M&S yesterday since as we are on a Weekend train to Liverpool I already know there is absolutely nothing edible for me on the morning trains. It's a selection from muffins, fruit juices, bananas, so called healthy bars, yoghurt etc

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  13. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Why are they limited to 2 packs per customer?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Expert

Bed 5.3 FBG 6.2. Got a bit used to cooked breakfasts while away so cooked one myself yesterday. Not quite the same as getting it cooked for you though. Got the boys for a fair bit of today but away again early tomorrow.
    Thursday
    B. 2 GF pork chipolatos, fried egg, GF black pudding, crispy streaky bacon and a mushroom. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
    L. Nothing was busy ironing and repacking.
    D. Chicken breast. I had some of these Tesco mini packs of veg so steamed the one with sugar snaps, carrot batons, broccoli and green beans. Added a few more green beans and asperagus. Fried the chicken breast a bit then popped in the oven with the veg , a mushroom and Tesco's cider and mustard sauce with a touch of cream. Came out rather good.
    Later had a Keto creme brulee with the last of the M&S berry medley. Hubby refilled my blowtorch and I got the most fabulous burnt 'toffee' inulin top on the brulee. Still have 2 left!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. ziggy_w

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful words, @maglil55. Yes, I agree, it could also be a bug -- I'll probably won't know unless it decides to rear its head.

What makes me think that it might be the liver is that blood sugars drop right after food and rise when no food is involved. So, insulin actions seems to block glucagon release after food, and once insulin levels fall, the liver seems to chuck out glucose in excess. -- However, I might be totally wrong about this -- just trying to guess.

How are you doing today, @maglil55, after this truly awful week for you? Thinking of you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. tickorama

tickorama · Newbie

Due to recent diagnosis, I have only just started my low carb journey. Breakfast this morning was a slice of Hi-Lo bread spread with butter and a laughing cow cheese wedge. Topped with smoked salmon and a scrambled egg. Total 6g carbs.

Lunch will be some paprika chicken wings I baked last night and I'm still contemplating what to have for dinner Snapchat-156038266.jpg

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tori71

There seems to be some halloumi chip shortage in Yorkshire! They were in store when they came out and then nothing for months. There was even an article on the internet. The cashier said there were some in the 'back' to go out but they'd all be gone again by the end of the day:rolleyes:

• Hug Hug x 2
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Not just Yorkshire - Cornwall too and the one near me on the outskirts of London. Same notice saying 2 per person. I have never been able to get them so far but they must be good if they sell out so fast.
    I first started looking out for them about 2 months ago after a recommendation from someone on a different thread here.

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I know what you mean about hotel breakfasts - I always look forward to them.

The thought of Your creme brulees are making my mouth water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Tori71

I think this may be my first and only taste of them, I'll let you know what they're like. I'm sure they are disgusting;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook