Bread and Butter Pudding
- Place the raisins and sultanas in a small non-metallic bowl and pour over the tea and the brandy extract. Cover with clingfilm and leave to soak for at least 2 hours (overnight is best). Drain off any excess juices and reserve.
- Spread the bread with the margarine. Remove the crusts and cut each slice into 4 triangles. Grease a 2.5 litre (41/2 pint) shallow ovenproof dish with a little of the remaining margarine and arrange a layer of the bread triangles in the bottom of the dish, margarine-side up. Scatter over half of the soaked dried fruits and place another layer of the bread triangles on top, margarine-side up – you should have used about two-thirds of them at this stage. Set the remainder aside. Scatter over the remaining soaked dried fruits and press down gently into the dish with a fish slice.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and the icing sugar in a large jug. Add the vanilla extract and milk, whisking to combine. Pour two-thirds of this custard over the layered bread triangles and leave to stand for 45 minutes–1 hour until the bread has soaked up all of the custard.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.Pour the remaining custard mixture over the soaked bread and margarine triangles. Arrange the rest of the bread triangles on top, margarine-side up. Press the slices down firmly with a fish slice so that the custard comes half-way up the bread triangles. Sprinkle over the nutmeg and caster sugar.
- Place the dish into a roasting tin and pour warm water into the tin so that it comes three-quarters of the way up the dish. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until the custard has just set and the top is golden brown.
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a liquidiser and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve to remove the pips. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Drizzle some raspberry sauce over the pudding and serve.
Nutrional Facts (Per Serving)
361 kcals, 14g fat, 4g saturated fat, 49g carbohydrate, 0.47g
Recipe Comments and Suggestions
Healthy Eating for Diabetes, by Antony Worrall Thompson with Azmina
To make Bread and Butter Pudding, you'll need:
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 50g (2oz) raisins
- 4 tablespoons strong tea
- 1 tablespoon brandy extract or flavouring
- 14 slices medium-cut wholegrain bread
- 75g (3oz) unsalted margarine, softened
- 4 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 700ml (11/4 pints) skimmed milk
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- For the raspberry sauce
- 125g (41/2oz) fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Juice of 2 limes