What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ood morning all,

Fasting levels were 6.1 today -- seems as if sleeping in seems to lead to slightly higher levels for me.

Just saw a remarkable sequence about polar bears and diabetes today. The speaker said that scientists are interested in studying polar bears to find ways of dealing with diabetes -- as the bears seem to have unusually stable blood sugar levels. Scientists were surprised at this, since polar bears eat meat and lots of fat. :banghead: (They actually continued saying if humans ate as much fat as polar bears, we wouldn't survive.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: -- they also never seem to have to have heard about the "classic" ketogenic diet for epilepsy where sufferers have about derive 80% of their calories from fat and live to tell about it.)
I agree, about the sleeping in, but as I am lazy and retired, getting up early is not part of my regular routine
To keep on topic, my fasting level today was….. duh, I don’t know, as I forgot to check it! Not even ashamed of myself, as I do feel a bit rebellious today. Had a long walk up a big hill for a couple of hours, sat in sun, ate a flapjack with a cappucino. An hour later I checked and scored a respectable 5.4.
As for the polar bear / diabetes study, I wonder if they have stable blood glucose because they eat fat and live in the cold, and swim in freezing water. Perhaps I will experiment with that. Though I wouldn’t fancy having to check a polar bear’s BG levels.:nailbiting:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nrendo.2015.121

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit late posting today. Fasting levels were a considerably better today with 5.1, albeit after a day with relatively little food, regular exercise and less sleep.

@ert -- Happy to read your Covid symptoms seems to be improving for you. Hugs for feeling exhausted though.
@Estragon -- Brilliant results and very much deserved. All the hard work is paying off.
@ianpspurs, @Pipp, @mick808 -- I wonder why sleeping in doesn't help -- no stress, no food -- shouldn't this help?
@Pipp -- Absolutely love your ideas about being rebellious and not checking fasting levels and emulating the life of polar bears. Maybe the polar bears wear a CGM? Of course, still leaves the problem of attaching it.
Also had a look at the article you posted, @Pipp. Definitely very interesting. So, if we don't heat this winter, insulin sensitivity improves. Seems like killing two birds with one stone in light of the ever increasing costs of gas and oil. (In Germany, they are expecting prices to double or triple this winter.)
@mick808 -- Welcome to the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
Right . . . I've just had my HBA1C results and they now put ME into NORMAL, not PRE-DIABETIC, but NORMAL. Why do I mention this, because at the same time I've almost eradicated my Carb intake, swapping it out for the LCHF diet ( which I'm not too keen on) and, being dead scared of raising my Chlorestorel levels!! But guess what?: My Chlorestorel levels are normal and whilst I've been on this LCHF diet (did I say I'm not keen on it?) they have gone DOWN!

So here's the Skinny:
HBA1C - DOWN > NORMAL
Cholesterol
- DOWN > NORMAL

OCCAM'S Razor? I must be a Polar Bear.

Brilliant Estragon, well done.

Reactions: Dadio and ziggy_w

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
6.7 - Yesterday early was 6.1. By Pre evening meal 5.7, so I’m generally pleased as I’m not forgetting my HBA1C of 47.

Brilliant Estragon, well done.
Well, thank you! I keep watching your numbers and get a bit “green”. My next target is to get off of Metformin.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. IDK what fbg was as the Tee 2 kit in the lazy man's bedroom loo cum shower was like our trolley in chief so ended in the bin. Downstairs one seems believable and I'll renew Swipey Friday night. @DEBBIESCOTT great fbg and that's how I believe bg should behave although long slow cardio lowers it nicely. @JohnEGreen that seems more betterer. @Estragon why the rush to ditch metformin when it has - allegedly- benefits beyond bg control?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning, all.

5.2 for me today.

Have a great day everyone.

Reactions: DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w , my thoughts on polar bears.. As well as the high fat in their diet, it is also high protein, and I doubt there is much carb in there, either. Linked with the cold water, and freezing air temperature, that could be the reason for their non-diabetes status. However, I am not convinced that comparison between humans and polar bears is going to be useful.
As for the sleeping late, giving us higher fasting levels, I believe our livers detect a difference in sleep state and give us the DP kick start regardless. This morning, in semi wake mode I tested at first light, and it was 7.1, turned over, and dozed for an hour and a half then tested again, 5.8. So once again, I go against the DP theory. Unless my body has now adapted to my slothful morning routine, and DP gets in early.